PDA

View Full Version : Gold glove third base voting

TDog
09-23-2006, 03:02 AM
The Gold Gloves are determined by voting of the managers and coaches, who cannot vote for players on their own teams. Some are certain Chavez will win the Gold Glove for AL third basemen.

This weekend a report in the Dallas Morning News will quote the A's manager saying he left third base blank because there is no choice but Chavez for the award. I'm wondering if Chavez will be a unanimous selection.

ondafarm
09-23-2006, 03:15 AM
ESPN seems to be touting big surprise Boston's third baseman.

Paulwny
09-23-2006, 09:18 AM
The Gold Gloves are determined by voting of the managers and coaches, who cannot vote for players on their own teams. Some are certain Chavez will win the Gold Glove for AL third basemen.

This weekend a report in the Dallas Morning News will quote the A's manager saying he left third base blank because there is no choice but Chavez for the award. I'm wondering if Chavez will be a unanimous selection.

I've heard that Oz feels Crede should win the Gold Glove and may vote for ARod.

Britt Burns
09-23-2006, 09:29 AM
If Crede doesn't win the GG the whole award is a joke...oh wait, too late. A-Row not winning last year was a mockery of a travesty.

Parrothead
09-23-2006, 10:15 AM
I've heard that Oz feels Crede should win the Gold Glove and may vote for ARod.

I heard a quote from Ozzie saying that he is going to vote for Bastista from Toronto, since he is the worst and not even playing. Therefore Crede is one vote closer to winning. If this is the case MLB should take Ozzie's vote away for everything that he votes for forever. That is bush league.

Paulwny
09-23-2006, 10:38 AM
I heard a quote from Ozzie saying that he is going to vote for Bastista from Toronto, since he is the worst and not even playing. Therefore Crede is one vote closer to winning. If this is the case MLB should take Ozzie's vote away for everything that he votes for forever. That is bush league.

Yep, sorry you're correct, Oz to vote for ARod >20 errors or Batista is what I heard , neither one is a serious challenge to Crede. Once again Oz in a controversy.

Paulwny
09-23-2006, 10:58 AM

This type of thing has been going on for eons. I've heard about collusion among managers, you vote for my LF and I'll vote for your SS.

oeo
09-23-2006, 11:15 AM

Like the award actually means something anyway...

Whoever wins the damn thing, is a Gold Glover until they either have a terrible season, or retire. It doesn't go to the best at every position, it's just a popularity contest. For instance, did Torii Hunter deserve the award last year, when he played 90-something games (and worse stats than Rowand, almost around the board)? No, but there he was, adding another Gold Glove.

I'm sorry, but the Gold Glove is a joke, who cares?

Paulwny
09-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Like the award actually means something anyway...

Whoever wins the damn thing, is a Gold Glover until they either have a terrible season, or retire. It doesn't go to the best at every position, it's just a popularity contest. For instance, did Torii Hunter deserve the award last year, when he played 90-something games (and worse stats than Rowand, almost around the board)? No, but there he was, adding another Gold Glove.

I'm sorry, but the Gold Glove is a joke, who cares?

Some players have a bonus clause in their contracts for a Gold Glove award.

NardiWasHere
09-23-2006, 11:39 AM
:whocares

Are you guys serious? Who the hell cares how Ozzie or any other manager votes for the gold glove? Oh no! Integrity of the gold glove is in jeopardy!

23Ventura
09-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Is it not bush league to leave third base blank on the ballot like the A's manager? That basically does the same thing as what Ozzie is doing by voting for Arod or Batista. The gold glove is the most ridiculous award in baseball, and probably in sports. After you win it once, as long as you don't suck or get injured (unless you're Torii Hunter) you're guaranteed to win it a few more times.

Oblong
09-23-2006, 12:16 PM
People don't even understand how to measure defense. The Gold Gloves are nothing more than a popularity contest. Win a couple in a row and suddenly you're all set for a few more on reputation alone.

I don't see why managers should vote anyway. How can you judge a player from seeing them a handful of times a year? Managers don't watch every play from every game. They rely on sportscenter? Great.

Daver
09-23-2006, 12:18 PM
People don't even understand how to measure defense. The Gold Gloves are nothing more than a popularity contest. Win a couple in a row and suddenly you're all set for a few more on reputation alone.

I don't see why managers should vote anyway. How can you judge a player from seeing them a handful of times a year? Managers don't watch every play from every game. They rely on sportscenter? Great.

I might have a small amount of respect for the glod glove if it was voted on by the baseball writers association.

TDog
09-23-2006, 03:50 PM
I might have a small amount of respect for the glod glove if it was voted on by the baseball writers association.

You would think the managers and coaches would be a better voting pool than the writers. Postseason awards are limited to beat writers who (allegedly) watch the game.

I'm not sure about the integrity of the vote, though. To the extreme, there have been writers suspended or fired from their jobs because they voted for winless teams in high school ranking to help push their home team to the top. In Major League Baseball, Ted Williams wrote in his autobiography that he lost the MVP by one point one year when a Boston writer who didn't like him left him off the ballot, without consequence.

But maybe the word "small" was a more important part of your post than I initially thought.

Daver
09-23-2006, 03:59 PM
But maybe the word "small" was a more important part of your post than I initially thought.

I have no respect whatsoever, for the Baseball HOF, which is controlled by the baseball writers association, if that helps put it in perspective.

ondafarm
09-23-2006, 04:40 PM

I think the situation was better when you had a balanced schedule. Instead of playing everyone in the ALCD 19 times a year, I'd prefer if the Sox played twelve games a year (two home and two road series) against everyone in the league. That would leave just six games which would be spread, somewhat evenly, amongst the teams in your division. This would get rid of interleague play.

oeo
09-23-2006, 09:42 PM
Some players have a bonus clause in their contracts for a Gold Glove award.

I know, but that's too bad if some guy doesn't get a vote because he doesn't deserve it. The award is still a joke...the player may get something out of it, but it's a joke.

Frater Perdurabo
09-23-2006, 09:52 PM
I think the situation was better when you had a balanced schedule. Instead of playing everyone in the ALCD 19 times a year, I'd prefer if the Sox played twelve games a year (two home and two road series) against everyone in the league. That would leave just six games which would be spread, somewhat evenly, amongst the teams in your division. This would get rid of interleague play.

I'd like that too. Of course, I'd prefer a 156-game schedule to eliminate play during the first week of April.

RadioheadRocks
09-23-2006, 10:00 PM

Good, one popularity contest replacing another. :rolleyes: