PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Guillen Appreciation Thread

guillen4life13
09-26-2006, 12:58 PM
I sent Ozzie an email. Here it is:

Ozzie,

I would like to thank you for yet another winning season. I know that our goals were not met this year, but it could have been much worse. You've made a few moves I didn't entirely agree with, but ultimately, I do trust you. You helped bring us a championship, and for that I will always hold you high. I have been a fan of yours since I was a kid, and one of my earliest baseball memories (I didn't follow until 2000) was in 1997, when I went with an exchange student brother named Hector, who comes from Merida in Venezuela. You hit a ground rule double that day to right center field. It made his day, and it made mine. Since then, you've been my de facto favorite Sox player, and for the last three years, my favorite manager.

You have come under criticism for the way this year has gone, and as much as I may curse at the TV or radio when the Sox are on, you still helped to give us a chance. It seems as though the vast majority of the team tried their best this year, but things just didn't go their way. I especially hope that Neal Cotts and Mark Buehrle are able to properly rebound from this past year. They're both workhorses, and they both have always tried their hardest. I hate to see them booed, because I see Cotts kicking the dirt after making a mistake (or a good pitch that gets nailed). He's not happy, and the boos are like salt in a wound. I don't agree with it.

I am at the University of Miami, and my roommate claims to be a good family friend of yours. [John Doe]. You know him?

Have a good offseason and come back next year and kick some ass. I love baseball, but I love nothing more than the White Sox kicking ass like I know they can. Be proud of your team. I'll see you next year.

guillen4life13

BainesHOF
09-26-2006, 01:40 PM
I don't think there was anything about Ozzie's managing to appreciate in 2006 outside of the general fact that he was trying to help our team win. In many cases, he caused it to lose. And his mouth was an ongoing embarrassment.

A. Cavatica
09-26-2006, 01:48 PM
This thread is so last year.

jenn2080
09-26-2006, 02:12 PM
I don't think there was anything about Ozzie's managing to appreciate in 2006 outside of the general fact that he was trying to help our team win. In many cases, he caused it to lose. And his mouth was an ongoing embarrassment.

:thumbsup: Could not agree more. I will always appreciate 2005 and thank him when we are sitting down for Thanksgiving dinner, but that is it. This year all I have to thank him for is a headache.

The Dude
09-26-2006, 02:17 PM
:thumbsup: Could not agree more. I will always appreciate 2005 and thank him when we are sitting down for Thanksgiving dinner, but that is it. This year all I have to thank him for is a headache.

When talking about Leyland as a good manager who made a difference for his club.... Ozzie even said, "Bad managers even win world series." "You're looking at one."

I appreciate Ozzie for last season but with this payroll, lineup, fan support, there is no way we should have less than 100 wins. He didn't cause us to not make the playoffs but as some said, he didn't help either.

BA: The Hitman
09-26-2006, 02:17 PM
Sure, Ozzie has made a few questionable moves this season, some that may have cost us some games, but there was a lot more to this season's failure than just ozzie. I don't care if God was managing this team, when the lowest ERA of your starting rotation is 4.27, you're not going to win anything. So let's not all jump all over Ozzie for this seaon.

HotelWhiteSox
09-26-2006, 02:20 PM
I don't care if God was managing this team, when the lowest ERA of your starting rotation is 4.27, you're not going to win anything. So let's not all jump all over Ozzie for this seaon.

I don't know, a lot of breaks would go our way

lumpyspun
09-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Why do people come into this thread to talk bad about Ozzie? Whether you like or don't like him, this thread was titled Ozzie Guillen Appreciation Thread.

mrs. hendu
09-26-2006, 03:26 PM
I'll never forget 2005, Ozzie and his team back then.

Chicken Dinner
09-26-2006, 03:28 PM
I don't appreciate anything about third place.

guillen4life13
09-26-2006, 04:41 PM
Let's be really, really bleepin' honest here. Ozzie made some mistakes... or at least did things we don't agree with. I said that in the email, didn't I?

That said, I think a lot of breaks did go our way last year, AND a lot did not go our way this year. The starting pitching is responsible for the starting pitching, and it's always incredibly easy to judge in hindsight, right? All of us were saying "Pull Javy after the 5th," yet when he did it not too long ago, he made a mistake, right?

His biggest mistake, IMO was the BA/Mack fiasco (and still is.) KW could have gotten us a good backup CF instead of Mac, right? Don't get me wrong, I love Mac, but not as an OF, let alone a CF.

Face it. Buehrle didn't come through like he usually does. Garcia had some issues with motivation against not so accomplished teams. Javy had mental issues. Cotts had issues. Politte isn't even on the team anymore he had such issues. Hermy wasn't here. Contreras fell off after his injury (which was earlier in the year). McCarthy didn't pitch like we all thought he would. Pods had a down year (or last year was just another fluke year like 2003). Uribe again saw his offensive performance decline. What won games in 2005? Pitching. And there was an undeniable difference in winning percentage between when Pods had a good game and when he didn't.

A recap at who was mentioned just now:

Contreras*
Buehrle*
Vazquez
Garcia*
Cotts*
Politte*
Hermanson (not as important in '06)*
McCarthy
Podsednik*
Uribe*

* - denotes players with significant contributions to last year's team.

That leaves only one player in the rotation who came even close to reaching his expectations. Remember how this was supposed to be the rotation with 5 pitchers capable of being opening day pitchers on most other teams in the majors? They didn't pitch like that. Not one of them did. Then you have three cogs from last year's 'pen who for various reasons did not reach their expectations or precedents. You can consider Mac to be Hermy's replacement, and he didn't come even close to doing what Hermy did last year.

Podsednik didn't light the spark.

