PDA

View Full Version : Official Elimination Thread

walrus
09-25-2006, 09:58 PM
Them's the breaks.

83 ALROY
09-25-2006, 10:00 PM
:angry:
Is 90 wins asking too much at this point?

jenn2080
09-25-2006, 10:02 PM
:whiner: :whiner:

Well here is to 2007:gulp:

SoxShirt
09-25-2006, 10:03 PM
:whiner: Can't wait until 2007!

jongarlandlover
09-25-2006, 10:04 PM
Oh gosh. I could cry. :whiner:

chisoxfanatic
2007 will be the return of the Sox indeed!

Thank you for the Championship run last year, giving us something that I'm sure a bunch of us thought we'd never experience.

Thank you, WSI, for being the greatest place to talk baseball.

RallyBowl
Let me be the first to say that we will win the World Series next year.:gulp:

WhiteSox1983
Dang... oh well, always next year. Baseball is mos def the hardest sport to get back to back championships.

IronFisk
09-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Dang, was it too much to ask for back to back PLAYOFF appearances? I just hope last year was no fluke.

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2006, 10:06 PM
I just hope last year was no fluke.

It wasn't. THIS year was the fluke. These guys are so much better than this, and we'll see a revamped team ready to go to battle next spring.

thomas35forever
09-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Timberwolf: "Cowabunga, mother****ers! Long live Bevington!"

SoxShirt
09-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Hell yeah! :gulp:

SABRSox
09-25-2006, 10:09 PM
It wasn't. THIS year was the fluke. These guys are so much better than this, and we'll see a revamped team ready to go to battle next spring.

Damn right. They can't fall back on being World Series Champions anymore. That's going to be another team. They'd better realize what they didn't do, and find a way to excel at it next season.

This team should have been in the playoffs. Pitchers, rest your arms. Hitters, learn to bunt in your backyards. BA, just go play winter ball so Ozzie can shut the **** up. I want to win this division by 10 games next season.

Lip Man 1
09-25-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm glad it's over.

It was like watching an illness.

These guys had been missing in action for a month now.

Lip

Chips
09-25-2006, 10:11 PM
:threadsucks

sox1970
09-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Dang, was it too much to ask for back to back PLAYOFF appearances? I just hope last year was no fluke.

I hate the word fluke when it pertains to baseball. Baseball is baseball. It's year to year. I don't know if 2005 was a fluke. All I know is they played 162 games. They led the league in wins the entire year, and then went 11-1 in the postseason. They were the best team in baseball in 2005, and they were not in 2006. It's year to year. Kenny Williams will put another good team on the field in 2007, and hopefully they find the combination that gets them back to the top. That said, I'm done talking about the 2005 White Sox and I'm done talking about the 2006 White Sox. Onward...

SpartanSoxFan
09-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Do you guys almost sense a feeling of relief like I do? Don't get me wrong, I am extremely dissapointed in the end result given the high expectations going into the year. I wanted us to AT LEAST get a chance to defend our title. But it didn't happen, and now that its over I feel like a monkey has jumped off my back.

This season has been extremely painful for me to follow, especially in these last two months. I'm sure everyone here feels the same way. I guess I take solace in the fact that this team is still a contender as-is for next year, and knowing Kenny Williams THERE WILL BE CHANGES MADE to improve the club. I doubt I'll pay much attention to the playoffs this year. I guess now is a good time to take a break from baseball until winter when the hot stove talk heats up.

kidmccarthy
09-25-2006, 10:15 PM
People can rip me, tell me im an idiot or whatever, but to me...
This season was an absolute embarrassment.
I hope they all feel that way. Kenny does im sure, and I think some big changes could be on the horizon. Unacceptable play the last month should cause a shakeup for this offseason. I am going to be livid if we go back to 2002-2004 play for any part of 2007.

SoxSpeed22
09-25-2006, 10:16 PM
They'll be back.

esbrechtel
09-25-2006, 10:16 PM
its sad :whiner: but at the same time the good thing about baseball is that in a few months it wont even matter anymore because a new season is coming and another chance to be divison champs, ALCS champs, WS champs? :gulp:

JB98
09-25-2006, 10:17 PM
Do you guys almost sense a feeling of relief like I do? Don't get me wrong, I am extremely dissapointed in the end result given the high expectations going into the year. I wanted us to AT LEAST get a chance to defend our title. But it didn't happen, and now that its over I feel like a monkey has jumped off my back.

This season has been extremely painful for me to follow, especially in these last two months. I'm sure everyone here feels the same way. I guess I take solace in the fact that this team is still a contender as-is for next year, and knowing Kenny Williams THERE WILL BE CHANGES MADE to improve the club. I doubt I'll pay much attention to the playoffs this year. I guess now is a good time to take a break from baseball until winter when the hot stove talk heats up.

Relief? I don't think that's the right way to describe it. I want those high expectations and the pressure to win. Frustration is the word I keep coming back to. I'm frustrated that we wasted JD's career year, and I'm frustrated that 20-25 of our 70 losses were self-inflicted because of bad fundamentals.

Demafrost
09-25-2006, 10:17 PM
Go Bears!

Myrtle72
09-25-2006, 10:19 PM

Yes. I agree and I'm so glad that you said that.

At least next year, they won't have to worry about all the pressure to repart a WS championship. I know things will be better next year, especially with all the power and talent we have on our team. I think what hurts the most about this is that we should have made the playoffs. I think everyone I know is suprised that the Sox aren't in it this year - even if they're not Sox fans.

Because of this, we're going to be in it next year.

