PDA

View Full Version : What is the appeal of Arizona for Spring Training

Fenway
09-25-2006, 03:45 PM
I have to admit I am at a loss why teams seem to be fleeing Florida for Arizona for spring training. Why has Arizona become so popular with MLB teams???

Take it one step further do you think the White Sox are better off in Tuscon than Sarasota?

Deuce
09-25-2006, 03:52 PM
Less volatile weather. It rains in Florida quite a bit during Spring Training.

Deuce

soxfan13
09-25-2006, 03:53 PM
The dry heat:smile:

maurice
09-25-2006, 04:03 PM
I guess it's subjective, but IMO Arizona >>> Florida.

As far as the Sox are concerned, they'll stay in AZ for the foreseeable future, at least in part, because a high % of the management (and at least one very high-priced player) have homes in AZ.

You mentioned the Columbus AAA vacancy in another thread. The Sox are committed to Charlotte because of its proximity to the Sox other minor-league teams. It's very easy to shift coaches, scouts, and players from team to team.

MarySwiss
09-25-2006, 04:25 PM

I agree. :D:

Palehose13
09-25-2006, 04:29 PM
I'd rather have the Sox back in Florida.

Chicken Dinner
09-25-2006, 04:47 PM
Arizona is better because of the location of the teams. You have 9 teams that are less than an hour from each other (at the most) and 3 more teams that are about 2 hours away. Florida has way more distance between teams which is more bus time.

Fenway
09-25-2006, 04:50 PM

Arizona doesn't have an ocean :smile:

as more teams leave Florida it is getting harder to schedule games. Red Sox and the Twins seem to play each other every 2 days as there is nobody else close to Ft Myers

MarySwiss
09-25-2006, 05:09 PM

as more teams leave Florida it is getting harder to schedule games. Red Sox and the Twins seem to play each other every 2 days as there is nobody else close to Ft Myers

So what? Florida doesn't have a Grand Canyon. :cool:

And your comment about no one else being close to Fort Myers seems to underline Chicken Dinner's point, I think.

Palehose13
09-25-2006, 05:17 PM

And your comment about no one else being close to Fort Myers seems to underline Chicken Dinner's point, I think.

There are plenty of teams in the Tampa/St. Pete area and Orlando isn't that far away (~90 minutes) which blows up the bus theory for that area.

Grapefruit League Map (http://www.tickco.com/spring-training/grapefruit-league-stadiums.htm)

I personally prefer the Gulf Coast. Arizona is boring...more to do in Florida and IMO, is cheaper for travel.

Fenway
09-25-2006, 05:18 PM

There are sinkholes in Florida that rival the Grand Canyon

http://www.sptimes.com/News/071301/photos/ht-sinkholes.jpg

I have one Arizona memory that stands out.

Leaving Vegas and driving towards Kingman. About 40 miles from Hoover Dam there was this general store, gas station in the absolute middle of nowhere. Seriously you could see for miles and there was nothing.

Walk in there were 3 people at the bar. There were no cars parked there, no houses where on earth did they come from?

MarySwiss
09-25-2006, 05:23 PM
There are plenty of teams in the Tampa/St. Pete area and Orlando isn't that far away (~90 minutes) which blows up the bus theory for that area.

Grapefruit League Map (http://www.tickco.com/spring-training/grapefruit-league-stadiums.htm)

I personally prefer the Gulf Coast. Arizona is boring...more to do in Florida and IMO, is cheaper for travel.

I didn't say no teams were close; Fenway did. I have no idea where anything is in Florida in relation to anything else and don't plan to ever find out. I personally find Arizona anything but boring, but to each his--or her--own.

Probably is generally cheaper to travel there, though.

Chicken Dinner
09-25-2006, 05:24 PM

Leaving Vegas and driving towards Kingman. About 40 miles from Hoover Dam there was this general store, gas station in the absolute middle of nowhere. Seriously you could see for miles and there was nothing.

Walk in there were 3 people at the bar. There were no cars parked there, no houses where on earth did they come from?

