PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Ticket Exchange Ripoff

BigHurt35
09-23-2006, 07:47 PM
I have been using the White Sox ticket exchange to sell some of my season tickets, but recently realized it is extremely shady.

The price that you list is not the price that the tickets sell for. When you list the tickets the note at the bottom says that 10% of what you list the tickets for will be taken out as a fee (compared to 15% from Stubhub). But since around $7 is added to each ticket, along with an additional $1.50, often times the fee will be over 20%. On top of that your tickets may not sell because of the price increase.

I contacted ticketmaster who say that the increase is due to their fee, and the 10% taken out is the White Sox cut. Basically the entire thing sucks. Next year I'm sticking with Stubhub.

MrRoboto83
09-23-2006, 07:51 PM
I have been using the White Sox ticket exchange to sell some of my season tickets, but recently realized it is extremely shady.

The price that you list is not the price that the tickets sell for. When you list the tickets the note at the bottom says that 10% of what you list the tickets for will be taken out as a fee (compared to 15% from Stubhub). But since around $7 is added to each ticket, along with an additional $1.50, often times the fee will be over 20%. On top of that your tickets may not sell because of the price increase.

I contacted ticketmaster who say that the increase is due to their fee, and the 10% taken out is the White Sox cut. Basically the entire thing sucks. Next year I'm sticking with Stubhub.

I happen to like the ticketexchange system. It is very easy to use, and I don't have to send off tickets to anyone. It is nice to know that I have over half of my tickets already paid for, for next season already. I have had no problems selling tickets on the exchange all season.

ewokpelts
09-23-2006, 08:45 PM

I contacted ticketmaster who say that the increase is due to their fee, and the 10% taken out is the White Sox cut. Basically the entire thing sucks. Next year I'm sticking with Stubhub.if you post your ticket for $100 and it sells, the sox give you 90 bucks...what's the problem with that?
they sell the tickets at $110, and make the buyer pay the ticketfast fee.....

The Dude
09-23-2006, 08:51 PM

So basically you'd rather pay the 15% fee from stubhub and have to ship your tickets but not the 10% fee on whitesox.com when you simply keep your ticket and just remember not to use it?:rolleyes:
Why would you care about the buyer paying any extra fees? It's a great service and I am happy to pay the 10% if it means I don't have to do ANY legwork at all besides posting and checking my email.

eastchicagosoxfan
09-23-2006, 08:57 PM
I've purchased tickets this year twice from Ticket Exchange. I like the arragement. It's very easy to use. The prices were generally better there than on Stubhub. Additionally, I know that the tickets on the exchange are direct from season ticket holders. I don't know where a ticket from Stubhub came from.

soxwon
09-23-2006, 09:43 PM
i like it cause if you have a balance at the end of the season it goes to your ST for next year.

buehrle4cy05
09-23-2006, 11:50 PM
My family and I will probably be using the ticket exchange a lot next year. We're keeping our 27-game plan but I suspect the 2 relatives we went in with this year won't want the seats back, and I'll be going off to college in late August. It seems like a convinient service from everything I've heard.

I want Mags back
09-24-2006, 05:53 PM
you could sell them here at the WSI exchange at face value and make all us very happy

SouthSide_HitMen
09-24-2006, 06:22 PM
you could sell them here at the WSI exchange at face value and make all us very happy

You will see my packages (5-6 games or so per package) here next February here so no pink is required.

I hope people like you who bought them enjoyed the games.

I haven't used the exchange and don't plan on using it next year though it is great for people who know they are going to renew their tickets next season. IMHO, it is the easiest method of selling your extras to the general public.

chisoxmike
09-24-2006, 06:29 PM

Thats a last resort. I'd rather rip people off and make money off them.:tongue:

jenn2080
09-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Once I got the whole you don't get money for it I actually liked it. Like The Dude said there is no legwork and it is cheaper then Stubhub. I will stick with Ticketexchange.

