PDA

View Full Version : *Offical 9-25-06* For Whom the Bell Tolls

gbergman
09-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Take a look to the sky 2006 White Sox just before you die, its the last time you will.(Meaning seasons offically over)

What a way to end our hopes and dreams

Sox-o-matic
09-25-2006, 09:34 PM
Hey! The game isn't over yet. It's only 14-1. We can come back...

mccoydp
09-25-2006, 09:35 PM
13 more runs to go, and only two outs left. I like those odds.

JB98
09-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Great defense tonight.

Myrtle72
09-25-2006, 09:40 PM
And that's that. Well, it was fun.

samram
09-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Well, nothing like fighting to the bitter end.

kingpin_rcs
09-25-2006, 09:43 PM
Goodbye 2006 season. Thanks for being this century's very own 1984.

palehozenychicty
09-25-2006, 09:44 PM
Following this on gamecast was ugly, and I couldn't imagine watching it. Well, the front office has to go back to the drawing board.

MrRoboto83
09-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Playoff tickets arrive and the season is over, great timing.

sox1970
09-25-2006, 09:47 PM
Goodbye 2006 season. Thanks for being this century's very own 1984.

The difference is, the Sox won the World Series last year and there's a lot to look forward to. 2.9 million fans means the money will be spent on putting a very good team on the field for years to come. Let's hope the wait for another championship isn't far way.

Mr. White Sox
"This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a whimper."
-TS Eliot

BiggestFan14
Garland didn't have a chance... Good night White Sox, and thanks for the fun while it lasted.. :whiner:

southside rocks
09-25-2006, 09:50 PM
Ugh. That was just ... distasteful. :(:

Chips
09-25-2006, 09:58 PM
I turned it off when the Monday Night Football game started.

BiggestFan14
09-25-2006, 10:01 PM
I turned it off when the Monday Night Football game started.Unfortunately, I left the Sox game on. :(:

Palehose Pete
09-25-2006, 10:04 PM
Very distasteful. P. U. What a stinker.

I, too, switched to Monday Night Football when it started.

Next year should be better. The Tigers will come to earth, the Twins will do what they do, and the Tribe and Royals may do... something, I suppose. The Sox will be better, though.

Thank you for the 2005 World Series memories, Sox. They'll help us all get over this last season and look to next year.

soxchick20
09-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Thank you White Sox for 2005! 06 may be over, but 07 is right around the corner. Let's go.

Palehose Pete
09-25-2006, 10:10 PM
Also, I never thought that I'd say this, but I actually want the Twins to win tonight just so that this season can *officially* be over. The sweet release of knowing that we have nothing left to hope for this season will be welcome. I don't think I can take another day thinking that the Sox are mathematically still in it even though everyone knows better.

Lip Man 1
09-25-2006, 10:10 PM
14 runs....
3 errors...
Another loss to a garbage team with a losing record...
48 runs allowed in the past five games...
16th time this season, staff allowed 10 or more runs in a game...

:o: :o: :o: :o:

and Boone Logan.....I don't know if I should laugh or cry about him.

They don't go out with a bang, but more like a whimper.

Lip

guillensmofia
09-25-2006, 10:13 PM
14 runs....
3 errors...

Lip

i think the team will be doing plenty of crying of their own tonight.

SluggersAway
09-25-2006, 10:14 PM
The Tigers will come to earth...The Sox will be better, though.

I recall this same thinking after the all-star break. Can't we all just deal with the facts on the ground rather than drink the kool-aid on the day we have been eliminated from the play-offs?

The dark clouds were right, we can be hopeful for the future, but making blanket statements without facts and no clear vision of the roster next year is delusional.

InContention
09-25-2006, 10:14 PM
-TS Eliot

Can't be put any better than that...

JB98
09-25-2006, 10:15 PM
14 runs....
3 errors...

Lip

Lip, just be glad Logan is ****ting himself. He's pitching himself out of contention for a 2007 roster spot, and as you know, that is a good thing.

Palehose Pete
09-25-2006, 10:17 PM
Oh, I'm definitely delusional at this point. The time for clear minded, well-thought out arguments for what the team will be like in the future will come for me around November. Until then, though, I just keep wrapping myself up in that blanket of fuzzy logic and warm hope that the Sox will come back stronger next year. October is gonna be a long month, friends.

guillensmofia
09-25-2006, 10:18 PM
"Garland gave up 12 runs, but only eight were earned"

ONLY??
only.

