PDA

View Full Version : Who are you most concerned about in the division?

twinkiesfan08
09-24-2006, 02:02 PM
Here's my question. There are a ton of good looking young players in the central division that could be very good for a very long time. Which player are you most worried about becoming an absolute superstar and dominating a la Jeter, Ortiz, Santana, etc.

Mine is Zumaya from the Tigers. Kid is a beast, hopefully he doesn't get any better.

One other question too while I'm at it. Who are the bright spots that I should be lookin for in the future from the White Sox. I don't keep much track of their farm system so I don't know who the future is for them, but I'd like to so I can start lookin for those names to start poppin up.

23Ventura
09-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Liriano and Verlander immediatly come to mind for me.

As for the Sox, Charlie Haegar is a good young knuckleballer. I think he could be doing long relief next year, and eventually become a starter. He might pitch against the Twins in the final series because Buehrle and Contreras were scratched from their starts.

Whitesox4ever
09-24-2006, 02:11 PM
The best young player in the AL Central is Francisco Liriano

For the Sox young players im looking forward to seeing Josh Fields for a full year.

caulfield12
09-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Bonderman becoming a co-ace with Verlander.

Liriano, because you know by now what you're going to get out of Santana.

Alex Gordon in KC.

SOXSINCE'70
09-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Alex Gordon in KC.

What about the one man wrecking crew named Mark Teahen??
I'm serious.No teal needed here.He hit Sox pitching very well
in 2006.

caulfield12
09-24-2006, 03:35 PM
in 2006.

There's some talk of making Teahen an outfielder, as Gordon is a much better fielder.

The problem is they now have Shealy and Sweeney for 1B/DH, and Grudzielanek for 2B.

In the outfield, you have DeJesus, Gathright, Emil Brown, Reggie Sanders...then a ton of DH/4th OF's in Shane Costa, Mitch Maier, Billy Butler, Justin Huber.

What they really need is a SS to replace Berroa.

twinkiesfan08
09-24-2006, 03:42 PM
Yeah teahen was another guy i'm lookin' at to maybe have a nice year. Josh Fields, I'll look for him when you guys come to town if he plays, see what he's got to offer. Hopefully nothing :rolleyes:

But Verlander is a man, no doubt about it. I also really hope Sizemore doesn't get any better. He could definately be a .320,30HR,125RBI guy, especially if he keeps batting third with Pronk protecting his behind.

caulfield12
09-24-2006, 03:44 PM
Yeah teahen was another guy i'm lookin' at to maybe have a nice year. Josh Fields, I'll look for him when you guys come to town if he plays, see what he's got to offer. Hopefully nothing :rolleyes:

But Verlander is a man, no doubt about it. I also really hope Sizemore doesn't get any better. He could definately be a .320,30HR,125RBI guy, especially if he keeps batting third with Pronk protecting his behind.

If Sowers can pitch like Lee in 2004, Sabathia decides he wants to compete all season (in every game)...then they have a good rotation.

With Bryd, Carmona (maybe) and Westbrook, that's a pretty good collection of arms. But that's all on paper, as the White Sox learned this season.

twinkiesfan08
09-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Twins too. Silva was supposed to be a fifteen game winner with an era around 3.50

Alas.

caulfield12
09-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Twins too. Silva was supposed to be a fifteen game winner with an era around 3.50

Alas.

I think Bonser, Garza and Baker doing what they have done has more than made up for that.

:angry: :whiner:

jamokes
09-24-2006, 04:29 PM
The Twins are simply well coached. Leyland has the Tigers attention. What ever happened to the Indians this year? The Royals need pitching.....our division will be tough next year.

caulfield12
09-24-2006, 04:35 PM
The Twins are simply well coached. Leyland has the Tigers attention. What ever happened to the Indians this year? The Royals need pitching.....our division will be tough next year.

I'm changing my answer to Pat Neshek. Geez, that guy has gotten out of some big situations this year....he's given up HR's to lefties, but he's nasty.

The Royals could be interesting.

I think they're ready to give up on Hernandez, finally.

You have Tyler Lumsden, Zach Greinke, Luke Hudson, Redman, Elarton (when his rehab is done), De La Rosa, a couple other arms they got from trades this yaer and Luke Hochevar, their #1 draft pick.

They have a legit chance to get to .500 next year with improved starting pitching, say, 0.50 per game from this year.

twinkiesfan08
09-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Yeah Neshek has been a nice little surprise, hopefully nobody ever figures that funky delivery out.

For some reason I just can't fathom the Royals being a contender, it's too far fetched... But we are going to have an incredibly difficult division next year. Wow.

Patrick134
09-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Bonderman becoming a co-ace with Verlander.

Liriano, because you know by now what you're going to get out of Santana.

Alex Gordon in KC.

Verlander got a little hot early, but he's far from ace status (yet). He has a lot to learn still.

caulfield12
09-24-2006, 04:54 PM
Yeah Neshek has been a nice little surprise, hopefully nobody ever figures that funky delivery out.

For some reason I just can't fathom the Royals being a contender, it's too far fetched... But we are going to have an incredibly difficult division next year. Wow.

It's very similar to the delivery of Shingo Takatsu.

In his second year, they figured him out and started laying off the stuff off the plate, making him throw the FB. However, Neshek throws 92-94, so he has a better opportunity to extricated himself when he gets behind.

Pretty strange, a 25 or 26 year old rookie that was such a low draft pick finally making it with the same organization that drafted him.

Patrick134
09-24-2006, 04:55 PM

Great point. Guys like Neshak do so well early, but it seems the league (usually) catches up tp them.

California Sox
09-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Not going to be a superstar, but here's my sleeper candidate:Kouzmanoff of the Tribe. Just looks like a better hitter than Marte. In the minors, everyone always falls in love with toolsy players but in the end hitting ability is the number one tool for position players.

I'm worried about the Tigers' pitching long-term. Verlander, Bonderman, Zumaya, Miller, and Humberto Sanchez can all rush it up there. They probably won't get as many broken bat run-scoring doubles next year but they have the best pitching in division.

If the Twins come up with one more right-handed bat they could be super-scary.

Tribe needs Sowers to be pre-mid-2006 Buerhle and it could happen.

McCarthy is probably the single most important player for the Sox. If he develops that would be a huge plus. As far as position players,long-term Sweeney will be a great all-around player, but in the near-term Fields will be better.

Royals need a lot of help. Godon will be great as will Butler when they clear out room for him, but they're weak on the mound and up the middle. Long way to go.

caulfield12
09-24-2006, 06:01 PM
Not going to be a superstar, but here's my sleeper candidate:Kouzmanoff of the Tribe. Just looks like a better hitter than Marte. In the minors, everyone always falls in love with toolsy players but in the end hitting ability is the number one tool for position players.

I'm worried about the Tigers' pitching long-term. Verlander, Bonderman, Zumaya, Miller, and Humberto Sanchez can all rush it up there. They probably won't get as many broken bat run-scoring doubles next year but they have the best pitching in division.

If the Twins come up with one more right-handed bat they could be super-scary.

Tribe needs Sowers to be pre-mid-2006 Buerhle and it could happen.

McCarthy is probably the single most important player for the Sox. If he develops that would be a huge plus. As far as position players,long-term Sweeney will be a great all-around player, but in the near-term Fields will be better.

Royals need a lot of help. Godon will be great as will Butler when they clear out room for him, but they're weak on the mound and up the middle. Long way to go.

I would call Grudzielanek solid, a step down or two from Iguchi. Berroa is their real problem, he's an enigma, not unlike Uribe. Most teams would take 20+ homers and 70+ RBI's from SS, combined with that defense, wouldn't they?

Going to the next level, it's got to be Garza/Bonser and Miller/Sanchez. If the first two keep pitching like this, watch out. I'm not ready to put Miller in the HOF yet, he's been very inconsistent, but he's only a couple of months out of college.

The Twins have a big decision to make on Hunter...they have about the same number of arguments for and against retaining him. It will be interesting.

I don't think Tyner can play CF for an entire season, and Kubel didn't show enough (with his knee rehab) for me to think he could play LF 140+ games, especially with half on turf.

Sox-o-matic
09-24-2006, 06:09 PM
It's very similar to the delivery of Shingo Takatsu.

In his second year, they figured him out and started laying off the stuff off the plate, making him throw the FB. However, Neshek throws 92-94, so he has a better opportunity to extricated himself when he gets behind.

Pretty strange, a 25 or 26 year old rookie that was such a low draft pick finally making it with the same organization that drafted him.

I don't remember hitters 'figuring out' anything other than figuring out not to swing at anything other than his fastball. Once he lost the zone all he had was a 2-0, 3-0, 3-1 batting practice fastball down the heart of the plate. Prior to losing command of the strikezone he was able to get ahead with the infamous 'frisbee.'

BTW, just because a guy throws a little harder doesn't mean he has any better chance of being successful. The only time I think that helps anyone is if a pitcher can't find the zone with anything else, especially in the case of a starter. How long has Mike Meyers been around the league?

October26
09-24-2006, 06:14 PM
Verlander got a little hot early, but he's far from ace status (yet). He has a lot to learn still.

Remember - The Wizard of OZ said we have "Berlander's" pitches!:cool:

Lip Man 1
09-24-2006, 08:05 PM
Considering the Sox play so many games in their own division they have GOT to start finding a way to somehow, someway, win SOME games against Santana and Sabathia.

They can not afford to keep losing four or five games a year per pitcher to those two guys.

I'd thrown in Kenny Rogers as well but 'the Gambler' has got to fold em' sooner or later (probably sooner...)

Lip

Oblong
09-24-2006, 08:08 PM
in 2006.

He seems to have hit Tiger pitching real well too. I haven't looked it up but the games I've seen with KC he's gotten some dingers and base hits.

Grzegorz
09-24-2006, 08:10 PM
I see the Cleveland Indians rebounding in 2007.

I also agree that the White Sox have to figure out a way to beat CC Sabathia and Johan Santana in 2007.