PDA

View Full Version : Yankees board

thomas35forever
09-26-2006, 11:41 PM
Does anyone feel like posting on the Yankees board come playoff time so we can root against the Twins with them?

Also, this sounds classless, but when the Twins get swept would you want to get back at what the Twinkie fans did to us?

Myrtle72
09-26-2006, 11:53 PM
As tempted as I am to get back at them, that would be pretty classless :tongue:

We're better, we know it, and we can show them by not stooping down to their level.

But, regardless, go Yanks. I can't stand the Twins or any of their stupid fans.

Sox-o-matic
09-27-2006, 12:14 AM
I'm sure the Yankee fans will be more negative than we can ever be.

Palehose Pete
09-27-2006, 12:22 AM
Meh.

I said it in another thread, but I would rather see the Twins win because they're stronger than the Tigers right now and I'd like to see another championship banner in the AL Central. Also, the Mets are going to World Series in all likelihood and if the Yanks made it to the WS, a NY/NY World Series would be bad. BAAAAAD.

RealMenWearBlack
09-27-2006, 12:23 AM
We're not even sure yet if the Tigers or Twins will face the Yankees. Hopefully we can win a game or two this weekend to set up a Twins-Yankees ALDS.

Nellie_Fox
09-27-2006, 12:47 AM
Yeah, let's all root for General Motors to defeat the little guy.

How in the world can you want the biggest market, biggest budget team to beat one of the smallest market, smallest budget teams in baseball? How can you hate the Twins for being successful with absolutely nothing? Unlike the Yankees, they develop their own talent out of their farm system. They play the game the way it's supposed to be played.

Besides, when the team that beat out our beloved Sox gets blown out, what does that say about the Sox?

CLR01
09-27-2006, 12:52 AM
Besides, when the team that beat out our beloved Sox gets blown out, what does that say about the Sox?

It says the Sox played like poo for half a season. We already know that though.

beckett21
09-27-2006, 01:01 AM

How in the world can you want the biggest market, biggest budget team to beat one of the smallest market, smallest budget teams in baseball? How can you hate the Twins for being successful with absolutely nothing? Unlike the Yankees, they develop their own talent out of their farm system. They play the game the way it's supposed to be played.

As much as I hate to say it, I'll begrudgingly be cheering for the Twins in the postseason despite the recent troll onslaught.

I respect the Twins' organization and the way they approach the game in general. They continue to get the most out of the least.

I don't think they can beat the Yankees, but I think their best chance would be in a shorter series. They'd be better off with the WC and facing the Yankees first IMO.

No way in hell would I ever root for Oakland or any team from the state of Michigan.

chaerulez
09-27-2006, 01:34 AM

I agree, granted the Twins have quite a few stupid fans that love to troll message boards. I'm sure the Sox have stupid fans too. I don't care who wins it all as long as it's not the Yankees. With their insane spending and huge number of obnoxious and bandwagon fans along with a generally unlikable team (A-Rod, the two BALCO jerks, Randy Johnson), I would rather see one of our division foes get it. Hey, if that happens we can at least say we lost out the divison to the best.

(There are NL teams I'd rather see win it though, like the Phillies, but the chance of a NL team winning it this year really isn't very likely)

voodoochile
09-27-2006, 08:42 AM
Gonna be a tough post season to root for anyone for me. I think the Yankees are the team to beat. I've felt that way for a while and am not sure the Sox could have beat them this post season. That's one amazingly talented team.

As an admin on the site, I strongly caution people from trolling other boards for whatever reason. If they come back here looking for you, you gone.

Paulwny
09-27-2006, 09:27 AM

Agree, let's all cheer for the > $200 mil payroll and then later complain that a certain FA didn't sign with the sox because King George offered him more $$$.

Deuce
09-27-2006, 10:03 AM
I honestly don't care how the post-season plays out. Well, I would love to see the Mets sweep the Yankees.

