PDA

View Full Version : Twins Give Some Respect To The White Sox.

Thome25
09-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Interesting article on Chicagosports.com

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060925twins,1,971806.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Twins had some good things to say about thew White Sox.

I still hate the Twinkies though!!!:angry:

oeo
09-26-2006, 09:39 AM
Originally, I thought Morneau's comments meant he didn't want to play the Sox in the postseason. No team did, because this team could do a lot of damage in a 5 or 7 game series. It's a shame that they couldn't get there, because if they did, they would repeat.

The Twins have the same thing going this year, as we did last year. I'm hoping after this disappointment of a year, they come back firing again next year. I think the team's ego got to them; that they were the best team and no one could defeat them. That's why you take lesser opponents less seriously, and why you only bring the 'intensity' to big games. That's totally different from last year, when it was, leave it all out there everyday, no matter who you were playing. Just compare last year vs. the Royals to this year. Now that they will no longer be the champs next year, they once again have to prove they are the best team.

chisoxfanatic
09-26-2006, 11:02 AM
The Twins didn't "dethrone" us. Whomever wins the World Series will have done that. That headline is completely misleading.

MarySwiss
09-26-2006, 11:04 AM
The Twins didn't "dethrone" us. Whomever wins the World Series will have done that. That headline is completely misleading.
Just gives me one more reason to hate the stinking Twins. As if I needed any!

Hangar18
09-26-2006, 11:18 AM

well, we are dethroned from the Central Division Crown .... the headline should say SOX Dethrone themselves because essentially thats what they did

Mudville
09-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Just gives me one more reason to hate the stinking Twins. As if I needed any!
What's the reason? That a CHICAGO writer used the word "dethrone?" Or were you offended that Hunter thought the Sox were the team to beat? Or that Cuddyer stills calls the Sox one of the best teams in baseball? Or does it bother you that Gardenhire is still respecting Ozzie and the Sox? Hate if you must, but at least read the article before making stupid posts like that.

southside rocks
09-26-2006, 11:39 AM
The Central Division title hasn't gone to anyone yet, and could easily go to the Tigers, who are in first place at this point.

The Twinkies are assured of a playoff spot, that's all.

I never thought I could root for the Tigers, but I find that I can, for this. :mad: I don't even know why, but I loathe the Twins. At least I respect the Tigers.

Irishsox1
09-26-2006, 11:54 AM
So let me get this straight, the Twins are going to sweep the Yankees, then go beat the A's, throwing 4 complete games then sweep the national league team......I DON'T THINK SO!

The dominance the White Sox showed in the 2005 playoffs will not be duplicated for sometime.

My guess, Twins don't get past the Yankees....again. Until then, they are a well run small market team that can't get past the big boys.

Chicken Dinner
09-26-2006, 11:58 AM
We sure saw how classless some of their fans were last night.

MarySwiss
09-26-2006, 12:02 PM
What's the reason? That a CHICAGO writer used the word "dethrone?" Or were you offended that Hunter thought the Sox were the team to beat? Or that Cuddyer stills calls the Sox one of the best teams in baseball? Or does it bother you that Gardenhire is still respecting Ozzie and the Sox? Hate if you must, but at least read the article before making stupid posts like that.

I read the article, and it made me want to puke. If you really buy into all the sunshine and lollipop talk the Twins are pumping out all of a sudden, good for you; you probably also believe in the Easter Bunny. And he may be a CHICAGO writer but he writes for the Tribune, so consider the source.

Finally, just back the hell off with the name-calling, okay?

Hangar18
09-26-2006, 12:03 PM
....... but at least read the article before making stupid posts like that.

no reason for name calling .....

MarySwiss
09-26-2006, 12:05 PM
no reason for name calling .....
Thanks, Hangar! :smile:

I want Mags back
09-26-2006, 12:08 PM
good point. **** the twinkies. cant wait to see them get swept in the 1st round.

DSpivack
09-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Until then, they are a well run small market team that can't get past the big boys.

Oh, I thought you were talking about the A's. :tongue:

Iwritecode
09-26-2006, 12:37 PM
well, we are dethroned from the Central Division Crown .... the headline should say SOX Dethrone themselves because essentially thats what they did

No kidding. For a long time I figured the two teams from the ALC that went to the post-season would be the two that sucked the least. As bad as the Sox were in the second-half, they kept in the race for a long time.

Mudville
09-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Mary Swiss: First of all, sorry to have offended. And to clarify, I didn't call YOU a name, I was referring to the logic used in your post. Still, stupid was probably the wrong word to use. My point was that this story wasn't particularly inflammatory. OK, so the Twins win; at least they appeared gracious in their comments. It would have been much worse had they used their opportunity to take a shot at the defending champions. I don't know these guys personally, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and take their quotes at face value. I just can't see getting worked up based on what I read here, Tribune writer or not.