Palehose Pete
09-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Yep, this year is going to motivate the team next year.

And, Lip, you're right: This last month was like watching an illness and I'm glad that it's over, too.

kidmccarthy
09-25-2006, 10:26 PM
The big question for Hawk....
Is the hunger back???

NoNeckEra
09-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Isn't this statement a little contradictory? If THESE guys are better than this, and we'll see a REVAMPED, team next spring, then THESE guys will be GONE!

Chicken Dinner
09-25-2006, 10:27 PM
That was a pathetic performance today. Ozzie has completely lost THIS team. New faces next year are a guarantee.

sox647
09-25-2006, 10:29 PM
i guess i can take it easy now, ****!

only 5 games left to watch now. after that, wake me up when next season arrives.

here's to the '06 season (both the good & the bad) :gulp: . it was a hell of a ride!

looking forward to '07. GO SOX!:bandance:

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2006, 10:31 PM
Isn't this statement a little contradictory? If THESE guys are better than this, and we'll see a REVAMPED, team next spring, then THESE guys will be GONE!

Not really. There will be a few changes; but, the vast majority will still be here. "These guys" will go out and work on their game during the offseason.

spiffie
09-25-2006, 10:32 PM
You know, I just don't believe that to be the case. There's only 2 guys on this team who really underachieved this year and that's Podsednik and Buehrle. Everyone else either was at or above their career norms (except Freddy, slightly below).

Sadly, a few guys had career years in 2005, and we thought they would do it again in 2006 (Pods, Cotts, Politte, Hermanson, Contreras in the second half) and they didn't.

spiffie
09-25-2006, 10:34 PM
Relief? I don't think that's the right way to describe it. I want those high expectations and the pressure to win. Frustration is the word I keep coming back to. I'm frustrated that we wasted JD's career year, and I'm frustrated that 20-25 of our 70 losses were self-inflicted because of bad fundamentals.
We wasted more than just his career year. This was probably the best year ever for JD, Konerko, Pierzynski and Crede. Of all of them, only Crede would seem likely to improve on this year's performance.

Chicken Dinner
09-25-2006, 10:34 PM
Sure am glad that Sept. 30th game is on TV.

Patrick134
09-25-2006, 10:35 PM
You know, I just don't believe that to be the case. There's only 2 guys on this team who really underachieved this year and that's Podsednik and Buehrle. Everyone else either was at or above their career norms (except Freddy, slightly below).

Sadly, a few guys had career years in 2005, and we thought they would do it again in 2006 (Pods, Cotts, Politte, Hermanson, Contreras in the second half) and they didn't.

This entire season was far froma disaster. Look at everything the day of aj's big homer off ryan dempster in the 9th. Then look at everything after. It was a diaster 2nd half, not a horrible full year.

Chicago
09-25-2006, 10:35 PM
BACK TO HEAVEN IN 2007

Nobody can take 2005 from us. We were the World Champs. Thanks for the life long memories.

GO GO WHITE SOX!!!

Palehose Pete
09-25-2006, 10:36 PM
I'm turning off the TV and avoiding ESPN for the next day. No Twins footage or press for me about them clinching the WC, thank you very much. It's a media blackout. Good night.

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2006, 10:36 PM
There's only 2 guys on this team who really underachieved this year and that's Podsednik and Buehrle.

I greatly disagree. A player's offensive stats don't tell the whole story, unlike Baseball Prospectus will lead you to believe. There were tons of ways they underachieved as a team (poor fielding, not getting guys in with RISP, etc...).

oeo
09-25-2006, 10:37 PM

Seriously, though. The team just seemed burnt out, maybe it was because of the shortened offseason, I don't know. But I don't care what anyone says, this rotation is much better than it performed this year. They will come back next year firing on all cylinders.

palehozenychicty
09-25-2006, 10:37 PM
[quote=spiffie;1363919]You know, I just don't believe that to be the case. There's only 2 guys on this team who really underachieved this year and that's Podsednik and Buehrle. Everyone else either was at or above their career norms (except Freddy, slightly below).
quote]

They are among the biggest reasons why we did not return to the postseason this year. Posednik did not play with the same verve and Buehrle was terrible for the entire second half. If those two performed like they did last year, we'd be still in it right now.

slobes
09-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Just start countin down the days til '07

TheOldRoman
09-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Ah, at least we put an end to this huge embarrassing failure.

http://videodetective.com/photos/815/003424_16.jpg
"Psst. Yer a huge embarrassing failure."

JB98
09-25-2006, 10:40 PM
We wasted more than just his career year. This was probably the best year ever for JD, Konerko, Pierzynski and Crede. Of all of them, only Crede would seem likely to improve on this year's performance.

I don't think this was AJ's best year. The overall numbers were pretty good, but I thought he was hot and cold. Konerko went .300/35/115. I don't think it's unrealistic to think he could equal that next year if he has a healthy Thome hitting in front of him again.

I think Crede had a career year.

ChiSoxGirl
09-25-2006, 10:44 PM
Let the replacing of the remaining blue seats begin!

oeo
09-25-2006, 10:44 PM

2005 wasn't even the best year of Pods' career (although short; his 2003 numbers were much better)...so who's to say that this year was not an off year? Hermanson was not very good down the stretch for the Sox last year, and Politte did, indeed, have a career year. Cotts is still too young to make that judgment, although it probably was a career year, I think he still underachieved this year. And Contreras was great up until he went on the DL early in the year...showed flashes of last season many times after that as well. If Contreras can stay healthy, he can be an ace on nearly every rotation in baseball. Go ahead and tell me any staff you would rather have next year...and I'm serious.

