PDA

View Full Version : Who's caught a homer?

soxwon
09-23-2006, 03:41 PM
Anyone catch a home run ball
or a foul ball?

who hit it?

Beer Can Chicken
09-23-2006, 03:46 PM
I caught a foul ball hit by Raul Ibanez back when he was on KC.

ChiSoxGirl
09-23-2006, 03:54 PM
In one of the first games after 9/11, I caught a Doug Mientkiewicz foul ball at the Sox game. My friend got up to use the bathroom and while he was gone, Mientkiewicz fouled one off and it landed on the ground right where he was sitting, so I grabbed it!

Chisox003
09-23-2006, 04:04 PM
When I was 8, I was sitting in the bleachers on a sunny Sunday afternoon game. Danny Tartabul stepped to the plate and hit a bomb to left. I put up my glove and....boom, right in me noggin.

I got some free tickets and baseballs out of it, but some ass took off with the real one. I still can't believe that happened.

ssirish317
09-23-2006, 06:42 PM
In one of the first games after 9/11, I caught a Doug Mientkiewicz foul ball at the Sox game. My friend got up to use the bathroom and while he was gone, Mientkiewicz fouled one off and it landed on the ground right where he was sitting, so I grabbed it!

I don't know if I'd consider that catching it...:smile:

I've never been lucky enough get a foul ball, not to mention a home run ball...but my 12 year old cousin caught a Martinez HR in a game vs. the Tribe a few weeks ago. He's had tons of people tell him that they saw him on TV. To his credit, he is an optimist. He told his old man, "It wasn't a Sox homer, but at least Buehlre held this ball." I think the Sox lost that game like 7-0.

ChiSoxGirl
09-23-2006, 08:10 PM
I don't know if I'd consider that catching it...:smile:

Eh... why nit-pick? :wink:

Domeshot17
09-23-2006, 08:11 PM
dont know if this counts

my grandpa was a big cubs fan when he was younger, and with his CO they would get front row seats by the cubs pen. I had just learned the baseball lingo (musta been 3 or 4) and was tellin Lee Smith to throw strikes, and he kept laughing, he signed the ball he was warming up with and handed it to me and asked if I could be quiet please so he could warm up.

few years ago i was sitting first row behind the opposing teams on deck circle, the bat boy tossed a ball and I caught it.

IlliniSox4Life
09-23-2006, 08:39 PM
I can't remember if my mom was pregnant with me or my younger brother, but at a game at the old park, my family was there, a bomb got hit right behind them, some guy tried to barehand it and his hand got smacked real hard. The ball fell down and landed between my moms back and her seat, and she just grabbed it. Nobody was going to try and wrestle it away from a pregnant lady, so I give myself or my brother an assist on that one.

slobes
09-24-2006, 12:10 AM
I've caught about 8 foul balls from various minor league and semi-pro game, but I've never caught a homer and I've never gotten a ball at a major league game.

Come to think of it, I've never even been close.

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-24-2006, 12:24 AM
The closest I ever got to one was a Frank Thomas bomb into the bullpen last year. I was leaning forward in the second row of the Sox bullpen and if it had only been a few feet farther...

DrummerGeorgefan
09-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Summer 2003 day game between Cleveland and the Sox. Frank had just hit a shot into the bullpen, so i celebrated by buying my friend (his first baseball game) a beer. As Bobby gave me the beers, Mags hit a line shot. I was looking at the ball thinking it was a double in the gap when i realized it was still rising. The line shot hit me in the shoulder, spilling the beers all over me and the ball continued back 2 rows where it was caught by a nun with a glove. I've never felt as bad as I did after that....its the closest i've ever been to a ball and lost my beer. Best part though is that moment created one of the most rampant German whitesox fans.

LongLiveFisk
09-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Foul ball hit by Frank Thomas in '93 at Comiskey Park
Foul ball hit by John McDonald of the Indians in '02 at Jacobs Field
Batting practice home run hit by some Twins player in '04 at the Cell

Standing Ovation
09-24-2006, 09:37 PM
In '04, the wife and I were sitting in front row bleachers. Timo hit the warning track with one, it bounced up and I caught it (ground rule double). Tons of friends saw me and called. I was able to watch "my snag" on mlb.com for months.

