PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle Contract Problems

HawkDJ
02-28-2002, 11:23 PM
From http://www.chicagosports.com

TUCSON, Ariz. - Mark Buehrle was a quick learner upon joining the White Sox rotation late last March, winding up with a team-leading 16 victories in his first full season.

Now the 22-year-old left-hander is learning about the other side of the game, and his first lesson in baseball economics could have a long-range effect on his future.

Buehrle termed negotiations with the White Sox "ugly" and expects the club to renew his contract Saturday, the deadline for unsigned players.

"I think it'll be a renewal," Buehrle said. "They came in with an offer, and we don't agree with it."

Buehrle's salary is expected to be about $325,000, $100,000 more than his 2001 pay. He went 16-8 with a 3.29 earned-run average last year, fourth best among American League pitchers. He also had the lowest ERA among AL left-handers and held opposing hitters to a .230 average, fourth in the AL.

But owners have leverage on players until they are eligible for arbitration after three years of experience, making Buehrle captive to the Sox's salary structure for young players.

Buehrle said there has been no talk of a multiyear deal such as the three-year, $3 million contract to which former general manager Ron Schueler signed Jim Parque in 2000 after his first full season.

Although he'll make more than any player in White Sox history with three or fewer years of experience, Buehrle expected to be compensated like similar pitchers with his experience. Buehrle's agent examined the raises of recent pitchers who had comparable seasons and about the same service time in the majors. The closest was St. Louis' Rick Ankiel, who nearly doubled his salary from $205,000 to $400,000 in 2001. Ankiel's control problems led to a season-long stint in the minors in 2002.

Buehrle was told the Sox don't consider other organizations' salary histories when making offers to their own players who are not yet arbitration-eligible. Of recent Sox players with Buehrle's experience and solid numbers in his first full season, the organization cited Magglio Ordonez, who went from $175,000 to $275,000 in 1999 after hitting .282 with 65 RBIs in his first full season.

Last month Buehrle denied he was serious when he offhandedly asked Cardinals GM Walt Jocketty to "get me to St. Louis." But he was miffed about the way he's being "rewarded" for last year's success.

Pete_SSAC
02-28-2002, 11:27 PM
For the love of God, don't piss Buehrle off! We still need him!

- Pete

czalgosz
That's wonderful... great news. The Sox are going to make Buerhle unhappy over maximum a couple hundred grand. This better not come back to haunt the Sox...

Jjav829
Am I the only one who hates it when a player thinks he should be rewarded right away for one good season? Go out and pitch! If you pitch like you did in your first season you'll have no trouble getting the money.

czalgosz
02-28-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC
For the love of God, don't piss Buehrle off! We still need him!

- Pete

Shouldn't that be "For the love of you"?

Jjav829
02-28-2002, 11:28 PM
Wow, three replies at the same time! :D:

Pete_SSAC
02-28-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Shouldn't that be "For the love of you"?

Well, see, I use "For the love of Me" instead of "For the love of Pete", but... some people don't get it.

- Pete

CubKilla
02-28-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Am I the only one who hates it when a player thinks he should be rewarded right away for one good season? Go out and pitch! If you pitch like you did in your first season you'll have no trouble getting the money.

It's the newest fad. We should be used to it by now. And it wasn't even a full season. I like what I saw out of Buehrle last year. However, with the St. Louis rumors around the time of SOXFEST, now this, I don't think he'll be a long-timer with the White Sox. Just my opinion.

RedPinStripes
02-28-2002, 11:39 PM

Nope . I'm with ya there. He's turning into a bratt already. Let's see if he can at least duplicate that year, hten talk money.

czalgosz
02-28-2002, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC

Well, see, I use "For the love of Me" instead of "For the love of Pete", but... some people don't get it.

- Pete

Seems pretty straightforward to me. But I am the kind of guy who likes puns.

HawkDJ
02-28-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow

It's the newest fad. We should be used to it by now. And it wasn't even a full season. I like what I saw out of Buehrle last year. However, with the St. Louis rumors around the time of SOXFEST, now this, I don't think he'll be a long-timer with the White Sox. Just my opinion.

Sadly, I have to agree with you. Eventually I think it will come down to trading him or having him leave via free agency to St. Louis or elsewhere. Hopefully that won't come true but I'm not about to worry about it right now.

Daver
02-28-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow

He has no options for another three years.The Sox are doing what every team in MLB is doing right now,keeping the salaries on the young players as low as they can to pay the the salaries of the so-called NAME players,how much you want to bet the term collusion gets thrown into the MLBPA side of the negotations for a new CBA?

cheeses_h_rice
02-28-2002, 11:46 PM
Pay the man. Pay him the extra $75K or whatever it is he needs to be "happy." We are talking relative peanuts here to keep our best pitcher happy, something that could aid the Sox down the line in future negotiations with him and his agent.

