PDA

View Full Version : Why is it that to be a "real" fan, you have to let go of past success?

Frontman
09-23-2006, 11:33 PM
Hey all you Sox fans,

I've heards quite a few times this past week that "real" Sox fans dismiss last years success and don't include it at all when speaking of the 2006 team. Now, color me crazy here, but if in talking things as "repeating" or "dynasty" or "returning" to the post season, are you not by definition including last years success into the conversation?

Why is it that the talking heads on radio and even some WSI members are so quick to dismiss anyone's point of view that includes things such as "you know, we won it all last year?" Why are we so quick to be down on this team, as the odds are against us? Given the track record of defending champions in baseball, the odds were against us on October 26, 2005 of winning the 2006 World Series. It hasn't happened in ten years time for the defending champions to repeat.

Are the Sox going to make the playoffs? Probably not. But why is it that we are so quick to bad mouth this team, as it quote "better than the 2005 team....on paper," yet as a Sox fan who loves this team and am quite thankful to the Sox for winning it all last year and that is somehow bad? How can you compare this years team to last years team yet NOT include the championship run?

I'm sorry, but the second you talk dynasty, you talk to building on and comparing to a past championship team. You can't have a repeat without including the first win. It's like counting to 3, but 1 doesn't matter once you hit 2. 1 is still there, its still a part of the equation. Without it, it will only be just 1.

You can't have it both ways. Either we compare this team (and future ones) to the 2005 squad AND their championship, or we don't. And if we don't, and all that matters is this year; man, talk about it "sucks to be a Chicago fan."

Does anyone realize that it had been 8 years since Jordan and the Bulls won and for us in Chicago to be excited about being champions again? By definition, does it mean all the basketball, baseball, football, and hockey games we watched/went to over the course of EIGHT YEARS meant nothing and no enjoyment can be taken from it?

Baseball is a generational thing. Sons (and daughters) learn the game from their Dads (and Moms.) Grandparents take their grandkids to games. Its one of the things that is purely a part of our culture. Its something that has been passed down for generations. Win or loose, going to your first ballgame is an incredible experience. Enjoying baseball on TV with your family is something to be fun.

Why is it that this generation needs to blow off last years win, for the sake of complaining about this year? If you compare the 2006 team to the 2005 team, by default you are including their championship into the discussion. To dismiss a fan for loving the Sox for 2005 and for not letting go is just stupid. Its pointless, and its mean. Now, if in 2025 someone is still pining for Joe Crede and the 2005 Sox; THEN give them the "reality" talk. (Much like Bears fans who still refer to "Da Coach." Let go of it man!) I just don't get the need to rush the dismissal of the 2005 Championship. It hasn't even been a 12 full freakin' months!

I can only speak from what my family has and hasn't done. We're a family of life long Sox fans, going all the way back to my Grandfather. Sadly, my Grandad died in 85, never seeing a White Sox World Series championship. Hell, he never even saw this young kid named Ozzie Guillen win Rookie of the Year honors, as he passed in August. But he is the one took me to my first Sox game. He held season tickets for a few years, until he passed. So yes, we experienced the joy (and the disappointment) of the 83 team. We were there at Comiskey for the All Star Game back then.

Now, he had "the best seat in the house" to see last year's magic. Last year's success. (And some might of read my post a few months ago about how I believe he watched that final inning.) That young kid named Guillen he saw play ball in his final year with us matured, learned the game, and then went and led the White Sox to the championship. The 2005 White Sox gave me the chance to go to his grave and say, "They did it Pa. YOUR team did it."

To me, I can't understand why we need to dismiss 05 so quickly. To me, its a shame that we can't "hold onto that feeling" until many years from now. To me, the 2005 Sox was something that can't just be NOT included into the equation. Like I said, if the Sox haven't done squat 5 years from now, and folks are still citing the 05 team as something great; I'm all for a reality smack across the face. But until that time, let's just enjoy and fondly think about the championship run. So, at the end of it all, IF the Sox are done for 2006 next weekend, is it disappointing?

Yeah, it is. But if we've dismissed the 2005 season already, what is there to hold onto into 2007?

Just something to thing about.

Peace to you all.

Front

Frater Perdurabo
09-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Name-calling (which includes claiming that people are "not" something) makes people feel empowered. (Kind of like posting on message boards, like me and everyone else on here :tongue: )

People like the power they think they get when they "define" things according to their own standards and exclude others with whom they disagree.

Frontman
09-23-2006, 11:38 PM
Name calling makes people feel empowered. (Kind of like posting on message boards, like me and everyone else on here :tongue: )

People like the power they think they get when they "define" things according to their own standards and exclude others with whom they disagree.

lol. I've had my fair share of being a mod on another, non-Sox related site. I've seen how quite a few smacktalkers do their fair share of being blowhards online, but they don't seem to be quite so talkative in person.

I just wish we could get paid for it, much like those knuckleheads on the radio.

Front

Martinigirl
09-23-2006, 11:46 PM
I don't think you need to dismiss last year or forget it ever happened, but you, or at least I, also can't live in the past.

If all you wanted was one World Series in your lifetime, than that is great. And last year, after we won, I swore I would never complain about the Sox again. I would live in the afterglow of last October forever. But you know what happened? I didn't want to live in the past. I wanted my team to be just as good this year as it was last year. I wanted the magic to happen again and again. And I am mad that it didn't work out that way.

My biggest issue with this is who is anyone to say what kind of fan you are? The implication that somehow you are a better fan if you never question a call, or complain about managerial decisions, is ridiculous. What if my nature is to question (and in some cases complain)? Why does that make me a bad fan?

I have gone to Sox games my whole life. I sat next to my father and learned how to keep score. I can tell you all of my favorite players starting from Scott Fletcher on. I am not a bandwagon jumper. I stayed with this team through thick and thin. I have put up with awful teams, horrible managers, and yet I still love them. And I always will.

But I am greedy now. I want more playoffs, I want more pennants and I want more parades. And I would hope the White Sox do to.

Frontman
09-24-2006, 12:02 AM
I don't think you need to dismiss last year or forget it ever happened, but you, or at least I, also can't live in the past.

If all you wanted was one World Series in your lifetime, than that is great. And last year, after we won, I swore I would never complain about the Sox again. I would live in the afterglow of last October forever. But you know what happened? I didn't want to live in the past. I wanted my team to be just as good this year as it was last year. I wanted the magic to happen again and again. And I am mad that it didn't work out that way.

My biggest issue with this is who is anyone to say what kind of fan you are? The implication that somehow you are a better fan if you never question a call, or complain about managerial decisions, is ridiculous. What if my nature is to question (and in some cases complain)? Why does that make me a bad fan?

I have gone to Sox games my whole life. I sat next to my father and learned how to keep score. I can tell you all of my favorite players starting from Scott Fletcher on. I am not a bandwagon jumper. I stayed with this team through thick and thin. I have put up with awful teams, horrible managers, and yet I still love them. And I always will.

But I am greedy now. I want more playoffs, I want more pennants and I want more parades. And I would hope the White Sox do to.

Absolutely. I'm just as disappointed as the next Sox fan with the team's performance. I just can't get over the rush to shove 05 into the past. Its still the "defending" year. Sure, it looks like they won't make it, but man; its this whole "You're not a fan if you still forgive the Sox because of last year...." crap that pisses me. It's not being forgiving, its being grateful. And also being polite. Maybe its just the language that many choose to use to describe this team that gets me riled up.

I just don't get that "real" fans have to equal cynical fans. I don't get the concept of I have to call for Ozzie's head on a pike to prove I'm a "real" Sox fan. Hell, some of the very best coaches have losing seasons, in any sport. For example, you mean to tell me Joe Paterno at Penn State "sucks" as a coach since he had a loosing season? (You is in the general, not directed at Martinigirl.) Joe Pa is one of the most respected coaches in college football. Granted, Ozzie has been doing this for less than 4 years, and Joe Pa has decades of coaching under his belt, but Ozzie is also a former Sox player who deserves a bit of respect. To say he's an idiot/moronic/cost us the season/deserves to be shipped out of here/etc. after coming up short (not a loosing season, mind you. Hell, in many of the other divisions, we would of either won it or came in second for the division.) is again just plain rude and moronic. I'd love to know whoever threw their beverage cup at Ozzie during Friday's game. That is an ugly fan period.

I don't get the whole "this team sucks" when this team includes Konerko, Crede, Dye, AJ, Burhele, Cotts, Contreras, Uribe, Garcia, Iguchi, Jenks, Garland, McCarthy. That's quite a few from last years roster. Hard to boo them or say they suck, at least for me, as they were the same men who played their hearts out just one year ago to give us that first championship in 88 years. Yes, I can't live in the past, but I also can't forget it. To say to AJ that he sucks when his heads up baserunning got us further in the playoffs just 11 months ago is just plain cruel. He knows this team faltered. He doesn't need me or anyone else to rub their noses in it and just be cruel.

Martinigirl, if you can ever explain to me how to keep score, I'd love it! I was pretty young back when I'd got to games with my Grandad and he never got the chance to teach me how to work a scorecard.

Thanks for reading!

Front

Nellie_Fox
09-24-2006, 02:25 AM
One of the few things I've agreed with Ditka about: The past is for cowards and losers.

I loved last year. That doesn't mitigate this year.

Chips
09-24-2006, 02:29 AM
One of the few things I've agreed with Ditka about: The past is for cowards and losers.

An excellent statement for this season.

Grzegorz
09-24-2006, 06:31 AM

Agree one hundred percent with these statements. The ultimate goal is to win the World Series. That is what MLB teams work for. One WS win should not satisfy any fan of any team for eternity. Same goes for the skipper guiding the team to the WS; one WS win does not give him carte blanche.

Look at it this way; a baseball team is just a larger version of each of us. Each of us would, I hope, have long term goals and dreams we'd like to achieve. We don't accept setbacks on our road to retirement, we hopefully are critical of the issues that held us back, we learn from them, and move forward.

The 'end' being a happy and healthy retirement.

Same with a baseball team; as a fan this is the approach I expect KW to follow. I expect, every year, that this team be equipped with the pieces to take the White Sox through the playoff on to the WS.

In MLB qualifying for the playoffs and and becoming ALCS champions are the 'means' to the ultimate 'end' of being WS champion.

We should expect nothing less as fans of the White Sox.

ewokpelts
09-24-2006, 07:16 AM

I loved last year. That doesn't mitigate this year.then why does ditka live in the past so much?

Frontman
09-24-2006, 08:27 AM
then why does ditka live in the past so much?

I love the coach too, but he's not one to talk about clinging to past victories, otherwise he wouldn't have anything other than a pretty decent porkchop recipie.

:o:

Front

wassagstdu
09-24-2006, 08:56 AM

Respecting the past is not living in the past. And calling Ozzie Guillen a "clown" as some others have recently is not "criticizing managerial decisions" and it is not respecting Ozzie or 2005.

Likewise to say one of 2005's most important contributors "sucks" and that that we are "tired of his act" and "want him gone" just because he has not had the impact he had in 2005 is living in the past, in a perverse way.

BTW, did Ditka say that before 1986 (when the past meant losing) or after? Maybe if he had respected 1986 more he would have had a better chance of repeating it?

samram
09-24-2006, 08:59 AM

Agreed 100%.

Another problem is people like to throw the term "real fan" or "true fan" around a lot. No one knows exactly what either of those terms means except by their own definition. They're usually used to put down people who don't have the same exact perspectives about the team that the user has.

samram
09-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Likewise to say one of 2005's most important contributors "sucks" and that that we are "tired of his act" and "want him gone" just because he has not had the impact he had in 2005 is living in the past, in a perverse way.

No, saying that a guy gets a free pass because he hit a homer in game 2 of the WS (while conveniently forgetting his own miserable throw allowed the game to be tied) is living in the past.

BeefyD
09-24-2006, 09:30 AM
My opinion of a real fan is the same as it's been since I was a little kid. Yes, last year was great, but have I been going to a dozen or more games since I was able to afford them (circa 1986)? Yes. Will I be back next year? YES.

Win or lose, as long as the owners and management SEEM TO BE TRYING TO PUT A DECENT PRODUCT ON THE FIELD, I will continue to be a fan. We've had a decent core for quite a while. I mean, Ventura, Thomas, Mags, for one year Belle, could've easily been the nucleus for playoff contending teams. Have there been past mistakes and bad experiments? Yes. Happens with every team.

Now, my capitalized reference above reflects the goal of two other teams in this town. My best buddy is a DIE HARD north-side fan, but has boycotted going to games until Ownership tries to put a decent product on the field. The second team I reference skates on ice. Enough said there.

Did the 06 Sox suck this 2nd half? Yes. Sub-500 ball SUCKS. That doesn't mean I don't want them to win.

Greg1983
09-24-2006, 10:48 AM
I think the problem here is that we all have different ways of coping with a hardship.

I don't mean to get melodramatic here, but the truth is that all of us White Sox fans are going through what could almost be called a mourning period. I hate to compare a game to something like the death of a loved one, but if you post here on WSI, you most likely love the Sox very deeply. For me, I've been attached to this team for 29 out of my 33 years.

And now we're face-to-face with the (almost certain) reality that we're not going to win it all again this year. Something very, very special and precious to all of us is slipping away.

And let's be honest: all of us, whether we admit it or not, are a little bit afraid that it will be another 88 years. It might not be a rational, well-articulated fear, but I believe every White Sox fan has pondered the sad possibility that 2005 might have been a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

So we all deal with these emotions differently, just as people will pass through the stages of grief and mourning in different ways, and sometimes even in different sequences. Some are in denial, some are angry, some are horribly depressed, and possibly some have begun the painful process of acceptance.

I wish that WSI posters would be a little more patient and compassionate, and not resort to the name-calling and the attacks on people's allegiance. We're all supposed to be on the same side. But underneath it all, I think they are coping with a certain sadness just like everyone else.

I call on everyone here to resolve himself or herself to a little more kindness on this board. This goes for me as much as anyone else...I've taken the bait on a few occasions and gotten nasty. It is a sad time for all of us.

And for whatever it's worth, let me also assert my strong belief that this team is still well-prepared for the next several seasons. There are hard decisions to make. Can we afford Crede? What do we do with Buerhle? What do we make of BA? Will Ozzie ever learn to quit tinkering and quit losing his temper?

But even in a worst-case scenario, this team has enough good arms and strong bats to be competitive for at least a couple more years. Even if we had to wait until 2009 or 2010 to win another, just imagine how blessed we'd feel to have won 2 in 5 years, after bupkes for 88?

Peace, my brothers and sisters!!
Greg1983

digdagdug23
09-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Here is the way I look at it. The reason we (at least many of us) are disappointed this year, is because they have played like crap the majority of THIS YEAR. Not because of the October celebration, but rather, in spite of it.

This team gave us intermitent looks at what they were capable of doing, thus giving us the hope that they were a championship caliber team. But as the season wore on, we began to see more of the weaknesses, and less of the greatness. This has absolutely nothing to do with last year. Funny thing about the game today, versus even ten years ago is, free agency has deemed it next to impossible to be the team you were the year before. All team sports have begun to take on this feel, not only in baseball. You can no longer look at the previous season and use it as a gage for the next one. Even though we kept the majority of the line-up in tact, Detroit went out and acquired themselves a heck of a pitching staff. Cleveland was the team giving us fits last year, and where are they now? Oh yeah, eliminated about 2 weeks ago. Houston was the team we met in the series, will they get there this year? Where were the Mets this time last year? This is the thing many of us know, but some refuse to learn. You can not assume anything, and this is the reason you play the game.

That many of us are disappointed is part of being a fan. This is the way we have felt for as long as I have been alive, and before that. That we are dissappointed may have a little to do with winning the whole enchilada last year, but quite honestly, it doesn't feel any different than 2004 or any other year to me.

MarySwiss
09-24-2006, 11:43 AM

Exactly. Last year was special. This year could have been. Next year...hopefully will be again.

Patrick134
09-24-2006, 11:50 AM
I think the problem here is that we all have different ways of coping with a hardship.

I don't mean to get melodramatic here, but the truth is that all of us White Sox fans are going through what could almost be called a mourning period. I hate to compare a game to something like the death of a loved one, but if you post here on WSI, you most likely love the Sox very deeply. For me, I've been attached to this team for 29 out of my 33 years.

And now we're face-to-face with the (almost certain) reality that we're not going to win it all again this year. Something very, very special and precious to all of us is slipping away.

And let's be honest: all of us, whether we admit it or not, are a little bit afraid that it will be another 88 years. It might not be a rational, well-articulated fear, but I believe every White Sox fan has pondered the sad possibility that 2005 might have been a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

So we all deal with these emotions differently, just as people will pass through the stages of grief and mourning in different ways, and sometimes even in different sequences. Some are in denial, some are angry, some are horribly depressed, and possibly some have begun the painful process of acceptance.

I wish that WSI posters would be a little more patient and compassionate, and not resort to the name-calling and the attacks on people's allegiance. We're all supposed to be on the same side. But underneath it all, I think they are coping with a certain sadness just like everyone else.

I call on everyone here to resolve himself or herself to a little more kindness on this board. This goes for me as much as anyone else...I've taken the bait on a few occasions and gotten nasty. It is a sad time for all of us.

And for whatever it's worth, let me also assert my strong belief that this team is still well-prepared for the next several seasons. There are hard decisions to make. Can we afford Crede? What do we do with Buerhle? What do we make of BA? Will Ozzie ever learn to quit tinkering and quit losing his temper?

But even in a worst-case scenario, this team has enough good arms and strong bats to be competitive for at least a couple more years. Even if we had to wait until 2009 or 2010 to win another, just imagine how blessed we'd feel to have won 2 in 5 years, after bupkes for 88?

Peace, my brothers and sisters!!
Greg1983

Please don't compare the Sox possibly missing this playoff to true "hardship". That makes a mockery of people dealing with some of life's true hard times. A dissapointment ? Sure. But don't be so overdramatic.

viagracat
09-24-2006, 12:35 PM
While I admit to still possessing a glow from the '05 season because as one of WSI's older posters had to actually sit through some 40 years of disappointment and sometimes worse than that prior to that, I knew from the start that '06 was a whole new season and that everyone had to move on. I'm very disappointed in this year's results, but I'll survive and be back next year. And I'll always have my '05 WS and Sox Pride DVDs. :smile:

Greg1983
09-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Please don't compare the Sox possibly missing this playoff to true "hardship". That makes a mockery of people dealing with some of life's true hard times. A dissapointment ? Sure. But don't be so overdramatic.

I totally understand, I apologize if I didn't make the distinction clear enough.

Again, I would never seriously compare a game to life's true tragedies and sorrows. Speaking as someone who held his mother in his arms as his father lay dying, I feel like I have a little insight into what you're saying, although even my circumstances could have been far worse and more tragic.

I only wanted to point out how much Sox fans love their team and love their baseball, and the passions that love can arouse. Those passions can make some people say things they'll later regret.

Again, sorry if I overdid it. I completely, 100% agree with your point, Patrick.

SoxSpeed22
09-24-2006, 12:42 PM
I said in an earlier post:
'If you insist on living in the past, enjoy being run over in the present.'
Realistically, to be a real fan, you always want to win, all the time. Last year was one of the greatest things to happen to the fans here, but we all know that there are more seasons to be played, time only moves forward, unless you control time.
Mucho metaphysical man.

Greg1983
09-24-2006, 12:49 PM
That many of us are disappointed is part of being a fan. This is the way we have felt for as long as I have been alive, and before that. That we are dissappointed may have a little to do with winning the whole enchilada last year, but quite honestly, it doesn't feel any different than 2004 or any other year to me.

This is an excellent point. For a long while I considered not winning it all in 2006 the absolute worst, most painful set of circumstances I could imagine. Truth is, it's really not been all that awful.

2006 could have been a hell of a lot worse than this. We are not yet mathematically eliminated as of September 24. We put butts in the seats like never before. We have all kinds of reasons to be optimistic about next year.

One of the clearest memories of my childhood was watching the Sox fall to the Orioles in the decisive 5th game of the '83 ALCS. I was 10 years old, and I was crying. My heart was broken. But I remember my dear old dad getting a very serious look on his face and saying, "Hey, they gave us a year of great baseball."

I'm not sure if the '06 Sox really gave us a whole year of "great baseball," but at least they made it interesting. They may yet give us at least one or two more great games before '06 is done, and there could be many more in '07. Let's accentuate the positive.

areilly
09-24-2006, 01:02 PM
I've said it before and I've said it again: last year is over.

We don't have to let go of past successes, but we do have to accept that glory is fleeting.

2005 will always be there for us to look back on. Sadly, there are more games to play, more seasons to face, new challenges to conquer.

When you're on top, there's really only one place to go. And with that, we are welcomed to the post-celebration hangover.

Lip Man 1
09-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Greg:

The Sox - Orioles series never went to five games.

Lip

Grzegorz
09-24-2006, 07:49 PM
Hey Lip, speaking of past disappointment, did that homer Eddie Murray hit off of Richard Dotson in the '83 ALCS ever come down? :D:

Lip Man 1
09-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Grzeg:

Nope it's still going trying to catch up with Haffner's bomb off Boone Logan in the second game this season!

Lip

Frontman
09-24-2006, 09:49 PM
I think Thome's opening night bomb finally landed in the backyard. Wait a sec.

Yeah, just as I thought. That "UFO" in orbit with the space shuttle WAS Thome's home run ball.

:wink:

tebman
09-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Hey Lip, speaking of past disappointment, did that homer Eddie Murray hit off of Richard Dotson in the '83 ALCS ever come down? :D:
Or has there ever been more stillness than after Tito "The Babe" Landrum hit that 10th-inning homer off Britt Burns? I was at that game, and the ballpark felt like the surface of the moon.

Greg1983
09-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Greg:

The Sox - Orioles series never went to five games.

Lip

ACKPTH!!!! Christ, what's wrong with me?

Getting old sucks.

That was, of course, the *fourth*game.

Thanks, Lip.

Vernam
09-25-2006, 09:24 PM
Or has there ever been more stillness than after Tito "The Babe" Landrum hit that 10th-inning homer off Britt Burns? I was at that game, and the ballpark felt like the surface of the moon.If you watch the video, I'm exactly 10 seats to the left of where that ball landed. I can still hear the sound of it hitting the wooden seat. :whiner:

If people want to cast aside '05 to bitch about '06, that's their business. I'm glad the championship glow, for me, has survived this season's disappointments. There are too few feelings like that in life, so I'm never in a hurry to let them go. If someone calls that denying reality, I couldn't care less. I know what time it is.

Vernam

Hangar18
09-26-2006, 12:11 PM

INTERESTING. And well said. I HATE when people simply dismiss a player as "he sucks" without any other reasoning as to why

PaulDrake
09-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Name-calling (which includes claiming that people are "not" something) makes people feel empowered. (Kind of like posting on message boards, like me and everyone else on here :tongue: )

People like the power they think they get when they "define" things according to their own standards and exclude others with whom they disagree. Now that we're getting philosophical, in modern life it's hard to feel like one has very much power anywhere. So on the internet there is a chance to make up for it, and lord your supposed superiority over your cyber neighbor. Therefore, if you disagree with someone's viewpoint here, you can call them a pollyanna, dark cloud, Mariotti, or perhaps just a real dumb SOB. It can get rather exasperating, especially for someone like me. Sometimes I'm not even sure I agree with myself.

jdm2662
09-26-2006, 12:56 PM
There is nothing wrong with talking about past teams and how much fun they were, how much you enjoyed it, etc. I have the entire 1985 Bears season games on DVD. I got the Bulls Dyansty set and the Michael Jordan Box Set. I collected many things from last season's World Series teams. Why? These seasons are rare. Some people got upset over Bill Melton's comments on enjoy it while it lasts because it might not happen again. Well, he's right. It may or may not happen again. My father said the same thing in 1991 when the Bulls won it. Obviously, he was a bit off, but I got the point. It is very hard to win a championship at any level of any sport.

Now, as for the ones saying that we can't rip Ozzie for his managing/behavior because of last season is on the money. The same goes to a player who played great last season or had a key hit at a certain time. You are not helping the team this season or beyond. Sure, we can be thankful for what you did last season. However, you can't be blinded by it. While it was great that last season happened, you still need to produce this season. The goal is to win this season as well and beyond.

I will admit last season's World Series made this year much easier to handle. However, it does not mean I'm happy with the season. I stressed myself out last season through all those one run games, watching the division shrink to 1.5 games with less than two weeks to go, and all those playoff games. I can't remember the Bulls run or the Bears during the Ditka days ever being that insane. I vowed not to go through this again. It sucked how the season ended, but what can you do?

I remember quite a few people saying they will take 10 losing seasons in a row for one World Series win. That's how badly a lot of people here wanted that World Series win. Well, the win was reality. Would some people accept some losing seasons knowing they have that World Series win? I doubt it. I will say this. I can no longer say I won't see a World Series in my lifetime. That is just one less complaint I will have during a disappointing season...