PDA

View Full Version : Most disappointing September?

caulfield12
09-22-2006, 11:57 PM
2003 probably takes the cake for me, because we HADN'T made it to the World Series and won at that point, but this September has been absolutely embarassing for the entire organization, from JR on down.

I got home from school today, ended up taking a nap, and woke up to see Contreras injured at 10:00 on the chisox homepage and of course, Cotts getting booed again.

I always looked forward to September because you got to see the Sox prospects play, but this is like a train wreck. Not only will the last weekend be meaningless, the players are playing so listlessly the last three games you would never had known they had won the World Championship last season. Ozzie is right, fans pay good money for tickets and deserve better...it was painfully obvious to most Sox observers the last two months we weren't playoff worthy, but this is getting ridiculous.

Where is the pride? Where is the love of the game? I know, I know, these guys don't look at it as a game, they're paid professionals and they've had a long year (playoffs, WBC, etc.) but going to a White Sox game shouldn't be more painful than a trip to the dentist.

Not only that, regulars we're counting on for next year are getting injured even. Well, at least Jose can be shut down for the season now and rest his back and hopefully come to ST 100% healthy.

I just want to see players who actually want to play for the Sox, instead of players who are just collecting a paycheck and waiting to go home. That's why I am looking forward to 2008...if, for whatever reason, we don't make the playoffs, there will be huge turnover with this team. If they do keep the team together for another "run," it will be because the 2007 team came together in a way this one never did.

For some reason, it has been difficult for me to get behind this team...maybe it's the payroll, having "too much" talent, they just haven't seemed like a team since that game against the Red Sox to end the first half. They've had some incredible moments in the 2nd half (beating Rivera, Gload's GS in Baltimore, AJ's walkoff, the Dye homer off Nathan come to mind) but those moments only served to build false hope instead of igniting a season-changing rally. This team, you always believed they could "turn it on" when Liriano went down and the Red Sox were out of it and it just never happened. The opportunity was served up on a golden platter, even though you felt like they could STILL win it if they made it to the playoffs, as time went on, it seemed more like the 2005 Red Sox...a suddenly aging team with an impressive offensive but lots of holes in the pitching, and without the ability to manufacture runs and win close games.

EDIT: Wasn't around in 1967, I know many would vote for that year as well, or 1977.

23Ventura
09-23-2006, 01:00 AM
2003 sucked because we had way more talent than the Twins, and we couldn't beat them, but I guess you could probably say that about every year the Twins have won the division. But in '03, We had Colon and Buehrle, and they weren't even the best pitcher on the staff. Loaiza had a fluke Cy Young-type year, and we wasted it.

I would, however, say that this year is worse because this is, without a doubt, the most talented White Sox team I've ever seen. They basically mailed it in throughout September, and they're painful to watch at this point. At the All-Star break, it looked like they were gonna make a run at Detroit for the division, and if they didn't catch them, the Wild Card was pretty much a guarentee. It was like 1 week later there WC lead was gone. Then going into the last month and the race was pretty much even between the Sox & Twins, and, what new, the Twins won with less talent. When was the last time the Sox won a pennant race that they didn't already have locked up by July?

The most disappointing September has to be '94. The season cancelled with the Sox in 1st place. That team could've won it all but we'll never know.

RadioheadRocks
09-23-2006, 02:13 AM
This September sure ranks right up there, and in honor of this disappointing finish I present the Disappointing Seal of Approval:

http://picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/1-14-05/disappointing-thread.jpg

This says it all, since it's a "Disappointing" thread in the literal sense.

chisoxfanatic
09-23-2006, 02:35 AM
This September sure has been disappointing; however, whenever it feels my mind is gonna explode about it, I think back to the joys of last year and consider myself fortunate to be a part of all of that. Not everyone gets to see their team win it all...It helps a bit (I'm gonna watch the World Series DVD before going to bed).

RadioheadRocks
09-23-2006, 02:50 AM
This September sure has been disappointing; however, whenever it feels my mind is gonna explode about it, I think back to the joys of last year and consider myself fortunate to be a part of all of that. Not everyone gets to see their team win it all...It helps a bit (I'm gonna watch the World Series DVD before going to bed).

That about sums up my feelings as well; for the longest time all I wanted was to see one White Sox World Series championship in my lifetime and that lifelong wish was granted. Of course now that it's happened I got that feeling like when you try eating just one potato chip. That and the fact that the target was on our backs for the entire season I think that this season was definitely a learning experience and that KW and "the powers that be" will be taking a long hard look at how everything panned out and they'll get something in motion to get the Sox back on track for 2007. I'm off work in an hour and I'm also planning on putting the World Series DVD on when I get home tonight.

Railsplitter
09-23-2006, 10:38 AM
2003. The Cubs got hot late and won thier division.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2006, 12:33 PM
2006 and 2003 don't even come close to 1964 and 1967.

