PDA

View Full Version : AJ has a problem with Coop and Garland?

PatK
09-27-2006, 11:50 AM
The Sun-Times had an article today saying how the Sox can't get rid of AJ, but he needs to patch up a strained relationship with Garland and Coop.

This is the first time I've heard on any problem. Can anyone fill me in?

esbrechtel
09-27-2006, 12:05 PM
they are discussing this in the classy clevland thread.....they dont clear the air though

mrs. hendu
09-27-2006, 12:27 PM
If this is true, last year's team chemistry seems to be gone... Well, they'd better work things out before 2007.

AuroraSoxFan
09-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Those wrtiers have no idea what they're talkign about. Don't you think AJ would make it pretty evident if he had an issue with someone?? I also highly doubt KW would allow that kinda junk either. Hell with those writers.

soxfan13
09-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Those wrtiers have no idea what they're talkign about. Don't you think AJ would make it pretty evident if he had an issue with someone?? I also highly doubt KW would allow that kinda junk either. Hell with those writers.

All writers are evil they dont know what they are talking about. Us fans with much better access to the team know everything.

soxtalker
09-27-2006, 12:35 PM
I would think that other factors might affect AJ's availability for trade -- his $5.5MM salary for next year (and 2008) and the poor record throwing out runners. Of course, if KW would consider trading him, he has to find a replacement.

NardiWasHere
09-27-2006, 12:36 PM

:?: :rolleyes:

YEAH! screw those journalists and all that reporting they do! who do they think they are doing their job like that!

There are bad relationships in clubhouses all the time in sports. How often is it made evident by the players themselves?

EDIT: I was beat to this by 2 min.... serves me right for taking so long to complete a post.

soxfan13
09-27-2006, 12:40 PM

YEAH! screw those journalists and all that reporting they do! who do they think they are doing their job like that!

There are bad relationships in clubhouses all the time in sports. How often is it made evident by the players themselves?

EDIT: I was beat to this by 2 min.... serves me right for taking so long to complete a post.

Its ok Ill let you on the soapbox:wink:

hold2dibber
09-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Those wrtiers have no idea what they're talkign about. Don't you think AJ would make it pretty evident if he had an issue with someone??

No, particularly not to the public.

I also highly doubt KW would allow that kinda junk either.

Wouldn't allow guys to get into arguments or disagreements or not like each other? C'mon. We're talking about 25 grown men. There's nothing KW can do to prevent tensions and strained relationships.

southside rocks
09-27-2006, 12:49 PM

I agree. It'd be more remarkable if there were NO disagreements, rifts, or outright hates on a ballclub that consists of 30-some professional athletes.

I love AJ but come on, there aren't any Eagle Scouts on any team, and a team meeting doesn't consist of the guys singing Kumbaya and finishing with a group hug.

Just read Jim Bouton's book, or Jim Brosnan's book, or Mike Marshall's book, or any book by a former player about a season, and plenty of dislikes and discords will be mentioned. Grown men, professional athletes, can be expected to play and win even if they don't love everybody in their clubhouse.

esbrechtel
09-27-2006, 01:59 PM
i once heard "you dont have to be best friends teammate but you must respect him"....thats your deep thought for the day...

TDog
09-27-2006, 02:11 PM
i once heard "you dont have to be best friends teammate but you must respect him"....thats your deep thought for the day...

A Cubs fan told me he read that AJ kicked Cooper in the groin after he refused to play cards with Garland.

Not really, but I would expect as much.

fquaye149
09-27-2006, 03:44 PM
All writers are evil they dont know what they are talking about. Us fans with much better access to the team know everything.

When you're talking about Chicago media, why do you need the teal here?

Mudville
09-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Right now, who knows if there's anything to all of this? However, AJ has been let go for (allegedly) being a clubhouse distraction in SF, despite still being owed money and having nobody better to catch. And was also kicked to the curb by the Twins once they had a suitable alternative in Mauer. His two previous MLB stops did not end gracefully, and nobody was in a major rush to sign him prior to 2005. So it's not too hard to imagine that the Sox will discard him, like others have done before.