Fox-To-Aparicio
09-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Foul Ball Oakland Collisium. 2002

Magglio Ordonez Foul Ball.

I made the news all weekend and the scoreboard replay during the game multiple times. I just got back to my seat and I had a beer for me and my wife, as well as a soft pretzel. I handed my wife her beer and the pretzel and tore myself off a piece. The ball came in so fast I shoved the pretzel in my mouth and jumped up and cought the ball bare handed left handed with the pretzel in my mouth and the beer in my right hand.

AWESOME Catch if I say so myself. I still have the ball and will remember it the rest of my life. I wish I had the tape though.

Glen

Mr.1Dog
09-25-2006, 04:17 PM
Never caught a foul or a homer or even picked one up after. The closest I have been was a girl 2 rows behind me getting her nose split in half by a foul off Jose Valentin's bat.

Palehose13
09-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Caught a Frank Thomas Foul ball in 1992 or 3 (The years are starting to blur for me)
and actually got him to sign it later that year.

Caught two pucks (different games) at Wolves games.

Jerko
09-25-2006, 04:36 PM
2 of my friends have each caught a Konerko homer, one last year, once this year. MY closest encounter with a homerun was when Borchard's record blast sailed over my head as I was filling my face with nachos thinking that "nothing was gonna happen with Borchard up". :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::redface: Picked the worst time to try to get a jalepeno to stay on that damn chip.

INSox56
09-25-2006, 05:22 PM
Earlier this year playing TX. My cuz and I were sitting front table in the sports bar. Iguchi hit one deep and DeRosa caught it right in front of the fence....his momentum made him crash into the fence and into my cousin's arm (whilst I screamed DEROSA YOU SUCK and other such nonsense). So we were about a foot and a half from getting a homer there (you could see me screaming at him on the replays, pretty funny). Odd thing was that it didn't look like it was even gonna come close to us, I saw it in the air, thought nah, routine...then those thoughts turned to holy crap....STAND UP AND YELL AT HIM! hahaha

Other than that, a few foul balls have landed w/in 10 ft or so when I grabbed seats behind visitor's dugout.

SoxBullpen'06 :(
09-25-2006, 10:20 PM
I have caught three foul balls in my lifetime. All at the New ballpark opened since it opened in '91. My father has had tickets forever. And before him my grandfather had season tickets. We sit in section 137, row 11, seats 1 ans 2. ANNNNNYHOW....The only chance I ever get at a foul ball is off a bounces off the box seats panel. I've been quite lucky as to whom hit my the three foul balls. Coincidentally they have all been from the visiting team: David Ortiz, Jim Thome (when he played in Cleveland) and Alfonso Soriano. I was one row too low and couple people to my right away from Juan Uribe's game one HR of the divisional playoffs last year in the 14-2 blowout win over Boston in game one. I was in the bleachers that day for a change. That all seems way too long ago. Oh well....Sox will be back and ready to go i '07. Count on it.

Chips
09-25-2006, 10:27 PM
I know a homer landed under cwsfannick's seat the other night.

I also know that robiwho took a Jason Michael's foul ball off the thigh a few weeks ago.

I got nothing.

zach23
09-26-2006, 09:38 AM
I got Thome's 40th HR ball last Monday, and a few year's ago I got one that Carlos Lee hit.
I also got a ball during batting practice for the All Star game in 2003. It has the HR derby logo on it.

I got tons of batting practice balls in the old park. We used to go early and stand in the upper deck. We were pretty much the only ones up there and would just walk over and pick them up. Then we would use them to play lob-league in Armour park.

Hangar18
09-26-2006, 03:32 PM
I was with my nephew when he caught Homer# 2 off of Jeff Bagwell during the SOX/Stros interleague game. I was thisclose to catching Frank Thomas' historic #400 Homer (landed just to my left) but I instead held my "400" sign up, in tribute to him.

DannyCaterFan
09-26-2006, 04:24 PM
I believe it was back in 1972, Minnesota was in for a series against the Sox at Old Comiskey, and I was a twenty year old out in the left field stands. I caught one of Harmon Killebrew's last home runs. I was also lucky enough to get Harmon and the Sox Pitcher, Wilbur Wood to sign it after the game that night. I still have it too.

Rocky Soprano
09-26-2006, 04:30 PM
A couple years ago, while sitting with coworkers, I snagged a Joe Borchard foul ball.

FielderJones
09-26-2006, 04:52 PM
The only ball I've ever taken out of a MLB park was tossed to me by Steve Trout, who was fielding BP fly balls at old Comiskey. Was close to Ross Gload's HR #2 this year, and barely missed a Tadihito Iguchi foul ball rebound off the club level.

SOXintheBURGH
09-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Got an Ed Sprague foul ball from Three Rivers Stadium.

MVP
09-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Chris Singleton foul ball in the upper deck behind home plate in 2000.

Murphy10
09-26-2006, 06:02 PM
I have gotten two balls at games, one was off a Scott podsednik foul ball to the screen, the ball boy ran and got it. Then he flipped it to me pretty sweet. I also had someone on the orioles flip a ball to me after he caught a timo Perez flyball. Plus that was on my birthday(pretty sweet).

My 11 year old cousin also attended the cubs Sox game with Aj's homer in the 9th. And when he walked out of the stadium after the game, some guy goes up to him and goes hey kid catch, and he catches the ball. Then the guy goes thats Aj's homerun ball. I've always like that story personally. Of course he had to give it back though.:D:

Deebs14
09-26-2006, 06:18 PM
I was at a game a few years ago down in Tampa visiting my pops, and we decided to go out to a Rays-Rockies game one afternoon. We got to our seats and saw that there were a few empty ones closer to the field behind home plate. So we weasled our way down there and before we could even sit down Aaron Miles hit a ****in missle right towards us and I had to save our beers from spilling all over. So I used my soft hands I used to have from my hot-corner days and snagged that badboy and saved the brews.

Caught a homer or two in batting practice, but have yet to do so in a game. I usually try to get tix around either the first of third base lines if the opportunity presents itself.

peelwonder
09-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Back in '99 My Wife(was my girlfriend at the time) sat in the 2nd row of Turner Field left field bleachers and got a screaming Andruw Jones line drive right at me...hit me in hands and dropped onto the field...Greg Vaughan picks it up and tossed it to me...an inning later Bret Boone hits one right over my head(got my hands on it) and lands in the seat next to my wife...was pretty unreal. Wife got the ball mounted and we have a videotape of the TBS broadcast from the game...

my 15 minutes of fame...

Also back in 88 almost got a Gary Redus Foul ball at the Old Comiskey....

ATLSOX
09-28-2006, 07:43 PM
I caught a three-run homer by Konerko on 9/2/01. The Sox were losing to the tribe 6-0 in the second and scored 8 runs in the bottom half of the inning to take the lead. Konerko's shot gave us the lead and the crowd went nuts! When I say I caught it, I mean I really caught it... barehanded. It actually left seam marks on my palm.

I was a mini-celebrity in the section for the next two or three innings. After I caught the ball I just started jumping up and down and nearly knocked my girlfriend (now wife) over. My buddy kept trying to give me a high five, but I was too busy doing my Kirk Gibson impersonation from the '88 World Series. I was shaking for about two innings because I couldn't believe it.

The kid in front of me was so excited that I gave him the ball. His Dad immediately gave it back to me. The kid was so disappointed and actually refused at first, but his Dad insisted. My wife and friend got all fired up at me for that. The funny thing is that my friend and I were just talking the inning before about how neither of us had even come close to getting a ball.

I went to the next SoxFest and got the ball signed. I had no idea when I went if Konerko was even there. I just stumbled upon a long line and asked someone what it was for. When the replied, "Konerko," I jumped in line. Number 499 out of 500. It was horrible, I begged my wife to let me get out of the line about three times, but she had already bought a display case. In the end, I guess it was worth it.

I can't tell you how many times I have told that story after a few beers. My wife always reminds me that she has never heard me talk about our wedding, but has heard that story about 100 times. I guess I should be a little embarrassed by that, but it was really cool!

Justagirl
09-29-2006, 09:16 AM
Kinda like the big fish that got away, I caught Paulies 2nd homerun on 9/24 (my birthday), but I didnt get enough grip and it bounced off my hand. In the top plays you could see me pushing the guy next to me because I missed it. I knew I should have brought a glove.