The Tigers? If the 2005 Sox overachieved, the 2006 Tigers overachieved...Nate ****ing Robertson? *****...the only guy in that rotation that will be worth anything next year, is Verlander. Bonderman- still overrated, Zumaya- good bullpen guy, but lets see how his overused fastball translates to starting games. Robertson and Maroth...uh, no.

The Twins? Santana. If Liriano comes back from his injury and is as effective as he was before it, sure. But, who knows? The guy may never pitch the same again. Then look through the rest of that...I'd rather have Garland, Garcia, and Vazquez, than Silva, Garza, and Bonser.

The 2006 Sox did underachieve, and it starts right with their rotation. I'll put money on Vazquez having a "career year" next year, Buehrle coming back to his pre-2006, Garland pitching as effective as he did in the second half. If Freddy is still here, and his velocity is back, that guy will be near unhittable. I'm worried about Contreras because of his age, but that's it. If this is our rotation going into 2007, I will be just as optimistic about it as I was before this year.

STRETCH!!!
09-25-2006, 10:46 PM
Bottom Line:

It was a a great season (2005) and a half of 2006 - and a dismal second half of 2006.

I think it is an open question on how good or bad we'll be in 2007.

It certainly does feel like a wasted opportunity in 2006. Back to back championships was quite a bit to ask, but 2 straight seasons making the playoffs wasn't..

Iwritecode
09-25-2006, 10:49 PM
All I can say is thank goodness this team didn't somehow manage to back their way into the playoffs. They would've been embarassed right back out in the first round.

Andy T Clown
09-25-2006, 10:50 PM
The chip will be back on the shoulder next year and we will be back in the playoffs!!!:angry:

HITMEN OF 77
09-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Turn out the lights and say goodnight. See you again in 2007.

BA: The Hitman
09-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Well, we all knew this day would come and it really sucks.

I'm just glad that I didn't make plans to go to minnesota this weekend like I had been considering.

It's time for KW to work his magic in the offseason like we all know he will. Go Bears!

Sox-o-matic
09-25-2006, 11:20 PM
By the time the Bears get done with the Superbowl, we'll be in the thick of the Bulls dominating season. And by the time the Bulls finish with the finals, we'll already be 3 months into the '07 campaign.

downstairs
09-25-2006, 11:24 PM
Geaux Saints!

/That is all

DoItForDanPasqua
09-25-2006, 11:28 PM
Wait, is it too late to join the National League?

BanditJimmy
09-25-2006, 11:33 PM
In March, you would have told me that 2 teams of the AL Central would make the post season ... I would have bet my house the Sox or Indians would have been one of them. No question.

Today I would be homeless with such a bet.

areilly
09-25-2006, 11:35 PM
"I grieve for you...still life carries on and on and on and on."

- PG

DoItForDanPasqua
09-26-2006, 12:03 AM
Now cracks a noble heart. Good night, sweet prince,
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest

23Ventura
09-26-2006, 12:06 AM
Well, I could see this day coming since the Oakland series, but even though I was expecting it, it still hurts. I know many people are calling this season a failure or an embarrassment, but this team will still win around 90 games in a very tough division. I guess they still underachieved quite a bit in the 2nd half, but it's hard to call a 90 win team an embarrassment. I am confident that Kenny will not be satisfied, and will do what is needed to put this team back on top. I've got a great feeling about '07. Until then, go Bears!

sox230
09-26-2006, 12:12 AM
I'm just ticked off because of the cowards and idiots like Morneau, who boldly states that he solely wishes that the White Sox would be out of the playoffs. He picked quite a convenient time to say that as the Twins were well on their way to locking it up. Where was he earlier in the season when the season was in question? Where were his comments last year? I just hate cowards who make stupid comments just laying into another team when there is hardly any risk involved in making the comments. REAL BOLD. Our team never made (to my knowledge) any comments making fun of another team or squarely laying into them just to rub it in last year. It ticks me off because people like Morneau, no matter how good his stats our, NEVER deserve to make the playoffs when he has to voice his jealousy towards another team by bragging to them about the present, because the immaturity shown doesn't deserve to reap rewards. I HATE the Twins. On the other hand, since I go to Michigan, (if I was Morneau I would say something like, "I squarely hope that now Notre Dame doesn't make the BCS title game) I have encountered many Tigers fans, who for the most part have been very gracious, haven't rubbed it in, and have definetly respected the Sox for their accomplishments in 2005. I wish them the best and hopefully they can go throuhg what we did.
P.S. Did u see how empty the Metredome was on the night where they clinch at home? A COMPLETE JOKE.

TheOldRoman
09-26-2006, 12:14 AM
There is only one thing that is keeping me from being depressed tonight (ok, two things if you consider the job I started today:D:).

Bear Down, Chicago Bears.
Make every play clear the way to victory!
Put up a fight with a might so fearlessly!

We'll never forget the way you thrilled the nation,
With your T formation.

And let them know why you're wearing the crown.

You're the pride and joy,
of all Illinois.

Chicago Bears, Bear Down!

We all felt it and knew it was coming for a while, so it doesn't hurt as much. I hope I never see such a pathetic bunch of underachievers again in my life.

spiffie
09-26-2006, 12:35 AM
I greatly disagree. A player's offensive stats don't tell the whole story, unlike Baseball Prospectus will lead you to believe. There were tons of ways they underachieved as a team (poor fielding, not getting guys in with RISP, etc...).
Well, the fielding I'll agree with. Which is why I want Uribe and Podsednik gone (Uribe loses focus out there a lot leading to dumb plays) and Anderson playing 140 games in CF.

As for the RISP...we hit .280 as a team with RISP or some insanely high number like that. Last year though we were golden in that seemingly every time we needed one guy to get a hit, he would get it. You can't plan for that, you can't train for that. You hope that one of those 3 out of ten times will happen when you desperately need it.

oeo named a couple guys he thought would be improving next year. I hope he's right about Buehrle and Vazquez, because those two are the difference right now between us being 1st or 3rd. But other than Anderson, there's no one on the offense right now I would expect to put up better numbers than last year. Pods seems a spent force to me, unlike a Buehrle who could rebound with a season off. I doubt we'll find out either way though with Pods.

This team needs more than a few new guys if they're going to improve on this year. SS, LF, one or more starters, and 3-4 bullpen guys. Perhaps one or two of those spots get filled in house, but otherwise I see no improvements internally.

spiffie
09-26-2006, 12:52 AM
2005 wasn't even the best year of Pods' career (although short; his 2003 numbers were much better)...so who's to say that this year was not an off year? Hermanson was not very good down the stretch for the Sox last year, and Politte did, indeed, have a career year. Cotts is still too young to make that judgment, although it probably was a career year, I think he still underachieved this year. And Contreras was great up until he went on the DL early in the year...showed flashes of last season many times after that as well. If Contreras can stay healthy, he can be an ace on nearly every rotation in baseball. Go ahead and tell me any staff you would rather have next year...and I'm serious.

Regarding Pods, if there wasn't an inflection point for his decline I would be more likely to agree with you. But since he got injured in 2005 his production has been steadily mediocre. Hence my willingness to give Buehrle the benefit of the doubt in a way I wouldn't give Podsednik. As for Cotts, he's young, I'd let him try to work stuff out in the minors. But I'd be surprised if he has another year with an ERA+ of 229 or anything close to it. Hermanson was poor down the stretch, but lights out for 3-4 months last year. Contreras scares me because of age and injury. When a guy is anywhere from 35-40, every injury could be the one that nudges him into mediocrity. I'm not running around yelling "Trade Jose!", but I would be very careful, and if someone really wanted him, I'd hope KW would listen. Staff I'd rather have for next year? Oakland.

The Tigers? If the 2005 Sox overachieved, the 2006 Tigers overachieved...Nate ****ing Robertson? *****...the only guy in that rotation that will be worth anything next year, is Verlander. Bonderman- still overrated, Zumaya- good bullpen guy, but lets see how his overused fastball translates to starting games. Robertson and Maroth...uh, no.
I agree, the Tigers had the luck we had last year, where every time they needed a hit they rolled the dice and hit their 3 in 10 chance. They will be solid next year, but unlikely to have a run like they had this season.

The Twins? Santana. If Liriano comes back from his injury and is as effective as he was before it, sure. But, who knows? The guy may never pitch the same again. Then look through the rest of that...I'd rather have Garland, Garcia, and Vazquez, than Silva, Garza, and Bonser.
You make an unfair comparison as right now Garland would be my Santana comparison. Also, I doubt Silva is in the rotation next season. Right now, looking to the next 4 years, I'd much have the rotation of Santana, Liriano, Garza, Bonser, Baker. They potentially have their rotation set through 2010. Personally, I hope they all bomb and Liriano's arm falls off and Santana is eaten by wolves. But the ****ing Twins never seem to be fazed by anything, so I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The 2006 Sox did underachieve, and it starts right with their rotation. I'll put money on Vazquez having a "career year" next year, Buehrle coming back to his pre-2006, Garland pitching as effective as he did in the second half. If Freddy is still here, and his velocity is back, that guy will be near unhittable. I'm worried about Contreras because of his age, but that's it. If this is our rotation going into 2007, I will be just as optimistic about it as I was before this year.
If you're serious about Vazquez, talk to me in private. After 3 years of him doing the same thing over and over I'm not confident in him doing anything other than what he did this year. Garland I think has become the ace he always could be. Garcia...do we get September Freddy or August Freddy? Buehrle may just need rest...or he may be fried. Contreras is iffy due to the health and age. The rotation as it now stands, to me at least, has more questions than answers for this team going forward.

Chisox003
09-26-2006, 12:55 AM
This hurts. A lot.

IowaSox1971
09-26-2006, 02:37 AM
People can rip me, tell me im an idiot or whatever, but to me...
This season was an absolute embarrassment.
I hope they all feel that way. Kenny does im sure, and I think some big changes could be on the horizon. Unacceptable play the last month should cause a shakeup for this offseason. I am going to be livid if we go back to 2002-2004 play for any part of 2007.

If you're a Cubs fan, this season can be called an "absolute embarrassment." If you're a White Sox fan, the proper term should be "slightly disappointing." We still have a decent chance to win 90 games, even though most of our star players (Thome, Dye, Crede and Konerko) and some of our best pitchers (Contreras, Buehrle, Jenks and MacDougal) have played hurt during the second half.

We happened to fall short of the playoffs while playing in the toughest division of the toughest league. We did not equal our World Series title of 2005, but this year we did not have Politte, Cotts and Hermanson enjoying career years out of the pen, and we also lacked the sensational starting pitching that we enjoyed last season.

Get used to it: In baseball, you're not always going to have great pitching every season. When you don't have it, it's tough to win a championship, but it's not "embarrassing" if you don't.