MadetoOrta
09-27-2006, 04:12 PM
The Oakland A's in the early '70's hated each other and their owner and proceeded to win 3 straight World Series'. Sometimes the tension makes it better.

I'm sure the cubs players love one another and - of course - love their easy-going manager. What did that get them?

This subject can be responded to this way ...:rolleyes:

southside rocks
09-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Right now, who knows if there's anything to all of this? However, AJ has been let go for (allegedly) being a clubhouse distraction in SF, despite still being owed money and having nobody better to catch. And was also kicked to the curb by the Twins once they had a suitable alternative in Mauer. His two previous MLB stops did not end gracefully, and nobody was in a major rush to sign him prior to 2005. So it's not too hard to imagine that the Sox will discard him, like others have done before.

Not quite -- the Giants signed Mike Matheny to a long-term contract, and then they dumped AJ. They didn't let him go before they had the catcher they really wanted all along in place.

12/14/2004

Giants land catcher Matheny
By Laurence Miedema - Mercury News (http://www.bayarea.com/)
When the Giants set out to improve their up-the-middle defense this off-season, they envisioned a Mike Matheny-type catcher to hold it together.
Monday, they got the real deal.
Matheny and the Giants agreed to a $10.5 million, three-year contract that has an option for 2008.
``He's a who's who at his position,'' Giants General Manager Brian Sabean said during a news conference at SBC Park to introduce the former St. Louis Cardinals catcher.
``He's one of these guys that don't come around often.''
The arrival of Matheny, a three-time Gold Glove winner, ends A.J. Pierzynski's turbulent one-year stay with the Giants.
Sabean didn't rule out attempting to trade Pierzynski, who is eligible for salary arbitration, but said the Giants more likely will release him before Dec. 20 (the deadline to offer arbitration) so Pierzynski can start looking for another team.

And the rest, as they say, is history -- AJ signed with the Sox two weeks later. Not exactly "nobody in a rush to sign him" -- he didn't sit on the market for too long, even though it was acknowledged that he had to talk KW into the offer. :cool:

As for the Twins -- they traded AJ for Joe Nathan, Boof Bonser, and Francisco Liriano. Shoot, anybody'd make that trade! And they traded AJ when Joe Mauer was ready to step in behind the plate.

Not only that, during AJ's bad year in SF, Ron Gardenhire and the Twins who had played with AJ all spoke up for him.

The Sox signed AJ to a 3-year contract before the start of the 2006 season. Sure, they could "discard him" -- but they could also reasonably expect him to grow up and handle his issues. He's not been a problem for the Sox so far, and this vague mention of a strained relationship with Coop and Garland is the first hint that anything's amiss.

The "Hate AJ" movement gets a little carried away sometimes.

The Immigrant
09-27-2006, 04:15 PM

:dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll:

A.J. won the World Series with the White Sox, and he will do so again.

AuroraSoxFan
09-27-2006, 04:19 PM
gang up on me all you want folks. i could not care less. All I am saying is that from what I can tell AJ would have a rough time hiding a conflict woth anyone. His troubles in the SF clubhouse were no secret. Was also saying that most writers around here (Trib and Sun Times) will do almost anything to create any kind of negative buzz about the Sox. Even around ASB when they were 26 over .500 they still printed a LOT of negative material on the Sox.

southside rocks
09-27-2006, 04:22 PM
gang up on me all you want folks. i could not care less. All I am saying is that from what I can tell AJ would have a rough time hiding a conflict woth anyone. His troubles in the SF clubhouse were no secret. Was also saying that most writers around here (Trib and Sun Times) will do almost anything to create any kind of negative buzz about the Sox. Even around ASB when they were 26 over .500 they still printed a LOT of negative material on the Sox.

I completely agree. And I am not ganging up on you, I am simply disagreeing with the statement that the Giants dumped AJ without having another catcher on hand, or that the Twins despised him as much as SF did.

