PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 9-24

Lip Man 1
09-23-2006, 12:31 PM
A few things today as I wonder if the Sox will even bother to show up against a garbage team.

September 24, 1919 - A 6 - 5 win over the St. Louis Browns clinches the pennant for the White Sox. Eddie Cicotte got the win. The Sox would beat out the Indians by three and a half games for the title.

September 24, 1969 - Sox owner Art Allyn sells the club to his brother John Allyn thwarting moves made by Kansas City Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt and Milwaukee’s "Bud" Selig (yes the same guy who’s now commissioner) to buy the team. Hunt wanted to move it to Dallas, Selig to Milwaukee.

September 24, 2000 - Despite losing to the Twins, the Sox clinch the Central Division Championship and would go on to finish the season with 95 wins, beating out Cleveland by five games. Jerry Reinsdorf shows up in the locker room and says that "he’s sure all Sox fans are now happy the team made the White Flag deal."

September 24, 2004 - The Sox hit their 221st home run of the season. It comes in a game against the Royals and breaks the record of 220 home runs set by the 2003 team.

Lip

STRETCH!!!
09-23-2006, 12:56 PM
September 24, 2000 - Despite losing to the Twins, the Sox clinch the Central Division Championship and would go on to finish the season with 95 wins, beating out Cleveland by five games. Jerry Reinsdorf shows up in the locker room and says that "he’s sure all Sox fans are now happy the team made the White Flag deal."

Talk about a classic example of sometimes the best thing to say is to say nothing at all.

my5thbench
09-24-2006, 10:04 AM
seems to me Reinsdorf looks pretty good to most of us now

jamokes
09-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Jerry seems to be willing to spend the money. Sometimes that works and sometimes(Cubs) it doesn't. He's given us hope.