PDA

View Full Version : Anyone blame themselves for the Sox?

PatK
09-26-2006, 11:10 AM
I know I'm being stupid here, but has anyone blamed themselves for the Sox not being in the playoffs?

Sometimes, I feel like it's my punishment for not rooting enough.

Last year, my significant other wanted to kill me because I was all Sox all the time. I always had the game on TV, or on the radio from April until October. I lived it and loved it. She was mad because if the game wasn't on TV, she'd look over to say something to me and I wouldn't hear her because I'd have my headphones on listening to the game.

So this year, I promised I'd tone it down a little. And now, there will be no repeat for the Sox.

If only I'd watched more games.

If only I'd listened to a few more.

If only I'd attended more games.

It's my fault this happened. It's my punishement for relaxing in my fanaticism.

Chez
09-26-2006, 11:19 AM
I agree. It's all your fault. Damn you.

my5thbench
09-26-2006, 11:24 AM
I think we'd better forgive him.....we don't want any suicides on our collective conscience....don't take it too hard man....it can't be your fault...I don't think

Chez
09-26-2006, 11:27 AM
I think we'd better forgive him.....we don't want any suicides on our collective conscience....don't take it too hard man....it can't be your fault...I don't think

Forgive? Never! We've found a willing scapegoat! This is all PatK's fault.

cheezheadsoxfan
09-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Our very own Bartman.:redneck

Iwritecode
09-26-2006, 11:31 AM
I know I'm being stupid here, but has anyone blamed themselves for the Sox not being in the playoffs?

Last year, my significant other wanted to kill me because I was all Sox all the time. I always had the game on TV, or on the radio from April until October. I lived it and loved it. She was mad because if the game wasn't on TV, she'd look over to say something to me and I wouldn't hear her because I'd have my headphones on listening to the game.

So this year, I promised I'd tone it down a little. And now, there will be no repeat for the Sox.

Not exactly but I admit I wanted it much more last year. Every day I was hoping and praying to the baseball gods that they would make. I was ready to give up my left arm for it to happen. I had many different rituals. If I wore a Sox shirt one day and they won, I had to wear a Sox shirt everyday until they lost. If I was watching the game and they were winning, I kept watching. If they started to come back while I wasn't watching, I'd turn it off and just check back every few minutes. Goofy stuff like that.

This year I gave in to the fact that they weren't going to repeat pretty early. Like around August. Sure I thought to myself more than once that it would be nice to make the playoffs again but deep down I knew it wasn't going to happen.

CaptainBallz
09-26-2006, 11:37 AM

You need to reassess your priorities my friend. We're being deprived a postseason because your girlfriend wanted "attention" and an occasional "conversation"!?:rolleyes:

If she doesn't want to talk about Ozzie's beef with BA or crappy pitching what can she possibly need to say?

Dump her.

ewokpelts
09-26-2006, 11:42 AM
no...i blame ozzie

Myrtle72
09-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Haha, I like this topic.

I think a bunch of people here aren't really responding to the topic at hand, or may not actually understand the light hearted-ness with which this was intended.

In any case, I think because of how superstitious baseball (and some sports in general) can be, everyone always looks at things they should have done differently to change the outcome of the season, as if they had control over it. And to be honest, from a purely self-centered perspective, it is nice to think that you may have had some sort of influence on what happened with the Sox even though in reality, you had none.

So, last year I didn't have time to watch more than one game a week. I was in 18 credits of class, a 20 hour a week practicum, and working 30-35 hours a week. Bascially, all I was able to do last year was eat, sleep, and work. I did; however, manage to take off some time for the World Series. :D: Anyway, this year, I have had significantly more time and have watched almost all of the games because my class load has lightened up. It has definitely occured to me that perhaps my watching the games is bad luck for the Sox, they tend to lose a lot when I watch them... (or maybe they have just been losing a lot...).

Haha. Well, I know that I had no real influence on the Sox this season, but it is nice to think that I could control something like that.