That would shut everyone up for a bit... except the Mets fans of course.

johnr1note
09-27-2006, 12:14 PM

This is one of baseball's "urban legends." While the Yankees have an obscenely high payroll, they have actually developed thier own talent. If you compare the everyday players on the roster of both the Twins and the Yankees, the Yankees actually have a few more players who have contributed to thier success this year that came out of the Yankee system than the Twins have who came out of thier own system. The difference, of course, is the free agents that Yankees do sign or obtain from other teams tend to be the big money guys (Randy Johnson, A-Rod, Damon, Giambi). But even when the Yankees were winning three consecutive world titles in the 90s, they did it with thier own home grown players, just like they are now. Jeter, Cano, Posada, Cabrara, Williams, Phillips, Cairo, Matsui, Wang, Rivera -- all integral to the Yanks success this year, all products of the Yankee system or at least they have played for no other MLB team.

I don't understand why White Sox fans hate the Yankees so much. Just because they're from New York? Because they spend a lot of money? Because thier fans are arrogant? Look, if the White Sox had a history like the Yankees, I'd be a heck of a lot more arrogant about my team.

To hate the Yankees smacks of class warefare. I hate the Yankees when they play the White Sox, just like I hate Kansas City and Tampa Bay when they play the White Sox. But I pull for the American League in competition with the NL, and I want the best team in it to prove AL superiority when it comes to the World Series. If it can't be the Sox, then let it be a team that will win it all, and prove again that the AL is far superior to the NL. I veiw the Yankees as lodge brothers. Rich, snooty ones, but lodge brothers nonetheless. The Twins? Thier like the hillbilly members. "Little guys" my foot -- they needed a court ruling to stay in existence. They are the welfare queens of MLB. The fact that they are able to spend wisely and field winning teams simply shows how piss-poor the White Sox, Claveland, and Detroit have historically been at competing.

Baby Fisk
09-27-2006, 12:20 PM
I honestly don't care how the post-season plays out. Well, I would love to see the Mets sweep the Yankees.

That would shut everyone up for a bit... except the Mets fans of course.
I'm buying what Deuce is selling!

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/players/04/05/mascots0411/t1_mascot.jpg

Nellie_Fox
09-27-2006, 12:24 PM
This is one of baseball's "urban legends." While the Yankees have an obscenely high payroll, they have actually developed thier own talent. If you compare the everyday players on the roster of both the Twins and the Yankees, the Yankees actually have a few more players who have contributed to thier success this year that came out of the Yankee system than the Twins have who came out of thier own system. The difference, of course, is the free agents that Yankees do sign or obtain from other teams tend to be the big money guys (Randy Johnson, A-Rod, Damon, Giambi). But even when the Yankees were winning three consecutive world titles in the 90s, they did it with thier own home grown players, just like they are now. Jeter, Cano, Posada, Cabrara, Williams, Phillips, Cairo, Matsui, Wang, Rivera -- all integral to the Yanks success this year, all products of the Yankee system or at least they have played for no other MLB team.What did the Yankees do when Sheffield and Matsui (high-priced free agents both; getting somebody from Japan doesn't make it different) got injured? Went out and got Bobby Abreiu. How many teams can add that kind of money to their payroll mid-season?

And what did the Twins do when they had injuries or poorly performing players? Brought up guys out of their own system. Entirely different operating realities. I'd love to see what the Yankees' front office would do under the financial constraints the Twins have.

SoxFan76
09-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Twins are winning it all. When Michael Cuddyer hits 30 home runs and drives in 100, it's your year.

ma-gaga
09-27-2006, 06:47 PM
the Yankees actually have a few more players who have contributed to thier success this year that came out of the Yankee system than the Twins have who came out of thier own system.
Jeter, Cano, Posada, Cabrara, Williams, Phillips, Cairo, Matsui, Wang, Rivera -- all integral to the Yanks success this year, all products of the Yankee system or at least they have played for no other MLB team.
To hate the Yankees smacks of class warefare.
nonetheless. The Twins? Thier like the hillbilly members. "Little guys" my foot -- they needed a court ruling to stay in existence.

Your post is amazing to me. So full of crap, yet close to the truth that it almost seems plausible.

1. The conversation always starts and really ends with; $200 million vs $63 million.

2. Mauer, Morneau, Bartlett, Cuddyer, Hunter, Ford, Santana, Radke, Garza, Boof, Rincon, Crain, Neshak, Liriano, Baker, Guerrer all have only played for the Twins. 16 players. Nathan, Punto and Silva got minimal exposure and usage from other teams. You have to take Matsui off your list, he was a FA signing. You have to take M.Cairo off your list, he's been around the block.

