PDA

View Full Version : Games I wish we had back in 2006

09-26-2006, 12:41 PM
The following loses stick out in my memory the most as games we should have won in 2006

1. 4th game of the year against KC...we blow a 6 run early lead, Garland looked lost.

2. The Fenway Disaster- Losing by 1 run, 2 night is a row, to no name pitchers that we made look like Cy Young.

3. The 3rd Cubs game at home, Uribe air mails a sure double play ball to blow 2 run 7th inning lead

4. Finishing 3-3 against a 6 game stretch against Tampa and KC when we really needed the wins

5. having iguchi tie the game against Houston on a grand slam in the bottom of the 9th, only to lose in extra innings.

6. Same as above with Dye tying the Twins in the 9th, only to lose in extra's

7. Monroes Slam off Javy in the "6th"

I'm sure I'm missing some other gems, feel free to add on

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but these stick out in my mind

Myrtle72
09-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Hmm...

I think I wish we had most of the games we lost. Yeah.

soxfan13
09-26-2006, 12:43 PM
theres about 70 games I would like back:(:

jenn2080
09-26-2006, 12:49 PM
All the bull **** games we blew with the bullpen.

palehozenychicty
09-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Those seven plus four more this month were very winnable games. We got 8-3 in that tilt, we are in the hunt for the division.

Hitmen77
09-26-2006, 01:17 PM
The following loses stick out in my memory the most as games we should have won in 2006

1. 4th game of the year against KC...we blow a 6 run early lead, Garland looked lost.

2. The Fenway Disaster- Losing by 1 run, 2 night is a row, to no name pitchers that we made look like Cy Young.

3. The 3rd Cubs game at home, Uribe air mails a sure double play ball to blow 2 run 7th inning lead

4. Finishing 3-3 against a 6 game stretch against Tampa and KC when we really needed the wins

5. having iguchi tie the game against Houston on a grand slam in the bottom of the 9th, only to lose in extra innings.

Good summary of games we threw away. Win those and we'd be leading the wild card right now. Sox have no one to blame but themselves for missing the playoffs.

samram
09-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Game 3 in Baltimore where Jenks blew a save when pitching for the third straight day.

Game 3 in Pittsburgh when Sanchez homered in the 9th, IIRC.

There are also a bunch of games they won that should have been finished off earlier so that the top BP guys wouldn't have had to be used.

TomBradley72
09-26-2006, 01:41 PM
How many games did Mac start in CF?

I would like every one of those games back.

sox1970
09-26-2006, 01:42 PM
You can pick apart every loss, just like every other team. The bottom line is the Sox weren't good enough this season. And they were downright bad the second half. Not even mediocre--BAD.

dirty_k
09-26-2006, 01:56 PM
There were quite a few games in 2005 that we did not deserve to win but did and as it turned out we needed most of them to retain the best record in baseball that year. A few this year but more often it was the other way around with us losing games we played well enough to win but lost or just didn't catch the right breaks.

INSox56
09-26-2006, 01:59 PM
Yeah you can't really do this kind of thing because for every one of the games that can be mentioned, there are probably just that many that you could say we should have lost given a few different plays.

Hangar18
09-26-2006, 02:02 PM

a few of those games back would've been the difference. We'd all be sitting here sipping champagne, wondering if McCarthy would be in the rotation for the playoffs ................... Makes me mad when I think of all of the "its a long season" or the "we've got plenty of games against Detroit" statements

Flight #24
09-26-2006, 02:08 PM
The 4-2 loss to KC following the Tigers sweep - nice momentum builder there...

The 4-0 loss to the Tigers the next time around, followed by the 5-4 & 8-7 losses to the Twins caused almost entirely by horrific fundamentals.

The 5-3 loss to the DRays & following 5-7 loss to the Royals.

The 2 games in Boston. "ALL FEAR THE KASON GABBARD!"

The game in Oakland where Mack misplayed the ball that ended up with Chavez & Payton on 2d & 3d with no outs. 2 sac flies in a game lost by 2.:angry:

The Sunday 5-4 loss to the A's.

10 games in which had the Sox executed in any one area: offense, defense, & relief pitching, they could easily have picked up 5 more wins and we'd be right there battling for the postseason (not to mention that hopefully had they been in the chase, we wouldn't have seen some of the lie-down-like-a-dog efforst of the past week).

All extremely winnable during a crucial stretch.

Myrtle72
09-26-2006, 02:56 PM
a few of those games back would've been the difference. We'd all be sitting here sipping champagne, wondering if McCarthy would be in the rotation for the playoffs ................... Makes me mad when I think of all of the "its a long season" or the "we've got plenty of games against Detroit" statements

Man, your post just put me in a bad mood.

stl_sox_fan
09-26-2006, 03:13 PM

Ahh memories. Had the free preview of the Extra Innings package and I got to watch this game. Wife had to calm me down as I was losing it as they were losing it.

the gooch
09-26-2006, 03:30 PM
keep them. i am now looking ahead to '07.

Who here thinks IF we made the playoffs, we could have done anything with the way we are playing? Since when was MAKING the playoffs our ultimate goal? The AL is loaded, and we have been shooting blanks for months.

Law11
09-26-2006, 03:41 PM
The Jokeland series..
Thers no way the A's are better than us.. Its that damn place...

MadetoOrta
09-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Game 3 in Baltimore where Jenks blew a save when pitching for the third straight day.

Game 3 in Pittsburgh when Sanchez homered in the 9th, IIRC.

There are also a bunch of games they won that should have been finished off earlier so that the top BP guys wouldn't have had to be used.

Samram,

Great post. These games stick in my craw+ being swept at home by the Twinkies and getting swept in NY to start the second half of the season.

In many ways, it's amazing we were in it as long as we were.

MTO

southside rocks
09-26-2006, 03:44 PM
keep them. i am now looking ahead to '07.

Who here thinks IF we made the playoffs, we could have done anything with the way we are playing? Since when was MAKING the playoffs our ultimate goal? The AL is loaded, and we have been shooting blanks for months.

That's just it. Even if the Sox took the wild card, the way the team has played since the ASB, they'd likely get swept in round one. And that would be even worse than this, to me. :(:

Said it a thousand times this season: I don't just want them to win, I want them to play well. They haven't done that in a long while.

CaptainBallz
09-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Ahh memories. Had the free preview of the Extra Innings package and I got to watch this game. Wife had to calm me down as I was losing it as they were losing it.

Although that game did inspire one of the most entertaining post game threads ever. http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69072&highlight=sniffing+glue

Ahhh, to be that young and naive again...The season seemed so long.:whiner:

EDIT: It's actually pretty sad to look back at some of the comments in that thread that proved to be issues we would be complaining about for the entire year. There it was, all there in the first week of the season. Wow.

whitesoxfan
09-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Can't believe no one mentioned the 3rd game of the season against Cleveland. Looked like we were going to take 2 of 3 to start the season, then Ozzie puts Logan in, and promptly gives up a homer to Hafner, which tied the game. Our offense didn't do anything in the 8th, 9th, and 10th, and we ended up losing in extras.

The final game in Seattle when we were in extras and that scrub Betancourt had a soft single up the middle that won the game :angry: That loss still pisses me off.

The game against the Angels (the one the night before Freddy's gem) when we had so many chances to win that game. All we needed was a sac fly from Crede in the 9th, and he struck out on 3 pitches. Then we lose in extras on a base hit by Figgins :angry:

Mohoney
09-26-2006, 06:15 PM
How about that road trip we had where we went 6-3, but dropped the 3rd game in each series to Baltimore, KC, and Toronto, when we had a lead in ALL 3 of those games?

Just win 1 of those, and tonight's game still might have meant something.

vegyrex
09-26-2006, 06:30 PM
I'd like to get back the whole month of July, especially the Boston series before the ASG, and the Yankee series after the ASG. Those two series set the tone on how the Sox would play the rest of the season.

oddlot
09-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Time to take a deep breath, put 2006 in a box, put the box in the closet, and take it out next February.

Go Bears!