PDA

View Full Version : Pick one: Twins or Tigers to win the division

cheeses_h_rice
09-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Not who do you think is going to win, but who do you want to win?

MarySwiss
09-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Sorry, Cheeses; I am in total denial.

Baby Fisk
09-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Iffen it cain't be them Sox, then let it be the team of my buddy the Tigers fan. I'd like him to experience what I got to experience in 2005. Not that there's a chance in hell of the Tigers winning it all, but you're supposed to say nice things to your friends, even if they are bald faced lies.

The Racehorse
09-21-2006, 04:34 PM
abstain & abstain

cheeses_h_rice
09-21-2006, 04:36 PM
My logic is: I'd rather root for the team that hasn't had a winning season since 1993 than the piranhas who will then have won the Central 4 of the last 5 ****ing years.

itsnotrequired
09-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Feels like an Arbys night...

He gone
09-21-2006, 04:37 PM
I'd rather see the Tigers :whiner:

The Twins just annoy me :angry:

MarySwiss
09-21-2006, 04:44 PM
My logic is: I'd rather root for the team that hasn't had a winning season since 1993 than the piranhas who will then have won the Central 4 of the last 5 ****ing years.
I could probably root for the Tiggers if I didn't hate I-Rod with all the passion of your typical hot-headed, red-headed Irish woman. :smile:

cheeses_h_rice
09-21-2006, 04:50 PM
I could probably root for the Tiggers if I didn't hate I-Rod with all the passion of your typical hot-headed, red-headed Irish woman. :smile:

Believe me, it gives me no pleasure rooting for I-roid, Mop Head Magglio, Kenny Rogers Roasters, Todd Jones or Joel ****ing Zumaya either. Lesser of two evils and all that...

cheeses_h_rice
09-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Feels like an Arbys night...

*****. Post of the week, Miller.

:thumbsup:

Hangar18
09-21-2006, 04:53 PM
The Twinks are going to win this division. They have too much ........
they are on a ............. they are winning lots of games in a short time span ....

Dang it. Ok, theyre just gonna win the division.

SoxSpeed22
09-21-2006, 04:55 PM
*sigh* Go Tigers.
And A's or Yankees in the playoffs.

eriqjaffe
09-21-2006, 04:57 PM
I think the answer that was left off the poll was:

"Go Bears".

cheeses_h_rice
09-21-2006, 04:57 PM
they are on a ............. they are winning lots of games in a short time span ....

Not who do you think is going to win, but who do you want to win?

:)

Chips
09-21-2006, 05:07 PM
who do you want to win?

The White Sox.

bluestar
09-21-2006, 05:14 PM
I definitely want the Tigers to win it over the Twins. I like their "rags-to-riches" story better, and they have led the division for the biggest part of the year. I don't want to see the Twins swoop in and snatch the division away right at the end.

While I admire the Twins' organization for accomplishing what they do with what they have, I really dislike that chip they just can't seem to get off their shoulder concerning the White Sox. The Morneau comments really bothered me. I would love to see the White Sox pitchers go after Morneau in that final series. I know it is petty and trite and ornery and mean, and I know they won't do it, but I can't help it.

ShoelessJoeS
09-21-2006, 05:16 PM
The Tigers really aren't that good. They'll bow out in the first round.

DaleJRFan
09-21-2006, 05:35 PM
If it can't be the Sox, then to hell with the rest of them.

QueerGirrl
09-21-2006, 05:54 PM
If it can't be the Sox, then to hell with the rest of them.

:cheers: :thumbsup:

buehrle4cy05
09-21-2006, 06:32 PM
****, I thought it said "think" instead of "want".

I'd much rather have the world blow up.

socko82
09-21-2006, 06:37 PM
So if the Twins have a 1 game lead on the last day of the year do they pitch Santana and go for the division win? This way they would avoid the Yankees in the first round and give them home field in the first round. It would also mean Santana wouldn't be available until game 3 of the division series.

Or do they hold him back and risk going in as the wild card. That would mean no home field advantage in any round unless they made it to the World Series and opening against the Yankees. But they would have Santana for 2 games. What do you think?

bluestar
09-21-2006, 06:56 PM
So if the Twins have a 1 game lead on the last day of the year do they pitch Santana and go for the division win? This way they would avoid the Yankees in the first round and give them home field in the first round. It would also mean Santana wouldn't be available until game 3 of the division series.

Or do they hold him back and risk going in as the wild card. That would mean no home field advantage in any round unless they made it to the World Series and opening against the Yankees. But they would have Santana for 2 games. What do you think?

I think there is no question they would go for the division win. For one thing, they become the division champions if they win the game. You always want to be the division champion if at all possible. Secondly, they would get to face the A's at home versus playing the Yankees on the road. We all know what an advantage the Metrodome is for the Twins.

oeo
09-21-2006, 07:18 PM

Bah, the Twins are going to flop, just like the Sox. Eventually the bloop hit is going to be caught, the big play isn't going to be made, and the big out isn't going to come. The Twins have been on a torrid pace for far too long...they're going to flop now, or they're going to flop in the playoffs...I'd put money on it.

Grzegorz
09-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Barring a miracle on the southside I'll pull for the Detroit Tigers. So much so that I hope they're the 2006 World Series champions...

Kogs35
09-21-2006, 09:40 PM
if the twins get home field the lions viqueens game has to be moved on sunday the 8th along with the gophers-penn state game the day before.

chisoxmike
09-21-2006, 09:50 PM
If I had to pick one, it wouldn't be the Twins. I hate the Twins. Why would anyone want them to win it?

October26
09-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Anybody but the Twins :angry: Justin Moroneau has a target on his back as far as I'm concerned because of his anti White Sox comments awhile back.