Based on his past, it does seem that AJ's troubles with anyone would be seen and known and talked about. And that hasn't been the case here in Chicago for him. Maybe AJ's finally growing up; and maybe there aren't as many jackasses on the White Sox -- players and management -- as there are/were on the Giants.

Chicken Dinner
09-27-2006, 04:24 PM
SF has Bonds. Like they have a lot of credibility.

Mudville
09-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Not quite -- the Giants signed Mike Matheny to a long-term contract, and then they dumped AJ. They didn't let him go before they had the catcher they really wanted all along in place.

The "Hate AJ" movement gets a little carried away sometimes.

Thanks for the clarification on Matheny. I'm still not sure he constitutes a BETTER alternative, but he's definitely viable. And I don't hate AJ at all--I only bring up that he's been sent packing two times already, despite having a pretty decent career. My main point is that nobody should be shocked to see something happen again that's already happened twice, especially if there's any truth to the rift between him, Cooper, and Garland.

PatK
09-27-2006, 04:29 PM
I thought that the whole AJ thing in SF was overblown, and that basically it was Brett Tomko running his mouth off.

Nobody from the Twins had anything bad to say about him, IIRC.

StillMissOzzie
09-27-2006, 04:31 PM
I agree. It'd be more remarkable if there were NO disagreements, rifts, or outright hates on a ballclub that consists of 30-some professional athletes, many with monumental egos.

Grown men, professional athletes, can be expected to play and win even if they don't love everybody in their clubhouse.

Amended that for you! :D:

I'm not surprised everything isn't peaches and cream (or Peaches and Herb, for that matter...) in ANY clubhouse, but I find it odd that an accusation like this only comes to light when the Sox are on their final road trip and won't be back home again before the season ends.

SMO
:gulp:

AuroraSoxFan
09-27-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the clarification on Matheny. I'm still not sure he constitutes a BETTER alternative, but he's definitely viable. And I don't hate AJ at all--I only bring up that he's been sent packing two times already, despite having a pretty decent career. My main point is that nobody should be shocked to see something happen again that's already happened twice, especially if there's any truth to the rift between him, Cooper, and Garland.

There very well could be some kind of mishap. I just will not buy into it by any means until it comes from a LEGIT source. And neither "major" publication in Chi is a legit source IMO. I'd believe it more if a player/coach mentioned it at a bar when he was drunk out of his head than seeing it printed in either of the 2 main newspapers.

Martinigirl
09-27-2006, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't find it surprising if AJ rubbed JG the wrong way. AJ is loud and in your face, with a touch of OCD, while JG is laid back and kind of quiet. But even if AJ and Garland don't get along, I think Gar's record proves they still work well together.

But that said, it may all just be BS.

jdm2662
09-27-2006, 04:58 PM
It's amazing that all stuff gets out once the Sox have been eliminated. Garland and AJ may very well don't get along. Who gives a crap? If they are professional enough to work together, being buddies is moot point. Every work place in every profession have certain people who don't get along with one another. Hell, there have always been people I've disliked at every job I've had. It never stopped me from doing what is important, the job itself. The only thing that matters is producing results. You wouldn't be hearing this stuff if the Sox were in the playoffs.

Myrtle72
09-27-2006, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't find it suprising at all that AJ has a couple of people on the Sox he doesn't get along with. For one, he's AJ and he's the type of person you either love or hate. For two, I don't think I know a single person who doesn't have some enimies or at least people they don't quite get along with. It's human nature, honestly. Neither the Sox, nor any other team in baseball, are going to find enough people they get along so well that they will never have any fights or disagreements on any given team. It's just not possible with 30-40 men hanging around each other all day. C'mon now, be realistic.

So, even if AJ does happen to have a problem with Coop and Garland, well that sucks, but it is no way a reason for him to get traded. Look at the year Garland is having, if he didn't get along with AJ it obviously doesn't affect performance. So, who really cares, anyway?