PAPChiSox729
09-25-2006, 10:19 PM
-TS Eliot

They played like hollow men.

bryPt
09-25-2006, 10:27 PM
wow.

This is the first time in my life that I am going to see my favorite team in all of sports get eliminated from the playoff hunt the year after they won a championship.

One last thank you to the 2005 World Series Champions. Thank you boys, for making 2005 one of the greatest years of my life.

But now the year of celebration is over. 2007 is just a few short, COLD, months away. Take those COLD winter months to reflect on the feeling you had as you ran on the field to jump on Bobby Jenks. Savior it. Smell the scent of champagne in your hair. Feel the stress and sweat and pain that you went through your entire life to get to that one second where Paulie caught that ball and you exploded. Harness those feelings. Let them build inside you again. Feel that burning to win again. To recapture that drive, that urge, that passion. Get the blood flowing to dominate, to show no mercy, to destroy your apponent. Let it build, fueling the flame inside you, so when April comes around, you can unleash the furry, like a title (no pun intended) wave on the league. You are the hunter again, and you will feast. You will do whatever it takes to win again, to dominate, to lift that trophy again and catch the ticker tape in your hands as you ride down LaSalle in late October 2007. Win it again for the best damn city on earth, for the best damn fans on earth, and most of all, do it to feed your soul. Win it boys, just win it all in 2007!

Hitmen77
09-25-2006, 10:27 PM
well, at least they can start ripping out the last of the blue seats.

Norberto7
09-25-2006, 10:32 PM
I laughed when I heard the final score. You have to appreciate the guys not wanting to put the fans through any false hopes of a miracle finish.

Kub_Killer_15
09-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Cleveland Indinans killed us:o:

Ol' No. 2
09-25-2006, 10:35 PM
I recall this same thinking after the all-star break. Can't we all just deal with the facts on the ground rather than drink the kool-aid on the day we have been eliminated from the play-offs?

The dark clouds were right, we can be hopeful for the future, but making blanket statements without facts and no clear vision of the roster next year is delusional.The Tigers did, in fact, come down to earth, just as predicted. They then proceeded to go considerably lower. The only problem is, the Sox beat them in the race to the bottom.

The Dude
09-25-2006, 10:36 PM
I turned it off when the Monday Night Football game started.

I'm sure you've tuned in for the halftime show! U2 is on

Grzegorz
09-25-2006, 10:36 PM
There is no easy way to say this; the White Sox tonight did their very best Cubs impression. So good was it that I didn't know which team I was watching.

Frankfan4life
09-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Not even close. I don't know why I expected better, but I did. I was hoping for a real dog fight to the end. I guess that's what upsets me the most.

The only thing to do now is focus on building a contender for 2007. It won't be a quick and easy fix. So many things went wrong this year. We can't really blame injuries, it just seems to be a major execution problem. I would more or less categorize it as a lack of luck or Murphy's Law. It seems like everything that could go wrong, did and everything that could go right, didn't.

Palehose Pete
09-25-2006, 10:39 PM
5-1 Twinkies in the 8th.

Wait for it... aaaaannnnd, cut. That's a wrap.

ShoelessJoeS
09-25-2006, 10:41 PM
Maybe it's better that it ends like this, as oppose to something really heartbreaking during the last series. I don't know, but 2007 can't come soon enough.

Lip Man 1
09-25-2006, 10:42 PM
As the Twins get ready to dance on the Sox grave, this is from the AP story on the game:

"Before the game, Guillen lamented the lack of fundamentals as one of the biggest reasons the White Sox might not make the playoffs. And in the first, a blown play at the plate led to Cleveland scoring three unearned runs."

Which again begs the questions, how can a team 'suddenly' forget to catch the ball, bunt, hit the other way, steal bases and so forth...

And why couldn't or didn't Ozzie do anything to stop it.

I for one will be watching like a hawk this spring to see if, in fact, the Sox are devoting more time to fundamentals as Ozzie promised.

To have this group not even get to 90 wins is simply unbelieveable.

Lip

digdagdug23
09-25-2006, 10:46 PM

Seriously, who is drinking kool-aid? yes, tehre were a few pollyanna's around, but some people are this way BY NATURE. Same can be said of dark clouds. I tend to be more of the latter as a sports fan, and come by it honestly. I have been a fan of Chicago teams for almost 40 years now, and you just wait for the proverbial other shoe to drop. I have been burned in many years by getting my hopes up, only to have them ripped to shreds the next week, I now tend to look at the glass as half-empty as a result. Not that there is a right or wrong way to look at things, it just helps me to wrap my mind around something when it goes wrong, and I can be pleasantly surprised when they go right. As I always say "Hope for the best, but expect the worst".

The dark clouds were right, we can be hopeful for the future, but making blanket statements without facts and no clear vision of the roster next year is delusional.
I hate hate HATE when people make comments like this. Just because you think you are right, doesn't mean you are. You can be a dark cloud all season long, and you have a 50/50 shot at being right. These are not overwhelming odds. Some people chose to look at things blanketed, and not over-analyze what went wrong. This doesn't make them wrong or right, smart or stupid, just the way some choose to look at it.

I love the game of baseball, my favorite player from this team is Jermaine Dye, my favorite player of all time was Pudge Fisk. I couldn't tell you one solid stat that either player had, but that does not diminish my love for watching them play the game. I can tell you some absolutely monumental plays they were involved with, probably couldn't tell you who they were playing, even though I was there. It doesn't make me dumb, I just choose to look at things from a different perspective.

This team made me extremely overjoyed last year, and broke my heart this year. It is over, and I will continue my love affair next year, occassionally remembering 2005 with fondness, and will file 2006 away with some of the same affection. I had some very loving memories with my family there this year, as well. It was my boys' first baseball game, my husband's first visit to the South Side, my daughter and I shared 5 games, and soon she will be off to college, a new life, and it will never be the same again. Rather than marking my life with wins and losses, I like to keep a little perspective.

Lip Man 1
09-25-2006, 10:51 PM
To have the Twins get off to the kind of start they did and then to lose for large amounts of time guys like Radke, Liriano, Stewart, Hunter, Ford and to still find a way to win over 90 games and make the playoffs.

Incredible.

And then there's the way the 2006 White Sox responded to 'pressure.'

Incredible.

That's something I hope stays in the Sox guts all off season. If they are smart they'll use it for motivation.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
09-25-2006, 10:52 PM
As the Twins get ready to dance on the Sox grave, this is from the AP story on the game:

"Before the game, Guillen lamented the lack of fundamentals as one of the biggest reasons the White Sox might not make the playoffs. And in the first, a blown play at the plate led to Cleveland scoring three unearned runs."

Which again begs the questions, how can a team 'suddenly' forget to catch the ball, bunt, hit the other way, steal bases and so forth...

And why couldn't or didn't Ozzie do anything to stop it.

I for one will be watching like a hawk this spring to see if, in fact, the Sox are devoting more time to fundamentals as Ozzie promised.

To have this group not even get to 90 wins is simply unbelieveable.

LipI think if there's one difference from last year it's that the chip is gone from their shoulders. Every one of these guys came into last year with something to prove. Think about it: AJ, Dye, Podsednik, Garland, Contreras...right down the roster - every one of them. Add in the "experts" all picking them for 4th place and the regular bleating of the Cubune and they had plenty of extra motivation. Even though they tried as hard as they could this year, without that chip to give you that little extra when you need it, they came up short time and time again. It's just that little bit extra, summed up for every one of 25 players over 162 games.

Lip Man 1
09-25-2006, 10:54 PM
No.2:

Good point. Although I think the word 'heart' has a better meaning in this context then 'chip'.

Simply put they got satisfied over the off season.

Lip

Lip Man 1
09-25-2006, 10:55 PM
8-1 Twins now.

Lip

ajismyhero
09-25-2006, 10:56 PM
I think I can hear the faint sound of taps outside of my window right now....

RetireWoodys28
09-25-2006, 10:56 PM
"Garland gave up 12 runs, but only eight were earned"

ONLY??
only.
:rolling: I thought the same thing!

Bye bye 2006 White Sox. I - for one - still managed to have a lot of fun a long the way. But the team looked like they hated their job tonight.