Hangar18
09-26-2006, 12:44 PM
I don't know these guys personally, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and take their quotes at face value. I just can't see getting worked up based on what I read here, Tribune writer or not.

good comeback man. Theres a lot of name-calling, personal bashing, ridiculing, I didnt want you to fall into that trap. :gulp:

MarySwiss
09-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Mary Swiss: First of all, sorry to have offended. And to clarify, I didn't call YOU a name, I was referring to the logic used in your post. Still, stupid was probably the wrong word to use. My point was that this story wasn't particularly inflammatory. OK, so the Twins win; at least they appeared gracious in their comments. It would have been much worse had they used their opportunity to take a shot at the defending champions. I don't know these guys personally, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and take their quotes at face value. I just can't see getting worked up based on what I read here, Tribune writer or not.
Apology accepted. However, I found the story very inflammatory, especially due to the timing. As for the comments--through the years, there has been very little love lost between these two teams, so although their comments may appear gracious to some, to me they appear hypocritical. I would almost rather they took cheap shots; at least that'd be consistent!

Nellie_Fox
09-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Apology accepted. However, I found the story very inflammatory, especially due to the timing. As for the comments--through the years, there has been very little love lost between these two teams, so although their comments may appear gracious to some, to me they appear hypocritical. I would almost rather they took cheap shots; at least that'd be consistent!I found it very consistent. Gardenhire has always been complimentary of Ozzie and the Sox. Hunter picked the Sox as his favorite before the playoffs started last year. Maybe because I know so many Twins fans (living in Minnesota and all) I didn't see anything to be upset about in this article.

ma-gaga
09-27-2006, 11:21 AM
I didn't see anything to be upset about in this article.

Mary Swiss has a little irrational hatred built up towards the Twins. It wouldn't matter if the headline was "Twins bow down to W.Sox", there would be something disrespectful to her.

Off topic. How about that Asashoryo? 16th Yusho! And nobody was really close. I'm more and more amazed at his skill and focus level. He just has the mindset that's unbreakable.

Poor Hakuho, he won't make Yokozuna for another 2-3 bashos' at the earliest to make up for this one... :cool:

Nellie_Fox
09-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Mary Swiss has a little irrational hatred built up towards the Twins. It wouldn't matter if the headline was "Twins bow down to W.Sox", there would be something disrespectful to her.

Off topic. How about that Asashoryo? 16th Yusho! And nobody was really close. I'm more and more amazed at his skill and focus level. He just has the mindset that's unbreakable.

Poor Hakuho, he won't make Yokozuna for another 2-3 bashos' at the earliest to make up for this one... :cool:Yeah, Hakuho dug himself a hole by losing on the first day. Kotooshu is also having trouble coming back from injuries. They would love to have more than one Yokozuna, and I'm doubly sure that they'd love to have a Japanese Yokozuna, but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards for a while with the domination of Asashoryu and the fact that all the strong contenders are not Japanese either. Hakuho and Ama are Mongolian, Kotooshu is Bulgarian, Roho is Russian. There hasn't been a Japanese Yokozuna since Katanohana retired in 2003.

I'd love to talk to a real Sumo afficionado and see if they think Asashoryu's dominance is due to him being a historically unprecedented talent, or to a relatively weak pool of challengers.

ma-gaga
09-27-2006, 01:30 PM
I'd love to talk to a real Sumo afficionado and see if they think Asashoryu's dominance is due to him being a historically unprecedented talent, or to a relatively weak pool of challengers.

I'm addicted to Sumotalk for the recaps and Banzuke for the videos. Most of the Sumotalk writers are fairly young, and I don't know if they have the historical background for your inquiries... But I'd try e-mailing them and asking the question.

I'm guessing it's a combination of the two.

MarySwiss
09-27-2006, 03:08 PM
:cool:

If the headline was "Twins bow down to W.Sox", I'd know I was reading The Onion.

Of course it's irrational to hate a bunch of people you've never met. And I DON'T CARE. I don't hate them as individuals; I just hate the entire Twins organization.
Work on THAT one for awhile. :cool:

chisoxmike
09-27-2006, 04:05 PM
You know what. **** these guys. All these guys on the Twins talk **** all year, and now they want to complement us for giving them a tough fight and saying how great we are? Yeah, easy to do now since your there. **** off Twins. Enjoy the playoffs and shut up.

MarySwiss
09-27-2006, 04:10 PM
You know what. **** these guys. All these guys on the Twins talk **** all year, and now they want to complement us for giving them a tough fight and saying how great we are? Yeah, easy to do now since your there. **** off Twins. Enjoy the playoffs and shut up.
My point exactly. What a bunch of hypocrites.

Sox-o-matic
09-27-2006, 04:22 PM

I'm with you on everyone except for Santana, Hunter, Castillo, and Gardenhire. Santana is the best pitcher in baseball and I think the most important player in baseball, so dont **** him. Castillo is a high quality championship player who helped make millions of Cubbie fans cry, so don't **** him either. Gardenhire can manage this team any day, so don't **** him. And I used to say **** Torii Hunter, but not anymore. He's a very solid player, he has the same type of attitude that we used to hate but now love AJ for, and I kind of feel bad for him since he has to play in that ****hole where ownership doesn't spend money to contend even after making the postseason.

*Edit: I wouldn't say **** Brad Radke either since he has serious heart and is a true gamer. He'll probably never be recognized for it after he retires form baseball, but I will always respect him 1000X more than that clown Curt Schilling with his ketchup-stained sock in the playoffs. But yeah, **** Nick Punto, **** Lew Ford, **** Jason Tyner, **** Justin Morneau, and **** Joe Mauer for being such a damn good hitter.

buehrle4cy05
09-27-2006, 04:43 PM

I second this post. **** the Twins.

ma-gaga
09-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Nice. This has degraded from a great talk about the latest Basho, into a **** fest...

I just hate the entire Twins organization.
Work on THAT one for awhile. :cool:

You do, whatever works for you. It doesn't bother me. :cool:

Murphy10
09-27-2006, 08:23 PM
I've always like Torii Hunter (except for when he railroaded Jamie Burke)

chisoxmike
09-27-2006, 08:26 PM
I'm with you on everyone except for Santana, Hunter, Castillo, and Gardenhire. Santana is the best pitcher in baseball and I think the most important player in baseball, so dont **** him. Castillo is a high quality championship player who helped make millions of Cubbie fans cry, so don't **** him either. Gardenhire can manage this team any day, so don't **** him. And I used to say **** Torii Hunter, but not anymore. He's a very solid player, he has the same type of attitude that we used to hate but now love AJ for, and I kind of feel bad for him since he has to play in that ****hole where ownership doesn't spend money to contend even after making the postseason.

*Edit: I wouldn't say **** Brad Radke either since he has serious heart and is a true gamer. He'll probably never be recognized for it after he retires form baseball, but I will always respect him 1000X more than that clown Curt Schilling with his ketchup-stained sock in the playoffs. But yeah, **** Nick Punto, **** Lew Ford, **** Jason Tyner, **** Justin Morneau, and **** Joe Mauer for being such a damn good hitter.

I agree with Santana and Gardenhire, but **** Hunter. I dont care if he is a solid player, I still hate him. Santana is just the playful hate. He's so good and kills us so you just can't stand him, but he's never done or said anything that I know of to bash our team. He and their manager have always been class acts.

MarySwiss
09-27-2006, 08:39 PM
Nice. This has degraded from a great talk about the latest Basho, into a **** fest...

You do, whatever works for you. It doesn't bother me. :cool:
What a relief! :wink:

FarWestChicago
09-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Mary Swiss has a little irrational hatred built up towards the Twins. It wouldn't matter if the headline was "Twins bow down to W.Sox", there would be something disrespectful to her.A little? And only the Twinks? You are the master of understatment, my friend. :smile:

FarWestChicago
09-27-2006, 09:43 PM
You know what. **** these guys. All these guys on the Twins talk **** all year, and now they want to complement us for giving them a tough fight and saying how great we are? Yeah, easy to do now since your there. **** off Twins. Enjoy the playoffs and shut up.The Twins deserve respect. They produce year in and year out, yet they don't brag to the world that they are the greatest anything. Yet you love the ****ing A's. Get some taste and get a clue. :rolleyes:

chisoxmike
09-27-2006, 10:09 PM
The Twins deserve respect. They produce year in and year out, yet they don't brag to the world that they are the greatest anything. Yet you love the ****ing A's. Get some taste and get a clue. :rolleyes:

I dont love the A's. I want Frank to play in the playoffs and a World Series. Thats it. I have no love for the A's or Beane. I'd rather have the A's win then the Twins.

Chips
09-27-2006, 10:10 PM
I dont love the A's. I want Frank to play in the playoffs and a World Series. Thats it. I have no love for the A's or Beane. I'd rather have the A's win then the Twins.

I'd rather the Yankees win it.

chisoxmike
09-27-2006, 10:11 PM
I'd rather the Yankees win it.

They've won it enough.