Cano, Wang, Rivera, and Cabrera were all amatuer free agents. Do you think the Yankees had a little help convincing these guys to sign with them? We're they even eligible for the draft? Probably not, the Yankees probably threw a ton of money at them and they signed... This is one of my biggest pet peeves about MLB. But according to you, they are part of the "Yankees system".

3. The free-agents. Let's compare. Rondl White signed as a FA. Dennis Reyes signed as a FA. Jason Tyner signed as a FA. Versus the Yankees, Giambi, Damon, Matsui, Mussina were all signed as FA's. $5mm in guarenteed salaries versus a staggering $200mm in guaranteed salaries. But by your argument, the Twins signed 5 FA players, and the Yankees only signed 4.

4. The trades. NY was able to take on A-Rod, R.Johnson and B.Abreu. The Twins picked up Punto, Nathan, Liriano, and Castillo. ... the money involved is staggering. The Twins picked up a bunch of no-names, or mid level players and turned them into useful pieces. The Yankees picked up the shiniest most expensive players. Imagine if the Twins dumped Rondel White and picked up Bobby Abreu. ... It's staggering to think that the Yankees aren't helped by the way MLB is setup.

5. Court Ruling. You are completely mis-interpreting the ruling of the court. The court enforced a lease. They didn't keep the Twins in existence, the "contraction" talk was a bull**** threat that the owners fabricated, but never intended to use. I would ask you to show me WHERE the courts ruled that the Twins had to be kept in existence. They didn't. They just said that the Twin had to play in the Metrodome. The Twins never went thru any official talks to cease their operations. I would love it if you could show me that they did. But you won't be able to find it, because it doesn't exist.

Bottom line; the Twins are much more awesome then the Yankees. :cool:

cbotnyse
09-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Bottom line; the Twins are much more awesome then the Yankees. :cool:My bottom line is I hate both teams. But I will always root against the Yankees, they have walked around way too long thinking their **** doesn't stink. Maybe they have earned that right, but I would love to see their dominance come to an end.

That being said, I really wont be paying all that much attention to the playoffs this year. I'll watch the WS hoping someone form the AL wins, as long as its not the Yankees.

Unregistered
09-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Bottom line; the Twins are much more awesome then the Yankees. :cool:That's like saying a punch to the nose is better than a kick to the groin. Either way, you'd prefer to have neither. :smile:

cwsfannick
09-27-2006, 10:32 PM
So as a fan of the game I look at it this way. George doesn't circumvent the system. It's just that he is willing to pay his players while the Twins are not. I have to ask myself who would I rather be a fan of? A team that develops their home grown talent just to see them leave as soon as they become a FA because they are not willing to pay the player or the team that is willing to award thier home grown talent who are successful with big money contracts.

Sorry I maybe in the minority, but I will side with the Yankees. At least thier fans get to see thier heros play for them rather than being scattered around the league.

Chips
09-27-2006, 10:35 PM
So as a fan of the game I look at it this way. George doesn't circumvent the system. It's just that he is willing to pay his players while the Twins are not. I have to ask myself who would I rather be a fan of? A team that develops their home grown talent just to see them leave as soon as they become a FA because they are not willing to pay the player or the team that is willing to award thier home grown talent who are successful with big money contracts.

Sorry I maybe in the minority, but I will side with the Yankees. At least thier fans get to see thier heros play for them rather than being scattered around the league.

:thumbsup: My sentiments exactly, GO YANKEES.

cbotnyse
09-27-2006, 10:46 PM
:thumbsup: My sentiments exactly, GO YANKEES.:puking:

Nellie_Fox
09-28-2006, 01:14 AM

Sorry I maybe in the minority, but I will side with the Yankees. At least thier fans get to see thier heros play for them rather than being scattered around the league.Are you totally unable to comprehend the difference in the amount of money they have to spend? The Yankees' radio contract is more than the Twins get from radio and TV combined. The Yankees are playing in a city of, what, 8,000,000? The Twin Cities put together don't make it to 1,000,000, and not by a long shot. Not even 700,000 total. Then look at how big is their total market. NYC suburbs go into three states. Twin Cities suburbs crap out in about 20 miles.