HotelWhiteSox
09-25-2006, 10:59 PM
i think the team will be doing plenty of crying of their own tonight.

I doubt it, from the looks of their play, looks like they've been looking forward to the end of the season for weeks now

TornLabrum
09-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Well, it could always be worse. I could have been a Cubs or a Royals fan.

MarySwiss
09-25-2006, 11:01 PM
8-1 Twins now.

Lip

And that's a final. :angry: :whiner:

thomas35forever
09-25-2006, 11:02 PM
And that's a final. :angry: :whiner:
Season's officially over.:whiner: :whiner:

Ol' No. 2
09-25-2006, 11:02 PM
Bye bye 2006 White Sox. I - for one - still managed to have a lot of fun a long the way. But the team looked like they hated their job tonight.They did. There's no worse place to be than on the road playing out the string, about to be eliminated. Even if you're making millions of dollars, it still sucks.

Time to play the kids.

Myrtle72
09-25-2006, 11:03 PM
It's actually offical now:

The White Sox are out of the playoffs for 2006.

I was honestly hanging on by a thread. And I really didn't think it would come this quick, I knew they had at least another day or two in them.

I wonder what the mood was like in their locker room tonight.

palehozenychicty
09-25-2006, 11:05 PM
Well, it could always be worse. I could have been a Cubs or a Royals fan.

Indeed.

A. Cavatica
09-25-2006, 11:05 PM
How about ripping off a five-game winning streak right about now?

IronFisk
09-25-2006, 11:07 PM
It's actually offical now:

The White Sox are out of the playoffs for 2006.

I was honestly hanging on by a thread. And I really didn't think it would come this quick, I knew they had at least another day or two in them.

How? This has been their pattern for the last month now. Predictable ending I'm afraid.

caulfield12
09-25-2006, 11:07 PM
I think if there's one difference from last year it's that the chip is gone from their shoulders. Every one of these guys came into last year with something to prove. Think about it: AJ, Dye, Podsednik, Garland, Contreras...right down the roster - every one of them. Add in the "experts" all picking them for 4th place and the regular bleating of the Cubune and they had plenty of extra motivation. Even though they tried as hard as they could this year, without that chip to give you that little extra when you need it, they came up short time and time again. It's just that little bit extra, summed up for every one of 25 players over 162 games.

Royals will have motivation of having celebrations two nights in a row to sit through....that sucks. They'll probably win the AL Central next year, and say these two nights were their motivation, lol.

Heck, Pods had a ton to prove after the Lee trade and his 2004 season, was another key. Iguchi was an unknown. Jenks was in AA and had been released. Cotts. Politte. Hermanson. Many thought El Duque was done.

About 60-75% of that team really had something to prove.

Myrtle72
09-25-2006, 11:12 PM
How? This has been their pattern for the last month now. Predictable ending I'm afraid.

You're probably right, but my point was, I had some kind of faith in this team even though it was obvious to everyone else that it wasn't possbile.

mwc44
09-25-2006, 11:15 PM
:whiner: Look at it quickly.... before it changes.... :whiner:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ps/y2005/index.jsp

Palehose Pete
09-25-2006, 11:15 PM
It is done.

Peace at last.

Spring 2007 could be sweet if the Sox really try to get back to the basics. You know, like solid pitching, timely hitting and fielding.

DumpJerry
09-25-2006, 11:19 PM
Thanks for showing up.
Now, go get some rest.

Martinigirl
09-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Season's officially over.:whiner: :whiner:

I am actually grateful that, if we had to lose, at least we didn't have to watch the Twins while they celebrated their playoff berth. That would have made me violently ill.

Go Tigers.

TornLabrum
09-25-2006, 11:21 PM
And SoxFest is only 4 months from tomorrow....

Myrtle72
09-25-2006, 11:22 PM
I am actually grateful that, if we had to lose, at least we didn't have to watch the Twins while they celebrated their playoff berth. That would have made me violently ill.

Go Tigers.

Good point. I can't stand the Twins. And of course, they got their wish. The Sox aren't in the playoffs and they are. :mad:

thomas35forever
09-25-2006, 11:22 PM

Go Tigers.
Unfortunately, my dad turned to ESPNEWS and I saw part of the celebration. I hated it.

