PDA

View Full Version : Is Metra still building a stop on 35th?

tony1972
09-22-2006, 11:48 AM
I haven't heard anything lately about this? I live in Joliet now and wanted to take the train to games next year?

Did this fall through?

35th&Shields
09-22-2006, 11:58 AM
I haven't heard anything lately about this? I live in Joliet now and wanted to take the train to games next year?

Did this fall through?

I don't know how seriously this was ever considered. I, for one think it is a great idea, but the word "on the street" that I've heard is that many of the same people who don't want any more restaurants or bars built in the neighborhood are against the train station.

I'd be interested as well if anyone has any hard facts on the issue.

southside rocks
09-22-2006, 11:59 AM
I take Metra every day to and from work, and I've never heard one word about this plan.

It totally makes sense and I wish they would do it, but is there a real chance? I'd also like to know more about this!

Hangar18
09-22-2006, 12:01 PM

Did this fall through?

Metra is going to build this station. Supposed to be ready by the 2009 season.

I want Mags back
09-22-2006, 12:02 PM

awesome. much earlier then i expected

35th&Shields
09-22-2006, 12:09 PM

From the March 11, 2006 Sun Times Metro Briefs section. Great news!

"Metra this week will forge ahead with plans to build a 35th Street stop in Chicago's Bridgeport community for south suburban commuter trains. Starting Friday, Metra will begin entertaining offers from engineering and architecture firms to design a station on the Rock Island District Line, east of the Dan Ryan Expressway and within walking distance of the Cell."
(http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4155/is_20060311/ai_n16148658)

southside rocks
09-22-2006, 12:09 PM

Got a link?

Oops, never mind, I see one posted.

tony1972
09-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Yeah - I remember hearing about it back in March but haven't heard anything since..I hope this is still happening..

Chip Z'nuff
09-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Metra's newsletter made mention of it a couple months back, they are still planning on building, but they need to finish rebuilding the flyover first.

The plan also calls for moving SW service to the Rock Island Main Line by moving train traffic via an underused flyover at 40th st.

The Rock Island Main Line will also be part of a high speed rail corridor (not part of metra) that will run from st louis to Detroit, chicago bound trains will head northbound in Peotone and travel Metra's along new proposed SE Service line and then make their way into Union Station.

Scottiehaswheels
09-22-2006, 12:24 PM
I have a question regarding this... When this stop is put into place, how much less car traffic do you anticipate? If it is a drastic amount do you believe that the Sox may at that point lease portions of the land to restaurants, etc.? I.E. could we see an Applebee's or something like that in the back of Lot C in 2010?

Hangar18
09-22-2006, 12:24 PM
..........they are still planning on building, but they need to finish rebuilding the flyover first.

Hope they dont use the same 2 guys who were installing seats in the offseason

35th&Shields
09-22-2006, 12:43 PM
I.E. could we see an Applebee's or something like that in the back of Lot C in 2010?

I would maybe rather see the "Cubby Bear South" in Lot C than see a generic, run-of-the-mill franchise like Applebee's. If there was an Applebee's outside of the park, then the Cell truly would be the "Mallpark." I wouldn't mind seeing a local chain like a Portillo's, a Connie's, Home Run Inn, etc. there.

FielderJones
09-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Hope they dont use the same 2 guys who were installing seats in the offseason

Boy, you have been away a long time. That's the poorest excuse for teal ever!
:tongue:

davenicholson
09-22-2006, 12:54 PM
I would maybe rather see the "Cubby Bear South" in Lot C
Wow.:o:

35th&Shields
09-22-2006, 01:05 PM
Wow.:o:

I trust that you know I was using hyperbole to make a point. Hey, at least the Cubby Bear is a local Chicago place. I'm as pro-Sox/anti-Cubs as the next guy, but an Applebee's or a Chili's or a Bennigan's would be beyond embarassing. If that happened I might as well move to Arlington, Texas or Anaheim and have my whole world be strip malls and franchises. No thanks. I'll opt for local flavor any day.

tony1972
09-22-2006, 01:14 PM
If the Cubs have "Cubby Bear" what would we have..?

"Soxy Hose"?

Scottiehaswheels
09-22-2006, 01:16 PM

"Soxy Hose"?
Palehose Pub

35th&Shields
09-22-2006, 01:21 PM
Palehose Pub

That's pretty good, actually. I like the sound of that.

By the way, what's the status with "Jimbo's"? Is it all over for him in a week? I haven't heard anything about it in a while and since we're on the subject of Bridgeport bars I thought I'd ask.

Hitmen77
09-22-2006, 01:21 PM
I would maybe rather see the "Cubby Bear South" in Lot C than see a generic, run-of-the-mill franchise like Applebee's. If there was an Applebee's outside of the park, then the Cell truly would be the "Mallpark." I wouldn't mind seeing a local chain like a Portillo's, a Connie's, Home Run Inn, etc. there.

Good point. TERRIBLE choice of words.

"Soxy Hose"?

:kneeslap:

Hangar18
09-22-2006, 02:23 PM
That's pretty good, actually. I like the sound of that.

By the way, what's the status with "Jimbo's"? Is it all over for him in a week? I haven't heard anything about it in a while and since we're on the subject of Bridgeport bars I thought I'd ask.

Yeah. Jimbos is no more after the 30th :(:

Brian26
09-22-2006, 09:08 PM

Metra moves at a snail's pace on these types of projects. No way in hell will that happen by 2009.

ondafarm
09-22-2006, 09:23 PM

Agreed, but you missed naming THE south side food chain HAROLD'S CHICKEN SHACK.

When I think of heaven, it involves watching the White Sox pummel the Yankee$ 347-0 and me stopping at the Harold's as I wait for my limo, driven by the recently divorced Shania Twain.

35th&Shields
09-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Agreed, but you missed naming THE south side food chain HAROLD'S CHICKEN SHACK.

Fair enough. We all have an idea of heaven. I like the idea of a Harold's at USCF. Especially if it would be "Harold's Chicken Shack No. 2005." Has a nice ring to it. I love Harold's. That's some damn good chicken.

ondafarm
09-22-2006, 09:36 PM
Fair enough. We all have an idea of heaven. I like the idea of a Harold's at USCF. Especially if it would be "Harold's Chicken Shack No. 2005." Has a nice ring to it. I love Harold's. That's some damn good chicken.

Good call!!