Hate the Twins all you want, but to cheer for the Yankees to beat them is just mind-boggling.

Cheer for who you want, but don't even try to make an argument that they are somehow doing what the Twins could do if they only wanted to.

dcb56
09-28-2006, 02:17 AM
Are you totally unable to comprehend the difference in the amount of money they have to spend? The Yankees' radio contract is more than the Twins get from radio and TV combined. The Yankees are playing in a city of, what, 8,000,000? The Twin Cities put together don't make it to 1,000,000, and not by a long shot. Not even 700,000 total. Then look at how big is their total market. NYC suburbs go into three states. Twin Cities suburbs crap out in about 20 miles.

Hate the Twins all you want, but to cheer for the Yankees to beat them is just mind-boggling.

Cheer for who you want, but don't even try to make an argument that they are somehow doing what the Twins could do if they only wanted to.

I'm rooting for the Yankees to beat the Twins becuase regardless the amount of money they spend, they haven't been as big a thorn in our side as the Twinkies since the Go-Go days.

The Dude
09-28-2006, 02:20 AM
I'm rooting for the Yankees to beat the Twins becuase regardless the amount of money they spend, they haven't been as big a thorn in our side as the Twinkies since the Go-Go days.

My rooting plan for 2006 AL Playoffs:

Yankees > Twins
Twins > Tigers
Yankees, Twins, Tigers > A's

Suburbanbuddha
09-28-2006, 10:49 AM
I agree with all the things said about the stupid Yankees and their payroll. Living in New York (state not City) I constantly have to hear about how the Yanks are the best team in the history of organized sports. I guess folks around here don't realize Buffalo is closer to Toronto, Cleveland and Pittsburgh, and Manchester United is worth about a Billion $ more than the Yanks.
That said, I will NEVER root for the Twins. Ever.

Here's to The Big Hurt making Randy Johnson cry in the ALCS.

National League - who cares - Mets I guess, just to bug the Yankee fans.

cbotnyse
09-28-2006, 12:06 PM
I agree with all the things said about the stupid Yankees and their payroll. Living in New York (state not City) I constantly have to hear about how the Yanks are the best team in the history of organized sports. I guess folks around here don't realize Buffalo is closer to Toronto, Cleveland and Pittsburgh, and Manchester United is worth about a Billion $ more than the Yanks.
That said, I will NEVER root for the Twins. Ever.

Here's to The Big Hurt making Randy Johnson cry in the ALCS.

National League - who cares - Mets I guess, just to bug the Yankee fans.we all have to hear this thanks to ESPN. :bs: :whatever: :puking:

SoxFan76
09-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Are you totally unable to comprehend the difference in the amount of money they have to spend? The Yankees' radio contract is more than the Twins get from radio and TV combined. The Yankees are playing in a city of, what, 8,000,000? The Twin Cities put together don't make it to 1,000,000, and not by a long shot. Not even 700,000 total. Then look at how big is their total market. NYC suburbs go into three states. Twin Cities suburbs crap out in about 20 miles.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I think it's a little different being an older Sox fan. (Not that I'm calling you old...lol). But I know before the Yankees were a big rival of the White Sox. Now, sure they spend all the money in the world and they're the only team that can take on Abreu's contract in the middle of the season, but if they can do it then why not? I don't really hate the Yankees because they are an organization known for winning. They come from a big city with tons of people where money is plentiful. So what? It's their advantage. I wish the Sox were in that position. Imagine what Kenny Williams could do with 130 million let alone over 200 mil.

SoxFanPrope
09-28-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm sure Hanger will be glad to do all the talking for us. :o:

nysox35
09-28-2006, 05:45 PM
:thumbsup: My sentiments exactly, GO YANKEES.

Count me in, as they are my #2 team. :smile:

I'll be at their home finale on Sunday and at ALCS Game 6, if it materializes. :supernana:

downstairs
09-28-2006, 06:01 PM
So as a fan of the game I look at it this way. George doesn't circumvent the system.