To be honest though, I hardly believe this is even something worth writing about. There may be something minor, but I'm sure that it's not a big deal to any of the players involved. If it was, don't you think Ozzie would have played Alomar when Garland was pitching? He is so liberal with his use of backup players anyway, I would imaging he'd have no problem making that substitution if necessary. Instead, Alomar was Buehrle's "personal catcher"... maybe AJ has a problem with Buehrle, too!

fquaye149
09-27-2006, 05:06 PM

What are you talking about? Yes, he left the Giants under sketchy circumstances, but ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR ****ING MIND RE: The Twins?

a.) AJ was going to arbitration
b.) AJ was going to make a lot of money
c.) Joe Mauer was going to replace him
i.) Joe Mauer is one of the best hitters in baseball
ii.) Joe Mauer is a much much much better defensive catcher

How on earth was that him not leaving gracefully? That's like saying Jim Thome did not leave Philadelphia gracefully. So you have ONE example (out of TWO) of AJ leaving "ungracefully" and that makes this a "recurring theme"?

Mudville
09-27-2006, 06:22 PM
What are you talking about? Yes, he left the Giants under sketchy circumstances, but ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR ****ING MIND RE: The Twins?

How on earth was that him not leaving gracefully? That's like saying Jim Thome did not leave Philadelphia gracefully. So you have ONE example (out of TWO) of AJ leaving "ungracefully" and that makes this a "recurring theme"?

The "recurring theme" (your words, not mine) is that both of AJ's past teams didn't hesitate to go in other directions, despite his performing at a reasonably high level. Sure, the Twins made the right call on Mauer, but in the winter of 2003, he was NOT one of the best hitters in baseball (he'd never even played above AA) nor had he yet established himself as a major league quality defensive catcher. He was still only a prospect, albeit an excellent one. Sorry you got hung up on the word "graceful"; perhaps "indignity" is a better term when a young All-Star-caliber player is traded for injured/unestablished/unproven players (Liriano/Bonser/Nathan.)

I definitely don't advocate dealing AJ, but considering his reputation of being difficult, why should anyone think he's bullet-proof in Chicago?

pearso66
09-27-2006, 07:01 PM

You missed
d) The Giants gave the Twins Nathan, Liriano and Bonser for AJ.

If you have a replacement catcher, how can you not trade one for 3 decent/good pitchers. Obviously it wasn't known how Nathan and Liriano would turn out, but those are 3 relatively young pitchers for a catcher whom you already have a replacement for.

fquaye149
09-27-2006, 07:20 PM
You missed
d) The Giants gave the Twins Nathan, Liriano and Bonser for AJ.

If you have a replacement catcher, how can you not trade one for 3 decent/good pitchers. Obviously it wasn't known how Nathan and Liriano would turn out, but those are 3 relatively young pitchers for a catcher whom you already have a replacement for.

Yup, even better...of course at the time they didn't know how they would turn out. It's kind of like how the Phillies got Haigwood and Gonzalez for Thome...if they turn out to be great, it's an even better trade, but it still made sense because it cut payroll and gave Ryan Howard an everyday spot.

chaerulez
09-27-2006, 07:25 PM

Why would AJ air dirty laundry? Many people don't realize the friction that existed on some of the Bulls championship teams. The whole chemistry thing is really BS. No one talks about it when the team is winning and how AJ is great. But when a team doesn't succeed, it becomes a focal point. Don't think that AJ rubbed everyone the right way last year too. But it was winning and success that was able to mask it. Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling weren't exactly buddies either on the D-Backs, but they won it all. Examples like this can go on and on. I don't expect all 25 players on a roster to get along. This really isn't at all surprising to me.

areilly
09-27-2006, 08:12 PM
Show me someone who never had a problem with a co-worker and I'll show you someone who's never had a job.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-27-2006, 08:30 PM
This BS is being made up so it looks like Ozzie never had control.

IF AJ had a problem with Cooper, or anyone on the staff this would have come out WAY before the last week of the season.

It's this type of **** we'll have to read about all offseason as the "experts" tell us why the Sox failed to make the postseason. I give it zero credence and refuse to read it.

Trav
09-27-2006, 08:42 PM
This BS is being made up so it looks like Ozzie never had control.

IF AJ had a problem with Cooper, or anyone on the staff this would have come out WAY before the last week of the season.

It's this type of **** we'll have to read about all offseason as the "experts" tell us why the Sox failed to make the postseason. I give it zero credence and refuse to read it.

This is something that will give the newspapers and radio people something to talk about during a time before the FA season. Made up or not, I would like to hear what Guillen has to say about it. And I am sure I will read about it soon.

FarWestChicago
09-27-2006, 08:55 PM
My gawd, some of you are worse than complete gossip whores. Why don't you get a subscription to the Star or something? You'll find even more titillating crap. :rolleyes:

southside rocks
09-27-2006, 08:59 PM
My gawd, some of you are worse than complete gossip whores. Why don't you get a subscription to the Star or something? You'll find even more titillating crap. :rolleyes:

It makes a nice change from the constant speculation about why Ozzie hates Brian Anderson, though! :tongue:

RadioheadRocks
09-27-2006, 09:22 PM

... not to mention the latest dish on Paris Hilton!!! :rolleyes:

JB98
09-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Garland has enjoyed the two finest years of his career with AJ behind the plate. I don't give a **** if the two hate each other, as long as the results on the field are good.

All this "chemistry" stuff is and always has been a tremendous crock of bull****. AJ caught each and every one of Jon's starts during his recent hot streak. Obviously, the chemistry of the 2005 team has been destroyed. Bring back A-Row!

Frontman
09-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Well, I don't know any of the 3 men personally, so I can't speak to their thoughts of each other. But I do believe we would hear about it from them, not reporters. Or at least they would quote someone credible. And AJ talks about working with Coop all the time he comes on the Score, and has aired how he was giving Mark a hard time about Sandy needing to be brought in to catch him, I'm sure we would of heard from him that "Garland pisses me off" or something, anything.

Now, 20 years ago I set a medley relay swim team record in High School with 3 guys that we did not like each other, (matter of fact, I was the odd man out of that little group, those 3 being tight, me being the one that didn't get along with any of them) but together, noone could beat us. We practiced together, we worked out together, lifted together, and we swam on the same team. But beyond that, we wouldn't of pissed on each other if we were on fire. But when it came to competition, we knew each move, each turn, each look; to a point we never even had to talk. We just did what we had to do. Call it what you want, but to me THAT is team chemistry.

Chemistry is always mistaken for being buddies, catching movies together, that type of crap. But chemistry on a team is really what makes a team work well together. Working is playing baseball, not buying each other drinks or laughing it up in the clubhouse.

Front

ChiSoxGirl
09-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Per the Tribune sports section (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060927soxbits,1,2621756.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines) online this morning:

"Where did our feud come from?" said Garland, who was tagged for 12 runs with Pierzynski behind the plate Monday. "I think he should have caught the ball at the plate, but so does he. That's a given.

"I've never had a feud with the guy since he has been here. I won't agree with some of the stuff he does sometimes, but I don't think half the league does either."

I guess this puts to rest any "problems" that existed.

salty99
09-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Of course AJ also said on the Score that Mark Buehrle shouldn't be in a tree stand 24 hours a day. I'm sure the guys give each other good-natured ribbing all the time that gets misconstrued as being conflicts.

SoxFan78
09-28-2006, 10:25 AM
AJ just denied this rumor on the Mike North Show

He also said that him and Coop have a better relationship now then they did in 2005.

mark2olson
09-28-2006, 10:32 AM
AJ just denied this rumor on the Mike North Show

He also said that him and Coop have a better relationship now then they did in 2005.

He also gave kudos to Mark Gonzales for coming directly to the sources to clear things up.

jenn2080
09-28-2006, 10:46 AM
I say **** it. Trade them all. The kids can't get along. GET RID OF THEM!

southside rocks
09-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Joe Cowley in the Sun-Times also addressed this, and said that there seems to be no basis to it.
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/74681,CST-SPT-soxnt28.article

From that article, this made me laugh:

Garland seemed almost taken back by the idea that he and Pierzynski didn't get along. ''I don't even remember ever having a disagreement,'' Garland said. ''I don't always agree with some of the stuff he does sometimes, but I don't think half the league does, either. Shouting match? I never heard of that one.''

I can just picture Garland trying to answer the question politely, but to himself he's thinking "where do you people get this crap? Geez, you need to get a life!" :tongue:

AuroraSoxFan
09-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Just goes to show to not buy too far into something off the bat just cause it's in a newspaper. Was just a wrtier trying to create more of a negative buzz about the sox. nothing more, nothing less. Honestly besides Roeper, Telander and Phil Rogers, I do not take much of anything anyone else in the Trib or ST prints too seriosuly.

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2006, 11:08 AM
Joe Cowley in the Sun-Times also addressed this, and said that there seems to be no basis to it.
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/74681,CST-SPT-soxnt28.article

From that article, this made me laugh:

Garland seemed almost taken back by the idea that he and Pierzynski didn't get along. ''I don't even remember ever having a disagreement,'' Garland said. ''I don't always agree with some of the stuff he does sometimes, but I don't think half the league does, either. Shouting match? I never heard of that one.''

I can just picture Garland trying to answer the question politely, but to himself he's thinking "where do you people get this crap? Geez, you need to get a life!" :tongue: There's a switch. It's usually Cowley who is reporting these kind of fishwrap stories. In fact, when I first saw it, I assumed it was one of his.

soxchick20
09-28-2006, 12:03 PM
http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20051014&content_id=1249909&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

the picture above really shows off their hatred for one another
:rolleyes:

Myrtle72
09-28-2006, 12:09 PM
http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20051014&content_id=1249909&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Awwwwh. How sweet.

Lip Man 1
09-28-2006, 01:09 PM
No.2:

Joe's the one who first mentioned it in one of the columns that I linked yesterday. Cowley did not say at that time however that the 'source' was a scout.

Lip

CLR01
09-28-2006, 02:21 PM

Why the teal? It looks to me like A.J. just gave Garland a 6 inch knife to the gut. The "hug" was just to confuse people, seems to have worked.

voodoochile
09-28-2006, 02:23 PM
Why the teal? It looks to me like A.J. just gave Garland a 6 inch knife to the gut. The "hug" was just to confuse people, seems to have worked.

Worked for Barrett...

kitekrazy
09-28-2006, 02:47 PM
The Sun-Times had an article today saying how the Sox can't get rid of AJ, but he needs to patch up a strained relationship with Garland and Coop.

This is the first time I've heard on any problem. Can anyone fill me in?

It's probably B.S. Someone has to fabricate the unexplainable collapse of the Sox. A.J. would make an easy scapegoat because of previous B.S. from a team that has no players that have ever done steroids.

The Sox are not a media darling team. There's no flair about them other than Ozzie.

Sport reporting has become so much like politcal reporting. It's loaded with bias and very few facts. The media in general has lost lots of it's intergrity.

I do believe the Chicag media is trying to turn the 2006 Sox into the 2004 Cubs and make sure everyone is cry baby.

Myrtle72
09-28-2006, 03:12 PM
I do believe the Chicag media is trying to turn the 2006 Sox into the 2004 Cubs and make sure everyone is cry baby.

Bingo.

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2006, 05:01 PM
No.2:

Joe's the one who first mentioned it in one of the columns that I linked yesterday. Cowley did not say at that time however that the 'source' was a scout.

LipI thought I recognized Tailgunner Joe's hand in this.

Martinigirl
09-28-2006, 05:13 PM
No.2:

Lip

It was Deluca's article, not Cowley.

jongarlandlover
09-28-2006, 10:29 PM

hehe. honestly, i can't picture jon getting like uber mad at anyone ever. he seems to laid back.

Myrtle72
10-01-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has posted about this yet, and if so, sorry to repeat.

But if you're interested in hearing about the issue, first hand, from AJ's own mouth - see the September 28th interview with Mike North.

http://www.670thescore.com/podspot/pages/morningshow/1.shtml

shoelessshaun27!
10-01-2006, 02:48 PM
The writers are probably just trying to start something because they have nothing better to do.