PDA

View Full Version : Motown Sports

thomas35forever
09-25-2006, 10:18 PM
I'm not sure about my overall impression on their fans. Half of them love that our Sox are eliminated and half really want to take the Twins down. Go over there and you be the judge.

AnkleSox
09-25-2006, 11:32 PM
Everyone in the division hates the Sox, and it stems from jealousy that the Sox play in the only real city out of all 5 times.

Detroit, Minn/St Paul, Cleveland, KC? Please :rolleyes:

Sox-o-matic
09-25-2006, 11:42 PM
Everyone in the division hates the Sox, and it stems from jealousy that the Sox play in the only real city out of all 5 times.

Detroit, Minn/St Paul, Cleveland, KC? Please :rolleyes:

Good point, although I would say that Detroit is a real city, you know in that kind of war-torn battlefield way.

Minneapolis/St. Paul doesn't count since that is part of Canada.

Cleveland is a disgusting part of Lake Erie that washed up on shore like a dead body, so I don't even know if that counts as a part of civilization.

And I don't feel like ripping on KC. I feel very, very bad for them.

Sox-o-matic
09-25-2006, 11:45 PM
I'm not sure about my overall impression on their fans. Half of them love that our Sox are eliminated and half really want to take the Twins down. Go over there and you be the judge.

I'd have to think every playoff team is happy to know that they won't have to possibly face the White Sox. Even with their terrible second half they would still be a very dangerous team.

TheDarkGundam
09-26-2006, 12:00 AM
I'd have to think every playoff team is happy to know that they won't have to possibly face the White Sox. Even with their terrible second half they would still be a very dangerous team.
Oh yeah. Cause if we were in the playoffs all those problems we had would've just gone away?
They're happy we're eliminated 'cause they don't like us. Not 'cause they're scared of us.

Sox-o-matic
09-26-2006, 12:10 AM
Oh yeah. Cause if we were in the playoffs all those problems we had would've just gone away?
They're happy we're eliminated 'cause they don't like us. Not 'cause they're scared of us.

Is it really that much of a stretch to imagine this team scoring runs?

Is it really that much of a stretch to imagine Garland-Vazquez-Garcia-Buehrle pitching solid games?

Is it really that much of a stretch to imagine a rested bullpen only having to use Hermanson, Riske, Thornton, MacDougal, and Jenks, and those five getting outs?

Anything can happen in the playoffs. If the playoffs started tomorrow and the Sox stumbled in a game ahead in the wildcard standings, still with bullpen issues, still with the inability to manufacture runs effectively, I'd still put my money on the Sox and I think a lot of other people would too.

cards press box
09-26-2006, 01:54 AM
I have a theory about the Twins' fans attitude toward the White Sox (and Sox fans): contraction. After MLB's proposed contraction, Twins fans have been a lot more hostile to the Sox and their fans. I've seen the Twins at Sox park many times over the years and prior to 2002, I do not remember visiting Twins fans ever being openly rude, loud or obnoxious. After Bud Selig floated the contraction idea, the whole atmosphere at Sox-Twins games became a lot more sour. Chicago is still the big town in the Midwest so I suppose that Twins fans view the White Sox as a symbol of large market teams that have more potential sources for revenue and, thus, more economic stability. What's really silly about all this is that the Twins fans' ire at the Sox about baseball economics is totally misplaced. The White Sox -- like the Twins -- have had to fight an uphill battle with current economic system in baseball. What other team has to share a city with a team that sells out no matter how mediocre they are? I always thought that the Sox had to fight their way out of their economic quandry and win a World Series without the benefit of the resources of the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox or Cubs. In 2005, the White Sox did just that. And I believe that White Sox will be back next year.

Anyway, I still think that the Twins' carriage will turn into a pumpkin once the Yankees show up. Minnesota fans don't want to hear this but beating out the White Sox is their World Series. Didn't Justin Morneau admit as much? If the Twins bow out and a key player like Torii Hunter leaves for greener pastures (my guess is Boston), I'm sure that Twins fans will start fuming against the White Sox once again.

QCIASOXFAN
09-26-2006, 03:03 AM
As TDG put it in an earlier post, we are not a dangerous team. We can get dangerous and blowup out of nowhere and then be dormant for the next two games. The only reason our stats look good after the allstar break is because we put 12 runs up in one game and only score 2 the next two games. Thats the 2006 Sox.