PDA

View Full Version : Is Cotts going to be shut down too?

caulfield12
09-24-2006, 04:38 PM
That's 12 homers in 54 2/3 IP.

Only ONE last season.

Then again, he gave up 13 in around 65 IP in 2004...so maybe he really is this bad. It's gotten to Politte dimensions now.

They have nothing to lose sending him to Winter Ball and trying his hand as starter. Makes about as much sense as giving Ted Lilly $7 million per season.

Sox-o-matic
09-24-2006, 05:28 PM
I hope so.

Lip Man 1
09-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Cotts is going to head into spring training with a boat load of questions on his back. I anticipate Thornton as the #1 left hander going in and I don't think Kenny is going to 'gamble' on not getting a solid #2. (Boone Logan need not apply...)

That means Neal is #3 with a bullet. And the gun is pointed to Charlotte, North Carolina.

Lip

Patrick134
09-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Cotts is going to head into spring training with a boat load of questions on his back. I anticipate Thornton as the #1 left hander going in and I don't think Kenny is going to 'gamble' on not getting a solid #2. (Boone Logan need not apply...)

That means Neal is #3 with a bullet. And the gun is pointed to Charlotte, North Carolina.

Lip

Cotts did so well in last years playoffs, that it was sad to see him take 12 steps back this season.

caulfield12
09-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Cotts did so well in last years playoffs, that it was sad to see him take 12 steps back this season.

Maybe he'll turn out like Saberhagen and be great every other season, lol.

Sox-o-matic
09-24-2006, 06:13 PM
Maybe he'll turn out like Saberhagen and be great every other season, lol.

Hey, if he does great next year, raises his trade value through the roof, and then helps net us a premier player the following offseason, that will work for me.

October26
09-24-2006, 06:21 PM
I've been tough on Neal but I'm hoping this off season rejuvinates him and he comes back strong in '07. Not sure we'll get much for him in a trade during this off-season because he has been awful this year and especially this month. :(:

Frankfan4life
09-24-2006, 06:43 PM
I know one sure cure for Cotts. That is to get traded and then face the Sox. Almost a guarantee, he'll be lights out. :redneck

chisoxfanatic
09-24-2006, 07:30 PM
Neal really has to do some soul searching over the offseason and work on his pitching big time. I think he oughtta look at a ton of video over the course of this offseason to see where he went wrong and work on correcting that for next season. Kenny better have an alternate replacement for him if he doesn't look good in Tucson, or we could have a long season in 2007.

southside rocks
09-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Cotts is another mystery, along with Buehrle, and mysteries aren't good. I'd almost rather they find out that both those guys ARE hurt; at least they would know why they're so terrible, and could map out what to do about it.

I like Neal Cotts and I want to see him regain his 2005 form.

Chips
09-24-2006, 11:58 PM
Cotts can take the same train out of town that Politte did.

The Dude
09-24-2006, 11:59 PM

Hopefully he takes the red line to the Addison stop!:redneck

chisoxmike
09-25-2006, 12:00 AM
Neal can add to the Twins bullpen next year so we can kick the **** out of him.

caulfield12
09-25-2006, 12:01 AM

That's a case of premature evaluation. With lefties, you owe it to the organization to at least give him next Spring Training to work it out, while having a much better Plan B in place than what we came into Tucson with this year...

He's been bad 2 of the last 3 years, but there's no guarantee he won't be great next year, just as nobody could have predicted Hermanson and Politte would have the years they did last year, or that Takatsu would become closer after almost getting cut in Spring Training.

Domeshot17
09-25-2006, 12:05 AM
Ive always been a big niel cotts fan. Sucking or pitching lights out, the kid gives his all. I do know one thing, you have a YOUNG, CHEAP, LEFT HANDED reliever who was amazing last year and won the reliever of the year award. You dont give up on him after a bad half year of baseball. Its all mental with him. At the WCSF luncheon, Art (bullpen coach) and the rest of the guys discussed whats up with cotts and they said he is having a little bit of anxiety issues. He really wants to not suck and he is having that approach of "lets not mess up" instead of "lets do this". When you do that, you cant locate. When you cant locate, you fall behind in counts, and when you fall behind, you cant fool people with a fastball. I think you give him time.

NO WINTER BALL. Let him get his head together. Work more on mechanical drills and approach then inlue of going to winter ball and keep doing the same things wrong. When it is a mental thing, the best thing that you can do is just give it time, forget about it. Especially because all Cotts needs is a good spring training to regain that confidence. I felt bad for him in a way. Although he earned it, it cant be a good mental helper when you get Boo'd before you get to the mound, give up a few homers, then be the only player Boo'd on fan appreciation day.

Hermanson looked solid tonight. I wouldnt be suprised if he factors in to our pen next year (if his back heals).

EDIT: Also, Cotts still has trade value so you don't cut him. BUT, you also do not trade him right now, because his value is very low. You do not sell low. You HAVE to hold on to him unless hes part of a multiplayer deal. But in all honesty, to give up on a kid with this much potential would be the most moronic thing you could do. Thats why Kenny is the GM and not some of us

DumpJerry
09-25-2006, 12:08 AM
Cotts lives near my office which also happens to be near Wilkes' condo.

NEAL: PM us and we'll become drinking buddies over the winter and everything will be fine next year!

caulfield12
09-25-2006, 12:12 AM
The question with Cotts is the chicken and the egg one...is the loss of confidence causing him to aim or guide instead of throwing the ball to a location? Or does he have a physical problem? Is the mental problem the reason for his loss in velocity and snap/crispness with his pitches?

Last year, he was "sneaky" fast and could blow the ball by hitters, often up the zone or out and away from lefties. This year, he's been absolutely crushed by lefties, almost to a .500 average the last two months.

I think it's a little like his 2004 "home run" phobia...he pitched really well out of the gate, gave up a couple of late inning/tie game homers (seems like it was Oakland and Toronto, maybe TB) and that crushed his spirit the remainder of the season. I just remember Hawk hammering him for getting beat with his second and third best pitches.

Heck, some wondered if he would ever recover in 2003 after being forced to start in Anaheim and then getting crushed by the Yankees in the Stadium in one of hte lowlights of that season (the game Buehrle wanted to start to get the sweep).

Lip Man 1
09-25-2006, 01:39 PM
Hermanson's back prevents him from throwing in back to back games. Ozzie has already said that he's got to have someone he can use in those type situations.

I don't think Hermanson will be back next season.

Lip

MarySwiss
09-25-2006, 01:42 PM
Cotts is another mystery, along with Buehrle, and mysteries aren't good. I'd almost rather they find out that both those guys ARE hurt; at least they would know why they're so terrible, and could map out what to do about it.

I like Neal Cotts and I want to see him regain his 2005 form.
I've been hard on Neal too, but then I read someplace today that when he got booed yesterday, he was on the verge of tears. :(:

I hope he can get over whatever the problem is and come back strong for next year's run to the Series. :smile:

Chicken Dinner
09-25-2006, 02:52 PM
I've been hard on Neal too, but then I read someplace today that when he got booed yesterday, he was on the verge of tears. :(:

There's no crying in baseball.:smile:

BainesHOF
09-25-2006, 02:54 PM
I spoke with Hermanson Sunday and he doesn't know if he'll be back next season.

Myrtle72
09-25-2006, 03:06 PM

I hope he can get over whatever the problem is and come back strong for next year's run to the Series. :smile:

I completely agree. I have been just as dissapointed with Neal as anyone - but there is no reason to boo him.

But, I am sure that all baseball players understand how opinionated their fans can be and they need to have a little bit of a tough skin in order to rise above the jerks who believe booing is a productive and moral part of being a sports fan.

spiffie
09-25-2006, 03:09 PM
I completely agree. I have been just as dissapointed with Neal as anyone - but there is no reason to boo him.

But, I am sure that all baseball players understand how opinionated their fans can be and they need to have a little bit of a tough skin in order to rise above the jerks who believe booing is a productive and moral part of being a sports fan.
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

If I did my job anywhere near as poorly as Neal Cotts has done his all year I wouldn't have to worry about people hurting my feelings. I'd be worried about how I'm going to eat because I would be unemployed.

mccoydp
09-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Ive always been a big niel cotts fan.

Big fan? You didn't even spell his first name right! :tongue:

southside rocks
09-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Interestingly, Neal's stats for 2004 are very similar to his stats for this year.

Which makes 2005 an atypical year for him.

Which makes me wonder what he was doing last year that was different from what he did in '04 and what he did this year. I'm sure that Don Cooper's giving that some thought, too.

Cotts has tremendous potential, and I hope he can realize it and be a mainstay of the Sox bullpen in '07.

soxinem1
09-26-2006, 10:49 AM
He should be shut down for the year. I've never been particualrly fond of Cotts as a reliever, I think he should be part of the package they send to TB for Crawford, then TB will return him to being a starting pitcher.

I don't think he is as bad as Juan Agosto, but he just does not seem to have the mental toughness to deal with the up/down job of a reliever, the last half of 2005 not included.

At the same time, if he comes up big next year, we'll all be saying 'We're sure glad we stuck it out with Neal'.