Pitching more than anything killed us this year. If you want to blame coaches for that, you can blame Ozzie and/or Coop. I don't think you can blame either. Those pitchers need to work themselves out and play to their potential next year. Find out what happened this year.

So, even though Ozzie made some mistakes, I believe that the blame should fall squarely on the players for not performing. Ozzie is a de facto scapegoat, and he deserves criticism, but more for what he says than anything.

wassagstdu
09-26-2006, 05:13 PM
with this payroll, lineup, fan support, there is no way we should have less than 100 wins.

I'm sure in your fantasy league the Sox do have 100 wins. But they had about 81 in 2005.

gobears1987
09-26-2006, 05:20 PM
:thumbsup: Could not agree more. I will always appreciate 2005 and thank him when we are sitting down for Thanksgiving dinner, but that is it. This year all I have to thank him for is a headache.Yeah, Ozzie was responsible for the rotation deciding to suck this year.

Playah
09-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Why do people come into this thread to talk bad about Ozzie? Whether you like or don't like him, this thread was titled Ozzie Guillen Appreciation Thread.

What a stupid thing to say. Why don't I start a thread called Lumpyspun is an Idiot and prevent you from going in there to dispute it.

DaleJRFan
09-26-2006, 05:31 PM
I'm sure in your fantasy league the Sox do have 100 wins. But they had about 81 in 2005.

:?: The sox won 99 games last year.

lumpyspun
09-26-2006, 05:48 PM
What a stupid thing to say. Why don't I start a thread called Lumpyspun is an Idiot and prevent you from going in there to dispute it.

See, this is why it is best to refrain from posting stuff in threads that have a title you know you shouldn't be posting in. It leads to dumbass comments like yours.

When people see an Ozzie Guillen appreciation thread and they go into it and start bringing up all the negative comments all it does is lead to people arguing about it. There are plenty other debate Ozzie threads already started.
I'm not picking any side, I'm just simply talking about message board behavior that I don't understand.

I hate Nascar with a passion, but I don't go into every Nascar race week thread and talk about how it sucks and its not a real sport. Why? b/c I know all it would do is piss off the people who love Nascar and have started that thread to admire their sport.

If the thread was titled "Is Ozzie a good coach?" Then yes, that was started by the poster to drive a debate. This guy/girl named it "Ozzie Guillen Appreciation" for a reason.

Frontman
09-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa everyone! Calm down. Ozzie was our manager. Sure, he made mistakes. Lets see. IF we go down the road of everyone who made a mistake on the Sox that cost us, let's start the list, shall we?

Ozzie=some bad calls as manager
Joey Cora=what he hell is he thinking sending runners?
Burhele=threw poorly
Contreras=Threw poorly
Vasquez= Very rarely saw the 7th inning
Freddie=Very poor start to the season
Jon Garland=We were still in it before he took the mound last night
Cintron=poor defensive play when playing second
Uribe=does he understand he doesn't have to swing with EVERY pitch?
Pods=didn't steal anywhere near as many bases, didn't get on base as much as he did in 2005
AJ=Didn't hit anywhere near the home runs he did last year
Dye=he forgot how many outs there was. And they said he was MVP candidate!
Konkerko=pop up anyone?
Brian Anderson=he wasn't Aaron Rowand

Now, if we got down on every Sox player who wasn't perfect, who cost us games, and go with some folks suggestions we should ditch those who didn't perform, we really wouldn't have much of a team, would we now?

I for one appreciated that Ozzie kept this team in it until the very end. He made some mistakes. But nowhere is it written that if you have a high payroll and a good lineup, you win the division. Or win 100 games. STOP ACTING LIKE THAT WAS A FACT!! Nowhere is it written that its "FACT!" The only fact that matters is that we didn't make the playoffs. Now, its up to KW and Ozzie to make sure that in 2007, we make it back into the playoffs.

Front

southside rocks
09-26-2006, 06:22 PM
See, this is why it is best to refrain from posting stuff in threads that have a title you know you shouldn't be posting in. It leads to dumbass comments like yours.

When people see an Ozzie Guillen appreciation thread and they go into it and start bringing up all the negative comments all it does is lead to people arguing about it. There are plenty other debate Ozzie threads already started.
I'm not picking any side, I'm just simply talking about message board behavior that I don't understand.

I hate Nascar with a passion, but I don't go into every Nascar race week thread and talk about how it sucks and its not a real sport. Why? b/c I know all it would do is piss off the people who love Nascar and have started that thread to admire their sport.

If the thread was titled "Is Ozzie a good coach?" Then yes, that was started by the poster to drive a debate. This guy/girl named it "Ozzie Guillen Appreciation" for a reason.

Hear, hear.

To bash Ozzie, start a "Bash Ozzie" thread.

I sent Ozzie a fan letter today. Never done that before to a Sox manager. :smile: Ozzie and his management style are the cover story of the in-house magazine of the CME, where I work, and I sent him the article and asked if he will sign it and return it. I also thanked him for this season and last season.

Sorry, I don't hate Ozzie. Even though I'm disappointed and heartbroken, I don't hate Ozzie. I don't even hate the players that I think right now I never want to see again. Too many years of being a fan, too many decades of seeing how up and down and unpredictable a baseball season is.

Britt Burns
09-26-2006, 06:22 PM
I was an Ozzie doubter when they hired him, and in truth it took me most of 2005 to be convinced, but this team's problem is the play on the field, not Oz. He is a good-to-great manager who will only get better with experience.

It's pretty easy, really. The Sox lost because of poor pitching, with a dash of too streaky hitting and little worse defense than last year thrown in. This is a good team, and it won't take much to get us back to where we all want to be. And Ozzie is the guy to lead the Sox there.