PDA

View Full Version : Things I remembered that I'd forotten from yesterday's game..

tony1972
09-25-2006, 11:46 AM
I went to the game Sunday and strangely enough, it was one of the more enjoyable games this year I have been to (not just because the Sox won)..but I guess because knowing the playoffs were pretty much done..there wasn't that tension..just actually relaxing and enjoying a day at the ballpark.

There was a standing ovation for the players and the players tipped their hats. It was a nice day in my favorite teams home (and my home away from home) in what is now a beautiful ballpark.

Some things I realized that I forgotten lately is how much I love baseball and what baseball means to me. Raising a son on my own and dealing with a parent's chonic illness the past decade - this game had always been something in my life I have looked forward too and enjoyed. Something that has helped to make the hard times in life a little easier. I don't want to lose that and let myself lose it the last few months.

What I am trying to say is..of course I am extremely disappointed to the end of this season and yes - I wanted to repeat or at least see October baseball again. But in my bitterness and anger the past few months I forgot how to enjoy something I truly love in life. I don't want that to happen again. So instead of being angry, sad, bitter and disappointed yesterday, I made Sunday a day of enjoyment for my son and I (as life should be)..

I am not Mr. Sunshine by any means..but just let go of a little of the bitterness, disppointment and anger you may have and remember this game is for enjoyment, a time from your problems, something in your life you love. Don't ever let it become something you hate..you only live once..

Hope I see all of you in 2007 at the ballpark and remember as always..

GO SOX !!!

my5thbench
09-25-2006, 11:51 AM
very nicely said Tony... hope you both enjoy as much as I do with my son & both of my girls

Cat Thief
09-25-2006, 02:31 PM
What I am trying to say is..of course I am extremely disappointed to the end of this season and yes - I wanted to repeat or at least see October baseball again. But in my bitterness and anger the past few months I forgot how to enjoy something I truly love in life. I don't want that to happen again. So instead of being angry, sad, bitter and disappointed yesterday, I made Sunday a day of enjoyment for my son and I (as life should be)..

I am not Mr. Sunshine by any means..but just let go of a little of the bitterness, disppointment and anger you may have and remember this game is for enjoyment, a time from your problems, something in your life you love. Don't ever let it become something you hate..you only live once..

GO SOX !!!

Nicely said indeed. I took this season way too seriously. The past couple of months have been such a grind I need to get back in pre-2005 mode for next year.

pearso66
09-25-2006, 08:01 PM
I went to the game Sunday and strangely enough, it was one of the more enjoyable games this year I have been to (not just because the Sox won)..but I guess because knowing the playoffs were pretty much done..there wasn't that tension..just actually relaxing and enjoying a day at the ballpark.

There was a standing ovation for the players and the players tipped their hats. It was a nice day in my favorite teams home (and my home away from home) in what is now a beautiful ballpark.

Some things I realized that I forgotten lately is how much I love baseball and what baseball means to me. Raising a son on my own and dealing with a parent's chonic illness the past decade - this game had always been something in my life I have looked forward too and enjoyed. Something that has helped to make the hard times in life a little easier. I don't want to lose that and let myself lose it the last few months.

GO SOX !!!

Great post. I know what you are saying, the past few weeks I didn't want anythign to do with baseball. I was so sick of how the Sox were playing, and I couldn't take it anymore. I even didn't want to go to this weekends games. But after going to the game Saturday I was indifferent, but yesterday was the icing on the cake. I loved the game, had a ton of fun, and after the game I was actually saddened that the season was over. I spent so much time at the ballpark this season, that it will be weird that I won't be going back for a while. I'm going to miss it, no matter how much I dreaded going the last month or so of the season.

Frankfan4life
09-25-2006, 08:37 PM
Thank you for reminding us why we watch this game. I think baseball is the best sport in the world. I'm a Sox fan and always will be. Hope, joy disappointment and sadness are simply a part of that package.

roylestillman
09-25-2006, 08:56 PM
Absolutely right, Tony. Pitchers and catchers report in about 149 days. I hope you and your son spend the winter counting the days until it all starts again.

esbrechtel
09-25-2006, 09:29 PM
i know exactly how you feel i was at the game with my mom and i also enjoyed a game for the first time in a long time....ive always been so nervous but sitting out under the blue sky with a few clouds, a nice calm breeze, and the sound of nancy playin "build me up buttercup" and watchin the sox i realized theres more to the game that i love to watch, cant wait until spring training!

sox_fan_forever
09-25-2006, 09:38 PM
What a great post. I realized the same thing a few days ago. I love baseball too much to let it get to me to the point of anger or depression. I am already ready for pitchers and catchers to report.

Lip Man 1
09-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Sox fan:

I'm ready for them to report as well only not EXACTLY the same group that's been on the field the past two weeks or in the bullpen.

Lip

Frontman
09-26-2006, 07:45 AM
Not only on Sunday, but the season as a whole. While I said not to let go of last year, as we were defending World Champions this year, that chapter of White Sox baseball ended last night. The story isn't over by a long shot. The Sox will always be now known as the "2005 World Champions;" or until they win another title, which I feel is not that far off.

We saw some incredible baseball (triple plays, Iguchi going all "Matrix" on us, Crede's hackysack play.) The whole Ozzie/Marriotti thing. (Which I enjoyed seeing how the media pretty much talked around it. "Jay has a way of bringing out the worst in people, but Ozzie shouldn't of..." made me smile. Seeing AJ get other teams worked up enough to bean him. Thome's first homer in a Sox uniform through the rain. Dye's homer up to the Fundamentals deck. We saw back to back homers. We welcomed Dustin Hermanson back to the team. Sure, we had some depressing moments, but even then, we still had fun.

Baseball is meant to be a distraction from the stress and pressure of life. I think Sox fans will enjoy 2007 far more than we did 2006, as the stress of "We HAVE to get back. We HAVE to defend" I think took some enjoyment away from the season of us.

I just hope we don't loose some of the fun we picked up in 2005 in getting back into contention in 2007. (Namely "Go-Go White Sox." I love that tune.)

Now is that 149 days, or 148? :D:

Front

esbrechtel
09-26-2006, 07:59 AM
good post front

Thome25
09-26-2006, 09:01 AM
Everyone should stop and read this thread. We all lost focus on what baseball is all about--fun.

The last 5-6 months have been filled with such anger and tension that I too lost sight of why I love the game.

I am disappointed that we missed the playoffs. But, it's a relief in a way that the agony of this season is over.

I'm not so tense about every game, trying to find out what the score was, and getting so angry when I found out the outcome wasn't what I wanted it to be.

I'm definitely going into next season with a more positive, laid back approach. I'm going to remember that baseball was always there for me to lean on when life got rough.

This season was the opposite. THANKS TONY!!

Frontman
09-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Thank you for reminding us why we watch this game. I think baseball is the best sport in the world. I'm a Sox fan and always will be. Hope, joy disappointment and sadness are simply a part of that package.

The only thing I can say to this is that I love Sox baseball. I can't watch other teams that much, as its not a sport with a lot of action. I can watch basketball and especially football and not care who is actually playing.

But the nice thing about baseball is that its relaxing to watch. Its warm summer evenings, its a neighborhood all cheering. That was one of the most incredible things last post-season. I live in an apartment neighborhood in Orland, and to hear the neighbors cheering/groaning with each play, it reminded me of when I grew up in Bridgeport. You always knew how the Sox were doing from the sounds coming from everyone's house.

I totally agree this thread should be nominated as a top-tier "must read." Glad to see some fun talk about Sox baseball, without the woulda-coulda-shoulda stuff.

Front

Mohoney
09-26-2006, 06:06 PM
I went to the game Friday with my buddy who got married Saturday, and since I knew it would be my last hurrah this year, I was certain to pick up the following:

One last Steak Pita w/ everything
One last Brat w/ mustard, grilled onions, & sauerkraut
One last Polish w/ mustard & grilled onions
One last Italian w/ marinara, green peppers, & grilled onions
One last Kosher Dog w/ mustard & grilled onions
One last chocolate churro
Two of those collector Pepsi cups w/ the sweet holograms
One last Mai Tai
One last Strawberry Margarita
One last Vodka Lemonade
One last PBR

The above list is what I truly enjoy about a crisp fall Friday night taking in a Sox game. The smell of onions caramellizing on the concourse grills, the smell of funnel cakes fresh out of the deep fryer, and most importantly, the look on the groom-to-be's face after he has been crop dusted by the worst beer fart in history.

No other sport can truly capture the magic of baseball.

StillMissOzzie
09-26-2006, 06:37 PM
I went to the game Friday with my buddy who got married Saturday, and since I knew it would be my last hurrah this year, I was certain to pick up the following:

One last Mai Tai
One last Vodka Lemonade
One last PBR

The above list is what I truly enjoy about a crisp fall Friday night taking in a Sox game. The smell of onions caramellizing on the concourse grills, the smell of funnel cakes fresh out of the deep fryer, and most importantly, the look on the groom-to-be's face after he has been crop dusted by the worst beer fart in history.

And one Mylanta?
Not sure what the blue part has to do with baseball, though...

SMO
:rolleyes:

Frontman
09-27-2006, 10:31 PM

One last Mai Tai
One last Vodka Lemonade
One last PBR

Sweet cream on an icecream sandwich! And here my wife and I thought we abused our stomachs Sunday! (Hmmmmmmmmmm brats with onions, funnel cake. Wait, let's not bring back the heartburn nightmares.)

It was a fun weekend. Let's go rally behind the Bears, and dream of White Sox winners in 2007!

Front

Myrtle72
09-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Sweet cream on an icecream sandwich! And here my wife and I thought we abused our stomachs Sunday! (Hmmmmmmmmmm brats with onions, funnel cake. Wait, let's not bring back the heartburn nightmares.)

It was a fun weekend. Let's go rally behind the Bears, and dream of White Sox winners in 2007!

Front

Mmm... you guys are making me hungry.