PDA

View Full Version : Fan Appreciation Day

Cellview22
09-23-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm going to the game on Sunday for Fan Appreciation Day and wondering if they have anything planned to genuinely show appreciation for the fan support this year. With the highest attendance ever to pass through the gates for the White Sox, you'd think they'd do something special, besides the team posters for the first 20,000 fans. The fans have put a major dent in their wallets, fought the Dan Ryan nightmare, and put up with horrific play in the 2nd half.. yet I'll still stand and show my appreciation for a fun year.. despite my high blood pressure.. :redneck. Hopefully they show their appreciation to the fans.

SOXandILLINI
09-23-2006, 11:03 AM
i, for one haven't appreciated the play on the field for the better part of the year, and there is plenty of blame to go around. i will not be in attendance, because i do not appreciate this organization collecting interest on 21500 season ticket holders, my $2700 included. if you wanna get mad for a minute, sit down and do the math, on how much money the will accrue in interest. mind boggling. then they give us the screwgie about sox fest.

Parrothead
09-23-2006, 11:07 AM
Every year in the past they have given away prizes based on seat location. I don't know if they are doing that this year but I am guessing they are. I don't know what they giving away either. One year I know a guy who won a really nice watch. Either way I will be there to mourn the Sox and the the offical start of winter in my book (the last home baseball game).

areilly
09-23-2006, 12:53 PM
I seem to recall them giving out United tickets to a lot - maybe 100 - of random seats around the park last year.

Of course, those of us in the upper deck weren't so happy when it came time for the Scout Seaters to win... :redneck

On a related note: does anyone know what the "Fan Appreciation Packs" are that are available on Ticketmaster?

Chicken Dinner
09-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Maybe they should have a free bullpen dunk tank. Pick your pitcher and get him wet.

http://www.karscot.com/dunk4.gif

:cotts:
I'd be the wettest.

October26
09-23-2006, 07:06 PM
Maybe they should have a free bullpen dunk tank. Pick your pitcher and get him wet.

http://www.karscot.com/dunk4.gif

:cotts:
I'd be the wettest.

:kneeslap:

I'll be first in line for the plunking! I don't want to see Neal Cotts pitch again this year - please - Ozzie - please!

OzzieBall2004
09-23-2006, 07:12 PM
On a related note does anyone know what the "Fan Appreciation Packs" are that are available on Ticketmaster?

I believe they are $15 upper reserved tickets that include a hot dog value meal.

Brian26
09-23-2006, 07:38 PM
i, for one haven't appreciated the play on the field for the better part of the year, and there is plenty of blame to go around. i will not be in attendance, because i do not appreciate this organization collecting interest on 21500 season ticket holders, my $2700 included. if you wanna get mad for a minute, sit down and do the math, on how much money the will accrue in interest. mind boggling. then they give us the screwgie about sox fest.

This is an ignorant statement on many levels. First of all, name one other team that *doesn't* require playoff or season ticket invoices to be paid well in advance of the games actually being played. You can ask people to do the math, but you haven't done your homework. Secondly, do some quick number crunching on what kind of interest the Sox would make on the playoff tickets. It might pay for two months of Ross Gload's contract next season (and that's a stretch). Get a grip.

Frontman
09-23-2006, 08:16 PM
This is an ignorant statement on many levels. First of all, name one other team that *doesn't* require playoff or season ticket invoices to be paid well in advance of the games actually being played. You can ask people to do the math, but you haven't done your homework. Secondly, do some quick number crunching on what kind of interest the Sox would make on the playoff tickets. It might pay for two months of Ross Gload's contract next season (and that's a stretch). Get a grip.

Thanks for some reasoning here. I'm for supporting the team!

I'm gonna be there with my siblings and my wife. Personally, any contest or giveaway is cool, as I want to see our Sox keep on fighting until the very end.

Front

eastchicagosoxfan
09-23-2006, 08:29 PM
I'll be there tomorrow. Heck, I'm still holding out for a miracle. Make it two in a row tomorrow!! Fans have waited 88 years to see a World Series winner. Sunday, unfortunately, might be the last oppurtunity to see them at home. Last season's victory will age like a fine wine. GO SOX!!! IT AIN'T OVER JUST YET!! Hey pessimists, optimism is free.

Brian26
09-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Last season's victory will age like a fine wine.

I have a feeling people will start appreciating it a little bit more each season we're removed from it. Not to say that it won't happen again soon, but if we go two or three years without making the playoffs, it's going to smack people in the face.

eastchicagosoxfan
09-23-2006, 08:48 PM
I have a feeling people will start appreciating it a little bit more each season we're removed from it. Not to say that it won't happen again soon, but if we go two or three years without making the playoffs, it's going to smack people in the face.
Or....two out of three ain't bad:cool:

ewokpelts
09-23-2006, 09:41 PM
I seem to recall them giving out United tickets to a lot - maybe 100 - of random seats around the park last year.