I want Mags back
09-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Last season i got new shoes before i went on vacation in August. the sox then went 0-7. I got home and wore my other shoes, the day we beat Randy Johnson to end the streak

JB98
09-26-2006, 11:59 AM
You need to reassess your priorities my friend. We're being deprived a postseason because your girlfriend wanted "attention" and an occasional "conversation"!?:rolleyes:

If she doesn't want to talk about Ozzie's beef with BA or crappy pitching what can she possibly need to say?

Dump her.

I agree. It's obviously PatK's girlfriend's fault.

jenn2080
09-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Que?? :?:
Blame myself. Absolutely not! I don't go out there and play. Is this thread suppose to be teal?

Law11
09-26-2006, 12:00 PM
I blame the unfinished green seats. It threw the team off

soxchick20
09-26-2006, 12:03 PM
i guess i do blame myself a little. i'm superstitious about what i wear to the games (or who i go with) or when i'm watching them. when they would lose, i would say "they lost because i wasn't wearing this or that". they also seemed to lose more often when certain family members of mine were there together. Like, i will not go to games with both my dad and grandpa because when they're together at a game, the Sox lose.....every time.. i'm just a weirdo. :D:

Iwritecode
09-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Que?? :?:
Blame myself. Absolutely not! I don't go out there and play. Is this thread suppose to be teal?

Semi-teal.

IIRC there was a thread last year about what superstitions/rituals people had last year. Obviously those same people did or didn't do the same things this year. :wink:

Chicken Dinner
09-26-2006, 12:13 PM
No, I'd rather say it was:

Buehrle's wife
Pualie, AJ and Juan's baby's.
Crede and AJ's haircuts
Ozzies commercials and TV specials
The Fundamentals deck and green seats
Switching from AA to United Airlines
The Fisk statue

anyone have any more non-player performance excuses?

PatK
09-26-2006, 12:16 PM
If only I'd done a better job of pretending to listen to her last year, things may have been different.

jenn2080
09-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Semi-teal.

IIRC there was a thread last year about what superstitions/rituals people had last year. Obviously those same people did or didn't do the same things this year. :wink:

DAMN THEM! :mad:

soxfan13
09-26-2006, 12:29 PM
I dont blame myself for anything this season except ruining 2 no-hitters:rolleyes:

Jerko
09-26-2006, 12:36 PM
I blame myself too. Last year, I had the American Flag as the wallpaper on my cell phone for the whole season. This year, I replaced it with not one, but TWO, 2005 World Series Champion White Sox logos. Damn Jerko.

Myrtle72
09-26-2006, 12:40 PM
No, I'd rather say it was:
anyone have any more non-player performance excuses?

Ozzie's sensitivity training classes.

Gavin
09-26-2006, 01:06 PM
No. If we're going to get selfish, they took my money and gave me nothing.

ramorgan1
09-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Sorry guys. 100% my fault. See, I had one of those really nice black rubber White Sox wristbands... and uh, well the thing is...
I put it on before the 2005 season. Left it on all season, and lo-and-behold, World Champions.

Had it on this season...they were doing pretty well.
But looked down while I was on the plane (flying to grandmother's memorial service) friday sept 15 and noticed it was gone. Figured I had more important things to worry about.

However as it would turn out this was the first game of the three-game sweep (that the Sox were on the wrong end of) and we never recovered... Sigh.

TDog
09-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Maybe it was karma -- Sox fans being punished for hubris. Some of us suddenly became a very cocky lot.

North Sox Sider
09-26-2006, 02:00 PM
I blame the Chevy Pride Crew!!!

Jerko
09-26-2006, 02:11 PM

Well, half of them probably still get grounded, so they'll get theirs!!!!!:angry::angry::angry::angry:

jenn2080
09-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Well, half of them probably still get grounded, so they'll get theirs!!!!!:angry::angry::angry::angry:

The Pride Crew is barely old enough to drive. I hate the Pride Crew. Let's blame them.

I dont blame myself for anything this season except ruining 2 no-hitters:rolleyes:

I blame you for that too John.

DachnoPiitu
09-26-2006, 03:45 PM
I wore the wristband all of the '05 season and sat in my lucky seat for almost everygame. I didn't wear my wristband nor sit in my lucky seat all of '06. :o:
I'm sorry:(:

soxchick20
09-26-2006, 04:07 PM
The Pride Crew is barely old enough to drive. I hate the Pride Crew. Let's blame them..

i second that.

Chip Z'nuff
09-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Sorry evryone it is actually my fault. I watched every game last year on a Toshiba 22in tv. After the Sox won the World Series I was so giddy I went out a bought a 42 in plasma and retired the toshiba.

If only I watched the games on that old tv :whiner:

southside rocks
09-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Well, I have been trying to avoid thinking about this, but -- I have a necklace that I wore all during September and the post-season last year.

I should have worn it all this year, but I just didn't like the way it looked with most of my outfits, so I pretended it was nothing more than a piece of jewelry, instead of the all-powerful Giver Of Wins that it obviously is.

Sorry. :(:

Frontman
09-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Well, they played .500 ball for my two games I made this year. Um, no, not really, no. I can't blame myself for the Sox playing bad baseball at times. Granted, KW hung up on me when I called, offering to go in the bullpen.

"Kenny, so what if I'm 35, out of shape, and I've got a 75 mile an hour fastball? I'm sure I could do better than Cotts! I'm even left-handed!!! Hello? Hello?"

;)

Front

wassagstdu
09-26-2006, 05:31 PM
No, it's all my fault. I wore the same Sox sweatshirt for every postseason game in 2005 but one: game 1 of the ALCS. This year I never got it out. Blame global warming.

ws05champs
09-26-2006, 06:11 PM
I did everything in my power to help the Sox win including eating 3 that is 3 Kosher dogs with onions and mustard at the game on several occasions to help them win. It is definitely not my fault.

In addition to the Chevy Pride Crew, I think the XM Radio promotion had a lot to do with their loss. It probably totally demoralized and confused the Sox.

SpartanSoxFan
09-26-2006, 06:36 PM
As superstitious as I am, I can't bring myself to feel guilty for the Sox's failures. I'm not the one swinging the bat or throwing the pitches.

AnkleSox
09-26-2006, 07:40 PM
I bought a tan Sox hat at the Pods grand slam game against the Astros... The sox never did really seem too inspired after that series. My friends and even I often blamed the hat, but I never got rid of it. It did take many throwings and stompings, but maybe its the damn tan hat that caused the sox to tank. I'm sorry guys :whiner: .

Have A Cigar
09-26-2006, 07:46 PM

Wow, all is forgiven. Ease the pain with some glutony

soxinem1
09-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Maybe.

Last year when the Indians started to surge, I realized something had to be done.

Drastically.

The days of not shaving, driving a different way home, wearing certain colors, even White Sox apparrel under my dress shirts would not work.

No, I had to do something totally different.

I wore this brand new pair of White Sox, er, socks right after the Sox lost an extra inning game to the Twins last September. They went on to win eight of ten to finish the year, and the socks were washed every day, right after the game (or the whereabouts) and worn the next day.

I gave them a couple days off after the last game of the season, but wore them throughout the playoffs.

The rest, well, is history.

But I didn't wear them all year in 2006 until just a few weeks ago. They didn't work.

It was obvious they used all their magic in 2005.

So yes, I did my part.

PatK
09-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Wow, all is forgiven. Ease the pain with some glutony

I've done that too much, and am now on the verge of a coronary.

Funny, someone mentioned a necklace. Last year, I got one of those Phiten necklaces during the Angels series. It arrived the day of game two. I put on the necklace for each game and the Sox went 8-0 the rest of the way.

Of course, in my celebrating, I put it in my pants pocket and my g/f accidently washed it.

So really, it's her fault.