QCIASOXFAN
09-26-2006, 02:51 AM
It was fun for 3 months but the rest of the time was was an unpredictable mess. Sox in 07 Baby :gulp:

Grzegorz
09-26-2006, 04:38 AM
If you're a White Sox fan, the proper term should be "slightly disappointing."

If a poll were taken, I'd bet more than not would describe this season as a little more than "slightly disappointing".

Though it looks as if the race was fairly close from August all the way to the second to last week, in reality the race was never as close as it looked in terms of games back.

There are many areas that this team needs to address and limited resources in the minor leagues to draw talent to the White Sox via trades. KW and the players on the team have much work to do to get back into the playoffs for 2007.

eastchicagosoxfan
09-26-2006, 04:44 AM
2005 The Thrill of Victory

2006 The Agony of Defeat

There were so many thrilling victories in 2005.

In the play-offs there were:
the El Duque gama
The A.J. Game
The Blum Game
The 1-0 clincher

This season:
Losing to the Cubs in a football game
Tori Hunter hitting another late inning homer
Several other late inning collapses that escape me at the moment

wassagstdu
09-26-2006, 06:37 AM
The 2006 "Victory Lap" is over. Time for the next race.

Dan H
09-26-2006, 06:47 AM
In the last five games, the once proud pitching staff has given up 48 runs. You can't just pass that off as being a slump. That is just plain lousy. I know even the bad AL teams can hit, but this is embarassing. Freddie Garcia should have never have faced Beltre in the seventh in the last home game, but Guillen had no faith in his bullpen. And with good reason since it is non-existent. I didn't get to see the Indians game but I can only imagine how bad the bullpen had to have been.

In the 12-7 win, the Sox failed to bring in a runner from third with less than two outs on four straight tries. That is crummy offensive execution. Some ridicule "small ball" but there are times you have to score without hitting a homerun. The fact that the Sox hit five homers hid this and all these home runs have hidden the fact they have not cashed on many crucial scoring oppotunities this entire season.

Some fans take solace in that the Sox played well in the first half. But a 162-game season will eventually expose a team and its faults. These club has many. Significant changes have to be made or 2007 will be a third place finish or even worse.

BeviBall!
09-26-2006, 07:22 AM
Keep away from sportscenter... they are eating this up. I don't remember an "in memoriam" segment for Boston last year.

eastchicagosoxfan
09-26-2006, 07:41 AM
In the last five games, the once proud pitching staff has given up 48 runs. You can't just pass that off as being a slump. That is just plain lousy. I know even the bad AL teams can hit, but this is embarassing. Freddie Garcia should have never have faced Beltre in the seventh in the last home game, but Guillen had no faith in his bullpen. And with good reason since it is non-existent. I didn't get to see the Indians game but I can only imagine how bad the bullpen had to have been.

In the 12-7 win, the Sox failed to bring in a runner from third with less than two outs on four straight tries. That is crummy offensive execution. Some ridicule "small ball" but there are times you have to score without hitting a homerun. The fact that the Sox hit five homers hid this and all these home runs have hidden the fact they have not cashed on many crucial scoring oppotunities this entire season.

Some fans take solace in that the Sox played well in the first half. But a 162-game season will eventually expose a team and its faults. These club has many. Significant changes have to be made or 2007 will be a third place finish or even worse.

I think the team developed a home run mentality, and never got out of it. Guys lost their edge. The pressure to execute was overshadowed by the expectation that a homer would take care of everything. The team became slower too. Thome can't run. Nor can Konerko and Crede. Dye is a year older, and Gooch never got on base enough to steal bases, something he was supposed to be able to do. Rowand's speed wasn't replaced by Anderson's. Harris's and Everret's speed were lost. With the addition of Thome, the Sox attempted a Cannae against the American League. But over 162 game season, they found themselves in trench warfare, unable to outmaneuver their opponents.
I don't know what happenned to the pitching. Were guys tired? Did guys go out there hurt? Last year Cotts and Polite were lights out, this year they were lit up.

I don't know if the Sox will look to move Thome, but he clearly couldn't hold up for a full season. Dye's trade value will never be higher, and he might be the odd man out as the Sox try to get faster, and younger.

stl_sox_fan
09-26-2006, 07:45 AM
Keep away from sportscenter... they are eating this up. I don't remember an "in memoriam" segment for Boston last year.

In actuality, they are probably upset they got eliminated with a handful of games left. No more teasers going into commercial break "up next, the defending WS champs have their backs against the wall, could they finally break out against <insert opponent here>.

World loves to raise you up...just to knock you down.

esbrechtel
09-26-2006, 08:01 AM
at least they are getting press now....

kidmccarthy
09-26-2006, 08:18 AM
If you're a Cubs fan, this season can be called an "absolute embarrassment."

What the heck is that supposed to mean? You trying to say im a bandwagon guy. I bleed black. Im sorry if 90 wins is okay with you. Its not okay with me. Ive sat through too many years of frustration with 84-90 win seasons to just lay down and accept this year. Mediocre is not acceptable. I know the division was tough, but unless this team won the world series, you really cant be "okay" with the way they performed. Not only will they not do that, they will be golfing in less than a week. Yes we won in 2005, but this is 2006. A dynasty was in the making. Now we are just another flash in the pan in the eyes of the boo-yah boobs and everyone who doubted us.

esbrechtel
09-26-2006, 08:21 AM
to expect your team to win the WS EVERY YEAR is insane i believe the WS is the most difficult championship in sports...i would have loved for them to make the playoffs but they did have a decent season and i believe that was the point of previous posts....

Thome25
09-26-2006, 08:24 AM
I'm not gonna come into this thread and whine about what shoulda-woulda-coulda been.

