PDA

View Full Version : Al Goldis, anyone?

Flight #24
09-26-2006, 04:09 PM
FWIW, I saw a report on CNNSI that the Mets have notified longtime Sox scout Al Goldis that they won't be retaining him any longer. I for one would love to see one of the architects of the 90s Sox teams come back to the organization, especially as the team will almost certainly be trying to transition to being younger sometime in the next 2-4 years (or about the time in which one might expect some stud draft picks to pan out).

caulfield12
09-26-2006, 04:20 PM
FWIW, I saw a report on CNNSI that the Mets have notified longtime Sox scout Al Goldis that they won't be retaining him any longer. I for one would love to see one of the architects of the 90s Sox teams come back to the organization, especially as the team will almost certainly be trying to transition to being younger sometime in the next 2-4 years (or about the time in which one might expect some stud draft picks to pan out).

Ummm...what stud draft picks would you be referring to?

California Sox
09-26-2006, 05:29 PM

I think he means someone as yet to be drafted. As far as a stud already in the organization, maybe Cunningham or Carter could develop, otherwise, all I can see is desert.

caulfield12
09-26-2006, 05:54 PM
I think he means someone as yet to be drafted. As far as a stud already in the organization, maybe Cunningham or Carter could develop, otherwise, all I can see is desert.

Good, because I doubt Anderson Gomes will be starting in AA next year.

Britt Burns
09-26-2006, 06:25 PM
I would have liked to hear Goldis' scream when he heard the Mets had traded Kazmir for junk. He probably flipped his lid (anyone want to picture what the Mets would be like with a healthy Kazmir in the rotation?)

soxinem1
09-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Al Goldis and Larry Himes were the architects of some great years of drafting.

Maybe he'll be able to draft (or recommend) the signing of some players that actually become an impact at the ML (hopefully White Sox) level, unlike most of the picks since he and Larry left.

He could be a very key off-season pick up.

MadetoOrta
09-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Why was Al Goldis dumped by the Sox? And when?

DrCrawdad
09-26-2006, 10:04 PM
Why was Al Goldis dumped by the Sox? And when?

IIRC Goldis went over to the Cubbies, perhaps on his own with a desire to be with his crony Larry Himes.

Goldis/Himes were anything but spectacular with the Cubbies. In one of Himes/Goldis' last drafts with the Cubbies they drafted something close to 50 pitchers. Goldis boasted about their draft at the time. Of that large group of pitcher they selected only two made it to MLB, Farnsworth & Steve Rain.

soxinem1
09-27-2006, 10:55 AM
IIRC Goldis went over to the Cubbies, perhaps on his own with a desire to be with his crony Larry Himes.

Goldis/Himes were anything but spectacular with the Cubbies. In one of Himes/Goldis' last drafts with the Cubbies they drafted something close to 50 pitchers. Goldis boasted about their draft at the time. Of that large group of pitcher they selected only two made it to MLB, Farnsworth & Steve Rain.

In all fairness, the Tribune was not interested in developing from within. They had Larry as GM signing free-agents and not putting a lot of emphasis on drafting. They wanted a winner right away, so that's what they tried, and failed, to do.

The tenure up north notwithstanding, these two were known for quite sometime for being able to spot major league talent that would be major league ready in a short period of time.

Flight #24
09-28-2006, 01:03 PM

Mainly referring to the fact that when with the Sox, Goldis had a hand in some stud draft picks, and that were he back with the org, perhaps he could do it again and in 2-3 years the Sox would have those newly drafted studs available to join the big league team.

SABRSox
09-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Let's get him on board. I've always felt that the smartest investment in a baseball organization is with its scouting department.