HawkDJ
02-28-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Nope . I'm with ya there. He's turning into a bratt already. Let's see if he can at least duplicate that year, hten talk money.

So very true. I don't get why Buehrle's agent is comparing him to Rick Ankiel. The Cardinals doubled his salary after a great first year, but look where he is now. Buehrle's not really proven yet so its not time to be talking doubling your salary. If he can pull off another good year than we pretty much know he won't bust.

RichH55
02-28-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Pay the man. Pay him the extra $75K or whatever it is he needs to be "happy." We are talking relative peanuts here to keep our best pitcher happy, something that could aid the Sox down the line in future negotiations with him and his agent.

I somehow doubt its 75 K....Buerhle better put up numbers next year if we are going to have to keep hearing about crap like this....I cut Barry Bonds slack, I cut Cal Ripken slack, I don't cut Royce slack....Put the numbers up and then come back to everyone with petty problems, because then we can't do enough to solve them

baggio202
03-01-2002, 12:11 AM
reinsdorf to me is "penny wise and dollar foolish"...if you keep buehrle happy now he just might return t he favor his free agent year

RedPinStripes
03-01-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
reinsdorf to me is "penny wise and dollar foolish"...if you keep buehrle happy now he just might return t he favor his free agent year

I think he deserves 400,000 since they are calling him the ace, but not much more then that. Let him earn more then a year of respect.

kermittheefrog
03-01-2002, 01:09 AM
Damnit just pay him the extra $75,000 and be done with it. It's not gonna break anyone's back within the organization.

RichH55
03-01-2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Damnit just pay him the extra $75,000 and be done with it. It's not gonna break anyone's back within the organization.

True enough on 75 K, but if it is really over 75 K don't we really need to question both sides on this one? If that is the figure(and Im not sure im willing to buy into it as THE number) than Jerry should give it, but for Buerhle after 75% of a good year and some incidents in the offseason(St.Louis thing)...keep your mouth shut, play the game, keep this private....if you have another 3 years like this, bolt via free agency then you can bring up stories about not being treated right and everyone in Chicago will buy them hook line and sinker, but until you put in that time and build up a repore with the fans and media...Shut it

bringbackrobin
03-01-2002, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Nah, this is just good old fashioned diplomacy. It's like when the Americans and South Vietnamese spent a year arguing with the NVA and Viet Cong over the shape of the negotiating table. Or when you buy a car and refuse to pay for the $50 scotchguard. If you give any ground on the little issues, it weakens your position on the big ones.

RichH55
03-01-2002, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by bringbackrobin

Nah, this is just good old fashioned diplomacy. It's like when the Americans and South Vietnamese spent a year arguing with the NVA and Viet Cong over the shape of the negotiating table. Or when you buy a car and refuse to pay for the $50 scotchguard. If you give any ground on the little issues, it weakens your position on the big ones.

Oh yeah Vietnam! Now there is something we should mimic in the way we run an organization!

CLR01
03-01-2002, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by baggio202

Key word might, i dont it though. It would just be the same crying over a larger dollar amount.

LongDistanceFan
03-01-2002, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by RichH55

I somehow doubt its 75 K....Buerhle better put up numbers next year if we are going to have to keep hearing about crap like this....I cut Barry Bonds slack, I cut Cal Ripken slack, I don't cut Royce slack....Put the numbers up and then come back to everyone with petty problems, because then we can't do enough to solve them bingo............ when did it become a tradition that players shoulld not honor a contract?

WinningUgly!
03-01-2002, 09:41 AM
He'll be signed to a 3 year, $3 million+ deal within the next few weeks. This is all part of the "game".

duke of dorwood
03-01-2002, 10:14 AM
I just wish agents and players would stop negotiating in the media. I agree that a deal will probably be done in the near future. If they did it for a 6 inning pitcher, they sure ought to do it here.

Clarkdog
03-01-2002, 12:09 PM

I'm all for rewarding a guy when he does a good job. But I agree w/ you Jjav. It's not like his resume says Rookie of the Year, or Cy Young award winner, or 2001 AL Central Champion. Was he a reason that the Sox rebounded from a terrible start in 2001? Yes. But he had nothing to lose. There were so many injuries, that if he had failed no one would have held him to blame.

If the Sox win the division in 2002, or better yet get to the World Series, then lock Buehrle up. He was the team's ace, he was a key reason they were a winner, his salary should be renegotiated. He is a player to build around.

Right now the Sox Management, is a still evaluating what they have in Buehrle, and they have the time to do it under the current agreement.

AsInWreck
03-01-2002, 05:14 PM
sounds like another A-hole in the making