The White Sox gave it a good fight in the toughest division in the toughest league; despite the fact that their starting pitching was sub-par all season.

Their bullpen was absolutely brutal all year long and they still gave it a fight and a pretty good one at that.

So it didn't work out this season. So what? I'm still glad we all got to see a World Series championship in our lifetimes.

This team still has an extremely bright future ahead of it. I have nothing but faith in management. They will fix this team and we will be back on track next season and contending for another WS championship.

I'm disappointed about this season but, I'm also hopeful for next season at the same time.

We'll get up, dust ourselves off, and silence all of our critics in Cleveland, Detroit, and especially that cesspool in Minnesota. Oh, and all those boneheaded losers on ESPN as well.

I HATE MINNESOTA AND THE TWINS!! ESPECIALLY MORNEAU!!! GO WHOEVER WINS THE NL!!!!!!!!!:angry:

jenn2080
09-26-2006, 08:27 AM
What the heck is that supposed to mean? You trying to say im a bandwagon guy. I bleed black. Im sorry if 90 wins is okay with you. Its not okay with me. Ive sat through too many years of frustration with 84-90 win seasons to just lay down and accept this year. Mediocre is not acceptable. I know the division was tough, but unless this team won the world series, you really cant be "okay" with the way they performed. Not only will they not do that, they will be golfing in less than a week. Yes we won in 2005, but this is 2006. A dynasty was in the making. Now we are just another flash in the pan in the eyes of the boo-yah boobs and everyone who doubted us.

Looks like you have a lot of disappointment in life.

kidmccarthy
09-26-2006, 08:29 AM
to expect your team to win the WS EVERY YEAR is insane

Not when the sox won in 2005, and got BETTER!!! This lineup was far superior, and our pitching looked great to start the season. I dont expect them every year, but every White Sox fan this year should have expected October baseball. The playoffs are a whole nother beast themselves, and I agree anything can happen. Maybe I am insane. But I bet a whole lot of other members here had high expectations for this club.

kidmccarthy
09-26-2006, 08:31 AM
Looks like you have a lot of disappointment in life.

Come on now... Thats a cheap shot. Actually my life is pretty darn good. I have no complaints. I am a very happy person, I just like a consistent effort from my team. Is that too much to ask?

Thome25
09-26-2006, 08:32 AM

What are we? Yankees fans now? We all want our team in the WS every year but to EXPECT IT as Yankees fans do, is crazy.

kidmccarthy
09-26-2006, 08:34 AM
Well its official then. The pileup has begun on me. I said I would take it. But man you guys are brutal! Oh well, looking forward to a great 07!

Thome25
09-26-2006, 08:37 AM
kidmccarthy--

you're entitled to your opinion. Personally I like your passion. But, don't get so worked up. There's still alot to look forward to.

And no one can ever take away the championship that we look back on so fondly either.

Suburbanbuddha
09-26-2006, 08:56 AM
Hey, I'm with kidmccarthy on this!

The second half of this season was absolute crap. I do not have to be satisfied with 3rd place in the division. You think Yankee fans are nuts? Well they put the pressure on Steinbrenner so that he makes the moves to keep his team hungry enough to make the playoffs every year! That's what I want from the Sox! We did not put close to 3 million butts in the seats to watch this team admire their rings all summer. Ozzie liked to say "those are the World Champs out there.." Well they didn't play like champs and in about a month it'll be someone else's trophy.

If third is good enough for you - then that is just what you will get. If you are happy with the season ending in September then you may as well go get a big glass of Kool-Aid and put a red c on your hat.

Only a team this good could make me this angry.

Ok finished with rant.

Good luck Frank - may you win back the MVP that was stolen in 2000 (unless it goes to Dye)

Good luck - anyone playing the Twins.

southside rocks
09-26-2006, 09:21 AM
I really hope that the kids play the rest of the way. I do want to watch the last 5 games, but if they're anything like last night's fiasco, I'm not going to be able to do it. :(:

I've been sad for some time, watching this team play far below its collective ability. I don't know what caused that, but I hope the management has some ideas so it can be addressed in the off-season.

Nobody's satisfied with third place. Don't say we are. But it's only Jerry Reinsdorf, Kenny Williams, and Ozzie Guillen who can ACT on that dissatisfaction. As a fan, what are you going to do? Stop buying tickets? Write nasty e-mails to Ozzie?

That's about your only option, since you can't ream the players, trade them, put them on conditioning programs, or send them for rehab. Fans didn't cause the problems with the team, fans can't fix the problems.

I have faith in KW and Ozzie. They will build a team for 2007 that is better because of what they saw in the 2006 team; I really believe that.

spiffie
09-26-2006, 09:29 AM
Nobody's satisfied with third place. Don't say we are. But it's only Jerry Reinsdorf, Kenny Williams, and Ozzie Guillen who can ACT on that dissatisfaction. As a fan, what are you going to do? Stop buying tickets?
I have a hunch you're going to see that decision made a lot more often than it was this year. Personally, I know that while I'm renewing my 27-game plan, unless I see some major moves this offseason I don't see myself buying more than 3-4 other games, as opposed to this year when I bought an extra 25 or so. If they don't do something to show they recognize the rather large holes in this team, and then perform on the field, you'll see a lot of folks expressing their displeasure or disinterest through lack of consumption. The grace period in modern sports is not all that long, as the few thousand people in Jacobs Field last night can attest to.

kidmccarthy
09-26-2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks for some support! I am a very passionate fan. Thanks for noticing. Its probably my downfall as well. I am done ranting. I needed to get that off my chest. My wife is sick of hearing it. Like I said, 2007 should be a fun ride. Now I wont EXPECT them to win. :D:

spiffie
09-26-2006, 09:31 AM
What are we? Yankees fans now? We all want our team in the WS every year but to EXPECT IT as Yankees fans do, is crazy.
This is a major market team with a lot of resources. As Kenny Williams says, there is only one grade for a season without a World Series appearance, and that grade is "F". Save the cross-your-fingers and root the boys on and hope for the best stuff for the folks at 1060 W. Addison.

