jacobwalls
09-23-2006, 04:53 PM
What a comeback... COME ON ORIOLES!

Fungo
09-23-2006, 04:55 PM
Nice game Chuck.

veeter
09-23-2006, 04:56 PM
Just nice to see them win a game. I looove to watch young players play. Great job Haeger and Sweeney.

Kub_Killer_15
09-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Haegar did AWESOME!:supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

vernhillssoxfan
09-23-2006, 04:58 PM
I was at the game they gave Haeger his first start. His knuckle ball had almost no movement on it.

Today Haeger looked untouchable. I love the knuckle ball.

Justagirl
The glass is half full again *yay*! It was nice to see an exciting game for a change. :D: :bandance:

jacobwalls
Orioles have the tieing run on second

Soxworldchamps
If there was ever a must-win game...

Can someone give me the details? Gameday isn't working...

Go Sox!

ondafarm
09-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Haeger's first win. Will he get a beer shower?

jacobwalls
09-23-2006, 05:00 PM

Go Sox!
4-3 Twins Guerrier pitching.. 2 outs man on second for Gomez

Cellview22
09-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Go Orioles! 4 1/2 would be sweet!!

JUribe1989
09-23-2006, 05:01 PM
Fantastic game by the Sox!

Great to see everyone besides BA come up with huge hits when they needed to. This was a total team effort if there ever was one.

jacobwalls
09-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Tie game.. 4-4 tie in the 5th

Kub_Killer_15
09-23-2006, 05:02 PM
Tie game..

Twins are slipping:smile:

October26
09-23-2006, 05:03 PM

Go Sox!

Sox win 11-7!

2 hour rain delay (kudos to all the sox fans who stayed at the Cell)!

Haeger pitched his heart out after the rain delay and kept us in the game!

Paulie hit a 2 run homer in the bottom of the 8th to give us the lead!

Then the boys scored 3 insurance runs to keep me from biting all my nails off!

Bobby Jenks closed it out in the 9th!

Sox win, Sox win! High Five

rookie
09-23-2006, 05:04 PM
What a comeback... COME ON ORIOLES!

I feel silly thinking about the Twins, but they can lose often from now until the end as far as I am concerned.

Farmer and Singleton seemed to be getting a little optimistic when the Sox were coming back from behind. And not just about the game, but about our playoff chances.

You think Ozzie said anything to the team while in the clubhouse during the rain delay? After that rain delay something inside of them seemed to wake up a bit.

Justagirl
09-23-2006, 05:04 PM

Go Sox!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/
Scroll down to the right and click on the Minnesota/Baltimore Game Channel link.

Myrtle72
09-23-2006, 05:05 PM
What a crazy game today... So great to see them comeback like that.

this may sound silly to some of you, but I don't normally get to watch the postgame shows because I live in Va. And I'm in Chicago right now visting family and I was excited because I'd actually get to see a Sox postgame show this time - but I'm assuming since it's been delayed so much with the programing, they're not going to show it? I'm not getting it on Fox right now.

Anyway, GO ORIOLES!!!

JorgeFabregas
09-23-2006, 05:05 PM
Birds tie it. Sox fans have a small bit of hope.

Frontman
09-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Well, here's to hoping its "the impossible" about to happen. Can the Sox still be in it? I hope so. All I know is that myself, my brother, my sister, and my wife are going to tomorrows game, which still matters, since the Sox are STILL ALIVE!!!

Awesome comeback, awesome pitching from Chuck. (Notice none of us are risking spelling his last name wrong!) Bobby gave us a quick 9th. Hopefully, let's see a White Sox winner tomorrow, and the day after that, and after that, etc.

Come on, let's all start singing.

"Doon't STOP! Believin!!!!!!!!!! Hold on to that feellllin' yeah!" :wink: :gulp: :party:

Front

jacobwalls
09-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Possile senerio..
Twins lose today..
Sox win tomorrow
Twins take 2 of 4 from KC
Sox Sweep Indians
Sox Sweep Twins
Sox win 1 game playoff.

Cellview22
09-23-2006, 05:07 PM
I feel silly thinking about the Twins, but they can lose often from now until the end as far as I am concerned.

Farmer and Singleton seemed to be getting a little optimistic when the Sox were coming back from behind. And not just about the game, but about our playoff chances.

What were they saying? I'm just hoping and praying we're 3 games behind going into Minnesota. Even if we don't make the playoffs, I'll be happy we made it to Minnesota with meaningful gams.

