PDA

View Full Version : Final Roster Spot

doctor30th
02-28-2002, 04:28 PM
According to the Sun-times, Manuel said that if they went today he would give the final roster spot to Harris or Simmons.

Rowand, Graff, Catcher, Liefer and Harris (or Simmons) would be on the Bench.

Jerry must be thinking 11 pitchers to begin with. I don't think he would exclude Rowand.

I already heard manuel said that they wouldn't take a third catcher with them. So was anyone else besides Harris, Simmons, and Crede going for that spot?

Chisox_cali
02-28-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
According to the Sun-times, Manuel said that if they went today he would give the final roster spot to Harris or Simmons.

Rowand, Graff, Catcher, Liefer and Harris (or Simmons) would be on the Bench.

Jerry must be thinking 11 pitchers to begin with. I don't think he would exclude Rowand.

I already heard manuel said that they wouldn't take a third catcher with them. So was anyone else besides Harris, Simmons, and Crede going for that spot?

Well if Jerry's taking 11 pitchers I can see 2 spots left, the 5th starter and the 6th bullpen guy and how many pitchers are competing for those 2 spots? I think we need another lefty in the pen which would be between Masaoka, Malone, and Jacquez and the the No. 5 spot is completely up for grabs between Rauch Biddle Guerrier Glover etc. etc. etc.

(9)
Lofton
Durham
Thomas
Ordonez
Konerko
Valentin
Lee
Alomar
Clayton

(5)
Buehrle
Ritchie
Parque
Garland
???????

(6)
Foulke
Howry
Osuna
Barcelo
Wunsch
???????

(5)
MJ/JP
Leifer
Rowand
Graffy
Harris or Simmons

doctor30th
02-28-2002, 04:55 PM
Manuel said that if Wright doesn't make the starting rotation, he will be sent down to the minors. They don't feel he's a good Bull pen pitcher.

RedPinStripes
02-28-2002, 05:17 PM
How much you wanna bet Harris makes the roster? It's just too easy to read from KW and Manuel.

cheeses_h_rice
02-28-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
How much you wanna bet Harris makes the roster? It's just too easy to read from KW and Manuel.

Just from a few days' worth of ST activity, it does seem as if he's impressed the people he needs to impress. Is Harris a switch-hitter? He could be the new Mr. Versatile.

FarmerAndy
02-28-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Just from a few days' worth of ST activity, it does seem as if he's impressed the people he needs to impress. Is Harris a switch-hitter? He could be the new Mr. Versatile.

I think we should watch him in AAA for a couple of months first. He looks pretty good, but I still remember Julio Ramirez breaking camp with the team after a good spring. I think we all remember how well that went.

I'm not saying Willie Harris will be a flop like Ramirez, but it would be best to proceed with caution.

pearso66
02-28-2002, 06:03 PM
i agree, let him sit in the minors a month, if clayton starts out like he did last year, we dont need 2 people on the roster hitting below .100 again, like last year.

yes i know, there were 3 counting harold

baggio202
02-28-2002, 07:13 PM
it makes no sense to bring a 23 year old who hasnt played higher than AA north unless he plans on being an everyday player...he rots on the bench ..gets to play once a week???...hiow is gonna improve??...unless someone gets injured harris has to go to charlotte..

the last roster spot should go to simmons or paul

RichH55
02-28-2002, 07:25 PM
Oh the Willie harris hype is just starting....if he isnt compared to a combo of joe Morgan and Willie Mays by the time next ST rolls around i'll be shocked

Clarkdog
03-01-2002, 12:21 PM
Sad to say, but I don't see how Crede makes the roster. He should either play everyday, or he'll just take up a valuable bench spot. Better to send him down so he can play everyday. How did he find himself in this spot?

Oh, I forgot. The Choice.

duke of dorwood
03-01-2002, 01:15 PM
I'd give it to Simmons. Outfield defense over an infielder playing outfield . You guys are right, the whole Harris thing is being set up by mamagement.

RedPinStripes
03-01-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy

I think we should watch him in AAA for a couple of months first. He looks pretty good, but I still remember Julio Ramirez breaking camp with the team after a good spring. I think we all remember how well that went.

I'm not saying Willie Harris will be a flop like Ramirez, but it would be best to proceed with caution.

Very well said. My thoughts exactly.

hold2dibber
03-01-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
Manuel said that if Wright doesn't make the starting rotation, he will be sent down to the minors. They don't feel he's a good Bull pen pitcher.

It seems to me that the no. 5 spot is really between Wright, Glover and Guerrier (Biddle, apparently, is shelved right now and I think they're going to bring Rauch along slowly in the minors to make sure they don't imperil his health). If either Wright or Guerrier wins that battle, I'm sure Glover would stick as the last guy in the bull pen. But if Glover gets the no. 5 spot, I would think that both Wright and Guerrier would be sent down. Who would that leave for the last bullpen spot? Malone, Ulacia (sp?), Ginter, Vining, or maybe the guy who saved all those games at Birmingham last year (brain cramp on his name right now)? I can't imagine that they'd stick Malone in as the last guy in the pen -- I would think they'd want to continue to pitch every 5th day to facilitate his development. I truly have no idea who that last spot would be most likely to go to.

czalgosz
03-01-2002, 01:29 PM
If I was in charge -

1. Mark Johnson - He's much better than Josh Paul.
2. Tony Graffanino - no comment needed.
3. Jeff Liefer - much-needed lefty bat off the bench, can spot-start.
4. Brian Simmons - he's much more versatile (god, that word has taken on such a negative connotation ever since Josh Paul) and can do a lot more things than Rowand can. Even though Aaron Rowand is a much better hitter, it's a waste to have him on the team unless he gets at least 250 plate appearances, which he won't get unless someone gets hurt.

Jerry_Manuel
03-01-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
or maybe the guy who saved all those games at Birmingham last year (brain cramp on his name right now)

Edwin Almonte

czalgosz
03-01-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

It seems to me that the no. 5 spot is really between Wright, Glover and Guerrier (Biddle, apparently, is shelved right now and I think they're going to bring Rauch along slowly in the minors to make sure they don't imperil his health). If either Wright or Guerrier wins that battle, I'm sure Glover would stick as the last guy in the bull pen. But if Glover gets the no. 5 spot, I would think that both Wright and Guerrier would be sent down. Who would that leave for the last bullpen spot? Malone, Ulacia (sp?), Ginter, Vining, or maybe the guy who saved all those games at Birmingham last year (brain cramp on his name right now)? I can't imagine that they'd stick Malone in as the last guy in the pen -- I would think they'd want to continue to pitch every 5th day to facilitate his development. I truly have no idea who that last spot would be most likely to go to.

I think you're talking about Almonte. Vining won't make the team - they apparently have given up on him. Those 7 innings he pitched were apparently enough to make it so that the Sox never want to see him again. How else could you explain Bill Pulsipher?

I think that Onan Masaoka ought to get a long look. The Sox need a second lefty in the bullpen. Bringing Wunsch out for every game is just going to cause problems again.

RichH55
03-05-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
If I was in charge -

4. Brian Simmons - he's much more versatile (god, that word has taken on such a negative connotation ever since Josh Paul) and can do a lot more things than Rowand can. Even though Aaron Rowand is a much better hitter, it's a waste to have him on the team unless he gets at least 250 plate appearances, which he won't get unless someone gets hurt.

Still makes you wonder why (if it was there), we didn't pull the trigger on Rowand for Lidle....Lidle as #3 looks better everyday....and even better on the days when they report Parque's velocity to be hoovering in the low 80s