Lip

caulfield12
09-23-2006, 01:27 PM
Well, I guess the other thing you have to take into consideration is that only ONE team qualified back in those days. In the present times, fans are complaining it's not fair that the AL Central is too tough.

In that vein, I loved the 1990 team even though they had no chance to beat the A's and make it to the playoffs. But I was never disappointed in them, they did the best the could, overachieving to a large extent.

We would have won the Wild Card by 8 or 9 games if that had been the format.

ws05champs
09-23-2006, 01:32 PM
The most disappointing September has to be '94. The season cancelled with the Sox in 1st place. That team could've won it all but we'll never know.

I agree. I am filled more with disgust than disappointment this September. With all the talent this team has, they are playing this September more like a team going for last place than a defending world champion.

TommyJohn
09-23-2006, 01:53 PM
One really disappointing September for me was in 1987. They went about
19-9 and played like pennant contenders. So why was it so disappointing?
I'm glad you asked! Because early in the season, they were HORRIBLE. They
went something like 5-23 in June or July, their worst month EVER. They were
even threatening to break that magical loss mark of 106 set in 1970. In
September they caught fire and their record wound up 77-85. In the garbage
division that was the A.L. West that year, they wound up only 8 games
behind eventual World Champion Minnesota. They also had the best post
All-Star break record in baseball that year, if memeory serves. Had they
played just .500 ball during their garbage stretch, they would have easily
won the division.

So how come in years when they are out of it, they catch fire after the
All-Star break, but fade in years that they are in it? (1983 is one excep-
tion.) What gives?

caulfield12
09-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Pretty soon, they're going to have to consider giving refunds to all fans who held tickets for this M's series just for being forced to suffer through the bad play and rain.

This is going from bad to worse by the minute...of course, to add insult to injury, the game is on Fox regional.

SOXSINCE'70
09-23-2006, 03:03 PM
I gave up after Wednesday.There has never been a Chicago
baseball team with back to playoff appearances since the playoffs
began in 1969,and sadly,the White Sox will continue this trend.:(:

I have been through many disappointing Septembers since 1970,
when I first became a fan.This ranks right up there with the
worst of them.:(:

TDog
09-24-2006, 06:42 PM
Is it better to have a disappointing September than a disappointing October?

I don't feel nearly as bad as I did in 1983 or 2000, or even 1993 when nobody seemed to care that the Sox were even playing to get into the World Series. As for 1964 and 1967, the latter of which I only vaguely remember, the White Sox were playing to get into the World Series, not some postseason tournament.

This September can't be the most disappointing or most embarrassing I've seen as a White Sox fan. I've pretty much seen this September for my entire life. I consider it part of my unfortunate heritage as a Sox fan.

But I am optimistic. I know that winning the World Series is possible. Cubs fans can only fantasize the possibility.

RadioheadRocks
09-24-2006, 07:51 PM
In that vein, I loved the 1990 team even though they had no chance to beat the A's and make it to the playoffs. But I was never disappointed in them, they did the best the could, overachieving to a large extent.

We would have won the Wild Card by 8 or 9 games if that had been the format.

I also loved the 1990 team; they really weren't expected to do anything that year (especially coming off a terrible 1989 season) and by mid-May that year I remember feeling that it could be a pretty exciting season. Who could forget the "Who are these guys?" and "Doing the little things" mantras that epitomized that season, and although it would have been awesome to have given old Comiskey Park an amazing sendoff with some post-season baseball I still look back at the 1990 season with many fond memories. :D:

caulfield12
09-24-2006, 08:26 PM
I also loved the 1990 team; they really weren't expected to do anything that year (especially coming off a terrible 1989 season) and by mid-May that year I remember feeling that it could be a pretty exciting season. Who could forget the "Who are these guys?" and "Doing the little things" mantras that epitomized that season, and although it would have been awesome to have given old Comiskey Park an amazing sendoff with some post-season baseball I still look back at the 1990 season with many fond memories. :D:

Rodney McCray always symbolized that season for me....I was lucky enough to attend a game against KC (with Bo Jackson and Tartabull) that we won in the last at-bat that was one of my favorite memories of childhood.

Dick Allen
09-24-2006, 11:42 PM

Lip1967 did it for me. Losing their last five games to the two worst teams in the league with a trip to the WS on the line.

davenicholson
09-25-2006, 09:02 AM

Lip
Amen, Brother Lip. Amen.:whiner:

TomBradley72
09-25-2006, 01:45 PM
I'd have to agree with 2003...especially combined with Cubbies run on the northside (up until the ending anyway :cool: ).

1977 was also disappointing...after a great April-August...between slumping, losing Zisk, etc....the bubble had completel burst by the end of the year...and the late 70's Whte Sox had returned to mediocrity.

Lip Man 1
09-25-2006, 01:48 PM
Mediocrity is overstating how bad the 78, 79 and 80 teams were.