JorgeFabregas
09-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Keep in mind that the Twins have been almost as bad as the White Sox of late. Hopefully they can continue to tank and the White Sox can streak.

soxinem1
09-23-2006, 05:11 PM
I like this headline better:

'After making a Meche of things Friday, the White Sox refuse to knuckle-under and come back to beat the Mariners!'

oeo
09-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Possile senerio..
Twins lose today..
Sox win tomorrow
Twins take 2 of 4 from KC
Sox Sweep Indians
Sox Sweep Twins
Sox win 1 game playoff.

Hopefully this game gets them going. They SHOULD have won the last two games, and it could be 2.5 games after today.

jacobwalls
09-23-2006, 05:12 PM

'After making a Meche of things Friday, the White Sox refuse to knuckle-under and come back to beat the Mariners!'
Probably not enough room

jacobwalls
09-23-2006, 05:13 PM
6-4 Twins

October26
09-23-2006, 05:15 PM

:rolling: Good one!

rookie
09-23-2006, 05:17 PM
What were they saying? I'm just hoping and praying we're 3 games behind going into Minnesota. Even if we don't make the playoffs, I'll be happy we made it to Minnesota with meaningful gams.

Basically they seemed to think that the rally helped the Sox to get their pep back in their step. They said that if the real Sox are back, then watch out because they can pull this off.

I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist of it. I just remembered being shocked that they would actually think we still have a chance. (I didn't want to listen to the tv announcers. I figure if I have to listen to anyone bemoan what has happened to the Sox, I'd rather it come from our broadcasters).

jacobwalls
09-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Bedard sucks

Myrtle72
09-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Bedard sucks

Well, the Orioles aren't all that good in general. I am definitely an O's fan, especially because they're the closest AL baseball team to where I live - but.. I know their limitations. They've won the last two games they've played, kinda got it out of their system.

I really hope I'm wrong though!

Any word on JD? He didn't seem seriously hurt, but you never know...

October26
09-23-2006, 05:22 PM
6-4 Twins
:(: C'MON O's!

You know the Twinkies saw that Sox final score flash on the scoreboard in Baltimore and are diggin a little deeper to pull their game out. Our "tragic" number is at 4. I'm gonna enjoy this Sox win today, but the playoffs - unfortunately they're out of our control, right now.

Here's hopin' for a miracle.

Go Sox! :)

MarySwiss
09-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Well, all we can do at this point is win and hope that we can go into Minny within striking distance. The chances are slim, but until we're eliminated, we're the defending World Series Champs. We played like it today; let's just hope we can continue to do so. Those two losses to Seattle really, really hurt, though. We could have been so much closer. :(:

October26
09-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Well, the Orioles aren't all that good in general. I am definitely an O's fan, especially because they're the closest AL baseball team to where I live - but.. I know their limitations. They've won the last two games they've played, kinda got it out of their system.

I really hope I'm wrong though!

Any word on JD? He didn't seem seriously hurt, but you never know...

Update on JD - Ozzie said in his postgame radio interview that Hermie (trainer) is working on JD right now but that the injury does not appear to be serious.

I hope JD gets to play tomorrow during the home season finale.

My heart stopped when Fox showed JD falling at home plate. JD is such an important part of our team now and for the future.

jacobwalls
09-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Orioles score..Tieing run at 2nd

ajismyhero
09-23-2006, 06:28 PM
Just got back from the game! So exciting to see a comeback especially after sitting through the implosion of the grounds crew!

jacobwalls
09-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Twins are digging the nail deeper into the Coffin.

JB98
09-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Haeger gets his first major-league victory, and congratulations to him. He earned it. That was an outstanding performance that picked up the whole club. Since his recall, he has made a case for a job on the 2007 staff.

Konerko and Thome powered the offense today. They were scoring runs and knocking in runs, and that's what we need. If the middle of the order doesn't get it done, odds are it isn't going to get done. Nice base hit by Sweeney in the eighth inning to put the final nail in the coffin. I like that kid. He's going to be a good player.

Gload 0-for-5 with a K
Anderson 0-for 3 with 3 Ks

It was a tough day for WSI's two favorite players. :D:

SluggersAway
09-23-2006, 07:04 PM
Gload 0-for-5 with a K
Anderson 0-for 3 with 3 Ks

It was a tough day for WSI's two favorite players. :D:

My vote for snarkiest post of the day.

Myrtle72
09-23-2006, 07:52 PM
I'm sad that there aren't more people posting in this forum today.

I know that the Sox have all but been mathematically eliminated - and I am not faulting anyone for being angry or finding more productive things to do with their time.

But that doesn't stop me from being sad that there aren't more people here to celebrate this victory, especially since it came after so much anticipation and frustration.

Guess that's it for now. Let's hope they win tomorrow, too.

cheezheadsoxfan
09-23-2006, 08:04 PM
I'm sad that there aren't more people posting in this forum today.

I know that the Sox have all but been mathematically eliminated - and I am not faulting anyone for being angry or finding more productive things to do with their time.

But that doesn't stop me from being sad that there aren't more people here to celebrate this victory, especially since it came after so much anticipation and frustration.

Guess that's it for now. Let's hope they win tomorrow, too.

I'm still here. Had to work, didn't know they had pulled it out until around 5:00. No matter what happens, I just glad to see them playing well again.
Cheered me up since I came into work to to a chorus of Brewer & Cub fans serenading me with "NaNaNaNa, Hey,Hey, Good Bye". Asked them to show me their WS Rings.:tongue:

southside rocks
09-23-2006, 08:36 PM
That was a nice game -- sure cheered me up!

Can I just say, I loooooooove Charlie Haeger. :D: How great is it gonna be to have him in the bullpen as a long reliever. I hope that's in 2007!

Sweeney got a hit? Cool! I missed part of the 8th, I was running errands and out of the car when that happened. I like him, too, and I hope he's got a place on a Sox team of the very near future.

Um, Anderson has looked really crappy lately ... Don't know what his average is, don't care, I am not seeing productive at-bats and haven't for the last month, actually. Not to start up the "Brian Anderson Walks On Water" thing (again), but I do not see why Ozzie should be very pleased with the kid's performance. I am an Anderson fan, but even I can see that he needs some work ... winter ball will be a good thing for him.

Go Sox! Win tomorrow, it's the last home game of the year, send the fans away happy!

SluggersAway
09-23-2006, 08:40 PM
I think Haeger could make his way into the starting five.

If he is on, he is lights out.

ChiSox Fan 68
09-23-2006, 08:41 PM
Just got back from the game (after a stop at Jimbo's). We went into this game depressed but wow, we had a great time witnessing a great comeback! Too little, too late, I know, but it was fun. It is my last game of the season - I'm sad - about what could have been and how I wish I could relive last year all over again. Thanks, Sox, see you next year. I'll miss ya....

Hitmen77
09-23-2006, 08:46 PM
I hate it when the Sox win because the post game threads don't have as many posts.

cheezheadsoxfan
09-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Doing some cleaning in my office and what turns up the all my newspapers fror last year with the WS win. Made me a little sad but also cheered me up for some reason. I really think we'll all get to feel that good again, not this year, but soon.

SteveFerguson
09-23-2006, 09:02 PM
I was listening to The Score tonight on "The last call" and they brought up a very good point. They were talking about how they could identify the realistic Sox fans and the ones who were still happy about last year. The ones who are stuck on last year use the argument "Well at least we won it last year." Yeah that is great and all, but after the team that was put together playing under .500 in the 2nd half of the season is unacceptable. Yeah we won it last year, but with the talent we have we failed to make the playoffs.

With the team KW put together, we should have started a dynasty like the Yankees, Redsox, Cardinals, and teams like that. But no... We aren't even going to go the the playoffs. It really bothers me that people keep using last year, as an "it is ok" we didn't make the playoffs. So talk about last year all you want... It was great and it will always be one of the greatest moments of my life, but that doesn't excuse a crappy performance from a great ball club. Inexcusable. It is sickening in fact how this team isn't even going to make the playoffs.

Huisj
09-23-2006, 09:03 PM
I was at the game they gave Haeger his first start. His knuckle ball had almost no movement on it.

Today Haeger looked untouchable. I love the knuckle ball.

It seemed like his ball was moving a lot in that game against the Angels--he just kept leaving it up up up and couldn't control it. On TV they sure looked like they moved.

The glass is half full again *yay*! It was nice to see an exciting game for a change. :D: :bandance:

I'm not quite so sure if you can say the glass is half full . . . maybe you can say that it's got an ounce left in it rather than saying it's basically empty.

JB98
09-23-2006, 09:11 PM
That was a nice game -- sure cheered me up!

Can I just say, I loooooooove Charlie Haeger. :D: How great is it gonna be to have him in the bullpen as a long reliever. I hope that's in 2007!

Sweeney got a hit? Cool! I missed part of the 8th, I was running errands and out of the car when that happened. I like him, too, and I hope he's got a place on a Sox team of the very near future.

Um, Anderson has looked really crappy lately ... Don't know what his average is, don't care, I am not seeing productive at-bats and haven't for the last month, actually. Not to start up the "Brian Anderson Walks On Water" thing (again), but I do not see why Ozzie should be very pleased with the kid's performance. I am an Anderson fan, but even I can see that he needs some work ... winter ball will be a good thing for him.

Go Sox! Win tomorrow, it's the last home game of the year, send the fans away happy!

I hope all the Ozzie-hating Anderson apologists took a real close look at today's game. Ozzie often sits BA against power right-handers because it just isn't a good matchup for him. If a guy like Felix Hernandez can throw his slider down and away, Anderson will wave at it and miss EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's an automatic K, and it's a graphic example of why Mackowiak has gotten a ridiculous number of starts in CF this year.

Of course, it's just much easier to assail Ozzie and discuss conspiracy theories about personal vendettas and egos than it is to realize Anderson doesn't play every day because he has a long way to go as a hitter.

Myrtle72
09-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Of course, it's just much easier to assail Ozzie and discuss conspiracy theories about personal vendettas and egos than it is to realize Anderson doesn't play every day because he has a long way to go as a hitter.

There's always gotta be someone to blame.

southside rocks
09-23-2006, 09:24 PM
I hope all the Ozzie-hating Anderson apologists took a real close look at today's game. Ozzie often sits BA against power right-handers because it just isn't a good matchup for him. If a guy like Felix Hernandez can throw his slider down and away, Anderson will wave at it and miss EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's an automatic K, and it's a graphic example of why Mackowiak has gotten a ridiculous number of starts in CF this year.

Anderson's average with RISP is .205. With RISP and two outs, it's .189.

Honestly, with runners on, I don't want to see him at the plate. And I'm a fan of the guy!

He absolutely has a long way to go as a hitter. The potential is there, but that's all it is right now -- potential. He'll come around; I think it's good for him to have gone through this in his first full year.

ws05champs
09-23-2006, 09:45 PM
It really bothers me that people keep using last year, as an "it is ok" we didn't make the playoffs. So talk about last year all you want... It was great and it will always be one of the greatest moments of my life, but that doesn't excuse a crappy performance from a great ball club. Inexcusable. It is sickening in fact how this team isn't even going to make the playoffs.

I find the thought of viewing the DVD's of last year's team depressing. I look at this September and find little consolation in what we did last year. Maybe they will be more uplifting in the winter but not now.

I really hope the Sox can finish strong in this last week. Even if they don't make the playoffs it will at least show they have some heart and pride. Today's comeback and the pitching of Haeger really were bright spots.

Frontman
09-23-2006, 09:49 PM
I was listening to The Score tonight on "The last call" and they brought up a very good point. They were talking about how they could identify the realistic Sox fans and the ones who were still happy about last year. The ones who are stuck on last year use the argument "Well at least we won it last year." Yeah that is great and all, but after the team that was put together playing under .500 in the 2nd half of the season is unacceptable. Yeah we won it last year, but with the talent we have we failed to make the playoffs.

With the team KW put together, we should have started a dynasty like the Yankees, Redsox, Cardinals, and teams like that. But no... We aren't even going to go the the playoffs. It really bothers me that people keep using last year, as an "it is ok" we didn't make the playoffs. So talk about last year all you want... It was great and it will always be one of the greatest moments of my life, but that doesn't excuse a crappy performance from a great ball club. Inexcusable. It is sickening in fact how this team isn't even going to make the playoffs.

Now "Last Call" is the show that has the two Cubs apologists on it, right? Jason and Matt (although Matt wasn't on tonight, if I recall.) You mean that show?

Sorry, but just because two guys on a weekend evening radio show says its not realistic and *gasp* BAD to still hold the 05 WS as a part of the Sox fanbase I'm not about to start pulling a "GUT THE TEAM!! KW let us down! Fire Ozzie!!!" or whatever other BS fools want to throw out there. I base my love of the Sox on myself and what they have or haven't done; not because of a guy talking into a microphone says I need to be "real."

Being "real" is reality. Reality is that the Sox aren't eliminated. Are the odds against the Sox making it? Oh HELL yeah. And when they are (or aren't) THEN we can start the blame game. THEN we can start the pissed off, "bitch because we didn't win it all.....AGAIN" stuff. Until then, you can choose to enjoy or not enjoy Sox baseball all you want. But you, Jason G, Dan Patrick, Mike Murphy, Chris Berman, whoever else; you all can be as negative as you'd like. But the reality of it is that if you talk dynasty, meaning successful or repetitive wins of the championship, you HAVE to accept fans who will hold onto 05. You HAVE to hold onto their accomplishment and use it as a measuring stick for this season.

It's like I said in another thread. Sox fans can't have it both way. If you hold this team in light of the 05 season, then you have to accept that fans also will hold onto the positives of the 05 season. The second anyone uses the word "dynasty" is exactly what that means. A sports dynasty includes previous years successes in the mix. If you dismiss the 05 champion, then there is no such thing as a defending champion. There is no such thing as a dynasty, as each year MUST (by "Last Call" definition) let go of last years success and all that matters is this year.

And to me, that's just plain BS. If "Last Call" and the Score as a whole want to be realistic, have them remove all references to the Sox as being the "World Champion White Sox."

As far as I'm concerned (as well as a quite a few others), they ARE the World Champs until elimination, and if that comes, then they become the "2005 World Champions."

Front

Martinigirl
09-23-2006, 10:05 PM

I do believe my biggest issue with BA not playing everyday is the fact that the person that replaced him several times a week this season gave up more runs with his defense than his bat could compensate for.

And trying to find an explanation for that is what has lead many people to develop "conspiracy theories" as to why any manager would continually put games in jeopardy by having an inferior centerfielder play so many games in a season.

Myrtle72
09-23-2006, 10:11 PM
I agree about Haegar today - he looked freggin' awesome.

But I want to be cautious before getting my hopes up. He did awesome today and he seems to have great control over that knuckleball - but what happens when he has an "off" day and his knuckeball is actually a hitable 72 mph pitch? Like every pitcher, he's going to have his off days - and I'm sure that when he tosses a 72 mph ball down the middle of the plate, well, it'll become very similar to batting practice.

So, yeah, he's awesome and I'm so excited to have him on the team. He seems to be thriving and I hope that he can become a regular bullpen member, if not a starter with time. I just want to err on the side of being cautious in this case, I think maybe I'm tired of being dissapointed.

Really, not trying to be negative here. Just trying not to get my hopes up - he looks so darn good and it would just be so easy.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2006, 10:22 PM
For what it's worth:

I spoke with a member of the Sox front office tonight on a totally unrelated matter and before we discussed the reason they asked me to call them, I asked about Kenny and if he 'was ready to break something' after the way the team has packed it in the last two weeks.

The person told me Kenny is 'extremely upset' with the team's performance. I then jokingly said that 'you guys are going to be really busy this off season aren't you?'

The person replied, 'we are.'

Lip

Frontman
09-23-2006, 10:36 PM
For what it's worth:

I spoke with a member of the Sox front office tonight on a totally unrelated matter and before we discussed the reason they asked me to call them, I asked about Kenny and if he 'was ready to break something' after the way the team has packed it in the last two weeks.

The person told me Kenny is 'extremely upset' with the team's performance. I then jokingly said that 'you guys are going to be really busy this off season aren't you?'

The person replied, 'we are.'

Lip

Oh for that, there is NO doubt. I'm just wonder if all the suspected "targets" will be the only ones, or will a huge surprise go down. I don't think Ozzie is going anywhere, but if its not just the Pods/Uribe/Freddie/Strengthen the Bullpen talk and we see like a Burehele/Crede/McCarthy go, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

I certainly don't see a full gutting of this team. I just wish I knew who wouldn't be going anywhere for a while, as I got a gift certificate for tomorrow's game and want to get a jersey! ;)

Front

southside rocks
09-23-2006, 10:43 PM
I agree about Haegar today - he looked freggin' awesome.

But I want to be cautious before getting my hopes up. He did awesome today and he seems to have great control over that knuckleball - but what happens when he has an "off" day and his knuckeball is actually a hitable 72 mph pitch? Like every pitcher, he's going to have his off days - and I'm sure that when he tosses a 72 mph ball down the middle of the plate, well, it'll become very similar to batting practice.

So, yeah, he's awesome and I'm so excited to have him on the team. He seems to be thriving and I hope that he can become a regular bullpen member, if not a starter with time. I just want to err on the side of being cautious in this case, I think maybe I'm tired of being dissapointed.

Really, not trying to be negative here. Just trying not to get my hopes up - he looks so darn good and it would just be so easy.

Do you remember Wood and Wilhelm? Or were they before your time?

Yes, when a knuckleball isn't knuckling, the pitcher gets lit up. It happened this week, IIRC, to Tim Wakefield.

But a good knuckleball pitcher who has command of the pitch and knows how to throw it will have bad outings fairly infrequently. The catch is that it takes some time, usually, to get that command. Haeger is really young to be a knuckleball pitcher in the bigs. It may take a few more years before he's ready to be a starter.

In the meanwhile, long relief is a good spot for him, if he comes up to the big team in '07. If he's off on a given day, he gets the hook, just like any other reliever.

I'm really optimistic about him, but I don't see him in the starting rotation in 2007, I see him in the pen.

Myrtle72
09-23-2006, 10:44 PM
I certainly don't see a full gutting of this team. I just wish I knew who wouldn't be going anywhere for a while, as I got a gift certificate for tomorrow's game and want to get a jersey! ;)

Front

Front -

I have a feeling Konerko, Dye, Pierzynski, and Crede will all be safe bets.

I want a jersey too! lol

southside rocks
09-23-2006, 10:51 PM
I do believe my biggest issue with BA not playing everyday is the fact that the person that replaced him several times a week this season gave up more runs with his defense than his bat could compensate for.

I'm on the other side of this: I think that Anderson's woeful failure to hit in the clutch, repeatedly, gave away more runs than Mack's silly footwork and glovework in CF did.

But I think that based on my own observation; I doubt we could find any stats to quantify our respective positions.

cheezheadsoxfan
09-23-2006, 10:52 PM
Do you remember Wood and Wilhelm? Or were they before your time?

Yes, when a knuckleball isn't knuckling, the pitcher gets lit up. It happened this week, IIRC, to Tim Wakefield.

But a good knuckleball pitcher who has command of the pitch and knows how to throw it will have bad outings fairly infrequently. The catch is that it takes some time, usually, to get that command. Haeger is really young to be a knuckleball pitcher in the bigs. It may take a few more years before he's ready to be a starter.

In the meanwhile, long relief is a good spot for him, if he comes up to the big team in '07. If he's off on a given day, he gets the hook, just like any other reliever.

I'm really optimistic about him, but I don't see him in the starting rotation in 2007, I see him in the pen.

I'm old enough to remember Wood & Wilhelm. That's true about it taking a long time to get command, but the upside is once you do you can pitch for a LONG time. I would have to check but I believe both Wood and Wilhelm pitched well into their 40's.

Frater Perdurabo
09-23-2006, 10:54 PM

This Ozzie-hating Anderson apoloigist remembers when Anderson took power right-hander Felix Hernandez deep twice on August 26, 2005. (http://chicagosports.sportsdirectinc.com/baseball/mlb-boxscores.aspx?page=/data/mlb/results/2005/recap278673.html)

:bandance:

southside rocks
09-23-2006, 10:54 PM
I'm old enough to remember Wood & Wilhelm. That's true about it taking a long time to get command, but the upside is once you do you can pitch for a LONG time. I would have to check but I believe both Wood and Wilhelm pitched well into their 40's.

I believe Wilhelm was pitching at age 46. In relief, but still ... 46. :tongue:

Not only that, but look at today, how Haeger was able to pitch, break 2 hours for a rain delay, and pitch again -- and still be effective! Love it.

cheezheadsoxfan
09-23-2006, 11:00 PM
I believe Wilhelm was pitching at age 46. In relief, but still ... 46. :tongue:

Not only that, but look at today, how Haeger was able to pitch, break 2 hours for a rain delay, and pitch again -- and still be effective! Love it.

Yup, lot easier on the arm.:smile:

100 Year Itch
09-23-2006, 11:13 PM
Refresh my memory...

This has to be the team's first come from behind -- three or more runs -- victory in over a month.

SteveFerguson
09-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Now "Last Call" is the show that has the two Cubs apologists on it, right? Jason and Matt (although Matt wasn't on tonight, if I recall.) You mean that show?

Sorry, but just because two guys on a weekend evening radio show says its not realistic and *gasp* BAD to still hold the 05 WS as a part of the Sox fanbase I'm not about to start pulling a "GUT THE TEAM!! KW let us down! Fire Ozzie!!!" or whatever other BS fools want to throw out there. I base my love of the Sox on myself and what they have or haven't done; not because of a guy talking into a microphone says I need to be "real."

Being "real" is reality. Reality is that the Sox aren't eliminated. Are the odds against the Sox making it? Oh HELL yeah. And when they are (or aren't) THEN we can start the blame game. THEN we can start the pissed off, "bitch because we didn't win it all.....AGAIN" stuff. Until then, you can choose to enjoy or not enjoy Sox baseball all you want. But you, Jason G, Dan Patrick, Mike Murphy, Chris Berman, whoever else; you all can be as negative as you'd like. But the reality of it is that if you talk dynasty, meaning successful or repetitive wins of the championship, you HAVE to accept fans who will hold onto 05. You HAVE to hold onto their accomplishment and use it as a measuring stick for this season.

It's like I said in another thread. Sox fans can't have it both way. If you hold this team in light of the 05 season, then you have to accept that fans also will hold onto the positives of the 05 season. The second anyone uses the word "dynasty" is exactly what that means. A sports dynasty includes previous years successes in the mix. If you dismiss the 05 champion, then there is no such thing as a defending champion. There is no such thing as a dynasty, as each year MUST (by "Last Call" definition) let go of last years success and all that matters is this year.

And to me, that's just plain BS. If "Last Call" and the Score as a whole want to be realistic, have them remove all references to the Sox as being the "World Champion White Sox."

As far as I'm concerned (as well as a quite a few others), they ARE the World Champs until elimination, and if that comes, then they become the "2005 World Champions."

Front

Front,

First off, don't you dare compare me to Dan Patrick, Berman, or others like that. Don't start that ****. I am actually a fan of the team. We are 3 games away from being eliminated. I'm sorry you are obviously a Pollyanna, but the guys on the show did make good points. I never once meant to dismiss what was done last year. I just think it is a shame that people let it go how awful this team performed in the 2nd half last year, because the Sox won it all last year. If anything they shouldn't let them off the hook at all, due how good this team was supposed to be, and how they faltered so badly in the 2nd half. The fact of the matter is, this team should have been in the playoffs. KW put a team together that was supposed to be amazing, and somehow now we (unless a miracle happens) will not make the playoffs. If they pull of the biggest miracle in quite sometime, I will be the happiest man alive. If not, we will all be left still scratching our heads.

slobes
09-23-2006, 11:29 PM
Refresh my memory...

This has to be the team's first come from behind -- three or more runs -- victory in over a month.

I wouldn't doubt it at all.

Charlie Haeger may be the real deal. That'd be a great to have a knuckleballer out on the mound every 5 days.

StillMissOzzie
09-24-2006, 12:15 AM
What a long day today was, but my last regular season game of the year was a sucess. The Sox finally showed some signs of life.
1) We got to sing the "na na hey hey" song one more time in a meaningful context. Yeah, they were still down 7-6 at the time, but showing some fight coming from behind.
2) That entire 4 run outburst in the 6th came with two outs.
3) Haeger's knuckleball looked unhittable, several Mariner batters looked like they were flailing at butterflies at the plate.
4) Hey, a Joe Crede sighting!

On the downside, two more baserunning blunders by Uribe may have punched his one-way ticket to Palookaville. I'll miss his gun of an arm, but the Sox need some grey matter out there, too. More first inning runs given up by Buehrle, too.

C'mon, O's!

SMO
:gulp:

SluggersAway
09-24-2006, 12:30 AM
This Ozzie-hating Anderson apoloigist remembers when Anderson took power right-hander Felix Hernandez deep twice on August 26, 2005. (http://chicagosports.sportsdirectinc.com/baseball/mlb-boxscores.aspx?page=/data/mlb/results/2005/recap278673.html)

:bandance:

jb98, I think you just got, what we call around the internets, owned.

SluggersAway
09-24-2006, 12:48 AM
If a guy like Felix Hernandez can throw his slider down and away, Anderson will wave at it and miss EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's an automatic K, and it's a graphic example of why Mackowiak has gotten a ridiculous number of starts in CF this year.

Just for clarification purposes:

"EVERY SINGLE TIME."

"It's an automatic K..."

Haha.

Owned indeed.

Grzegorz
09-24-2006, 05:40 AM
Yeesh, one game and Charlie Haeger is the savior.

As a knuckleball pitcher I demand to see more; the sample size of his starts are not worth anything in terms of analysis.

I do not care what he did in the minors; I remember the old saying "don't tell me what you've won, tell me who you've beaten".

If he's in the big league I demand big league results.

Can he field his position, can he consistently throw his pitch for strikes, & can he hold runners on base?

These are all questions that need to be answered in spring training before Haeger is even to be considered a legitimate option as a reliever or starting pitcher.

Frontman
09-24-2006, 07:24 AM
Front,

First off, don't you dare compare me to Dan Patrick, Berman, or others like that. Don't start that ****. I am actually a fan of the team. We are 3 games away from being eliminated. I'm sorry you are obviously a Pollyanna, but the guys on the show did make good points. I never once meant to dismiss what was done last year. I just think it is a shame that people let it go how awful this team performed in the 2nd half last year, because the Sox won it all last year. If anything they shouldn't let them off the hook at all, due how good this team was supposed to be, and how they faltered so badly in the 2nd half. The fact of the matter is, this team should have been in the playoffs. KW put a team together that was supposed to be amazing, and somehow now we (unless a miracle happens) will not make the playoffs. If they pull of the biggest miracle in quite sometime, I will be the happiest man alive. If not, we will all be left still scratching our heads.

Fair enough. Don't call me a Pollyanna and we'll be equal. I'm also a fan of the team. Also don't quote a show that does "Gramma trivia" as a source of intelligent baseball conversation. They've said the same things all second half (starting pitching is what lost us this season), but if they actually *gasped* watched or listened to Sox broadcasts, it ISN'T the starting pitching that's let us down the back half as much as the entire team hasn't gelled and all four areas (starting pitching, bullpen, offense and defense) did what its supposed to together. Matt and Jason work a weekend show for a very good reason, and that they are entertaining for a weekend evening crowd. If they knew enough of what they were talking about, they probably would be working weekdays. But they are certainly not what I'd call baseball experts.

Noone said they didn't play awful down the stretch. Noone is excusing it. But if you want to quote facts, the fact of the matter is that its been over 10 years since there has been back to back World Series champions. The fact of the matter is that they are still not out of it. Odds against them? Sure. Odds were against them repeating period. I don't give a damn what SI said (they had the Sox winning it all back in April) but you can't go by what sports writers say. You can't go by what a team is "on paper." There is a reason games have be played, as any number of things can go right or wrong. (What were the odds of JD slipping in the mud prior to yesterdays game?)

It also isn't a "fact" that they should of been in the post season. A fact is something unarguable. They didn't play to the level it took to get there. The fact is that the Tigers (save for a few days back in the 1st half of the season) have had a lock on the division title. That might change, but the Tigers played better ball longer than the Sox did. The Twins surged and past us up. THEN we faltered and couldn't gain ground when opportunity presented itself. Did they play bad? Yes. But is it a winning season (over .500)? Yes.

I'm sorry, but until they are out of it, I'm rooting for them to keep winning. When they are out of it, then I'll start calling for players to be traded. (I'd start with a name that begins with a Br- and ends with an andon; as his sorry "Future of the White Sox pitching" is just plain BS.)

Front

Dan H
09-24-2006, 08:53 AM
I'm just glad they won. The season has been over for some time, but the daily poudings were getting to me. I'd like to see the team win 90. It would be the first time a Chicago baseball team won 90 in consecutive seasons since the White Sox did it from '63-'65.

soxinem1
09-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Basically they seemed to think that the rally helped the Sox to get their pep back in their step. They said that if the real Sox are back, then watch out because they can pull this off.

I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist of it. I just remembered being shocked that they would actually think we still have a chance. (I didn't want to listen to the tv announcers. I figure if I have to listen to anyone bemoan what has happened to the Sox, I'd rather it come from our broadcasters).

We as fans have to be realistic and stop getting happy after winniing one game in a series. I found myself rationalizing this way too. They have lost way too many games to way too many teams that they had no business losing to.

Don't get me wrong, I hope they wake up to a miraculous recovery, but there will be MANY reasons when this season is over to cite who, what, when, where, and why the blame is.

And forget the announcers on network games. They are there to keep the interest level high and even make a bed of roses of a situation that may well be a lot filled with poison ivy. If they got up there and pulled some 'The White Sox season is over' crap, it would have drove the network and MLB crazy.

SteveFerguson
09-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Fair enough. Don't call me a Pollyanna and we'll be equal. I'm also a fan of the team. Also don't quote a show that does "Gramma trivia" as a source of intelligent baseball conversation. They've said the same things all second half (starting pitching is what lost us this season), but if they actually *gasped* watched or listened to Sox broadcasts, it ISN'T the starting pitching that's let us down the back half as much as the entire team hasn't gelled and all four areas (starting pitching, bullpen, offense and defense) did what its supposed to together. Matt and Jason work a weekend show for a very good reason, and that they are entertaining for a weekend evening crowd. If they knew enough of what they were talking about, they probably would be working weekdays. But they are certainly not what I'd call baseball experts.

Noone said they didn't play awful down the stretch. Noone is excusing it. But if you want to quote facts, the fact of the matter is that its been over 10 years since there has been back to back World Series champions. The fact of the matter is that they are still not out of it. Odds against them? Sure. Odds were against them repeating period. I don't give a damn what SI said (they had the Sox winning it all back in April) but you can't go by what sports writers say. You can't go by what a team is "on paper." There is a reason games have be played, as any number of things can go right or wrong. (What were the odds of JD slipping in the mud prior to yesterdays game?)

It also isn't a "fact" that they should of been in the post season. A fact is something unarguable. They didn't play to the level it took to get there. The fact is that the Tigers (save for a few days back in the 1st half of the season) have had a lock on the division title. That might change, but the Tigers played better ball longer than the Sox did. The Twins surged and past us up. THEN we faltered and couldn't gain ground when opportunity presented itself. Did they play bad? Yes. But is it a winning season (over .500)? Yes.

I'm sorry, but until they are out of it, I'm rooting for them to keep winning. When they are out of it, then I'll start calling for players to be traded. (I'd start with a name that begins with a Br- and ends with an andon; as his sorry "Future of the White Sox pitching" is just plain BS.)

Front

Fair enough. I won't call you that. Oh and I completely agree with you about Brandon. He is not the future of Whitesox pitching and he has been way overrated.