PDA

View Full Version : Chris Stewart

INSox56
09-27-2006, 08:58 PM
I have recently seen some posts that say we need to get a backup catcher. I don't know how his hitting is, but why in the world can this catcher not be Stewart? The guy played great in ST and did anyone watch the game tonight? Threw out one damn fine base stealer in Sizemore TWICE tonight...and one of those was off of Haeger. Which means the fastest it could have been would be 85, assuming it was a fastball.

I know it's one game, but I don't seem to remember the last time AJ caught anyone stealing, I think the guy would make a great backstop, backup or not.

SOXandILLINI
09-27-2006, 09:01 PM
i don't know if the kid will ever be an offensive threat or not haven't seen anywhere near enough. i have seen enough of his release down to 2nd base to tell you of whose release it looks like... thurman munson, ultra quick.

Iwritecode
09-27-2006, 09:13 PM
Can he make plays at the plate? I can't count how many times AJ has had a perfect relay throw to get a runner at the plate and failed to catch the ball or missed the tag...

SOXandILLINI
09-27-2006, 09:16 PM
aj is overrated as a reciever, hawks man love for him is scary sometimes, but i like aj overall.

beckett21
09-27-2006, 09:16 PM
The fact that he threw Sizemore out twice, once off of Haeger, impressed the hell out of me. Sizemore is not an easy guy to throw out under any circumstances.

I know nothing about the kid's game, but color me impressed. I'd definitely like to see some more.

Frater Perdurabo
09-27-2006, 09:19 PM
I subscribe to the theory that a catcher needs to focus on his "defensive" responsibilities first: catching the ball, fielding the position, throwing out runners, working with the pitchers, calling pitches and ideally calling games.

Beyond that, the catcher should be able to hit situationally: advance runners with ground balls to the right side, score runs with sac flies, and do the other little things. If a catcher can do that, hitting above .250 is a bonus. If Stewart can do that, there's no reason why he can't be A.J.'s backup next year.

I think it's likely that the reason why A.J.'s batting average has fallen in the second half this year is because he's tired; with Widger being so bad and then the fossilized Alomar coming in, A.J. has had to play a lot of games. In addition, he caught almost every innings last October.

I'd be very pleased if Stewart could do the things I listed above and start 2-3 games each week in 2007. After all, who was the last catcher the Sox actually developed? Josh Paul? Ron Karkovice? Joel Skinner?

JB98
09-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Stewart has impressed tonight. Who knows whether he can hit enough? I sure as hell haven't seen enough at-bats to have an informed opinion. But a backup catcher doesn't need to hit much if he's solid defensively. I'm pretty certain Stewart is a better defensive catcher than Alomar.

BA: The Hitman
09-27-2006, 09:26 PM
I'd be very pleased if Stewart could do the things I listed above and start 2-3 games each week in 2007. After all, who was the last catcher the Sox actually developed? Josh Paul? Ron Karkovice? Joel Skinner?[/quote]

2-3 games a week seems a bit much, him and aj would almost be splitting time, but it would be nice to have a backup catcher not named sandy alomar or widger. Stewart's offensive numbers didn't look too impressive in AAA, but as long as he is solid defensively not much is expected out of a backup catcher.

And we developed Josh Paul just fine. Don't you remember him throwing that ball back to the mound in game 2 of the alcs. :smile:

Norberto7
09-27-2006, 09:44 PM
Yeah, Stewart's release to second was pretty damn impressive. I liked the way he walked off after the second time he threw out Sizemore, like he expected to do it, 'cause it's his job. Almost makes you wonder if he could throw out runners with Garc.... ah, who am I kidding.

Frater Perdurabo
09-27-2006, 09:50 PM
2-3 games a week seems a bit much, him and aj would almost be splitting time, but it would be nice to have a backup catcher not named sandy alomar or widger. Stewart's offensive numbers didn't look too impressive in AAA, but as long as he is solid defensively not much is expected out of a backup catcher.

And we developed Josh Paul just fine. Don't you remember him throwing that ball back to the mound in game 2 of the alcs. :smile:

Agreed on Josh Paul :tongue: ; it's just too bad from an organizational standpoint that his best moment out of bone-headedness.

I'd love to see the Sox have a backup catcher good enough to start 60 games. A.J. would be better rested and probably perform better than he already does at the plate if he could rest 2-3 times per week. Hopefully Stewart is the answer.

Myrtle72
09-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Stewart looks awesome and to be honest, I am really not a fan of Alomar. I know he wants to come back to the Sox and all, but I'd much rather see a fresh/new glove back there.

His hitting hasn't been good tonight. But then again, how much can you expect froma catcher coming up from the minors?

I'd be thrilled if he would replace Alomar. That would be fantasic.

I wonder how AJ would feel about that. Isn't that what happened with Mauer?

BiggestFan14
09-27-2006, 09:56 PM
I think he should be the backup next year, his caught stealing throws were awesome tonight. And even though he is 0 for 7 so far at the plate, he doesn't look bad at all.

ssirish317
09-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Can he make plays at the plate? I can't count how many times AJ has had a perfect relay throw to get a runner at the plate and failed to catch the ball or missed the tag...