BeviBall!
09-25-2006, 11:24 PM
Back to The Parking Lot! There's Simpsons threads to read!

ChiSoxGirl
09-25-2006, 11:29 PM
Though I considered last Monday night's loss to the Tigers the final nail in the coffin for this team, something about the finality of it all tonight and the fact that it's now official our team is not going to the playoffs (let alone defending their Championship) makes this tough to swallow.

:hawk
"This is the most talented third place team I have ever been associated with."

Goodnight sweet White Sox and thank you for 2005- the greatest season of my life. May your slumber be peaceful and may it revive you for a new and promising 2007.

Patrick134
09-25-2006, 11:32 PM
[quote=ChiSoxGirl;1363908]Though I considered last Monday night's loss to the Tigers the final nail in the coffin for this team, something about the finality of it all tonight and the fact that it's now official our team is not going to the playoffs (let alone defending their Championship) makes this tough to swallow.

It'd be tougher to swallow id they deserved to make the playoffs. Heck i wish they were in, but nobody who has watched this team the 2nd half should think they deseve to be there.

ChiSoxGirl
09-25-2006, 11:36 PM
It'd be tougher to swallow id they deserved to make the playoffs. Heck i wish they were in, but nobody who has watched this team the 2nd half should think they deseve to be there.

Oh, I completely agree with you. I wish they were going to the playoffs, but I know full well this team doesn't deserve to go. We all know it's better this way- to be eliminated tonight- than to have the Twins clinch it over the weekend... at their place... in front of us. Forget throwing up a little... in my mouth- that would make me :puking: !

Patrick134
09-25-2006, 11:37 PM
Oh, I completely agree with you. I wish they were going to the playoffs, but I know full well this team doesn't deserve to go. We all know it's better this way- to be eliminated tonight- than to have the Twins clinch it over the weekend... at their place... in front of us. Forget throwing up a little... in my mouth- that would make me :puking: !

Great point, I will, however enjoy the Twins annual nosedive in the postseason.

palehozenychicty
09-25-2006, 11:39 PM
Great point, I will, however enjoy the Twins annual nosedive in the postseason.

Yes, they will fall.

PeoriaSoxFan
09-25-2006, 11:58 PM
There is a long line of ugly and disgusting losses this year, but over the last week, there were four as ugly as any. Last Monday Night vs. Detroit, (I was lucky enough to be there)....Thur. and Fri. vs. Seattle - embarrassing and tonight's game - even worse. I find these losses very disturbing. Looking to next year, it is difficult to really assess this team. Do we have any pitchers worth a darn now? There was no consistency, for the most part, unless it was bad. Kenny, I hope you can figure this out and Jerry don't stop spending money now.

SluggersAway
09-26-2006, 12:02 AM
digdagdug23,

Give it up, the poster i was addressing my comment to admitted he was delusional. Read the thread.

SluggersAway
09-26-2006, 12:05 AM
Oops, it looks like he has already been banned, for what I do not know.

IronFisk
09-26-2006, 12:15 AM

Well hun, I guess you'll sleep better this October. Feel any better? :(:

ChiSoxGirl
09-26-2006, 12:19 AM
Well hun, I guess you'll sleep better this October. Feel any better? :(:

Long time no see!!! Where've you been?

It's funny you should bring up the issue of sleep because I was chatting with alohafri tonight and told him that this October will be anything but sleepless for me, and I won't end up with strep throat by early November! Man, those were not good times last November, but the strep was definitely worth it! :redface:

Myrtle72
09-26-2006, 12:26 AM
I bet the Sox are really NOT looking foward to playing in Minn. this weekend. I know I wouldn't be.

Maybe they can shake the Twins up a little bit just before the playoffs. Wouldn't that be nice. I doubt they'll use Santana on us now, not sure if he was scheduled or not... but I'm willing to bet they'll save him for the playoffs.

ws05champs
09-26-2006, 12:35 AM
Way to go down in flames tonight! I think I'm going to put on Wagner's Gotterdammerung (The Twilight of the Gods) and listen to it in the darkness.

Mr. White Sox
09-26-2006, 12:47 AM
chicagosports.com's headline? OUCH!
Its first one clearly copied me :smile::
Out with a Whimper

Its second headline hurt:
Stop Believin'.

Myrtle72
09-26-2006, 01:03 AM
chicagosports.com's headline? OUCH!
Its first one clearly copied me :smile::
Out with a Whimper

Its second headline hurt:
Stop Believin'.

Seriously. Ouch.

CLR01
09-26-2006, 02:00 AM
I'm glad I decided to take in a Cards game instead of this crap. If only I had a gun to take out the ones who kept pointing out the score. :angry:

I still haven't looked at a box score for the Sox game and I don't think I am going to. :puking:

Britt Burns
09-26-2006, 02:10 AM
Wow. I really am stunned. I truly believed thos team was good enough to light it up the last few weeks of the season and hit the playoffs running. I don't think this was as bad as '84, because we were never in it then, but it still hurts.

IowaSox1971
09-26-2006, 03:20 AM
To have the Twins get off to the kind of start they did and then to lose for large amounts of time guys like Radke, Liriano, Stewart, Hunter, Ford and to still find a way to win over 90 games and make the playoffs.

Incredible.

And then there's the way the 2006 White Sox responded to 'pressure.'

Incredible.

That's something I hope stays in the Sox guts all off season. If they are smart they'll use it for motivation.

Lip

I think it's a bit unfair to say the 2006 Sox choked or were unable to handle pressure. Yes, the Twins have had a lot of injuries, but the White Sox also have had a lot of guys playing hurt in the second half. Contreras and Buehrle have not been close to 100 percent the past few months, and Jenks and McDougal have not been healthy the past few weeks either. And guys like Dye, Thome, Crede and Konerko have not been completely healthy either in the second half, but they still played while at less than 100 percent.

All four of our top power hitters have experienced back trouble in the second half. It's no conincidence that we've struggled in that time. Look at Thome, for example. It seems the only time he hits a home run anymore is to left-center field. I'm sure Crede's bad back had something to do with his big recent slump. Konerko says in the Trib tonight that he's had a bad back since May. And Dye has fought off a wide variety of nagging injuries. These guys have not quit -- sometimes your body just gives out.

I have not posted for a while, but I warned everybody here when the season began that it would be difficult for us to return to the playoffs because guys like Cotts, Politte and Hermanson were not going to have the same type of career seasons that they had last year. All had ERAs around 2.00 last year, and I knew that wasn't going to happen again. Except for guys like Mariano Rivera, many relievers' ERAs can fluctuate a great deal from one year to the next. But I was practically laughed off the message board when I dared to suggest that Politte, Cotts and Hermanson had career years in 2005 that would be impossible to match in 2006.

People with unrealistic expectations should not take out their frustrations by questioning the effort that was given. What about Contreras staying in the game in Oakland after injuring his hamstring? What about Dye playing last Sunday after hurting his hamstring the day before? What about McDougal and Jenks pitching through pain the past few weeks? What about Thome and Crede playing with bad backs? Have you ever tried to swing a baseball bat while experiencing back pain? It's not easy.

Basically, with the bullpen woes, the nagging injuries and our paying the price for our starting pitchers throwing so many innings in 2005, it was going to be difficult to repeat as champions this season. We're definitely one of the top eight teams in baseball, and in a normal year, we would have made the playoffs, but it's just our luck that nearly all of the playoff-worthy teams are in the AL. That's just one more thing that went against us this year.

Grzegorz
09-26-2006, 06:04 AM
We're definitely one of the top eight teams in baseball, and in a normal year, we would have made the playoffs, but it's just our luck that nearly all of the playoff-worthy teams are in the AL. That's just one more thing that went against us this year.

I didn't buy that the White Sox should achieve this or that this year because their team looks good on paper. I certainly do not buy this idea for 2007. This team was never able to play consistently over the long haul. Forget those winning streaks against the NL; they're inferior talent wise.

When the White Sox needed to beat the cream of the AL it couldn't be done.

This team and KW has a lot of work to do for 2007; every aspect of the team failed for a stretch in 2006. So this team has to get better and fast; the AL Central is a division on the rise.

