PDA

View Full Version : Big Frank the greatest hitter of last 50 years?

hold2dibber
09-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Good article (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=behrens/060925) on Frank on espn.com regarding his rightful place among the best hitters ever. I'm hoping that his big '06 campaign reminds people about the magnitude of the numbers this guy has put up over thecourse of his career.

Corlose 15
09-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Talking about how he's the best hitter of his generation. And of course they take some shots at the White Sox.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=behrens/060925&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1

TDog
09-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Good article (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=behrens/060925) on Frank on espn.com regarding his rightful place among the best hitters ever. I'm hoping that his big '06 campaign reminds people about the magnitude of the numbers this guy has put up over thecourse of his career.

Now that Thomas doesn't play for the White Sox, it is politically correct to consider him a great hitter.

ZachAL
09-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Just finished it. Glad to see the big man getting some well deserved respect. It is long overdue.

Flight #24
09-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Outstanding. Should be required reading for Sox fans and BBWAA writers.

I cannot recommend strongly enough that everyone read this. It's nice to see the big man finally getting his due.

davenicholson
09-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Now that Thomas doesn't play for the White Sox, it is politically correct to consider him a great hitter.
TDog:

I've noticed that, too. It is truly amazing, but apparently true.

SOXintheBURGH
09-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Great article... even if Frank is a FOBB now. :redneck

Its not getting any easier to see him in a green uniform but I am really happy for him.. he will always go down as the best hitter I ever saw in my lifetime.

soxfanatlanta
09-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Too bad this is on Page 2, it should be a headliner. I still feel a twinge of sadness whenever I think about what he would have hit in a full '94 season, and when I see him in green.

MadetoOrta
09-25-2006, 01:58 PM
First ballot HOF as a member of the CHICAGO WHITE SOX. Enough said

palehozenychicty
09-25-2006, 02:00 PM

If that isn't proof of the disdain for the White Sox, nothing is...

Iwritecode
09-25-2006, 02:34 PM
The guy almost seems to imply that had the Sox kept Thomas around, they'd be better off. The only way that would happen would be if Thomas learned how to pitch...

The guy should be talking about how KW finally got him out of Chicago (a place the national media seems to forget about) and onto a team that can finally let the world see what Sox fans have known for years.

Had KW kept Frank around, this article would've never been written and Frank would've been playing golf along with the rest of his teammates in October...

I want Mags back
09-25-2006, 02:39 PM
If that isn't proof of the disdain for the White Sox, nothing is...

yep

BigPapaPump
09-25-2006, 02:58 PM
I was pretty sure Big Frank would be done this season and that the Sox made the right choice in Thome. I like Thome, but I can't love the guy like Thomas. I grew up watching the big guy swing on the south side and it pains me to see him do the same thing for the A's. Last year, if I remember correctly, Frank was pretty quiet and a pretty good club house guy even on the DL, things only turned ****ty when the Sox bought out his contract and sent him packing. I know it will never happen, but it would be nice to see the Sox bite the bullet and find some way of bringing him back to finish off his career.

IlliniSox4Life
09-25-2006, 04:07 PM
I really like how they brought up that his best years were overshadowed by Jordan. I'd never really thought about it.

faneidde
09-25-2006, 04:33 PM
Great article about the reason I became a Sox fan growing up in Chicago instead of a Cub fan. I still remember the Thanksgiving night I sat up until the wee hours of the morning arguing with a buddy and his uncle about who was a better hitter, Frank Thomas or Pete Rose.

Hopefully Frank can win a World Series with the A's this year. At least he gives me a reason to watch the Sox free postseason this year.

fquaye149
09-25-2006, 06:04 PM
God I love Frank.

I haven't cried in about 5 years, but that article brought a tear to my eye.

What a great hitter, what a sensational hitter. Without Frank, who knows where the White Sox would have been throughout the '90's and early '00's

FJA
09-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Great article. I don't think it's anti-Sox bias that Frank is being recognized now. He was universally recognized as one of the great hitters before the '94 strike. Not long after the strike, however, everyone sort of went crazy for frauds like Sosa, McGwire, and Bonds, and Frank kind of got lost in the mix, something helped along by nagging injuries.

Now that the frauds have been exposed and Frank is having the kind of year that very few people expected he was still capable of having (not because of diminished skills, but rather because of injuries), it's a particularly good story. You have to look at the context. As Sosa, McGwire, and Bonds (and others) continue their falls from grace, Frank is kind of the surprise hero and the ex post facto bright spot of the last 16 years of baseball. Considering the players who overshadowed him throughout the second half of the '90s and early 2000s, and the crap he's had to take from most of the Chicago media, you'd have to have a cold, cold heart not to feel happy for Frank. And that should be true of more than just White Sox fans.

I always knew he would eventually be appreciated for the great hitter he is; I'm just surprised - and very glad - that it's happened while he's still playing.

FireMariotti
09-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Reading that article brought back so many of my earliest memories as a Sox fan. I'll never forget those 93-94 years, my uncle taking me to new Comiskey for countless games. I had to be six years old, and the only moments I can remember from those games are Frank's at bats. He seemed to hammer one out of the park every time I watched him. The only thing I'd ask my uncle during the game is "When is Frank up again?" Frank is the reason I am a Sox fan today. Now that hes out of Chicago, I think most true Sox fans are starting to realize what everybody on this board already knows, we will never see another hitter like Thomas in our lifetime. He is argueably the greatest right handed hitter ever, not just in this era, not by excluding steroids, EVER.

Frankfan4life
09-25-2006, 08:56 PM
I try to avoid Frank Thomas threads because they generally make me feel sad and this one only makes me sadder that Big Frank is gone. Even though Kenny helped bring us a World Series Championship last year, I really think getting rid of Frank may have cost us one this year. I wish Frank well but I'm almost afraid that if he wins a WS with Oakland, he'll probably cherish it more than the one he won in Chicago simply because he didn't take part in that one. I know it won't happen, but I'd like to see Frank end his career in a Sox uni. Other than that I just want to see Frank in the HOF as a White Sox.

Go Big Hurt!!!

FarWestChicago
09-25-2006, 09:01 PM
I try to avoid Frank Thomas threads because they generally make me feel sad and this one only makes me sadder that Big Frank is gone. Even though Kenny helped bring us a World Series Championship last year, I really think getting rid of Frank may have cost us one this year. I wish Frank well but I'm almost afraid that if he wins a WS with Oakland, he'll probably cherish it more than the one he won in Chicago simply because he didn't take part in that one. I know it won't happen, but I'd like to see Frank end his career in a Sox uni. Other than that I just want to see Frank in the HOF as a White Sox.

Go Big Hurt!!!Oh relax. He's not going to win a WS with the FOBB's. They will go out in the first round like they always do. Don't buy into the cult bull****.

:fobbgod:

What cult bull****? I am the Alpha and Omega!!

palehozenychicty
09-25-2006, 09:04 PM
Oh relax. He's not going to win a WS with the FOBB's. They will go out in the first round like they always do. Don't buy into the cult bull****.

What cult bull****? I am the Alpha and Omega!!

Exactly. Anyone who thinks that the FOBB will win is crazy.

The postseason is a total crapshoot! It's up to the players!

Flight #24
09-25-2006, 09:04 PM
I gotta say that as much as I find Beane distasteful, I love Frank more. I'll be rooting for the big guy to be WS MVP even thought it'll mean Beane gets his ring.

Now excuse me while I go wash.

FarWestChicago
09-25-2006, 09:08 PM
I gotta say that as much as I find Beane distasteful, I love Frank more. I'll be rooting for the big guy to be WS MVP even thought it'll mean Beane gets his ring.

Now excuse me while I go wash.You are now the first person to ever go on my ignore list. I usually don't add anybody because of the need to look for trolls. I can trust you aren't a troll. But, I definitely never want to see another post by your FOBB loving ass. :angry:

The Dude
09-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Hopefully Frank can win a World Series with the A's this year. At least he gives me a reason to watch the Sox free postseason this year.

***** - No chance the A's will win a damn thing.

I'm with West, **** THE A's!!

Chips
09-25-2006, 09:15 PM

I'm with the both of you too. **** the A's and **** Beane.

Frank got a ring with us, that's good enough for me. Go Yankees.

Flight #24
09-25-2006, 09:18 PM
You are now the first person to ever go on my ignore list. I usually don't add anybody because of the need to look for trolls. I can trust you aren't a troll. But, I definitely never want to see another post by your FOBB loving ass. :angry:

Then I guess you won't see this. I hate Beane, and if the Sox were in it, I'd have no problem rooting against the A's. But to me it's rooting for Frank that wins out. But do not for a second confuse that with being an FOBB.

FarWestChicago
09-25-2006, 09:21 PM

I'm with the both of you too. **** the A's and **** Beane.

Frank got a ring with us, that's good enough for me. Go Yankees.There is hope for the younger generation. :D: (Much more so than the closet FOBB's sniffing Beane's behind)

I kind of miss the days of the Russian Red Army. You could always say you would root for them against ________. :cool:

The Dude
09-25-2006, 09:26 PM
There is hope for the younger generation. :D: (Much more so than the closet FOBB's sniffing Beane's behind)

I kind of miss the days of the Russian Red Army. You could always say you would root for them against ________. :cool:

Whenever I hear the term FOBB, it reminds me of that poster, I think he was Jeremy something from a year or two ago who always seemed to make dumbass arguments Beane style. Wow, do I miss that guy!:redneck

EDIT: found him! Jeremyb1 - How could I forget that name!:redface: And the Jeremy Reed watch in his sig! :rolling:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51221&highlight=jeremy+fobb

HotelWhiteSox
09-25-2006, 10:22 PM
http://espn.go.com/i/page2/topstory/09252006_pg2_big2.jpg

Yep, as expected/predicted when Frank officially parted ways with the Sox, he would finally start getting appreciated. Makes sense, Tribune has no reason to spin otherwise, actually in their best interest that he looks better so the Sox look worse

SoxFan76
09-25-2006, 11:25 PM
Some fans have known this for years about Frank. This really upsets me that he doesn't get the recognition he deserves until after he leaves the White Sox with two (should of been 3) MVP awards and a World Series ring.

I'm not even mad, I'm disappointed.

Sox-o-matic
09-25-2006, 11:51 PM
If the A's did get into the ALCS and played the Yankees, I wonder if the national broadcasters would have enough balls to comment on Frank getting screwed out of the MVP.

I'm guessing no, and it's a shame.

DSpivack
09-26-2006, 12:17 AM
I hate the A's, I hate the Twins, I hate the Yankees. Ugh. What a great playoffs these will be. Still, I want to see Frank do well, and I think I might have to root for the Tigers. :(:

TDog
09-26-2006, 12:41 AM
TDog:

I've noticed that, too. It is truly amazing, but apparently true.

I used to work for an A's fan who thought Frank Thomas was the most overrated hitter in the league, believed his only accomplishment was leading the league in whining. I wonder how he feels now.

For that matter, NoCal's Contra Costa newspaper last year speculated (without any evidence) that Thomas was one of the steroids-aided sluggers. Since the summer the same newspaper has treated him like a baseball royalty.

Of course, it's hypocrisy.