Thome25
09-26-2006, 09:42 AM
This is a major market team with a lot of resources. As Kenny Williams says, there is only one grade for a season without a World Series appearance, and that grade is "F". Save the cross-your-fingers and root the boys on and hope for the best stuff for the folks at 1060 W. Addison.

Nobody on here is saying "Be a Cubs fan" and have their attitude. But what I am saying is be realistic and it's not realistic to expect to go to the WS every year no matter who you are. Even the Yankees.

You broke the golden rule on here. You can call someone *******, mother****er, or any other bad name but DON'T EVER even insinuate that someone is a Cubs fan or is acting like one. PERIOD.

southside rocks
09-26-2006, 09:52 AM
I have a hunch you're going to see that decision made a lot more often than it was this year. Personally, I know that while I'm renewing my 27-game plan, unless I see some major moves this offseason I don't see myself buying more than 3-4 other games, as opposed to this year when I bought an extra 25 or so. If they don't do something to show they recognize the rather large holes in this team, and then perform on the field, you'll see a lot of folks expressing their displeasure or disinterest through lack of consumption. The grace period in modern sports is not all that long, as the few thousand people in Jacobs Field last night can attest to.

You could be right. I don't think that the bloom fades in one season, though. And I don't think that the comparison to Cleveland is really a good one; Chicago's a better baseball city then Cleveland, overall.

There are a several factors that go into the good attendance at the Cell, I think:

1. Neighborhood much improved over past 5 years, becoming gentrified even, and housing projects that used to loom over the park, so to speak, are gone, so people from suburbs and other areas feel less hesitant to go there;

2. Cell is a much more fan-friendly place than it was 5 years ago, and the club has promotions that attract families and even people who are not hard-core baseball nuts but want to enjoy a summer day/evening;

3. Northside baseball club has been so bad the past few years that people are willing to try a new venue, particularly when #1 and #2 are brought to their attention;

4. Sox teams are not the dead-ass losers that some of have seen in decades past. Yeah, the '06 Sox are out of it, but come on -- they were eliminated on September 25. Not June 25. :tongue: I'm just saying.

So while fans can always choose to stop supporting the team by buying tickets, I really don't see attendance dipping next year. My prediction (and you can make me eat my words a year from now if I'm wrong): with a good competitive team on the field next year, the Sox draw no fewer than 2.5 million, and if the '07 team goes to the post-season, 3 million is a lock.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Oh, and I have seen nothing that makes me think that JR, KW and OG plan to do nothing about the 'large holes' on this club. Quite the opposite, in fact!

spiffie
09-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Nobody on here is saying "Be a Cubs fan" and have their attitude. But what I am saying is be realistic and it's not realistic to expect to go to the WS every year no matter who you are. Even the Yankees.

You broke the golden rule on here. You can call someone *******, mother****er, or any other bad name but DON'T EVER even insinuate that someone is a Cubs fan or is acting like one. PERIOD.
If you expect mediocrity, you will rarely be disappointed. Thankfully, from everything they've ever said, this organization does not share your willingness to avoid disappointment. Which is good. I'd much rather the GM be hungry and the fans easily satisfied than vice versa.

spiffie
09-26-2006, 09:58 AM
You could be right. I don't think that the bloom fades in one season, though. And I don't think that the comparison to Cleveland is really a good one; Chicago's a better baseball city then Cleveland, overall.

There are a several factors that go into the good attendance at the Cell, I think:

1. Neighborhood much improved over past 5 years, becoming gentrified even, and housing projects that used to loom over the park, so to speak, are gone, so people from suburbs and other areas feel less hesitant to go there;

2. Cell is a much more fan-friendly place than it was 5 years ago, and the club has promotions that attract families and even people who are not hard-core baseball nuts but want to enjoy a summer day/evening;

3. Northside baseball club has been so bad the past few years that people are willing to try a new venue, particularly when #1 and #2 are brought to their attention;

4. Sox teams are not the dead-ass losers that some of have seen in decades past. Yeah, the '06 Sox are out of it, but come on -- they were eliminated on September 25. Not June 25. :tongue: I'm just saying.

So while fans can always choose to stop supporting the team by buying tickets, I really don't see attendance dipping next year. My prediction (and you can make me eat my words a year from now if I'm wrong): with a good competitive team on the field next year, the Sox draw no fewer than 2.5 million, and if the '07 team goes to the post-season, 3 million is a lock.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Oh, and I have seen nothing that makes me think that JR, KW and OG plan to do nothing about the 'large holes' on this club. Quite the opposite, in fact!
I agree that the days of the 12,000 announced and 5,000 actually there are likely not going to be seen again anytime soon. But unless they make some sort of giant move this off-season they will be closer to 2.5 million than 3 million. While the regular Sox fans will be pretty much on course for last year, a lot of the very casual fans, the ones who bumped things up from 2.5 to 2.9+ this year will likely pass since the Sox are losers going into this offseason. Not that 2.5 is not a damn nice number.

southside rocks
09-26-2006, 10:05 AM
I agree that the days of the 12,000 announced and 5,000 actually there are likely not going to be seen again anytime soon. But unless they make some sort of giant move this off-season they will be closer to 2.5 million than 3 million. While the regular Sox fans will be pretty much on course for last year, a lot of the very casual fans, the ones who bumped things up from 2.5 to 2.9+ this year will likely pass since the Sox are losers going into this offseason. Not that 2.5 is not a damn nice number.