I am a White Sox fan and realist but I have faith. I know as disappointed as I am KW has to be beside himself with the way this team performed this year. KW will address this situation. How? I am not sure, but he'll address the situation.

soxinem1
09-26-2006, 07:51 AM

They just returned the favor from last year. I'm sure it made Wedge and Co. feel villified. At least our season wasn't over by the 20th game of the season like theirs.

Did anyone else hear 'The Night Chicago Died' being played by CLE's sound guy in the ninth? A classless move on their part, but it was reality.

Frontman
09-26-2006, 08:34 AM
-TS Eliot

Eliot was right. I think the Sox could cry out loud due to the beatdown they took.

Man, what a difference 24 hours can make. They played some great baseball on Sunday. I think the odds were just too much, and hence we got a really poor performance out of them today.

Front

Frontman
09-26-2006, 08:35 AM
They just returned the favor from last year. I'm sure it made Wedge and Co. feel villified. At least our season wasn't over by the 20th game of the season like theirs.

Did anyone else hear 'The Night Chicago Died' being played by CLE's sound guy in the ninth? A classless move on their part, but it was reality.

Nah, I didn't hear it. But if anyone knows the guys email address, just send him a copy of the standings for this year. :angry:

HerzogVon
09-26-2006, 08:44 AM
I think if there's one difference from last year it's that the chip is gone from their shoulders. Every one of these guys came into last year with something to prove. Think about it: AJ, Dye, Podsednik, Garland, Contreras...right down the roster - every one of them. Add in the "experts" all picking them for 4th place and the regular bleating of the Cubune and they had plenty of extra motivation. Even though they tried as hard as they could this year, without that chip to give you that little extra when you need it, they came up short time and time again. It's just that little bit extra, summed up for every one of 25 players over 162 games.

It just goes to show, once again, how truly difficult it is to repeat in MLB. It's not like the NBA, where if you have the most talent you are likely to win. This is part of what makes baseball so fascinating and maddening at the same time.

A lot of people made fun of "chemistry" and "magic", but they were a big part of the 2005 experience. It all just went "poof" this year. Enough cannot be said about the part that KW's trades played in this debacle, although I'm not going to rehash the litany again. It's ancient history now, but hopefully some lessons will be learned.

More mysterious was the transformation of Ozzie from inspirational genius to clueless flounderer. Hard to belive that sensitivity training would be THAT emasculating.

harwar
09-26-2006, 08:54 AM
There is no solace for us
for such as we
who search for some hidden city
we shall never see
only the sun and the wind and the rain
and the watchfire under the stars
then the road again ..

Myrtle72
09-26-2006, 08:55 AM

No, we killed us. The Indians just happened to be there.

MrX
09-26-2006, 11:30 AM
A lot of people made fun of "chemistry" and "magic", but they were a big part of the 2005 experience. It all just went "poof" this year. Enough cannot be said about the part that KW's trades played in this debacle, although I'm not going to rehash the litany again. It's ancient history now, but hopefully some lessons will be learned.
Oh god, not another Rowand post.

southside rocks
09-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Oh god, not another Rowand post.

I thought it was another Carl Everett post. :rolleyes:

Chemistry is a by-product of winning.

Winning is not a by-product of chemistry.

The Mets players on TWIB last night were all talking about the 'chemistry' of their team this year. Uh, yeah, you guys led the league pretty much all season and then you clinched your division in mid-September. Clearly, in order to do that you had players who played really well, played for the team, and came through in the clutch. So you had chemistry.

They didn't start in April with 'great clubhouse chemistry' and win because of it.

Can anyone name one team, this season, that is not winning either its division or wild card, and has 'great chemistry'? I bet not.

Lip Man 1
09-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Iowa:

Then explain for me please the 30 losses to teams that are going to finish the 2006 with a losing record.

SOMEONE was beating them regularly...unfortunately it wasn't us.

When you have that much talent and are that much better then those garbage teams there can be only one reason for that many losses....call it lack of effort, cruise control, underachieving no heart..whatever you wish.

And yes the Sox had nagging injuries since the start of spring training which HAD to cause them issues but the only guy out for any real period of time was Hermanson.

Lip

vegyrex
09-27-2006, 12:39 AM
90 wins is beginning to look like a longshot.

Nellie_Fox
09-27-2006, 12:49 AM
90 wins is beginning to look like a longshot.89 is starting to look like a longshot.