PDA

View Full Version : Manny demands trade ( again )

Fenway
09-23-2006, 03:11 PM
This could be it for Manny in Boston. His refusal to play even though Boston still had a chance at the wild card has finally enraged Red Sox fans.

Would you want him in Chicago?

While the Red Sox crumbled when Ramírez went on hiatus -- last night was the 22d game out of 30 Ramírez has missed since taking himself out of the last game of the Yankee massacre Aug. 21, during which he has been paid $1.918 million (calculated on his base salary of $15 million this season) -- he had the audacity this week, through agent Greg Genske, to reiterate to the Red Sox his desire to be traded this winter.

Time to close curtain on Ramírez's act (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/09/23/time_to_close_curtain_on_this_act)

Do you suppose that 20 years from now, Manny Ramírez will feel even the slightest bit of remorse for the way he quit on his Red Sox teammates in 2006, refusing to honor the code that you do all within your power to play hurt. (By Gordon Edes,TodaysGlobe("9/23/06","Boston Globe") Today's GlobeBoston Globe)

JUribe1989
09-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Any team would want Manny. I don't care if you make the the chemistry argument, but if you are saying you don't want a guy that gives you .300/40 homers/100+ RBI just because he has an attitude problem you are lying.

jdm2662
09-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Would I like his numbers, sure. He's a damn good hitter. Do I want another butcher in left field and a player that doesn't give a rats ass. No thanks.

MarySwiss
09-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Would I like his numbers, sure. He's a damn good hitter. Do I want another butcher in left field and a player that doesn't give a rats ass. No thanks.
Well said. I almost didn't open this thread because I am so sick and tired of Manny's bull**** that I don't even want to READ about him, let alone have to watch him play regularly for my team.

The Racehorse
09-23-2006, 03:17 PM
This could be it for Manny in Boston. His refusal to play even though Boston still had a chance at the wild card has finally enraged Red Sox fans.

Only if he can pitch.

Kub_Killer_15
09-23-2006, 03:21 PM
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/8865/mannybeingmannyib5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

southside rocks
09-23-2006, 03:29 PM

The real question is 'would Ozzie and Kenny want him in Chicago?' and based on the way they've assembled teams over the last 3 years, I'd say the answer to that is an emphatic NO.

How often does Ozzie have to say that he wants guys who aren't big stars but are team guys; guys who play for the name on the front of the uniform, not the name on the back.

Manny Ramirez isn't by any stretch of anyone's imagination a guy like that.

Besides, he spends way too much time on the DL. We saw enough of that with Frank, meaning no disrespect to the Big Hurt.

TDog
09-23-2006, 03:41 PM
Only if he can pitch.

I'm sure he could pitch. Jose Canseco could pitch. And Toonces the cat could drive a car.

Ramirez might make a good DH, someone who comes in and takes his swings and drives in runs. Of course, the White Sox have two first basemen a the heart of their batting order and aren't in the market for a DH.

buehrle4cy05
09-23-2006, 03:49 PM
We have enough slow guys who are great hitters on our team. He wouldn't be worth it.

The Racehorse
09-23-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm sure he could pitch. Jose Canseco could pitch. And Toonces the cat could drive a car.

Thanks.

Ramirez might make a good DH, someone who comes in and takes his swings and drives in runs. Of course, the White Sox have two first basemen a the heart of their batting order and aren't in the market for a DH.

Exactly.

JorgeFabregas
09-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Great player, but big salary + cancer = no thanks.

Domeshot17
09-23-2006, 05:17 PM
In a heart beat. You see what he does for David Ortiz??????? Give me one of the top 3 hitters in baseball with all the baggage in the world. The ENTIRE team admits clubhouse chemistry is over rated. Manny is a big game hitter, big time, he would be playing for Ozzie Guillen, not Terry "Im everyones friend" Francona.

Redsox pay some of the salary, I will take him every time.

NardiWasHere
09-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Dye, Thome, Manny, Konerko, Crede in the middle of the order=

:party: :party: :o: :o: :happybday :supernana: :supernana: :worship: :yup: :drunken:

oeo
09-23-2006, 05:38 PM

Time to close curtain on Ramírez's act (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/09/23/time_to_close_curtain_on_this_act)

Do you suppose that 20 years from now, Manny Ramírez will feel even the slightest bit of remorse for the way he quit on his Red Sox teammates in 2006, refusing to honor the code that you do all within your power to play hurt. (By Gordon Edes,TodaysGlobe("9/23/06","Boston Globe") Today's GlobeBoston Globe)

We already have a DH, sorry.

Domeshot17
09-23-2006, 07:08 PM
I think manny is better OF then given credit for. He has one of the strongest arms of any OF, and wouldnt be any worse then podsucknick (and yes, even with the win, im still really frusterated with this team, the 3 year old temper tantrum and the "they suck" will end soon.

A. Cavatica
09-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Actually, this is the kind of big roll of the dice that KW likes, especially when he can acquire an ex-Indian. Manny might respond well to a Latino manager and a lower-pressure market.

I can imagine a scenario that *might* work:

Konerko + Vazquez or Garcia or (shudder) Buehrle

-- for --

Manny + Youkilis + Hansen + cash

Youkilis becomes our leadoff hitter, so we improve our offense at two positions. McCarthy replaces the starter. Hansen gives us yet another power reliever.

Does Boston have anyone else we would remotely want? Would we be interested in Wakefield (to mentor Haeger)? Would we take Clement or Foulke if the Red Sox paid the whole freight?

RadioheadRocks
09-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Would I like his numbers, sure. He's a damn good hitter. Do I want another butcher in left field and a player that doesn't give a rat's ass. No thanks.

Couldn't have said it better myself! Let "MANNY BE MANNY" elsewhere, TYVM!!!

Kub_Killer_15
09-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Actually, this is the kind of big roll of the dice that KW likes, especially when he can acquire an ex-Indian. Manny might respond well to a Latino manager and a lower-pressure market.

-- for --

Youkilis becomes our leadoff hitter, so we improve our offense at two positions. McCarthy replaces the starter. Hansen gives us yet another power reliever.

Does Boston have anyone else we would remotely want? Would we be interested in Wakefield (to mentor Haeger)? Would we take Clement or Foulke if the Red Sox paid the whole freight?

I will:puking:if Konerko gets traded to the RedSox

Flight #24
09-23-2006, 10:49 PM
Konerko ain't going anywhere. I don't see it after the Sox & Ozzie anointed him their captain and he achieved his 5-10 rights.

That said, as long as it doesn't require gutting the team elsewhere or trading so many prospects that you gut the future completely, there is almost no team in baseball that wouldn't be significantly better off with Manny replacing their current LF. That factors in his D. This isn't CF or SS, it's LF - arguably the easiest of the OF positions and the 2d easiest position on the field to field (to 1B).

If KW can get JR to add Manny to the payroll for the 1-2 years remaining on his deal, then :drool: . I lived with Dennis Rodman, Carl Everett and others, Manny's easy to deal with because he'll outperform almost every other player on the team and dramatically improve the offense.

But if they wouldn't consider taking on Abreu's deal, I doubt they'll take on Manny's (I say that unsure of how long his deal is - if it's 1-2 years, I could see it).

chaerulez
09-23-2006, 10:56 PM
I'd want Manny if the Sox were an offensively challenged team. They aren't. We need pitching. His attitude can be contained in the right situation (he sure didn't hurt the team in '04). Although I'd rather have him as a DH as he is Pods like in the field. Maybe worse. I don't understand why he hasn't been playing though? Is he hurt? Or is he just sitting out, can't the Red Sox refuse to pay him then?

jenn2080
09-23-2006, 10:57 PM
No thanks. I would not want him in his bad attitude in Chicago.

Fenway
09-23-2006, 11:33 PM

most Red Sox fans would accept that deal

RadioheadRocks
09-23-2006, 11:40 PM

I would **** a brick.

DumpJerry
09-23-2006, 11:53 PM

Yes, but not on the White Sox. Let him tear apart someone else's clubhouse.

Dye, Thome, Manny, Konerko, Crede in the middle of the order=

:party: :party: :o: :o: :happybday :supernana: :supernana: :worship: :yup: :drunken:
Now that would set some serious MLB records. Records for slowest three in a row ever. Catchers all over the AL would love. No worries for pitch-outs.

Also, haven't we learned at least one lesson from this year (and others with similar HR numbers)? YOU LIVE BY THE HOME RUN, YOU WILL DIE BY IT.

Nellie_Fox
09-24-2006, 01:20 AM
No way I want Manny being Manny in a Sox uniform. He's a terrible defensive player, he's a head case, he doesn't care about his teammates. Screw him.

StillMissOzzie
09-24-2006, 01:32 AM
Hmmmmmm...the Sox could acquire a surly, egocentric, slugging outfielder? Been there, done that. Did everyone else forget the Albert Belle experiment? How'd that one work for the Sox?

No thanks.

SMO
:(:

RadioheadRocks
09-24-2006, 01:34 AM
Hmmmmmm...the Sox could acquire a surly, egocentric, slugging outfielder? Been there, done that. Did everyone else forget the Albert Belle experiment? How'd that one work for the Sox?

No thanks.

SMO
:(:

You can also add George Bell to that equation.

NardiWasHere
09-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Also, haven't we learned at least one lesson from this year (and others with similar HR numbers)? YOU LIVE BY THE HOME RUN, YOU WILL DIE BY IT.

I've learned this lesson...
YOU LIVE BY A COLLECTION OF THE BEST HITTERS IN THE MAJOR LEAGUES, YOU WILL DIE BY A COLLECTION OF THE BEST HITTERS IN THE MAJOR LEAGUES.

Oh no! No pitchouts! Do you know how fustrating it would be for a pitcher to try and pitch through that middle of the order? Come on now...

Obviously, if someone told me I had the option of adding another stud offensive weapon, or a stud starter, I take the starter.... but I dont understand people who think the Sox wouldn't want guys like Manny or ARod.... its almost as if WSI is afraid of big talent.

Sox-o-matic
09-24-2006, 12:04 PM
YOU LIVE BY A COLLECTION OF THE BEST HITTERS IN THE MAJOR LEAGUES, YOU WILL DIE BY A COLLECTION OF THE BEST HITTERS IN THE MAJOR LEAGUES.

Oh no! No pitchouts! Do you know how fustrating it would be for a pitcher to try and pitch through that middle of the order? Come on now...

Obviously, if someone told me I had the option of adding another stud offensive weapon, or a stud starter, I take the starter.... but I dont understand people who think the Sox wouldn't want guys like Manny or ARod.... its almost as if WSI is afraid of big talent.

We have Dye, Thome, and Konerko all capable of 35-40 HR's or more. We have Crede capable of 30 and Iguchi, AJ, Uribe, and Anderson all capable of 20 or more. That means that if our starting lineup hits 230 home runs alone we should not be surprised, and that also means that we don't want any more power.

The best home run hitters in a great year average something like a home run every 12 or 13 AB's. That usually means every 3 games or so we get a home run. Swinging for the fences during the majority of those other AB's does nothing to move a runner over, while the best bunters/situational hitters can get a runner over more often than not.

A big part of the reason the Sox won last year and failed miserably this year has to do with the ability to manufacture runs. If I ran the Sox and had Steinbrenner's money, my line up wouldn't look like the Yankees even though I could afford it. I think if KW had unlimited resources as well he wouldn't have a Yankees type lineup because he understands the reasons why the freaking Twins have beaten us in the standings year after year.

Britt Burns
09-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Manny, ummm....no thanks. Getting him goes against everything that made the Sox so successful last year. Great chemistry, no big eogs in the clubhouse, good defense...his stat lines look great, but can anyone imagine him and Ozzie getting along past the first time OG calls him out on something? He would immediately demand a trade...again.

TDog
09-24-2006, 02:12 PM

-- for --

Trading for Manny Ramirez will not require the sacrifice of much talent. When the White Sox traded Dick Allen, the prize was announced as a player to be named later. The player turned out to be Jim Essian, who had played 21 games and had a career average of .125.

Ramirez doesn't want to play for the Red Sox. Other teams don't want to pay his contract. Do the math.

A. Cavatica
09-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Trading for Manny Ramirez will not require the sacrifice of much talent. When the White Sox traded Dick Allen, the prize was announced as a player to be named later. The player turned out to be Jim Essian, who had played 21 games and had a career average of .125.

Ramirez doesn't want to play for the Red Sox. Other teams don't want to pay his contract. Do the math.

Well, the White Sox sure as heck won't be taking on that contract. The Red Sox will have to swallow a big piece of Manny's contract to move him, and in return they'll expect talent.

I don't want anyone to think I want to trade Konerko for Manny, I'm just saying that the only way it works is if we move two big salaries and get back Manny and cheap talent (and/or cash). I think the trade I suggested matches up pretty well on a talent and needs basis. Obviously the chemistry is the issue.

TDog
09-24-2006, 02:50 PM
Well, the White Sox sure as heck won't be taking on that contract. The Red Sox will have to swallow a big piece of Manny's contract to move him, and in return they'll expect talent. ....

I don't think the White Sox want Ramirez enough to effectively trade talent a discount on his contract.

NardiWasHere
09-24-2006, 06:17 PM
We have Dye, Thome, and Konerko all capable of 35-40 HR's or more. We have Crede capable of 30 and Iguchi, AJ, Uribe, and Anderson all capable of 20 or more. That means that if our starting lineup hits 230 home runs alone we should not be surprised, and that also means that we don't want any more power.

The best home run hitters in a great year average something like a home run every 12 or 13 AB's. That usually means every 3 games or so we get a home run. Swinging for the fences during the majority of those other AB's does nothing to move a runner over, while the best bunters/situational hitters can get a runner over more often than not.

A big part of the reason the Sox won last year and failed miserably this year has to do with the ability to manufacture runs. If I ran the Sox and had Steinbrenner's money, my line up wouldn't look like the Yankees even though I could afford it. I think if KW had unlimited resources as well he wouldn't have a Yankees type lineup because he understands the reasons why the freaking Twins have beaten us in the standings year after year.

Ok, I totally understand and agree with a lot of what you are saying... but here are some thoughts I have on the situation...
-The Yankees WIN with that lineup. In fact, they are the favorites to win the World Series this year.
-Who says that with the addition of another huge bat, we would not be able to manufacture runs? If we have capable hitters in front and behind the big guys...
-We relied a lot on the Home Run in 2005.
-I don't understand why people complained about the 2006 lineup's speed... Are you guys telling me that Thome is a big difference compared to Carl/Frank speedwise?
-That lineup would score a ton of runs... Our problem this year was pitching. You pair 2k5's staff with this fantasy lineup or even 2k6's... that equals a lot of wins
-Manny isn't the homerun or nothing type player a lot of people here are acting like he is.... If I knew nothing at all about him except for what I read here, I would think he hits 35 solo homers and bats .230....
-Manny on the Sox is sooo remote... What gets me is how some people on this board are so quick to dissmiss him. Production is production. Left field hasn't really given us much the past two years. When we won, Pods was a fun player... he was a catalyst.... but if you can find a SS who is able to leadoff, he is totally replaceable.
- I guess I'm just fustrated with this past season, but just because we won with the lineup we did in 2k5, doesn't mean that is the only type of lineup a team can win with. There are so many different types of lineups that can win. The only constant need is good, solid pitching. I feel like a lot of people (including myself) fell in love with the idea of a scrappy group of hitters succeeding.... Its kind of like how people last year were acting as if the Detroit Pistons were a group of hardworking no-names when in reality, they had a starting five that consisted of 4-5 allstar caliber players.

I don't know if that makes any sense... just venting

SoxEd
09-24-2006, 06:30 PM
What team in its right mind would put up with a guy who causes such ructions for so much of the time?

The guy might be a great hitter, but in my expert opinion, he'd destroy any 'team' atmosphere in any clubhouse about 35 seconds after walking in to it.

The only place on any team for a personality/ego that gargantuan is in the Manager's seat.

cheezheadsoxfan
09-24-2006, 07:57 PM
What team in its right mind would put up with a guy who causes such ructions for so much of the time?

The guy might be a great hitter, but in my expert opinion, he'd destroy any 'team' atmosphere in any clubhouse about 35 seconds after walking in to it.

The only place on any team for a personality/ego that gargantuan is in the Manager's seat.

Really. Ozzie and Manny in the same clubhouse?? Don't think so!!

cwsfannick
09-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Didn't the Sox try this type of experiment already? Albert Belle years equaled no championships and a terrible clubhouse. I say no thanks.

A. Cavatica
09-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Didn't the Sox try this type of experiment already? Albert Belle years equaled no championships and a terrible clubhouse. I say no thanks.

Belle != Manny.

Belle was, by all accounts, one of the meanest SOBs ever to walk the earth.

Manny is self-centered, maybe simple-minded, but at least he's good-natured.

southside rocks
09-24-2006, 09:08 PM
I just watched the Sox Pride video again tonight, and in the first part of it they talk about how KW and Ozzie built the '05 Sox, and how people were taken aback when Mags got the boot, and CLee. And in the video, KW makes some comment about how the organization is serious about having a certain type of team.