Of course, those of us in the upper deck weren't so happy when it came time for the Scout Seaters to win... :redneck

On a related note: does anyone know what the "Fan Appreciation Packs" are that are available on Ticketmaster?4 upper deck tickets and 4 hot dog meals for 60 bucks

southside rocks
09-23-2006, 09:57 PM

It's a business. Yeah, they could return the tickey money; that would cost them a lot in processing and administrative fees. To absorb those costs, they'd probably have pegged the playoff ticket prices even higher than they were.

So they hold it over the winter. It's true, they're making the float on it, which is probably T-Bill rate (which is what, 4.5%?), and doubtless they've built that into their income expectations. Without that, they'd probably raise ticket prices even more for 2007.

Ticket buyers can get their money back, but they will then lose their seat locations. So keeping your seat location is what you get instead of interest on your money. It's not really that bad a deal.

If it bothers someone that much, they shouldn't do business with the club. Some of us are looking to improve our seat locations this winter! :tongue:

Parrothead
09-23-2006, 10:00 PM
It's a business. Yeah, they could return the tickey money; that would cost them a lot in processing and administrative fees. To absorb those costs, they'd probably have pegged the playoff ticket prices even higher than they were.

So they hold it over the winter. It's true, they're making the float on it, which is probably T-Bill rate (which is what, 4.5%?), and doubtless they've built that into their income expectations. Without that, they'd probably raise ticket prices even more for 2007.

Ticket buyers can get their money back, but they will then lose their seat locations. So keeping your seat location is what you get instead of interest on your money. It's not really that bad a deal.

If it bothers someone that much, they shouldn't do business with the club. Some of us are looking to improve our seat locations this winter! :tongue:

Sox do not set playoff ticket prices MLB does.

southside rocks
09-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Sox do not set playoff ticket prices MLB does.

Oops. I think I knew that. Thanks for the catch.

So does MLB also set policies about refunds and returns, or is that by club? For instance, are the Tigers going to refund the WS ticket money when they get knocked out in the ALDS, or apply it to 2007 seasons? I wonder if all teams have the same policy. Just curious.

OzzieBall2004
09-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Oops. I think I knew that. Thanks for the catch.

So does MLB also set policies about refunds and returns, or is that by club? For instance, are the Tigers going to refund the WS ticket money when they get knocked out in the ALDS, or apply it to 2007 seasons? I wonder if all teams have the same policy. Just curious.

MLB doesn't set them. They provide a range, and the club submits a price that MLB approves. I would imagine refunds/returns are set up by the club without any MLB approval.

SOXandILLINI
09-23-2006, 11:23 PM
where did i say they shouldn't require the money up front? show me. i have no problem with that. playing with my money, is what i have a problem with. a rough estimation on playoff ticket revenue is 42 million dollars, with reasonable interest, they would collect about 1.2 million in interest over 6 months sept-feb. ross makes 400k every 2 months? we need a refund from him too. last year i was able to get my money back if they failed to make the playoffs, they decided that they would rather collect the interest on my money, rather than letting me decide over that stretch what i could do with $2700 bucks. and just because i don't say yes sir, may i have another, cus the sox get greedier, because they can, because they won the world series, don't tell me to get a grip, because i opt not to be a sheep. i won't even bother about the sox fest crap, there's no point.

Brian26
09-23-2006, 11:48 PM
where did i say they shouldn't require the money up front? show me. i have no problem with that. playing with my money, is what i have a problem with. a rough estimation on playoff ticket revenue is 42 million dollars, with reasonable interest, they would collect about 1.2 million in interest over 6 months sept-feb. ross makes 400k every 2 months? we need a refund from him too. last year i was able to get my money back if they failed to make the playoffs, they decided that they would rather collect the interest on my money, rather than letting me decide over that stretch what i could do with $2700 bucks. and just because i don't say yes sir, may i have another, cus the sox get greedier, because they can, because they won the world series, don't tell me to get a grip, because i opt not to be a sheep. i won't even bother about the sox fest crap, there's no point.

Ok, season ticket invoices for next year are due around Nov 1. So you want the Sox to mail you back your playoff money as soon as they are eliminated (which hasn't happened yet) so you can have it back in case you decide to send it back to them before Nov 1 for next year's tickets? I appreciate the passion, but you're not looking at the logistics of the big picture here.

jabrch
09-23-2006, 11:52 PM
I had a great time this season. It's too bad we couldn't win another 10 games, but that doesn't mean it wasn't fun.

I'm upset we didn't do more - but I'm certainly going to celebrate the end of the season. This will be my last baseball game until next spring. I'm not going to pass on this opportunity just because we played poorly the past two weeks, or even because we had a less than expected season.

Piss and moan all you want - but I enjoyed White Sox Baseball long before we won a World Series. I enjoyed it when we won a World Series. And I will enjoy it in the future, long after my tears of joy eventually dry off from the World Series.

I enjoyed it this year - just not like last year. The best part about being a fan is that I am sure that I will enjoy next year's season. I hope we win a World Series, but if we don't, I still will find a way to enjoy this game. I've enjoyed seasons that were MUCH worse than this year was.

jabrch
09-23-2006, 11:54 PM

You are talking about interest on the difference between 1/2 your next year's invoice and your playoff monies. This is a bull**** excuse. The amount of money you are talking about is pennies. It really is.

OzzyTrain
09-24-2006, 02:47 AM
i will not be in attendance, because i do not appreciate this organization collecting interest on 21500 season ticket holders, my $2700 included.

I bet next year if they make it you will be there, true fans stick with the team.

ilsox7
09-24-2006, 02:51 AM
Ok, season ticket invoices for next year are due around Nov 1. So you want the Sox to mail you back your playoff money as soon as they are eliminated (which hasn't happened yet) so you can have it back in case you decide to send it back to them before Nov 1 for next year's tickets? I appreciate the passion, but you're not looking at the logistics of the big picture here.

And if they did stupidly send the money back out only to get it back a month later, they'd probably increase prices for all of the handling time needed to send out refunds and receive the same damn money again. If that were the case, people would come here and bitch about the increased prices or fees.

SOXandILLINI
09-24-2006, 08:01 AM
I bet next year if they make it you will be there, true fans stick with the team.
i'll be there for dozens of games as i always am, i'm a full season ticket holder. i don't care who you are, you are not a bigger sox fan than i am, that's impossible, and i don't care if you believe that or not. however, the number of games i end up attending will certainly depend on the product on the field. being as big a sox fan as i am, it always infuriated me that the biggest arguement flub fans had was that they out draw us all the time, and my comeback has always been, and will always be, that i am not a sheep, and will not be out there all the time to watch horse bleep baseball, or for that matter uninspired baseball. if the product on the field isn't to my liking i will sell the bulk of my tickets.

i, loving baseball as i do, will always go to at least a handful of games, just to enjoy a night at the ballpark, but i refuse to become a cub fan, in that i will not line the owners of a franchises pockets with money, if the product is not up to par.

as far as all these arguements about season ticket holder money is concerned, the interest on MY money may be pennies, but i have always had the option of rolling my money, or taking it back. i, for one would like MY money in MY pocket, so i can do with it what i like. i'm silly that way, and not rich enough to have enough disposable income to not worry about almost 3k.

SOXandILLINI
09-24-2006, 08:04 AM
And if they did stupidly send the money back out only to get it back a month later, they'd probably increase prices for all of the handling time needed to send out refunds and receive the same damn money again. If that were the case, people would come here and bitch about the increased prices or fees.
then they have been stupid for a long time. and prices did increase for next year, in case you didn't know. did you see me bitch about that?

CallMeNuts
09-24-2006, 09:46 AM
The reason why they are applying all the playoff money to next year is very simple. The reason why deposits are due earlier this year is very simple. The reason why deposits are larger is very simple:

This is the first year in Sox history where there is a waiting list for season ticker holders. They really want to know who is coming back and who isn't so that they can improve seat locations for those who have requested it and get new season ticket holders into the seats that have opened up. And they would rather do this over the course of the entire off season than do it in the last few months.

It's all about supply and demand. There is still more demand than supply. The logistics of handling the demand take time.

SOXandILLINI
09-24-2006, 09:57 AM
The reason why they are applying all the playoff money to next year is very simple. The reason why deposits are due earlier this year is very simple. The reason why deposits are larger is very simple:

This is the first year in Sox history where there is a waiting list for season ticker holders. They really want to know who is coming back and who isn't so that they can improve seat locations for those who have requested it and get new season ticket holders into the seats that have opened up. And they would rather do this over the course of the entire off season than do it in the last few months.

It's all about supply and demand. There is still more demand than supply. The logistics of handling the demand take time.
well, i certainly hope you're right, because i have put in for a seat assignment improvement, and i'm quite sure that they so called waiting list will be no more, because the bandwagon people, as i have been accused of being one, will assuredly disappear in great numbers.

Jerko
09-24-2006, 10:26 AM
:kneeslap:

I'll be first in line for the plunking! I don't want to see Neal Cotts pitch again this year - please - Ozzie - please!

I bet I hit that target faster than Cotts can......... this year anyway.

Frankfan4life
09-24-2006, 12:54 PM
I'm just about to head out the door for the game. I really wish things had turned out differently. But, I'm a Sox fan so I'll support this team no matter what. Who knows, maybe I'll win something today. Of course, I'd much rather the Sox win.

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!

ilsox7
09-24-2006, 04:06 PM

Ding ding ding!!! Some folks cannot grasp simple economics. The Sox can do many things now that they could not do before 2005. Their product is hot. Also, there is a big, big difference between handling more than double the amount of season tickets/waiting list requests in 2006 than the amount of work they had to do pre-2005. It's simple, really. Yet people still bitch.

Steelrod
09-24-2006, 04:44 PM
well, i certainly hope you're right, because i have put in for a seat assignment improvement, and i'm quite sure that they so called waiting list will be no more, because the bandwagon people, as i have been accused of being one, will assuredly disappear in great numbers.
you are just full of positive thoughts!
Curious, how many years have you had your tickets?

Steelrod
09-24-2006, 04:46 PM
One month's interest is about $400k using your numbers. I also wonder how much it cost to print, manage, and distribute those 42,000 playoff tickets? Also wonder what the credit card fees are?

caulfield12
09-24-2006, 04:49 PM
One month's interest is about $400k using your numbers. I also wonder how much it cost to print, manage, and distribute those 42,000 playoff tickets?

Is that based on putting the money into a CD or money market for 3-4% interest or a different, more high-yield investment?

I kind of doubt they're throwing money into Fidelity Magellan, Oakmark or Legg Mason Value Trust or Select Opportunity, but who knows?

Steelrod
09-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Is that based on putting the money into a CD or money market for 3-4% interest or a different, more high-yield investment?

I kind of doubt they're throwing money into Fidelity Magellan, Oakmark or Legg Mason Value Trust or Select Opportunity, but who knows?
I have no idea. I was just using his numbers, adjusted for reality.

SOXandILLINI
09-24-2006, 05:07 PM
first of all we are charged a handling fee of 25 bucks i believe it was for the playoff tix, so, i'm sure that covers their cost of printing and postage for the tix. secondly i as a fullseason ticket holder from 1991- 1997, and from 2005-2007 now, since i am re-upping. i don't see why this is of importance to you, but i believe in answering questions instead of ducking them.

Parrothead
09-25-2006, 07:50 AM
Anyone out there win anything at the game yesterday? For the 20th consecutive year, I got shut out but at least I saw a win.

Vernam
09-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Anyone out there win anything at the game yesterday? For the 20th consecutive year, I got shut out but at least I saw a win.The winners' list include a seat in the row in front of us that a.) belongs to a ticket broker, and/or b.) has been vacant more often than not. As it was yesterday . . .

I'd be interested in hearing what the prizes were. The giveaways were awfully low-key compared to previous years.

Vernam

salty99
09-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Anyone out there win anything at the game yesterday? For the 20th consecutive year, I got shut out but at least I saw a win.

No prizes for this guy. I liked that they had the impromptu autograph signing before the game. Of course I missed out on that too, oh well.

BainesHOF
09-25-2006, 11:41 AM
The prizes I saw awarded were a Dye signed ball, an Ozzie signed ball, a one-year membership to a health club, a kids scooter and a refridgerator.

Nice move by the team to hold the autographing signing for all fans before the game.

BeefyD
09-25-2006, 01:52 PM
The prizes I saw awarded were a Dye signed ball, an Ozzie signed ball, a one-year membership to a health club, a kids scooter and a refridgerator.

Nice move by the team to hold the autographing signing for all fans before the game.

They always have an autograph signing before the last home game. Been going to the last home game since about 93 just for that reason (with the exception of 94, of course). Have also gotten some good Thomas items signed, Mags, Ventura, Belle, etc.

However, this year kinda stunk. No AJ, Crede, Thome, Konerko, Dye...

salty99
09-25-2006, 01:54 PM
They always have an autograph signing before the last home game. Been going to the last home game since about 93 just for that reason (with the exception of 94, of course). Have also gotten some good Thomas items signed, Mags, Ventura, Belle, etc.

However, this year kinda stunk. No AJ, Crede, Thome, Konerko, Dye...

So who was actually there, I saw Buehrle, Cora, Jenks, Hermanson, Thornton and Podsednik.

BainesHOF
09-25-2006, 02:32 PM
So who was actually there, I saw Buehrle, Cora, Jenks, Hermanson, Thornton and Podsednik.

Basically everyone who wasn't in the starting lineup.