PDA

View Full Version : So were playoff tickets refundable ?

OzzyTrain
09-24-2006, 02:50 AM
I had a guy at the game trying to tell me they were, and that you could get your money back instead of season tickets next year

SOXandILLINI
09-24-2006, 08:38 AM
I had a guy at the game trying to tell me they were, and that you could get your money back instead of season tickets next year
yes they were, why do you think i've been complaining about it. it is my contention the the powers that be, are taking FULL advantage of last years success at the expense of their base, i.e. this policy and the sox fest crapola, this doesn't thrill me. but, i'll still go nose to nose with any cub fan that wants to engage me about our respective allegiances.

jenn2080
09-24-2006, 08:56 AM

If you had season tickets this season a letter should have went out explaining all of this. You can get your money back instead of your season tickets.

SOXandILLINI
09-24-2006, 09:06 AM
perhaps i was misreading your question, i'm not sure... the policy is you can get your money back, if you want to give up your tickets for next year. the policy used to be you could roll the money into next years tix, or you could get your money back, without losing you seat location... sorry if vague.

southside rocks
09-24-2006, 09:14 AM
If you had season tickets this season a letter should have went out explaining all of this. You can get your money back instead of your season tickets.

That doesn't mean that you can't get season tickets next year, just that you have to go on the waiting list and will almost certainly get worse seats than the ones you have now.

So if you want a refund, you can have one but that means you get taken off your season seats and have to re-apply for season tickets as a new customer.

That's how I understood it.

Fenway
09-24-2006, 03:46 PM
Even the Red Sox wouldn't pull a stunt like that ( playoff tickets are refundable )

But fans were not happy at how the invoices were done either

The invoices demanded payment for three divisional series games, four American League championship showdowns and four World Series homegames. The parking tab for 11 games was also due. No credit cards or personal checks accepted.
But what really stuck in the superfans’ craw is that the bills arrived after Theo & Company sent perenially po’d pitcher David Wells (http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?keyword=David+Wells&searchSite=recent) to the Padres - thus signaling that management was throwing in the towel on the post-season

http://thetrack.bostonherald.com/moreTrack/view.bg?articleid=158685

caulfield12
09-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Even the Red Sox wouldn't pull a stunt like that ( playoff tickets are refundable )

The invoices demanded payment for three divisional series games, four American League championship showdowns and four World Series homegames. The parking tab for 11 games was also due. No credit cards or personal checks accepted.
But what really stuck in the superfans’ craw is that the bills arrived after Theo & Company sent perenially po’d pitcher David Wells (http://news.bostonherald.com/search/?keyword=David+Wells&searchSite=recent) to the Padres - thus signaling that management was throwing in the towel on the post-season

http://thetrack.bostonherald.com/moreTrack/view.bg?articleid=158685

So you had to use cash or a cashier's check?

How can they not allow credit cards or checks?

SouthSide_HitMen
09-24-2006, 06:24 PM

“Why would I want to let the Red Sox hold onto that money for so long and collect interest on it,” said one ticket holder. “Why? So they can use the money to buy more property around Fenway? Or not pay Johnny Damon or Bronson Arroyo?”

I agree Fenway. I've owned White Sox season tickets at the old ballpark and season tickets for other sports. I've never seen the playoffs / next seasons tickets as one transaction.

I would have rather had the option to decide by November 1 whether or not to renew my full season ticket plan or to perhaps select a 27 game plan instead.

Another Red Sox ticket article (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/08/31/sox_tickets_suddenly_theyre_not_so_hot/):

In a letter mailed recently by the Red Sox, season-ticket holders were offered ``warm greetings as we drive through the `dog days' of August and plunge into the pennant chase in September." Later in the letter, the Sox wrote that ``the return of Curt Schilling and the reliability of other veterans such as Manny Ramirez, Trot Nixon, Tim Wakefield, Mike Timlin, Jason Varitek, and Doug Mirabelli have been gratifying."

For fans not paying attention, Nixon, Wakefield, and Varitek have been on the disabled list for weeks. Ramirez has leg injuries that have kept him out of the lineup for much of the West Coast trip that ended yesterday.

Touching me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YynfrH5GHlw), touching you

Sweet Caroline, good times never seem so good (so good so good so good)
I've been inclined (oh oh oh), to believe it never would.

SSHM note - It is fun in person - I've enjoyed it going to games there since they started it in the late 1990s. It sure beats Thunderstruck (which needs to be retired).

TDog
09-24-2006, 06:50 PM
That doesn't mean that you can't get season tickets next year, just that you have to go on the waiting list and will almost certainly get worse seats than the ones you have now.

So if you want a refund, you can have one but that means you get taken off your season seats and have to re-apply for season tickets as a new customer.

That's how I understood it.

I don't see how that is a problem. If I don't plan to renew my season tickets, I get my money back. If I do, I've made a down payment on next year's season tickets. I can think of far greater atrocities to complain about.

Fenway
09-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Touching me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YynfrH5GHlw), touching you

Sweet Caroline, good times never seem so good (so good so good so good)
I've been inclined (oh oh oh), to believe it never would.

SSHM note - It is fun in person - I've enjoyed it going to games there since they started it in the late 1990s. It sure beats Thunderstruck (which needs to be retired).

for SSHM
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4930465
Morning Edition (http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=3), September 30, 2005 · As a stadium anthem, it's not exactly "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." Susan Orlean visits Boston's Fenway Park to unlock the secret connection between the Red Sox, their loyal fans and singer Neil Diamond's 1969 hit.

My season ticket contract says I have the right to buy post season tickets if offered and since I have "Plan N" I get my seats....

The seats have been in my family since 1968 and until 10 years ago when the bill came it wasn't that much of a strain on the budget, but I have seen my seat in 10 years go from $16 to $80 ( season ticket discount )

The Bruins have the best playoff ticket system for fans that I know off. You get charged for the first 2 games of the strip when you buy the playoff tickets and then they don't charge you UNTIL they know the tickets can be used at a game. In other words you get the entire strip but only pay for 2 games up front so there are no refund hassels since they don't charge you until that ticket becomes valid for a game.

OzzyTrain
09-24-2006, 06:56 PM
perhaps i was misreading your question, i'm not sure... the policy is you can get your money back, if you want to give up your tickets for next year. the policy used to be you could roll the money into next years tix, or you could get your money back, without losing you seat location... sorry if vague.

I uunderstand what you mean I think but that last line is confusing.

You could get your money back with out losing your seat location, you mean get your playoff money back, then have the option to buy the seats for the season ?

This year if you did not check the box for applying money towards season ticket location, you loose the seats right ?

SouthSide_HitMen
09-24-2006, 07:37 PM
for SSHM
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4930465
Morning Edition (http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=3), September 30, 2005 · As a stadium anthem, it's not exactly "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." Susan Orlean visits Boston's Fenway Park to unlock the secret connection between the Red Sox, their loyal fans and singer Neil Diamond's 1969 hit.

My season ticket contract says I have the right to buy post season tickets if offered and since I have "Plan N" I get my seats....

The seats have been in my family since 1968 and until 10 years ago when the bill came it wasn't that much of a strain on the budget, but I have seen my seat in 10 years go from $16 to $80 ( season ticket discount )

The Bruins have the best playoff ticket system for fans that I know off. You get charged for the first 2 games of the strip when you buy the playoff tickets and then they don't charge you UNTIL they know the tickets can be used at a game. In other words you get the entire strip but only pay for 2 games up front so there are no refund hassels since they don't charge you until that ticket becomes valid for a game.

Yes - an NPR feature even I can enjoy. :D:

The Red Sox ticket price increases have been crazy. I've been for 3 or 4 years straight but in September (they offer ticket discounts in April and September). The team did the right thing as the scalpers would collect the money if they didn't raise the prices though it is a shame.

I gave them good luck in 2004. I went to the largest (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/baseball/mlb/08/31/indians.yankees.ap/index.html) Yankee defeat in team history (22-0) on August 31 and then saw Boston take two from Anaheim (Sept 1 & 2) on their road to the championship. I've liked the Red Sox throughout the years (just don't like the Red Cubs fans in Lakeview / Lincoln Park) and Fenway park is my favorite stadium still standing (just behind the Original Comiskey Park).

The Blackhawks charged you for the entire playoffs and you received either a cash refund the day after they were eliminated (if you paid via cash or check) or they credited your CC back. The Bruins system is great if you use a CC. If they let you pay during the game (intermission) cash / check that would be great as well.

The Blackhawks would open up sales for the playoffs and future games (they used to sell up to 6 games in advance so a new game would open up each game until the final 6 games of the season) after the first intermission. This was when the Chicago Stadium sold out regularly and there was a high demand for tickets. I am surprised I can remember that far back. :o:

Ozzie Train - You had to purchase 2006 playoff tickets by August 31. On the invoice you had to either check the box indicating you wished to apply your unused playoff balance toward 2007 or check a box indicating you wished to have the balance refunded in full and losing all future season ticket rights. The first option is non refundable.

SOXandILLINI
09-24-2006, 07:53 PM
I uunderstand what you mean I think but that last line is confusing.

You could get your money back with out losing your seat location, you mean get your playoff money back, then have the option to buy the seats for the season ?

This year if you did not check the box for applying money towards season ticket location, you loose the seats right ?
correct, if you opted to get your money back this year, you lost your seats for next year. last year we had the option, and when i was a ticket holder thru most of the 90's the 1 or 2 times it was an issue, you had the option of getting your money back, and not losing your location.

StillMissOzzie
09-25-2006, 02:09 AM
So what about us Ozzie Plan package holders that ponied up money for post season tickets? Rumor has it that they don't even know if there will BE an Ozzie Plan for 2007. My seats were not the same for all 13 games, so it's not like I am forfeiting one particular pair of seats if I want the dough back.

SMO
:?:

SOXandILLINI
09-25-2006, 08:10 AM
true, but in theory since there is a waiting list as of right now, you might get shut out completely, but as i stated earlier, my guess is, some rats will jump the ship, and i don't expect there to be a waiting list, hope i'm wrong.

DumpJerry
09-25-2006, 08:22 AM

How do you pay for them? Cash in the mail???????

jenn2080
09-25-2006, 08:23 AM
So what about us Ozzie Plan package holders that ponied up money for post season tickets? Rumor has it that they don't even know if there will BE an Ozzie Plan for 2007. My seats were not the same for all 13 games, so it's not like I am forfeiting one particular pair of seats if I want the dough back.

SMO

There was a thread about this not to long ago. People talked to their reps and the Ozzie Plan will be around.

Scottiehaswheels
09-25-2006, 08:25 AM
There was a thread about this not to long ago. People talked to their reps and the Ozzie Plan will be around.Makes sense now.... If we had made the playoffs perhaps not, but interest will almost certainly fall next year, so they'll have more to sell now

SOXandILLINI
09-25-2006, 08:26 AM
yep

DumpJerry
09-25-2006, 08:27 AM
Makes sense now.... If we had made the playoffs perhaps not, but interest will almost certainly fall next year, so they'll have more to sell now
I would not hold my breath if I was on the wait list. I do not foresee a significant number of cancellations.

Fenway
09-25-2006, 09:06 AM

had to get a certified check from the bank

jenn2080
09-25-2006, 09:07 AM
had to get a certified check from the bank

That is lame. Who the hell has that kind of money just laying around? I mean I know some do but the majority of fans will need their credit cards.

Fenway
09-25-2006, 09:19 AM
That is lame. Who the hell has that kind of money just laying around? I mean I know some do but the majority of fans will need their credit cards.

had to get a cash advance on the card to get the check...

Sox35th
09-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Yes.......playoff tixs came today via DHL!! Just sad that they won't get used:(:

SoxFan78
09-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Yes.......playoff tixs came today via DHL!! Just sad that they won't get used:(:

They actually sent them out? That's gonna hurt when I get home...

spiffie
09-25-2006, 03:07 PM
I would not hold my breath if I was on the wait list. I do not foresee a significant number of cancellations.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a good # as the folks who bought the tickets in 2005 just to make sure they got the playoff tickets decide not to renew, or to renew less. The scalpers won't tie up nearly as many seats since the Sox are not likely to be nearly as hot a ticket next year, at least not at first.

Scottiehaswheels
09-25-2006, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see a good # as the folks who bought the tickets in 2005 just to make sure they got the playoff tickets decide not to renew, or to renew less. The scalpers won't tie up nearly as many seats since the Sox are not likely to be nearly as hot a ticket next year, at least not at first.Exactly what I was thinking...

SOXandILLINI
09-25-2006, 05:31 PM
cosign both of you... there will be no waiting list imo. hope i'm wrong.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-25-2006, 06:18 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see a good # as the folks who bought the tickets in 2005 just to make sure they got the playoff tickets decide not to renew, or to renew less. The scalpers won't tie up nearly as many seats since the Sox are not likely to be nearly as hot a ticket next year, at least not at first.

IIRC, the team sold 3,000 season tickets during the week of the World Series (full ticket plans in 2006 allowed the buyer the right to purchase 2005 World Series tickets).

The team sold more plans in the offseason (November - January) and the White Sox were forced to institute a cut off as far as playoff rights for 2006 due to the fact they had no more playoff tickets to offer to partial plans.

I do agree scalpers who made up a portion of the late 2005 season sales will drop off and a portion of the people who purchased in 2005 / 2006 will not renew but I do think a large portion will be replaced by people on the list and / or people who purchased tickets without postseason rights after the January cut off.

I think 2007 season ticket sales will be at least 90% of the 2006 number. Perhaps someone with contacts in the ticket office can confirm this.

soxwon
09-25-2006, 06:36 PM

SMO

my rep jeff told me there WILL be an ozzie plan next season.

Ol' No. 2
09-25-2006, 06:48 PM
IIRC, the team sold 3,000 season tickets during the week of the World Series (full ticket plans in 2006 allowed the buyer the right to purchase 2005 World Series tickets).

The team sold more plans in the offseason (November - January) and the White Sox were forced to institute a cut off as far as playoff rights for 2006 due to the fact they had no more playoff tickets to offer to partial plans.

I do agree scalpers who made up a portion of the late 2005 season sales will drop off and a portion of the people who purchased in 2005 / 2006 will not renew but I do think a large portion will be replaced by people on the list and / or people who purchased tickets without postseason rights after the January cut off.

I think 2007 season ticket sales will be at least 90% of the 2006 number. Perhaps someone with contacts in the ticket office can confirm this.What I've been told in previous years is that 95% retention from year to year was typical. You'd think that number would drop considerably for 2007. Given that the number of ST doubled from 2005 to 2006, I think they'd be ecstatic if they retained 90% for next year.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-25-2006, 06:55 PM
What I've been told in previous years is that 95% retention from year to year was typical. You'd think that number would drop considerably for 2007. Given that the number of ST doubled from 2005 to 2006, I think they'd be ecstatic if they retained 90% for next year.

While I agree 90% retention should not be expected, I do think many non renewing ticket holders will be replaced by people on the waiting list. My 90% guess is the end net result of losses / additions will come close to around 90% of the total sold for 2006. Perhaps this is too optimistic but I think 90% will be the final count. IIRC, a combined 18,000 total season ticket seats were sold for 2006 (full plans plus combined partial plans adding up to 81 games (i.e. three 27 game plans = 1 full plan)). If this number is correct, I think the club will sell at least 16,200 full / combined partial plans for 2007.

There were people who backed off in 2006 when postseason rights were no longer offered in early January (i.e. people who would have bought plans if postseason rights were included in 2006).

I purchased a full plan for 2006 to get 2005 World Series tickets. I renewed for 2007. I sold a majority of the seats as 81 games is too much for me but I still plan on going to around 20 or so games which is more than in prior seasons.

Ol' No. 2
09-25-2006, 07:03 PM
While I agree 90% retention should not be expected, I do think many non renewing ticket holders will be replaced by people on the waiting list.

There were people who backed off for 2006 when postseason rights were no longer offered in early January (i.e. people who would have bought plans if postseason rights were included in 2006).

I purchased a full plan for 2006 to get 2005 World Series tickets. I renewed for 2007. I sold a majority of the seats as 81 games is too much for me. I ended up going 16 games - some via the season tickets and some bought outside the plan. In previous years, I preferred walking up on a nice day / good match up but those days seem to be gone except in April / May when it is cold and kids are in school.I guess we'll see. I'm not as certain as you are that people who bought ticket packages to get playoff tickets will re-up. And who knows how many are on the waiting list and how many of them will actually buy if given the chance? It costs nothing to get put on a list, but when it comes time to actually pony up the big dough, a lot of people will decide to pass. I'm going to say that the total ST seats will drop by 20%, which is still a tidy increase over 2005.

ewokpelts
09-25-2006, 11:41 PM
the sox made people renew for next year with excess playoff money...i expect 98% retention rate for season tickets

and they sold 21,000 full season equvilants in 2006...NOT 18,000
who knows how many ozzi eplans sold, but i have a feeling it was alot, since they had to offer ozzie plan holders the choice of alds or ALCS tickets
Gene

StillMissOzzie
09-26-2006, 12:52 AM

Yes, preferrably in small, unmarked, non-sequentially numbered bills.

my rep jeff told me there WILL be an ozzie plan next season.

OK, so my next question is, will the Sox want to hang onto my post-season ticket money ( I was an "early" Ozzie Plan buyer who did get a post-season option) as a deposit for a 2007 Ozzie Plan, or just credit my CC?

Here's my dilemna - my niece's husband is already sharing a 2 ticket, 27 game plan with someone else. He has proposed expanding from 2 to 4 tickets if SMO & Son were to go in on the deal. But, I fear I will have to say yes or no to re-upping my Ozzie Plan before I find out if they can go from 2 to 4 on the 27 game plan. If I say no on my current Ozzie Plan, I then fear I would lose ANY post-season rights if they can't expand their 27 game package and I came back in as a "new" Ozzie Plan holder instead. Of course, there is no guarantee that I will retain any post-season rights if I re-up anyhow.

SMO
:(:

ewokpelts
09-26-2006, 09:26 AM
Yes, preferrably in small, unmarked, non-sequentially numbered bills.

OK, so my next question is, will the Sox want to hang onto my post-season ticket money ( I was an "early" Ozzie Plan buyer who did get a post-season option) as a deposit for a 2007 Ozzie Plan, or just credit my CC?

Here's my dilemna - my niece's husband is already sharing a 2 ticket, 27 game plan with someone else. He has proposed expanding from 2 to 4 tickets if SMO & Son were to go in on the deal. But, I fear I will have to say yes or no to re-upping my Ozzie Plan before I find out if they can go from 2 to 4 on the 27 game plan. If I say no on my current Ozzie Plan, I then fear I would lose ANY post-season rights if they can't expand their 27 game package and I came back in as a "new" Ozzie Plan holder instead. Of course, there is no guarantee that I will retain any post-season rights if I re-up anyhow.

SMO
:(:call your rep and talk to them about it.....if you do not have a rep, contact brian jordan and tell him that Gene Kelly sent you .
Gene

BainesHOF
09-26-2006, 10:24 AM
What is preventing anyone from calling the Sox now, bailing on season tickets for next year and asking for a playoff ticket refund?

SoxFan78
09-26-2006, 10:26 AM
What is preventing anyone from calling the Sox now, bailing on season tickets for next year and asking for a playoff ticket refund?

Well if they dont want their season tickets next year, then they can feel free to get their playoff money back, less the S/H.

Palehose13
09-26-2006, 10:44 AM

I have been thinking about doing that because I really can't afford my seats, but my love of the Sox is preventing me.

ewokpelts
09-26-2006, 10:58 AM
What is preventing anyone from calling the Sox now, bailing on season tickets for next year and asking for a playoff ticket refund?i think cuz it's a use it or lose it offer...i got burned by the bulls with a similar tactic....i didnt use my excess playoff money quick enough in 05-06, and i lost 300 bucks...and they wouldnt let me use it for 06-07

Whitesox4ever
09-27-2006, 09:14 AM

If you didn't check the box (on your playoff ticket invoice) asking for a refund, it's too late. If you call today, they'll say no refunds.

I'm keeping mine anyway, but for people who are having a rough time affording it right now, that sucks.

soxwon
09-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Well you could get the Podsednik plan!!!!
2 tickets in another city!!!!! LOL

Timmy D's
10-01-2006, 01:01 AM
Well you could get the Podsednik plan!!!!
2 tickets in another city!!!!! LOL

That was funny!! I spat beer on my monitor lol'd.