I've noticed the same thing...even last year. He seems more worried about avoiding the hit that might be coming than coming up with the ball and making the tag.

Sargeant79
09-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Stewart looks awesome and to be honest, I am really not a fan of Alomar. I know he wants to come back to the Sox and all, but I'd much rather see a fresh/new glove back there.

If Alomar comes back next year, it will be as a coach, not a catcher.

soxinem1
09-27-2006, 11:35 PM
He threw Sizemore out the second time on a knuckler, and the ball was waiting for Grady to slide into.

I know it's only one game, but that was the best throw I've seen from a Sox catcher since Karkovice was young and Mike Lavalliere first came to the Sox in 1993.

Let's see how he handles someone like Vasquez and Contreras too, guys with moving pitches and slow deliveries. Haeger actually unleashes pretty well, unlike the three slow guys we currently have in the rotation.

Maybe if Garcia didn't take 45 seconds to unload, he could help him......

Domeshot17
09-28-2006, 02:17 AM
who cares if he can hit. What helps the team more

Sandys 1 for 3 nights with his meaningless base hit but bad game calling and allowing anyone who pleases to be on 2nd base

OR

Stewart going 0-3 but keeping guys from strolling into scoring position.

There is a reason guys like Brad Ausmus and Mike Matheny will always have a job, not matter how soft they hit, they call a fantastic game, and they have a hose behind the dish. If Stewart can hit .240 in a reserve role, i would keep him in a second. Now if he is hitting .140, thats a different story

BigPapaPump
09-28-2006, 06:09 AM
I think everyone is jumping the gun here, I didn't see the game and I can't comment on his catching abilities, but he's still young and needs some more time in the minors. Getting to play in the majors once every 5 games is going to hurt this guy at the plate.

ajismyhero
09-28-2006, 09:20 AM
I think Chris Stewart looked great out there - it was nice to see Sizemore out at 2nd and especially since a lot of the Central division ran the bases so well against us this year I would think if it last night's performance is indicative of his ability, Stewart would be a great back-up.

Hangar18
09-28-2006, 09:23 AM
I have recently seen some posts that say we need to get a backup catcher. I don't know how his hitting is, but why in the world can this catcher not be Stewart? The guy played great in ST and did anyone watch the game tonight? Threw out one damn fine base stealer in Sizemore TWICE tonight...and one of those was off of Haeger. Which means the fastest it could have been would be 85, assuming it was a fastball.

I know it's one game, but I don't seem to remember the last time AJ caught anyone stealing, I think the guy would make a great backstop, backup or not.

I was going to mention that .......... he GUNNED down Sizemore big time.
Best throw from a SOX catcher ive seen in quite some time.

Hangar18
09-28-2006, 09:26 AM
who cares if he can hit. What helps the team more

Sandys 1 for 3 nights with his meaningless base hit but bad game calling and allowing anyone who pleases to be on 2nd base

OR

Stewart going 0-3 but keeping guys from strolling into scoring position.

There is a reason guys like Brad Ausmus and Mike Matheny will always have a job, not matter how soft they hit, they call a fantastic game, and they have a hose behind the dish. If Stewart can hit .240 in a reserve role, i would keep him in a second. Now if he is hitting .140, thats a different story

Thats the big question. If he throws like that, I have to say he has to be considered, I didnt know he cant be. These were LASERS he threw. I actually stood up and hollered when he got Sizemore, I dont think Sizemore had any idea he was going to be out like that.

soxtalker
09-28-2006, 09:45 AM
Nice to see a catcher who can intimidate runners. Then again, those other qualities -- calling a game and batting average -- will be the key. (Remember, we don't have to go too far back to find a Sox catcher with a great arm -- Miguel Olivo.)

Britt Burns
09-28-2006, 10:04 AM
Stewart could nail 75% of runners trying to steal but if he hits .150 it isn't going to make much difference...if he can be even decent at the plate, he has a cance to stick around for a while. hope he does, because he was impressive last night.

Myrtle72
09-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Stewart could nail 75% of runners trying to steal but if he hits .150 it isn't going to make much difference...if he can be even decent at the plate, he has a cance to stick around for a while. hope he does, because he was impressive last night.

I'd give him some time on the hitting. I mean, he has only started in one major league game, you can't expect him to go 4/4 or whatever. I would imagine that the pitchers are very different and the whole new atmosphere can throw a hitter off. Look at BA, he hit very poorly in the first half but managed to almost double his average by the end of the season. I think the catching skills come first when it comes to Stewart, and any other new backup catcher, and the hitting can, and probably will, follow that.

kitekrazy
09-28-2006, 01:54 PM

His hitting hasn't been good tonight. But then again, how much can you expect froma catcher coming up from the minors?

I'd be thrilled if he would replace Alomar. That would be fantasic.

I wonder how AJ would feel about that. Isn't that what happened with Mauer?

Oh I hope we are thru with any player who is named Alomar. I really think the reason for last years success of the staff was due to A.J. calling a good game.
I really got sick of watching Alomar call for a majority of the pitches on the outside corner.

WHo knows maybe next year Alomar can be one of the coaches in the Sox system.