He doesn't need to. HE IS THE SYSTEM!

Sheeeeeeesh.

Any Yankee love is just pure ignorance and/or bandwagoning. If someone gets a thrill from watching a guy buy players and playoff spots, they need a better hobby.

nysox35
09-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Any Yankee love is just pure ignorance and/or bandwagoning.

That is just flatly untrue. I know plenty of Yankee fans who were there during some pretty poor seasons before the '96 Title run began.

cwsfannick
09-28-2006, 08:52 PM
He doesn't need to. HE IS THE SYSTEM!

Sheeeeeeesh.

Any Yankee love is just pure ignorance and/or bandwagoning. If someone gets a thrill from watching a guy buy players and playoff spots, they need a better hobby.

Yeah the same system in which George pays out luxury taxes that are greater than the payrolls of some small market teams.

cwsfannick
09-28-2006, 09:56 PM

Nellie, I fully comprehend that New York has advantages with respects to larger revenue streams coming in. In fact it makes good business sense for George to go out and get as many star players as possible as well as keeping Jeter, Riveria, Posada and Bernie Willaims in pinstripes for thier entire careers. Why? Because baseball fans want to see stars play, they want to see thier hometown heros play for thier team. It keeps New Yorkers and folks from Jersey paying the additional subscriptions for the YES Network, it keeps advertisers paying for expensive air time and attendance stays high. It keeps the Yankees in the national spotlights on an everyday basis.

The issue I have is I believe Pohlad has more than enough means to keep his homegrown talent from going elsewhere to get paid. The man is ranked the 88th richest individual in America with a net worth of $2.8 Billion. He has the money, but isn't willing to spend in the same manner as George is. That is his perrogative and I can respect that

From speaking with Twins fans that I have met at Sox games they would rather have thier favorite players stay at home, but are reserved to the fact that the owner will not pony up the asking price. They knew JJ was gone after last year and they more than likely know that Hunter is the next one to go. I even had one fan state that Twins fans are envious of the Sox organization, because they are willing to pay thier players.

What the Twins do potentially better than any other organization is recognize and develop young talent. It is just too bad for thier fan base sake that they cannot keep it around.

Nellie_Fox
09-29-2006, 01:06 AM
The issue I have is I believe Pohlad has more than enough means to keep his homegrown talent from going elsewhere to get paid. The man is ranked the 88th richest individual in America with a net worth of $2.8 Billion. He has the money, but isn't willing to spend in the same manner as George is. So you think Pohlad should lose money every year to pay salaries that can't be covered by the revenue the team produces? Do you think George is losing money on the Yankees? If he is digging into his own pocket every year, I'd sure like to see evidence of that.

I understand that George is operating within the system. I'm not saying he's doing anything wrong, just that winning that way is not admirable or worthy of support from the fans of other teams.

I understand that Twins fans would like Pohlad to spend more money. I'm not saying George shouldn't do it to keep his fans happy. What I'm saying is that I don't see how anyone can cheer for the biggest money team in baseball to beat up on one of the smallest money teams.

What the Twins organization does with what they have is worthy of a tip of the cap. What the Yankees do is just keep spending until they get what they want. When they don't win it should attract attention. The idea of cheering for them to win yet again just depresses me.

And this is not about "class warfare" as has been suggested. I don't begrudge George and the Yankees a dime of their money. I also don't begrudge other major corporations, but I certainly don't cheer for them to crush their struggling, small-market competitors.

I'm not going to argue this any more. I'm not going to change your minds, and you're not going to change mine.

drewcifer
09-29-2006, 01:13 AM
Does anyone feel like posting on the Yankees board come playoff time so we can root against the Twins with them?

Also, this sounds classless, but when the Twins get swept would you want to get back at what the Twinkie fans did to us?

Yankees do what they always do. Gut it out.

They marched out what (I personally thought) was one of the worst SP plans and won their division. They called guys up, moved around their lineup, their manager got them where they wanted to be with ease.

Yes, Abreau and Lidle was nice and most don't have that luxury when they need the push.

But they win. Again and again... even when/if that $ isn't playing.

I hate this year.

I really do.