Florida or Jericho

MarySwiss
09-25-2006, 05:27 PM
There are sinkholes in Florida that rival the Grand Canyon

http://www.sptimes.com/News/071301/photos/ht-sinkholes.jpg

Yeah, the drive to L.A. on I-10 is kind of like that, too. Once you get past Quartzsite, it's pretty much desert for a long stretch. However, I actually like driving through the desert and seeing no homes or cars. I think it's very soothing.

I remember when we moved here; a friend warned us to make sure we had a full tank of gas when we hit New Mexico because you couldn't take gas stations for granted. Boy, was he ever right!

Re the people at the bar; maybe they own the place?

Palehose13
09-25-2006, 05:27 PM
I didn't say no teams were close; Fenway did. I have no idea where anything is in Florida in relation to anything else and don't plan to ever find out. I personally find Arizona anything but boring, but to each his--or her--own.

Probably is generally cheaper to travel there, though.

Well hell, how can you pass judgement if you've never been?

I personally love the sunsets on the beach, fresh seafood, waverunning with dolphins, Busch Gardens, driving the Jeep on the Beach, sailing on the gulf, etc... :cool:

So, Spring training in 1993 in Sarasota was a great time for me. I was very disappointed when the Sox moved to the Cactus league.

Lip Man 1
09-25-2006, 05:37 PM
Training in Arizona because of the light air and high altitude makes it very difficult to evaluate pitchers. It's tough to get breaking balls to break the way they do under more normal conditions, and as stated it makes it tough on a staff to say who can or can not pitch.

Florida gives a truer indication of what's going to happen when you head North.

The Sox should have never left Florida.

Lip

Chicken Dinner
09-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Training in Arizona because of the light air and high altitude makes it very difficult to evaluate pitchers. It's tough to get breaking balls to break the way they do under more normal conditions, and as stated it makes it tough on a staff to say who can or can not pitch.

Lip

But what about the Rockies?? :smile: We have humidors down here.

MarySwiss
09-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Well hell, how can you pass judgement if you've never been?

I personally love the sunsets on the beach, fresh seafood, waverunning with dolphins, Busch Gardens, driving the Jeep on the Beach, sailing on the gulf, etc... :cool:

So, Spring training in 1993 in Sarasota was a great time for me. I was very disappointed when the Sox moved to the Cactus league.

Where am I passing judgment, PH? I didn't say Florida sucks; I said I find Arizona anything but boring and have no plans to travel to Florida. But hell, there are a lot of places I don't plan to travel to. I can certainly understand that you were disappointed with the team's move, but is Spring Training the only motivation you have for going to Florida? It's sure as hell not the reason I moved to Arizona. Here are just a few:

I love swimming in my own backyard pool, throwing outdoor Holiday parties in December, knowing that you can pretty much ALWAYS plan an outdoor party without worrying if the weather will be nice because it always is. Nice to live somewhere where you can go skiing in Flagstaff, and in a few hours be back sipping margaritas around the pool in shorts and a t-shirt. If you like to hike, lots of places to do that. And last time I checked, there was a gulf down here too, near Yuma. Not to mention the Colorado River, houseboating on Lake Pleasant, and if you really must have an ocean getaway weekend, in six hours time or less, you can be in San Diego or L.A. Vegas is about six hours away, too.

Nothing against Florida, but there is plenty to do in Arizona. A lot probably depends on what interests you. Driving a Jeep on a beach just doesn't really sound like all that much fun to me, nor does waverunning with dolphins. OTOH, backyard Holiday parties might not do it for you.

Ol' No. 2
09-25-2006, 05:50 PM

Walk in there were 3 people at the bar. There were no cars parked there, no houses where on earth did they come from?My guess: They were born there.

Gavin
09-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Florida's transportation options >> Arizona's transportation options

Having more airports is nice.

Mr.1Dog
09-25-2006, 05:54 PM
Nothing against Florida, but there is plenty to do in Arizona. A lot probably depends on what interests you. Driving a Jeep on a beach just doesn't really sound like all that much fun to me, nor does waverunning with dolphins. OTOH, backyard Holiday parties might not do it for you.

But taking that Jeep tour in Sedona sure as hell is. Talk about a breath taking place.:cool:

Chicken Dinner
09-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Florida's transportation options >> Arizona's transportation options

Having more airports is nice.

Ahhh, but the airports that we do have aren't full of New Yorkers and Bostonians. :D:

MarySwiss
09-25-2006, 06:05 PM
But taking that Jeep tour in Sedona sure as hell is. Talk about a breath taking place.:cool:
Good point. Gotta love those red rocks.

MarySwiss
09-25-2006, 06:06 PM
Ahhh, but the airports that we do have aren't full of New Yorkers and Bostonians. :D:
Besides, you just might overhear Kenny Williams discussing a major trade on his cell near the Sky Harbor baggage claim!

I want Mags back
09-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Arizona is better because of the location of the teams. You have 9 teams that are less than an hour from each other (at the most) and 3 more teams that are about 2 hours away. Florida has way more distance between teams which is more bus time.

right on. there isnt a better answer than that one

it would be nie if the Sox did play int he valley area instead of Tucson though

Fenway
09-25-2006, 06:09 PM

unless we flying America West :tongue:

somehow to go from Boston to Denver they route you through Phoenix

MarySwiss
09-25-2006, 06:11 PM
right on. there isnt a better answer than that one

it would be nie if the Sox did play int he valley area instead of Tucson though

Could happen. There are a couple of West Valley cities that are interested in wooing teams.

And although it's still really, really early, there is reportedly a plan being floated by the mayor of Chandler to partner with the Gila River Tribe to create an entertainment complex in SW Chandler that may include a Cactus League stadium.
For obvious reasons, I'd be very into that!!:D:

SoxFan76
09-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Florida = Southern Illinois. It's just all the old retired people from Chicago. My grandparents moved down there 14 years ago and they knew half their neighborhood.The places I've been to look like where I live now but with stucco and palm trees instead of maples and aluminum siding.

Plus I hate the ocean.

Steelrod
09-25-2006, 10:29 PM

Hurricanes are blowing them clear across the country!

Steelrod
09-25-2006, 10:32 PM

The Sox should have never left Florida.

Lip
FWIW. The White Sox never trained in Florida and then went on to win a World Series!

LuvSox
09-25-2006, 10:33 PM
My vote goes to FLA.

I've had some great memories on the Gulf Coast, the best being ST '94.

Martinigirl
09-25-2006, 11:50 PM
Take it one step further do you think the White Sox are better off in Tuscon than Sarasota?

I personally wish they were still in Florida, since my family has a condo down there and I could go see spring training. But from a less selfish point of view, I just think there are more things to do in Florida than Arizona. You may want to see spring training, but if you want to do anything else on your trip, besides golf, Florida has more options.

gbergman
09-26-2006, 01:07 AM
Arizona is close to the Great State Of California.

goofymsfan
09-26-2006, 07:08 AM
The closeness of teams in AZ also allow for teams to "throw" together B games when players need more work.

ewokpelts
09-26-2006, 09:32 AM
And there'll be less teams in Florida soon.
Las Vegas is making a BIG push to get teams to train in the greater LV area.
I read an interview with the mayor, and he said they;d only need 4 teams to create a decent schedule for the teams. And they do have that little "gambling" thing in Nevada. That MIGHT draw a few extra tourists.
I know I'd go to vegas for spiring training. even if the sox didnt go there.
Gene

Palehose13
09-26-2006, 10:48 AM
The closeness of teams in AZ also allow for teams to "throw" together B games when players need more work.

I don't get that argument. When looking at the Grapefruit league map that I provided earlier, teams 1-6 are all withing 30-40 minutes of each other.

Chicken Dinner
09-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Kenny Williams, Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko, and the big one, Jerry Reinsdorf live in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. The Sox would like to move to the Phoenix area but need someone to take the lease on the Tucson facility.
They won't be returning to Florida anytime soon.

Palehose13
09-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Kenny Williams, Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko, and the big one, Jerry Reinsdorf live in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. The Sox would like to move to the Phoenix area but need someone to take the lease on the Tucson facility.
They won't be returning to Florida anytime soon.

Well this seems like the most reasonable explanation.

I want Mags back
09-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Well this seems like the most reasonable explanation.

and that florida sucks