Lip

Chisox353014
09-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Wasn't around in the 60's, so for me it's 2003, followed closely by this year. Not only did we crap ourselves against the Twins again, but the fact that you literally could not turn on a TV or pick up a newspaper without getting doused in Cub-pogana made it unbearable. (I did enjoy dressing up as Bartman that Halloween, however :cool:)

IowaSox1971
09-26-2006, 03:58 AM
2003 was the worst, until Florida's comeback in the NLCS almost made it worthwhile.

There is no way this season is as bad as 1984. The AL West was a horrible division that year, the Royals won it with an 84-78 record, but the 1984 team won only 74 games and finished 10 games out. That Sox team slept through the whole season.

The 1967 team overachieved and had no business being that close to first place at that point of the season. It hurt losing those final five games, but what people forget is that we were not in first place before that final five-game stretch. Even if we had won three out of five, we still would have had to play Boston in a one-game playoff for the title. Yes, we had a great opportunity because we were playing some bad teams, but it wasn't like we were prohibitive favorites or anything.

A season similar to this one was 1996. We started out 40-21 but we went 45-56 the rest of the way because of bad pitching and blew the wild card lead down the stretch. We were four or five games ahead in the wild card race at the trading deadline, and Baltimore almost traded Bobby Bonilla at the trading deadline, but the Baltimore owner stepped in and ordered the trade not to be made. Then Baltimore ended up winning the wild card, not us.

caulfield12
09-26-2006, 08:47 AM
2003 was the worst, until Florida's comeback in the NLCS almost made it worthwhile.

There is no way this season is as bad as 1984. The AL West was a horrible division that year, the Royals won it with an 84-78 record, but the 1984 team won only 74 games and finished 10 games out. That Sox team slept through the whole season.

The 1967 team overachieved and had no business being that close to first place at that point of the season. It hurt losing those final five games, but what people forget is that we were not in first place before that final five-game stretch. Even if we had won three out of five, we still would have had to play Boston in a one-game playoff for the title. Yes, we had a great opportunity because we were playing some bad teams, but it wasn't like we were prohibitive favorites or anything.

A season similar to this one was 1996. We started out 40-21 but we went 45-56 the rest of the way because of bad pitching and blew the wild card lead down the stretch. We were four or five games ahead in the wild card race at the trading deadline, and Baltimore almost traded Bobby Bonilla at the trading deadline, but the Baltimore owner stepped in and ordered the trade not to be made. Then Baltimore ended up winning the wild card, not us.

Was that Angelos or Williams? Sounds eerily similar to this year's non-deal by the Orioles for Tejada...

LongLiveFisk
09-26-2006, 11:20 AM
I just want to see players who actually want to play for the Sox, instead of players who are just collecting a paycheck and waiting to go home.

Watching them the last couple of months, I could swear some of these guys wanted their vacation. I guess playing until almost November last year and playing winter ball for some was too much for them to take.

They'd never survive in the real working world.

Lip Man 1
09-26-2006, 11:28 PM
Iowa:

Correction. The 1984 Sox slept through the second half of the season. They hit the All Star Break winners of seven straight and in first place.

Lip

IowaSox1971
09-27-2006, 01:24 AM
Iowa:

Correction. The 1984 Sox slept through the second half of the season. They hit the All Star Break winners of seven straight and in first place.

Lip

They were 44-40 at the break that year and they were in first place only because the division was so bad. Judging from some of the comments on the board lately, if this year's team had been 44-40 at the break, there might have been people calling for the executions of Ozzie, KW and others.

But perhaps a better way to put it is the 1984 Sox yawned their way through the first half before snoozing in the second half.

Foulke You
09-27-2006, 04:43 PM
Wasn't around in the 60's, so for me it's 2003, followed closely by this year. Not only did we crap ourselves against the Twins again, but the fact that you literally could not turn on a TV or pick up a newspaper without getting doused in Cub-pogana made it unbearable. (I did enjoy dressing up as Bartman that Halloween, however :cool:)
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me too. I thought that 2003 team had the pitching staff to win it all if we could just get in the playoffs. Bartolo Colon was pitching lights out in the 2nd half, Buehrle was being Buehrle, and Esteban Loaiza was having a Cy Young caliber year. Frank Thomas and Carlos Lee both had monster years, Maggs had a solid all star year, and the bullpen was above average with Schoeneweis, Gary Glover, Damaso Marte (Marte was lights out that year...that's when he was "K-Marte"), and Flash Gordon had a nice year as the closer savior after Koch was a disappointment. Of course, it didn't work out and the Sox blew it in late September and got swept in the pivotal 3 game Metrodome series. The Cubs winning their division with 88 wins in '03 was salt on the wounds and the media "Cub-gasms" were unbearable. Thank God for the '03 Marlins. The '05 White Sox made the '03 nightmare finish a distant memory.:cool: