PDA

View Full Version : More praise for Harris from Manuel

Jerry_Manuel
02-28-2002, 10:37 PM
Afterwards, White Sox Manager Jerry Manuel said he could envision Harris spelling Carlos Lee in left field occasionally and even hitting leadoff

Parque returns to the mound (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news_story.jsp?article_id=cws_20020228_gamerec ap_news&team_id=cws)

Pete_SSAC
02-28-2002, 10:39 PM
What is he going to spell Carlos Lee with?

Do I want to know?

:?:

- Pete

Daver
02-28-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC
What is he going to spell Carlos Lee with?

Do I want to know?

:?:

- Pete

Grazing.

MOOO!

Pete_SSAC
02-28-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by daver

Grazing.

MOOO!

Cow Bells did seem to be the "in" thing at the Olympics.

- Pete

RedPinStripes
02-28-2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Parque returns to the mound (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news_story.jsp?article_id=cws_20020228_gamerec ap_news&team_id=cws)

This sounds too much like Julio. I don't like it.

Pete_SSAC
02-28-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

I look at it this way...

Not every prospect will end up failing, we already had our failure in Julio, so Willie is gonna pan out! Right?

*crickets chirping*

Right?

*cough*

Hello?... Anyone?

- Pete

Jerry_Manuel
02-28-2002, 10:59 PM

I trust him more the Juilo. Again, Ramirez couldn't hit minor league pitching. Harris can hit minor league picthing, lets see what he does in games not vs. our guys.

czalgosz
02-28-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I trust him more the Juilo. Again, Ramirez couldn't hit minor league pitching. Harris can hit minor league picthing, lets see what he does in games not vs. our guys.

Harris also has plate patience, which Ramirez is sadly lacking.

:gun

You mean they're not all strikes?

I could envision Harris as starting CF in 2003, with Borchard in left, Hummel at 2nd, and Lee gone in a trade. Of course, I could be wrong.

RedPinStripes
02-28-2002, 11:05 PM
I hope you guys are right because it would be sweet to have young leadoff guy who can act as a leadoff man.

Daver
02-28-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Harris also has plate patience, which Ramirez is sadly lacking.

:gun

You mean they're not all strikes?

I could envision Harris as starting CF in 2003, with Borchard in left, Hummel at 2nd, and Lee gone in a trade. Of course, I could be wrong.

Harris would be in left with Borchard in Center,you waste his arm in left.

Pete_SSAC
02-28-2002, 11:11 PM

Harris would be in left with Borchard in Center,you waste his arm in left.

2003 -

LF - Harris
CF - LTP
RF - Maggs
1B - Paulie
2B - Hummel
SS - Manos
3B - Crede
C - Uhhh.. you got someone?

Jerry_Manuel
02-28-2002, 11:14 PM

Pray.

Or, Olivo.

czalgosz
02-28-2002, 11:15 PM

2003 -

LF - Harris
CF - LTP
RF - Maggs
1B - Paulie
2B - Hummel
SS - Manos
3B - Crede

It'll be Olivo - if he's half the defensive catcher people say he is, it would be worth the potential hole in the lineup.

CubKilla
02-28-2002, 11:40 PM

It'll be Olivo - if he's half the defensive catcher people say he is, it would be worth the potential hole in the lineup.

You mean another Karkovice? Does he have the occasional Karko power? I've heard alot about Olivo's defense, but what about his offense? Just wondering.

RichH55
02-28-2002, 11:43 PM
I hope you guys are right because it would be sweet to have young leadoff guy who can act as a leadoff man.

.364 OBP IIRC??? I wouldn't expect that to do up at the major league level......For 2003 a rookie leadoff hitter with only pretty good OBP minor league numbers isnt exactly heaven on earth...no matter how many steals he has

Daver
02-28-2002, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow

You mean another Karkovice? Does he have the occasional Karko power? I've heard alot about Olivo's defense, but what about his offense? Just wondering.

Without a corked bat,not much.

czalgosz
02-28-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

.364 OBP IIRC??? I wouldn't expect that to do up at the major league level......For 2003 a rookie leadoff hitter with only pretty good OBP minor league numbers isnt exactly heaven on earth...no matter how many steals he has

I feel stupid asking this, but what does IIRC stand for? I always thought it was If (something) Really Cares. Is that right?

RichH55
02-28-2002, 11:57 PM

I feel stupid asking this, but what does IIRC stand for? I always thought it was If (something) Really Cares. Is that right?

If I Recall Correctly....a good way to hedge ones bets

czalgosz
03-01-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by RichH55

If I Recall Correctly....a good way to hedge ones bets

Thanks. I've been using it wrong all along. I feel dumb.

RedPinStripes
03-01-2002, 12:16 AM

Thanks. I've been using it wrong all along. I feel dumb.

Don't worry. I never knew what it was either. :smile:

OfficerKarkovice
03-01-2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by CubsF'nBlow

You mean another Karkovice? .

Like I've said before...we can only hope.

Randar68
03-01-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

He has good strike zone judgement. He only played in like 77 games in AA last year.

His arm and footwork are superb. His game-calling skills and how he handles pitchers is the last thing holding him back from the majors. He has good, not great power. He could probably hit like a Mark Johnson (.260 hitter with a ~.350 OBP) with more power.

kermittheefrog
03-01-2002, 01:59 PM

Without a corked bat,not much.

I read the physics of baseball and the physicist who wrote it pretty much says that corking the bat is useless. What you gain in bat speed you lose in the fact that the bat is weaker.

FarWestChicago
03-01-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

I read the physics of baseball and the physicist who wrote it pretty much says that corking the bat is useless. What you gain in bat speed you lose in the fact that the bat is weaker. Yes, but what about the placebo effect caused by the batter thinking he can hit better and having more confidence? Perhaps a little confidence boost helps some hitters. :smile:

kermittheefrog
03-01-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Yes, but what about the placebo effect caused by the batter thinking he can hit better and having more confidence? Perhaps a little confidence boost helps some hitters. :smile:

I would think getting caught and looking like a moron would cancel that out too :smile:

FarWestChicago
03-01-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

I would think getting caught and looking like a moron would cancel that out too :smile: Hey, get back in that other thread and keep arguing with Vic. :D: