PDA

View Full Version : mario valenzuela

baggio202
02-28-2002, 11:08 PM
ive been following thias guy since the beginning of last year..today he hit a double for the "B" team...was switched to the "A" and the proceeded to homer....

this guy last year hit he hit 261 with 10 homers in only 171 atbats at charlotte...he started the year at birmingham where he hit 290 with 12 homers...he hit 10 more homers in the fall instructional league...he is also considered one of the better defensive lf in all of the minor leagues (a big plus if you are sick of watching carlos play fly ball after fly ball into a double or triple)

something has to happen with him because he is coming up on rule 5 free agency...hopefully he hits his way onto the sox and forces a deal for a quality starter for carlos lee...if oakland offered us cory lidle for carlos in sure we could get an ever better pitcher for carlos from someone..and maybe save JR a few million...he will love that

RichH55
02-28-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
ive been following thias guy since the beginning of last year..today he hit a double for the "B" team...was switched to the "A" and the proceeded to homer....

this guy last year hit he hit 261 with 10 homers in only 171 atbats at charlotte...he started the year at birmingham where he hit 290 with 12 homers...he hit 10 more homers in the fall instructional league...he is also considered one of the better defensive lf in all of the minor leagues (a big plus if you are sick of watching carlos play fly ball after fly ball into a double or triple)

something has to happen with him because he is coming up on rule 5 free agency...hopefully he hits his way onto the sox and forces a deal for a quality starter for carlos lee...if oakland offered us cory lidle for carlos in sure we could get an ever better pitcher for carlos from someone..and maybe save JR a few million...he will love that

I believe the deal was Rowand for Cust for Lidle.......Valenzuela needs either alot of things to happen for him to become the guy or a plane crash

RedPinStripes
02-28-2002, 11:43 PM
I don't see room for this guy and they haven't talked much about him. Wonder if he's trade bait?

czalgosz
02-28-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

I believe the deal was Rowand for Cust for Lidle.......Valenzuela needs either alot of things to happen for him to become the guy or a plane crash

God, a plane crash, what a nightmare scenario. Makes me wince just to hear the idea spoken.

Valenzuela probably will end up being trade bait at best. He's got a good power bat, but he's basically a right-handed Jeff Liefer from what I understand.

pearso66
02-28-2002, 11:47 PM
we dont need a right handed jeff liefer, we already have a left handed one

RichH55
02-28-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

God, a plane crash, what a nightmare scenario. Makes me wince just to hear the idea spoken.

Valenzuela probably will end up being trade bait at best. He's got a good power bat, but he's basically a right-handed Jeff Liefer from what I understand.
I think he has to develop to get to Jeff Liefer status...hes not really a guy that you need to remember

kermittheefrog
03-01-2002, 01:05 AM

I think he has to develop to get to Jeff Liefer status...hes not really a guy that you need to remember

Rich you pretty much took my words. If Valenzuela could work himself into the righthanded Jeff Liefer tier we'd ahve a prospect. Mario hit 261/291/483 at AAA. Liefer was hitting 286/381/496 whe he got called up. Big difference there. Valenzuela's MLE is just 272/305/446 that's not big league corner outfielder material.

RichH55
03-01-2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Rich you pretty much took my words. If Valenzuela could work himself into the righthanded Jeff Liefer tier we'd ahve a prospect. Mario hit 261/291/483 at AAA. Liefer was hitting 286/381/496 whe he got called up. Big difference there. Valenzuela's MLE is just 272/305/446 that's not big league corner outfielder material.

Plus he's 25 so its not like he has years of great development left to the point where you could consider him a viable major league corner outfielder

RichH55
03-01-2002, 01:18 AM
Man thinking about it.....Lofton, Lee, Ordonez, LTP, Rowand, Liefer, Willie Harris, ? ..............Valenzula isn't even on the radar screen at this point or in the forseeable future

LongDistanceFan
03-01-2002, 04:57 AM
Man thinking about it.....Lofton, Lee, Ordonez, LTP, Rowand, Liefer, Willie Harris, ? ..............Valenzula isn't even on the radar screen at this point or in the forseeable future and still the sox haven't been signing the fa's as they should from south of the border.

LongDistanceFan
03-01-2002, 04:59 AM

plane crash rich, man that was bad to wish something like that on anybody.................

btw, the sox have been trying to trade him with no takers.

baggio202
03-01-2002, 10:06 AM
a couple things...last year aaron rowand at the start of spring training wasnt on the radar screen either....now we just nixed a deal for cory lidle for rowand.....also rowand's career minor league is in the low 280's....about where valenzuela's is...if we can find him some major league at bats for this guy we might be able to make a deal for a cory lidle...instead of just losing the guy for nothing....

RichH55
03-05-2002, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
a couple things...last year aaron rowand at the start of spring training wasnt on the radar screen either....now we just nixed a deal for cory lidle for rowand.....also rowand's career minor league is in the low 280's....about where valenzuela's is...if we can find him some major league at bats for this guy we might be able to make a deal for a cory lidle...instead of just losing the guy for nothing....

I was damned surprised we turned down essentially what was Rowand for Lidle...but as to your comparison to Rowand with Valenzula..I just don't see it....Rowand was 23 last ST while Valenzula is 25 this time around and Rowand had been alot more touted than Mario at that point to boot. Baseball Prospecus says they are the same type of player, but that Mario is "clearly inferior"...not the highest of praise.....And judging by the bodies we need to put out in the field there is simply no place for Mario