Steelrod
09-24-2006, 10:40 PM

Stubhub adds a buyers premium and the buyer pays for shipping. The seller also has to package the tickets and deliver to Fedex.
There is no way Stubhub is better or more inconvenient than ticket exchange. Besides, I like that it helps pay for my season tickets.

DumpJerry
09-24-2006, 11:12 PM
I think BigHurt35 works for Stubhub. Accept this proposition and his post makes sense.
Edit: This person joined in December, 2003 and has only 10 posts. I guess not much happened in 2005 that got him/her excited.

Chips
09-24-2006, 11:17 PM
Dude and I used the White Sox Ticket Exchange for about 34 tickets this season and I am pretty damn sure that next year won't cost us anymore money, and we may even have a few dollars left for 2007 playoff tickets.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Edit: This person joined in December, 2003 and has only 10 posts. I guess not much happened in 2005 that got him/her excited.

You are not your post count. :D:

Stubhub is more exciting than the 2005 Chicago White Sox World Championship. :redneck

People planning on scalping in 2007 via the Ticket Exchange (or any other method) should temper their expectations unless the White Sox get off to a great start.

DumpJerry
09-24-2006, 11:40 PM
You are not your post count. :D:

Stubhub is more exciting than the 2005 Chicago White Sox World Championship. :redneck

People planning on scalping in 2007 via the Ticket Exchange (or any other method) should temper their expectations unless the White Sox get off to a great start.
you missed my point or forgot about teal.
The post comment was because the White Sox make the World Series and he has two innocuous posts about it, but Stubhub rates real high for attention.
The Sox can go winless next year and you will still be able to sell Yankee, Red Sox, Cubs, Tigers, and Twins games at maximum price to their fans.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-25-2006, 12:07 AM
you missed my point or forgot about teal.
The post comment was because the White Sox make the World Series and he has two innocuous posts about it, but Stubhub rates real high for attention.
The Sox can go winless next year and you will still be able to sell Yankee, Red Sox, Cubs, Tigers, and Twins games at maximum price to their fans.

Absit iniuria verbis

I would have thought the smiley face / redneck smilies conveyed my view. :dunno:

I hope you are correct re: ticket demand in 2007 - I'll have some packages at face on the block next spring and hope they go as quickly as last year (within a few days).

SOXandILLINI
09-25-2006, 07:21 AM
yeah, the tik exchange is nice. i sold about a dozen games there and it's nice to have that little credit towards next year, not such a big hicky when the invoice comes.

IspepAloc
09-25-2006, 12:42 PM
I used both this year for selling some of my tickets. Found TicketExchange easier to use and more beneficial to both buyer and seller because you get 90% of the money you ask for and you don't have to mail out the tickets.

For my Season Tickets next year, I will probably use TE more in the beginning instead of StubHub and maybe use StubHub for some of the bigger games that I won't be able to attend. Tried the WSI exchange, but a lot of people look for Lower Deck seats and I have UD seats so it wasn't panning out for me.

Scottiehaswheels
09-25-2006, 12:48 PM
For my Season Tickets next year, I will probably use TE more in the beginning instead of StubHub and maybe use StubHub for some of the bigger games that I won't be able to attend.
I plan on doing the exact opposite of you.... Throw em on stubhub early to pay down the credit cards and then when they expire on stubhub(3 business days before the game) then I'll put the ones I don't need/use on the TicketExchange... Funny thing is a lot of people would rather pay a big premium on the Ticket Exchange compared to the ones on broker sites... I know I listed a pair of tix earlier this year on stubhub at about $40 each and they didn't sell, put em on the ticket exchange for $55 each and they sold in a couple hours...

Fenway
09-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Sounds like the White Sox haven't gone after StubHub

In Boston the Red Sox bought tickets on StubHub and then revoked the season tickets of people using the service.

The Red Sox system is called Replay

plenty of seats up fror grabs for the Devil Rays series this week :tongue:

http://replay.tickets.com/buy/TicketResaleServlet?orgid=21714&agency=RSOX_REPLAY

Scottiehaswheels
09-25-2006, 01:18 PM

In Boston the Red Sox bought tickets on StubHub and then revoked the season tickets of people using the service.

I really don't understand how they could have a legal argument if anyone took them to court though... Honestly, Stubhub guarantees the tix, so if the buyer gets a fake which is highly unlikely the seller can't get paid... A pretty easy argument for anyone wanting to fight that is the Red Sox already made their money on selling the tix in the first place. Whether I the buyer decide to sell them on a site that doesn't give the Red Sox a cut after I have paid for my tix is my personal choice and not one for them to make.

Fenway
09-25-2006, 01:21 PM
I really don't understand how they could have a legal argument if anyone took them to court though... Honestly, Stubhub guarantees the tix, so if the buyer gets a fake which is highly unlikely the seller can't get paid... A pretty easy argument for anyone wanting to fight that is the Red Sox already made their money on selling the tix in the first place. Whether I the buyer decide to sell them on a site that doesn't give the Red Sox a cut after I have paid for my tix is my personal choice and not one for them to make.

The Red Sox make it very clear when you buy the tickets.....

We reserve the right to revoke, cancel, or rescind any purchase of any tickets for events at Fenway Park for any reason.

It is the policy of the Red Sox to prohibit any unauthorized resale or any offer or any attempt to resell some or all of the tickets purchased in any transaction. This includes but is not limited to auctions, sweepstakes, contests, promotions and any other form of second market resale.

In the event that any tickets are revoked or canceled, The Boston Red Sox agree to fully refund the original purchaser by the same means by which he/she purchased the ticket (credit card, cash or check.)

In the event that there has been any mishandling, abuse, or violation of Red Sox policy with respect to any part of a transaction, the Boston Red Sox will revoke and refund the transaction in its entirety.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/ticketing/ticket_policies.jsp

Scottiehaswheels
09-25-2006, 01:26 PM
The Red Sox make it very clear when you buy the tickets.....

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/ticketing/ticket_policies.jsp
True and I understand that but by their own rules the Replay window is against their rules and they are thereby running their own illegal site... Its creating an illegal monopoly... If they didn't run that Replay window themselves then they might have an argument, but by running that site, every other site/broker should be fair game. I do know that the state of Mass. has a limit on the markup of tix but I'd bet on that Replay site they exceed that as well, especially during Yankee games and the like.

Fenway
09-25-2006, 01:34 PM
True and I understand that but by their own rules the Replay window is against their rules and they are thereby running their own illegal site... Its creating an illegal monopoly... If they didn't run that Replay window themselves then they might have an argument, but by running that site, every other site/broker should be fair game. I do know that the state of Mass. has a limit on the markup of tix but I'd bet on that Replay site they exceed that as well, especially during Yankee games and the like.

I agree with you but can a Red Sox season ticket holder take that chance with Stub Hub after they revoked some 100 season ticket holders? This all comes from Lucchino who wants complete control.

Scottiehaswheels
09-25-2006, 01:36 PM
I agree with you but can a Red Sox season ticket holder take that chance with Stub Hub after they revoked some 100 season ticket holders? This all comes from Lucchino who wants complete control.In my mind its one helluva way to alienate your fanbase... Especially since those things get passed from generation to generation... OK this is gonna be a dumb question/hijack but I never really understood this in that Fever Pitch movie... If a guy like that couldn't sell the games he couldn't attend to help pay the bill... How did a public school teacher afford tix that cost like 20k a year?

Fenway
09-25-2006, 01:51 PM
In my mind its one helluva way to alienate your fanbase... Especially since those things get passed from generation to generation... OK this is gonna be a dumb question/hijack but I never really understood this in that Fever Pitch movie... If a guy like that couldn't sell the games he couldn't attend to help pay the bill... How did a public school teacher afford tix that cost like 20k a year?

Remember he had a "ticket draft" with his friends....:smile:

I "guess" in legalspeak I do not own those tickets, I simply have the right to rent them each game.

There is a new book out called "Feeding the Monster" which documents at how the Red Sox have become far more than a baseball team. They have bought real estate all over the Fenway area and want TOTAL SAY at what goes into the area and the City of Boston has allowed it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0743286812/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-6696591-5687931#reader-link

jenn2080
09-25-2006, 03:01 PM
In my mind its one helluva way to alienate your fanbase... Especially since those things get passed from generation to generation... OK this is gonna be a dumb question/hijack but I never really understood this in that Fever Pitch movie... If a guy like that couldn't sell the games he couldn't attend to help pay the bill... How did a public school teacher afford tix that cost like 20k a year?

It was a draft for who went with him to the games not who he sold the tickets too.

Fenway
09-25-2006, 03:10 PM
It was a draft for who went with him to the games not who he sold the tickets too.

Fever Pitch had some good lines

You love the Red Sox, but have they ever loved you back?

I can bitch and moan about the Red Sox ticket policy but in the end I have no choice, it is not like they would miss me as a customer

The Dude
09-25-2006, 03:17 PM

The Red Sox system is called Replay

plenty of seats up fror grabs for the Devil Rays series this week :tongue:

http://replay.tickets.com/buy/TicketResaleServlet?orgid=21714&agency=RSOX_REPLAY

Wow, I wish I was a Red Sox fan.:rolleyes:

daveeym
09-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Fever Pitch had some good lines

You love the Red Sox, but have they ever loved you back?

I can bitch and moan about the Red Sox ticket policy but in the end I have no choice, it is not like they would miss me as a customer
The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers.

Everything changes and It's silly to attack your fan base.

INSox56
09-25-2006, 04:29 PM
LOL you guys really should do some research...I sell on Stubhub all the time. You don't have to personally deliver your tickets anywhere...You sell your first set of tickets, you register online for a delivery pickup with a note to bring a bunch of envelopes with them. Fedex guy shows up at your WORKPLACE if you so chose, hands you the envelopes (for future sales), you print out your label and slap it on the envelope. He says "thank you" and you say "no, thank YOU".

The only "work" you had to do was to get up from your chair, walk to the printer, cut the label at the dotted line, and sit down. Oh, I forgot the effort of handing the envelope to the Fedex employee. :rolleyes:

NoNeckEra
09-25-2006, 04:44 PM
LOL you guys really should do some research...I sell on Stubhub all the time. You don't have to personally deliver your tickets anywhere...You sell your first set of tickets, you register online for a delivery pickup with a note to bring a bunch of envelopes with them. Fedex guy shows up at your WORKPLACE if you so chose, hands you the envelopes (for future sales), you print out your label and slap it on the envelope. He says "thank you" and you say "no, thank YOU".

The only "work" you had to do was to get up from your chair, walk to the printer, cut the label at the dotted line, and sit down. Oh, I forgot the effort of handing the envelope to the Fedex employee. :rolleyes:
I agree it's a nice system, but with the exception of a few Sox games, there was a glut of tix for sale every game, and by game day, they were usually going for under face value. Bottom line: It was a buyers market.

IspepAloc
09-25-2006, 04:45 PM

I'm sorry, but that is way too much work for me.

Seriously though, I've gotten better returns from TicketExchange selling compared to StubHub. But I will definatley look at things differently next season trying to figure the best bang for my buck for the games I can't attend.

IowaSox1971
09-26-2006, 03:17 AM
I've purchased tickets this year twice from Ticket Exchange. I like the arragement. It's very easy to use. The prices were generally better there than on Stubhub. Additionally, I know that the tickets on the exchange are direct from season ticket holders. I don't know where a ticket from Stubhub came from.

I also have purchased tickets from the ticket exchange, and it's very convenient. I purchased my tickets at face value or slightly over face value. I have no problem with the team being involved with this if the tickets are being sold close to face value. I think then that the team is providing a valuable service to fans -- both sellers and buyers.

However, the team should not permit people to charge ridiculous prices for tickets. When that occurs, the team is legitimizing scalping. The team should let the less-reputable sites do that.

If season-ticket holders can't go to a game, they should not be able to use a team-affiliated site to get more than the face value of a ticket.

jenn2080
09-26-2006, 07:23 AM
I also have purchased tickets from the ticket exchange, and it's very convenient. I purchased my tickets at face value or slightly over face value. I have no problem with the team being involved with this if the tickets are being sold close to face value. I think then that the team is providing a valuable service to fans -- both sellers and buyers.

However, the team should not permit people to charge ridiculous prices for tickets. When that occurs, the team is legitimizing scalping. The team should let the less-reputable sites do that.

If season-ticket holders can't go to a game, they should not be able to use a team-affiliated site to get more than the face value of a ticket.

So rip off other fans just not ours?:rolleyes:

ewokpelts
09-26-2006, 09:18 AM
i sold a pair of cubs sox tickets for $125 each on the ticketexchange.
I KNOW that I didnt rip off a sox fan.
The money went stright to my aco****, which i used to buy my cubs/sox group tickets.
all's well...

as for stubhub.....the buyer has to pay shipping EVEN IF he has to pick them up from the scalper zone on 32nd and wells.
not cool.
the buyer pays fees up the wazoo in "fees" and shipping
the seller has to pay fees...what gives?

ticket exchange for me.
then craigslist or the wsi exchange

MrRoboto83
09-26-2006, 10:21 AM

Why not, we are the ones that are spending thousands of dollars on the Sox, I think we have the right to make a little bit of it back.

CLR01
09-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Why not, we are the ones that are spending thousands of dollars on the Sox, I think we have the right to make a little bit of it back.

Right and if the Sox raise prices to a game or Soxfest people cry like 3 year olds. It's ok for the fans to rip off other Sox fans but not the Sox. We're all about keeping it affordable for working class families.

IowaSox1971
09-27-2006, 12:40 AM

If you want to make more than face value, you should have to go to Stub Hub or another site that is not affiliated with the team.

I think one of the most disgraceful things going on in sports today is when the Cubs scalp their own tickets. The Sox ticket exchange thing certainly is not as bad as what the Cubs do, but it is similar in one respect: The Sox get a cut of some tickets that are being scalped at far above face value. That is wrong.

I don't have a problem with the team setting up a service to prevent tickets from not being used. Many season ticket holders can't go to every single game, so the team should let them be able to get their face-value money back for games they can't attend. But the team should put a reasonable limit on what can be charged for tickets sold through the service. If the team is getting 10 percent from this service and Ticketmaster is getting 10 percent, then the maximum allowable markup should be 20 percent. There is no way someone should use this service to charge $250 for a $40 ticket. Leave that for the other sites.

ewokpelts
09-27-2006, 12:51 AM
If you want to make more than face value, you should have to go to Stub Hub or another site that is not affiliated with the team.

I think one of the most disgraceful things going on in sports today is when the Cubs scalp their own tickets. The Sox ticket exchange thing certainly is not as bad as what the Cubs do, but it is similar in one respect: The Sox get a cut of some tickets that are being scalped at far above face value. That is wrong.

I don't have a problem with the team setting up a service to prevent tickets from not being used. Many season ticket holders can't go to every single game, so the team should let them be able to get their face-value money back for games they can't attend. But the team should put a reasonable limit on what can be charged for tickets sold through the service. If the team is getting 10 percent from this service and Ticketmaster is getting 10 percent, then the maximum allowable markup should be 20 percent. There is no way someone should use this service to charge $250 for a $40 ticket. Leave that for the other sites.it's what the market is willing to bear..better the sox get %10 than them deciding to raise ticket prices(again)...**** stubhub and **** scalpers....i used the money from selling to stupid cubs fans to pay for my playoff tickets, and by extension, next year's tickets

SoxFan78
09-27-2006, 09:02 AM
There is no way someone should use this service to charge $250 for a $40 ticket. Leave that for the other sites.

If someone is dumb enough to pay $250 for a $40 ticket, then more power to them.

INSox56
09-27-2006, 11:58 AM
If someone is dumb enough to pay $250 for a $40 ticket, then more power to them.

Same for people who sell imaginary video game items or characters on ebay for hundreds of dollars. People call the sellers dorks and pathetic...no, it's the idiots buying it! LOL