LOL! I remember those days! I was there! It was very peaceful in the right-field stands; plenty of room to move around. Older guys from the neighborhood sat with their feet up and talked about great baseball teams of the past. I actually used to bring a book (a baseball book, but still...) to the games.

We'll all be watching the a-word figures with great interest next year. I think that casual fans will go where it's fun, and the Cell now is on the list of fun places. (After all, it's the casual fans who have been keeping that wreck of a ballpark on the north side packed, even with the worst teams in decades playing ... although that too could change in '07!)

But I absolutely agree that for the Sox to hit 3 mil next year, there needs to be a first-place team on the field.

Iwritecode
09-26-2006, 10:05 AM
If you're a Cubs fan, this season can be called an "absolute embarrassment." If you're a White Sox fan, the proper term should be "slightly disappointing." We still have a decent chance to win 90 games, even though most of our star players (Thome, Dye, Crede and Konerko) and some of our best pitchers (Contreras, Buehrle, Jenks and MacDougal) have played hurt during the second half.

Cub fans can consider their season embarrassing because they have pretty much been the worst team in the worst division in baseball. They also lost their entire starting rotation and their best hitter for parts and sometimes the entire season. They weren't coming off a World Series victory with the expectations of making the postseason a second year in a row.

The Sox on the other hand have had one starting pitcher on the DL the entire season. The entire 25-man roster has been relatively healthy the entire season. The offense has been hitting the crap out of the ball. They've been setting historical and team records for offense all season long. They were expected to win between 95 and 105 games and take the divsion easily. Yet here we are with a 30 - 39 record in the second half. That's only 3 games better than the Royals.

Pretty embarassing if you ask me...

wdelaney72
09-26-2006, 10:07 AM
I think the team developed a home run mentality, and never got out of it.

Considering the pitching staff CONSTANTLY put the team in a position where they were trailing by mulitple runs, it's hard not to live and die with the 3-run homer.

Shift
09-26-2006, 10:14 AM
An overall poor effort from a pretty good team. I'm thankful it's over. The team can now complete the vacation they started weeks ago.

Hangar18
09-26-2006, 10:22 AM

And make sure they're ANGLED towards the infield this time ...........

Hangar18
09-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Hey, I'm with kidmccarthy on this!

The second half of this season was absolute crap. I do not have to be satisfied with 3rd place in the division. You think Yankee fans are nuts? Well they put the pressure on Steinbrenner so that he makes the moves to keep his team hungry enough to make the playoffs every year! That's what I want from the Sox! We did not put close to 3 million butts in the seats to watch this team admire their rings all summer. Ozzie liked to say "those are the World Champs out there.." Well they didn't play like champs and in about a month it'll be someone else's trophy.

If third is good enough for you - then that is just what you will get. If you are happy with the season ending in September then you may as well go get a big glass of Kool-Aid and put a red c on your hat.

Nice Rant man. I was having a beer with an alleged SOX fan, and was angry over being eliminated. He said I must not be a "real" SOX fan if Im going to be this angry, "...the SOX just won it all for gods sake".
And you know what I said?
"With that attitude, im just like a Cubs fan then"

tony1972
09-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Silver Lining:

Well at least this gives them more time to replace the green seats this offseason (sigh)..:?:

Paulwny
09-26-2006, 10:36 AM

I'm hoping you're wrong, but afraid you may be right.

I really got pissed off last night when I saw some kid holding a sign," Ozzie, now who is choking.", even though I belive this to be true. :angry:

esbrechtel
09-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Nice Rant man. I was having a beer with an alleged SOX fan, and was angry over being eliminated. He said I must not be a "real" SOX fan if Im going to be this angry, "...the SOX just won it all for gods sake".
And you know what I said?
"With that attitude, im just like a Cubs fan then"

i doubt anyone here is happy they got eliminated....just because people arent ready to go jump off a building because the sox lost makes them a cubs fan...if there is one thing about this board that angers me the second anyone tries to argue any points no matter what they be they are labled a cub fan....thats pretty crappy....

Hangar18
09-26-2006, 11:29 AM
i doubt anyone here is happy they got eliminated....just because people arent ready to go jump off a building because the sox lost makes them a cubs fan...if there is one thing about this board that angers me the second anyone tries to argue any points no matter what they be they are labled a cub fan....thats pretty crappy....

someone called me one the other day ....
(
for the record, I dont randomly go to their games, I dont plan group outings at their stadium, and I especially dont plan group outings to see that other team in other NL cities neither.)

PaulDrake
09-26-2006, 11:52 AM

Some fans take solace in that the Sox played well in the first half. But a 162-game season will eventually expose a team and its faults. These club has many. Significant changes have to be made or 2007 will be a third place finish or even worse. I can find nothing to argue with here. All of our Central Division rivals should be better next year, and the Sox are 31-41 since the Boston series at home before the All Star break.

ewokpelts
09-26-2006, 12:09 PM
And make sure they're ANGLED towards the infield this time ...........
that's the plan

LongLiveFisk
09-26-2006, 12:27 PM
This team is going to come back much stronger next year. I really, really believe that.

Here's to 2007! :gulp: