PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 9-26

Lip Man 1
09-26-2006, 11:00 PM
From Whitesox.com:

In previous talks this past week, Guillen already has mentioned how he plans to have one specific field in Tucson designed for just bunting, hit-and-run situations and other important fundamentals of the game. On Tuesday, Guillen explained those plans in a little more detail.

"Manufacturing runs, hit and runs, we're going to bunt every day," Guillen said. "The guys who are supposed to work, we're going to get them to work the count. A lot of different things.

"It's not going to be a boot camp, but I think we're going to go back to where we are. I'm not going to let this thing slip out of our hands. It's in my hands to make sure to get those guys play right, play good and that starts from the beginning.

"We're prepared. I already talked to [third-base coach] Joey [Cora], talked to a couple of guys, we're prepared to show up from the beginning and start pushing those guys harder," Guillen added.

GOOD! It's about damn time.

Now we'll see if Ozzie in fact follows through with this. (Unlike his mandatory bunting practices this season that lasted all of one week...)

Lip

oeo
09-26-2006, 11:05 PM
From Whitesox.com:

In previous talks this past week, Guillen already has mentioned how he plans to have one specific field in Tucson designed for just bunting, hit-and-run situations and other important fundamentals of the game. On Tuesday, Guillen explained those plans in a little more detail.

"Manufacturing runs, hit and runs, we're going to bunt every day," Guillen said. "The guys who are supposed to work, we're going to get them to work the count. A lot of different things.

"It's not going to be a boot camp, but I think we're going to go back to where we are. I'm not going to let this thing slip out of our hands. It's in my hands to make sure to get those guys play right, play good and that starts from the beginning.

"We're prepared. I already talked to [third-base coach] Joey [Cora], talked to a couple of guys, we're prepared to show up from the beginning and start pushing those guys harder," Guillen added.

GOOD! It'about damn time.

Now we'll see if Ozzie in fact follows through with this. (Unlike his mandatory bunting practices this season that lasted all of one week...)

Lip

Did he ever actually say that they were going to have mandatory bunting practice, everyday? If I remember correctly, there were just a few times in during the year when he held these mandatory bunting practices. They should have been everyday, but I don't think he ever said they were.

I've got a good feeling about 2007, already.

Lip Man 1
09-26-2006, 11:13 PM
OEO:

I never said that he said they were going to last all season. My point was the Sox needed the work badly, they SHOULD have been doing extra work everyday of the second half but after a week Ozzie apparently backed off.

That is exactly what the Sox don't need. They need to be pushed, they need to be made to get back to Ozzie-Ball regardless of whether they like it or not.

Another part of the story 'speculated' on what might happen if the players Ozzie is talking about (the top and bottom of the order) don't like it or can't do the job. The reporter said in that case they would not be in the lineup any longer.

Lip

Oldschoolsoxguy
09-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Ozzie will also have the "we didn't win **** last year" thing going for him when camp opens and you just know he's going to bust them with it every chance he gets.As for Joey Cora still being the 3rd base coach...can we just get him a straightjacket by gametime ?

caulfield12
09-26-2006, 11:20 PM
OEO:

I never said that he said they were going to last all season. My point was the Sox needed the work badly, they SHOULD have been doing extra work everyday of the second half but after a week Ozzie apparently backed off.

That is exactly what the Sox don't need. They need to be pushed, they need to be made to get back to Ozzie-Ball regardless of whether they like it or not.

Another part of the story 'speculated' on what might happen if the players Ozzie is talking about (the top and bottom of the order) don't like it or can't do the job. The reporter said in that case they would not be in the lineup any longer.

Lip

I'm almost got the sense that Ozzie deferred too much to the veterans this year. Crede had a telling quote, "we relied on ourselves" (too much) and it wasn't enough, they couldn't find another gear when they needed it.

KW backed off (after speaking with Thome/Dye/Konerko) when asked at the deadline if they needed to make wholesale changes. I think OG and KW were "sold" by the team that they were going to pull it out and they simply didn't do it.

Next year, it has to be back to "Ozzie's way" instead of waiting for things to change. He tried to force things in the 2nd half, and it wasn't a natural part of the club's personality at that point...just like Cora being overly aggressive sending runners. We became a stationary ballclub and couldn't shake it.