PDA

View Full Version : Pitching Matchups - Sox-Cle & KC-MN

nysox35
09-25-2006, 02:07 PM
For those of you who are still hanging by a thread, I thought I'd lay out the matchups.

Sox-Cle
1. Garland-Lee
2. Vazquez-Sabathia
3. McCarthy-Carmona

The key game here appears to be #2. I like our chances in Games 1 and 3. CC has always given us trouble. Further, which Javy shows up? If we win game 2, a sweep is possible.

KC-MN
1. De La Rosa-Bonser
2. Perez-Santana
3. Hudson-Silva
4. Redman-Baker

Here, the key game is probably tonight. Bonser has been good lately, but he's certainly not Santana or Liriano. Can De La Rosa pitch a decent game?
Obviously we expect MN to win Game 2 with Cy Santana throwing.
Hudson and Silva are both terrible, but KC could win a slugfest. Baker has been pretty bad, I actually like KC in game 4 with Redman.

Of course I have taken a favorable look at both series, but looking at it this way, our hopes may come down to 2 games: Our Tuesday night game and MN-KC tonight.

Time will tell.

Jerko
09-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Hudson and Silva both made us look like **** this year. I say Sox take 1 of 3 in Cle, Minny takes 3 of 4 from KC. :o:

Scottiehaswheels
09-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Hudson and Silva both made us look like **** this year. I say Sox take 1 of 3 in Cle, Minny takes 3 of 4 from KC. :o:But they lose that one game tonight to get our hopes up... :angry:

nysox35
09-25-2006, 02:24 PM
But they lose that one game tonight to get our hopes up... :angry:

Good! I just want to stay in this thing and see how long we can keep it going.
You never know...

Scottiehaswheels
09-25-2006, 02:31 PM
Good! I just want to stay in this thing and see how long we can keep it going.
You never know...
Sorry... they gave up when they still had a chance... I love the Sox and I'm the farthest thing from a dark cloud but if they had shown some effort in the past couple weeks other than ****ting all over themselves I would be right there with you...

Myrtle72
09-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the matchups, I know everyone probably thinks I'm crazy, but I'm still hanging on by a thread and I'm quite happy to be doing so. :smile:

nysox35
09-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the matchups, I know everyone probably thinks I'm crazy, but I'm still hanging on by a thread and I'm quite happy to be doing so. :smile:

haha, no problem Myrtle.
Like many here, after certain losses and defecits, I've thought, "well, that's it." But each time I've done that, I suddenly finding myself trying to figure out what scenarios are possible for us.
This one is our final scenario. It's very clear cut now.

Go Sox!!! :smile:

palehozenychicty
09-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Sorry... they gave up when they still had a chance... I love the Sox and I'm the farthest thing from a dark cloud but if they had shown some effort in the past couple weeks other than ****ting all over themselves I would be right there with you...

Exactly. They had opportunity after opportunity to take advantage of the Tigers, especially, when they were slumping and didn't do it. The games that they gave away in Oakland broke the team's back. Period.

Myrtle72
09-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Exactly. They had opportunity after opportunity to take advantage of the Tigers, especially, when they were slumping and didn't do it. The games that they gave away in Oakland broke the team's back. Period.

I agree with you, they definiately gave up when they had the chance and made it nearly impossible to reach the playoffs at this point. But that doesn't change the fact that it IS still possible based on this scenario, regardless of how the did over the last few weeks.

I'm not looking at the past right now, I'm just taking it day by day and hoping that they can make something out of (almost) nothing. :cool:

stl_sox_fan
09-25-2006, 03:12 PM
The Sox have been the epitomy of Jason Voorhees, Freddy Kruger and Michael Myers all rolled up as of late. They get sliced, diced, blown up, drowned, dismembered, etc. but somehow seem to get back up(or maybe it's just the teams they are chasing keep stumbling like damsels in distress).
Until Minnesota's Magic Number is zero, they still got a chance, slim as it is.

ajismyhero
09-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the match-ups! It's not looking good, but it's not impossible, and I'm all about going out in style!

southside rocks
09-25-2006, 04:08 PM

I don't think they gave up. And I think it's maligning a bunch of good ballplayers to say that they did.

Someone -- I can't remember who, it might have been Bill Melton -- said that the Sox players just finally realized, a couple of weeks ago, that they weren't realistically going to make it. And that realization is very demoralizing, and that was reflected in their play.

Let's face it: there's been very little "magic" in the White Sox season in 2006. In that respect, it's been NOTHING like last year. So when the numbers are ugly in early September, the team doesn't have a lead to fall back on, and it doesn't have the 'we can do it, nothing can stop us' attitude to fall back on.

They're not dumb. If WE know that the pitching has been sucky this year, how much better do THEY know it. They're professionals. And no, they didn't quit. They were sucker-punched by reality and they're just now getting up off the floor. C'est la vie. It's not their year.

But no one should ever call them quitters. :angry:

credefan24
09-25-2006, 04:11 PM
But no one should ever call them quitters. :angry:

Here, here. Right On.

bnlfanmatt
09-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Agreed. Although it's likely they won't make the playoffs, I hold out hope until the Twin clinch. And if, by some miracle of miracles, they don't do it by Saturday, I'll be up at that dump Sunday for my support for the Sox for a one-game playoff for the playoffs.

jacobwalls
09-25-2006, 05:34 PM
We just have to take it one game at a time. MLB teams play each other because there is a chance the other will win.. So who knows, I think we will be in better shape then we were today after tonight.