Meaning they want no players who put themselves first and the team second.

Then last year they went out and got Jim Thome (who is Mr. Team Guy), and let Frank Thomas go, which is totally in line with that program.

So I think Manny will end up being Manny somewhere other than at US Cellular Field. :D:

chisoxmike
09-24-2006, 09:10 PM

No. Not at all.

Sox-o-matic
09-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Ok, I totally understand and agree with a lot of what you are saying... but here are some thoughts I have on the situation...
-The Yankees WIN with that lineup. In fact, they are the favorites to win the World Series this year.

The Yankees do win (regular season games) with huge home run hitters filling out their lineup, but just look at the teams that won the WS recently:
The Angels were scrappy, the Marlins were scrappy, the Red Sox had a great front of their rotation and had the ability to manufacture runs, our Sox last year were scrappy...

And yes the Yanks are probably favored to win it all again this year but IMO I attribute that more to:
- the overall weakness of the entire NL (including the Mets who don't have enough starting pitching)
- the lack of starting pitching in MN w/ Liriano and Radke being out
- the lack of ability to manufacture key runs and weak bench in Detroit

I think if Oakland can ever break out of that 'we don't like to win when it counts' thing, they have the ability to sweep the Yanks.

-Who says that with the addition of another huge bat, we would not be able to manufacture runs? If we have capable hitters in front and behind the big guys...
-We relied a lot on the Home Run in 2005.
-I don't understand why people complained about the 2006 lineup's speed... Are you guys telling me that Thome is a big difference compared to Carl/Frank speedwise?
-That lineup would score a ton of runs... Our problem this year was pitching. You pair 2k5's staff with this fantasy lineup or even 2k6's... that equals a lot of wins

Another big bat doesn't help with manufacturing runs because:
-He's slow and becomes a DP risk for the other lumbering HR hitters behind him
-No manager in the world, no matter how stupid, is ever going to ask a future HOF in Ramirez to bunt a runner over or hit the ball to the right side

Every team in baseball relies on the home run. That is the sole purpose of a middle of the order, driving in big runs with big hits. Last year we relied on the home run just like everyone else, and just like this year, but the difference was we had the ability to manufacture a run or two to put us ahead and *MOST IMPORTANTLY* had a bullpen that could hold a lead for us.

I think people complain about our speed more than our philospohy, but I think our philosophy is the problem. Thome hitting 3rd most of the year I thought took away a lot of the opportunities we had last year even with Carl Everett. I'm sure someone will disagree with me on this, but if the Sox have a runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs in a tight game, I'd rather have Carl at the plate than Thome. IMO, Thome is the second worst situational hitter in our lineup behind Uribe, and actually now that I think about it, Uribe is probably better than Thome at that too. I think Jim was a very important part of the team this year but would have been better suited hitting lower. Also, Pods not getting on base and not running with confidence when he did get on really hurt Tadahito's value to the lineup because now Tadahito couldn't do what Ozzie put him there to do.

All this I think contributed to our poor offensive philosphy this year, but in defense of the offense, that philosophy was brought on by our abysmal starting rotation and bullpen. Had our pitching been sufficient we would have been able to try and do other things besides clog the bases and go for the home run.

-Manny isn't the homerun or nothing type player a lot of people here are acting like he is.... If I knew nothing at all about him except for what I read here, I would think he hits 35 solo homers and bats .230....
-Manny on the Sox is sooo remote... What gets me is how some people on this board are so quick to dissmiss him. Production is production. Left field hasn't really given us much the past two years. When we won, Pods was a fun player... he was a catalyst.... but if you can find a SS who is able to leadoff, he is totally replaceable.
- I guess I'm just fustrated with this past season, but just because we won with the lineup we did in 2k5, doesn't mean that is the only type of lineup a team can win with. There are so many different types of lineups that can win. The only constant need is good, solid pitching. I feel like a lot of people (including myself) fell in love with the idea of a scrappy group of hitters succeeding.... Its kind of like how people last year were acting as if the Detroit Pistons were a group of hardworking no-names when in reality, they had a starting five that consisted of 4-5 allstar caliber players.

I don't know if that makes any sense... just venting

Production is production, yes, but in a game that matters against a tough pitcher like Santana, I'd rather have the weak hitting multi-talented slap hitter-base stealer-pitcher disruptors at the plate than a lineup full of guys who think that as long as they keep swinging for the fences they can homer off one of the best pitchers in baseball.

spiffie
09-25-2006, 09:51 AM

You forget, for a certain portion of WSI, this is their dream lineup:
1. Scott Podsednik
2. Nick Punto
3. Carl Everett
4. Aaron Rowand
5. Lew Ford
6. Juan Pierre
7. Tony Graffanino
8. Joey Gathright
9. Chone Figgins

Sure they would hit 20 HR and have a team OBP somewhere around .320 or so and be lucky to manufacture 2 runs a game, but they would be bunting and running all day long and then we'd be guaranteed to win since teams win when they run fast!

Sox-o-matic
09-25-2006, 09:56 AM
You forget, for a certain portion of WSI, this is their dream lineup:
1. Scott Podsednik
2. Nick Punto
3. Carl Everett
4. Aaron Rowand
5. Lew Ford
6. Juan Pierre
7. Tony Graffanino
8. Joey Gathright
9. Chone Figgins

Sure they would hit 20 HR and have a team OBP somewhere around .320 or so and be lucky to manufacture 2 runs a game, but they would be bunting and running all day long and then we'd be guaranteed to win since teams win when they run fast!

Exaggerating a little?

I think most people here realize that you need balance in a lineup.

*EDIT

Ichiro
Rollins
Dye
Konerko
Thome
Crede
Pierzynski
Anderson
Iguchi

works just fine for me

spiffie
09-25-2006, 10:41 AM
Exaggerating a little?

I think most people here realize that you need balance in a lineup.

*EDIT

Ichiro
Rollins
Dye
Konerko
Thome
Crede
Pierzynski
Anderson
Iguchi

works just fine for me
Only the slightest bit of hyperbole in my lineup. Actually the lineup you post would work fine for me.

ktssox
09-25-2006, 11:18 AM
Any team would want Manny. I don't care if you make the the chemistry argument, but if you are saying you don't want a guy that gives you .300/40 homers/100+ RBI just because he has an attitude problem you are lying.

I don't want Manny because he has an attitude problem, and I'm not lying.

Fenway
09-25-2006, 01:43 PM
The Boston Globe writer who threw Manny under the bus Saturday just posted some fan reaction to his column.

I want to thank all of you -- well, to be honest, almost all of you -- who have written in the last 48 hours, responding to the column I wrote on Manny Ramirez that appeared in Saturday's paper and then the posting I made in the Extra Bases blog (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2006/09/crossing_the_li.html) yesterday after a reader called my home regarding the column.

I understand folks care passionately about the Red Sox. For a sportswriter, that's part of the appeal of working in this market.
I do take exception, however, to a reader taking it upon himself this weekend to call me at home to express his objection to my column that appeared in the Globe on Saturday. What to me makes that conduct even more reprehensible was that the person who called me did so when he had to know I was in Toronto with the ballclub. What was his hope, that he could harass a family member?

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/askedes/09_25_06/?page=full

palehozenychicty
09-25-2006, 02:16 PM
As the World of Manny turns....:rolleyes:

I want Mags back
09-25-2006, 02:40 PM

**** no

Oblong
09-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Wasn't he part of the ARod to Boston deal? I recall Maggs and Arod going to Boston and Manny ending up in Chicago. Nomar would have gone to Texas. That's how I remember it. Maybe Maggs went to Texas and Nomar would have ended up in Chicago?

Flight #24
09-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Wasn't he part of the ARod to Boston deal? I recall Maggs and Arod going to Boston and Manny ending up in Chicago. Nomar would have gone to Texas. That's how I remember it. Maybe Maggs went to Texas and Nomar would have ended up in Chicago?

IIRC, the only way KW was making that deal was if he could also do a Valentin to Seattle for Garcia trade (at the time, Jose was considered a big-hitting SS).

So it would have been net for the Sox: Maggs+McCarthy+Valentin for Nomar+Scott Williamson+Garcia. (But the Sox would have kept the untouchable Jeremy Reed!)

Tough to say how that would have worked out. Nomar missed the early part of the year, but he was back down the sstretch when the Sox missed both Thomas & Maggs.

RadioheadRocks
09-27-2006, 07:41 PM
We're all missing the obvious thing here. Let's say he does come to the White Sox... how many times would he demand a trade once he's here???

Murphy10
09-27-2006, 08:14 PM
No way i would want manny on my time. Sure, he's a great player but there is something about him and his pajamas i don't like.