Palehose13
09-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Barring a miracle on the southside I'll pull for the Detroit Tigers. So much so that I hope they're the 2006 World Series champions...

These are my exact feelings also.

tebman
09-21-2006, 10:32 PM

These are my exact feelings also.

And mine as well -- Tiger fans are due. But when I saw the poll I reflexively chose to have the world blow up instead.

HotelWhiteSox
09-21-2006, 11:16 PM
Sox

I went with the Tigers. They remind me of the Sox of last year, especially with all the doubters. I was really mad at Magglio after everything happened, but he wanted to get paid, the Sox didn't want to pay for a DL stint, I give the Sox the edge (esp with their generous offer), but I won't blame someone for wanting to get paid since I've never been in that situation and don't know how I'd react, and I was a big Magglio fan in the past. The guy I really hated on the team was released (Dmitri).

Respect the Twins, the way the play, but hate that they're in our division, and basically hate them. Their announcers/fans also annoy me at times, and I'd really like to punch Justin Morneau (had a chance when I was in Minnesota earlier this year and he was doing a signing but I overslept :redface:). I don't hate Torii Hunter as much as a Sox fan does/should though, from some of his comments I see he just plays hard and liked how I heard him talk about how he respected the Sox and loved the rivalry.

HotelWhiteSox
09-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Bah, the Twins are going to flop, just like the Sox. Eventually the bloop hit is going to be caught, the big play isn't going to be made, and the big out isn't going to come. The Twins have been on a torrid pace for far too long...they're going to flop now, or they're going to flop in the playoffs...I'd put money on it.

I don't know if they will flop, it does kind of remind me of the Indians last year becuase of how insane their run has been, but they have the bullpen to back it up. Saw a stat where they are like 77-0 this year when leading after the 8th, and if you go an inning earlier, the loss column only changes by 1. Unreal

ondafarm
09-21-2006, 11:30 PM
I really hope they tie and the Twins have to trot out Santana for a one game playoff and then both get blown away in easy series. Easy for the opposition I mean.

MUsoxfan
09-21-2006, 11:37 PM
Tigers for many reasons. Their fans have waited longer...they remind me of the '05 Sox.....they have great fans that contribute in a positive way to WSI....Detroit's a great baseball city....and I made a wager with a member at the club I work at that the Tigers would make it farther than the Twins:cool:

davenicholson
09-22-2006, 08:33 AM
I was pleased to see the third choice available. It seems that in the dark ages before last year's glorious run, I could pick a team to root for (or at least root against) in the post season. This year, I want them all to lose.

Oblong
09-22-2006, 09:38 AM
I really hope they tie and the Twins have to trot out Santana for a one game playoff and then both get blown away in easy series. Easy for the opposition I mean.

If the Tigers and Twins finish with the same record then the Tigers would be the division champs and the Twins would be the wild card. There's no playoff game when both teams would make the playoffs. So when looking at the standings the Tigers really have a +1 game advantage.

Oblong
09-22-2006, 09:50 AM
I can make a special train car on the Tiger bandwagon to any Sox fans who want to sign up. I can deck it out in Sox gear. I can put up photos of Kenny Williams from his Tiger playing days. I'll even arrange for Chet Lemon to hang out. I'll put the car ahead of the former Lion and Red Wing fans who became TIger fans this year. We'll drink all the beer and booze before it gets back to them.

Come on, who's with me?

:gulp:

Pilgrim
09-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Its like choosing which puddle of vomit to lick! "Triumph the dog"

Hangar18
09-22-2006, 11:11 AM
I can make a special train car on the Tiger bandwagon to any Sox fans who want to sign up. I can deck it out in Sox gear. I can put up photos of Kenny Williams from his Tiger playing days. I'll even arrange for Chet Lemon to hang out. I'll put the car ahead of the former Lion and Red Wing fans who became TIger fans this year. We'll drink all the beer and booze before it gets back to them.

Come on, who's with me?

Really?

Baby Fisk
09-22-2006, 11:21 AM

Come on, who's with me?

Would we get to meet Sparky Anderson?

ajismyhero
09-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Tigers for many reasons. Their fans have waited longer...they remind me of the '05 Sox.....they have great fans that contribute in a positive way to WSI....Detroit's a great baseball city....and I made a wager with a member at the club I work at that the Tigers would make it farther than the Twins:cool:

I agree. That and the I'd love to watch the Twinkies get swept by the Yankees in the first series..........:smile:

Martinigirl
09-22-2006, 11:44 AM
I don't hate the Tigers, but I do hate the Twins. As a matter of fact, I just told one of my friends from Boston that I would rather cheer for the Yankees than the Twins. She, not surprisingly, didn't agree.

MarySwiss
09-22-2006, 12:39 PM

Come on, who's with me?

This is tempting, Oblong. Trade I-Rod, and I'd seriously consider it. :tongue:

davenicholson
09-22-2006, 01:12 PM

Come on, who's with me?

No, it's all yours. I know, I know, after having spent several months in that God-forsaken area in the mid-90s, I should be for Detroit out of sympathy for its fans who have to live there. Just can't do it.

On the other hand, if your bandwagon is a bulldozer and I can drive, count me in.

Palehose13
09-22-2006, 01:15 PM

Come on, who's with me?

If(I just can't type when yet...) the Sox are eliminated, I'm with you.

Grzegorz
09-22-2006, 09:06 PM
On the other hand, if your bandwagon is a bulldozer and I can drive, count me in.

Man, I haven't laughed like this in a long time... :D:

You're on your game that's for sure!

Kub_Killer_15
09-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Wow tied 30% for the Twins and 30% for the Tigers.

Frater Perdurabo
09-22-2006, 10:10 PM
I loathe the Twins. Pure and simple. Nothing against the state of Minnesota or the cities of Minneapolis or St. Paul, or the fine ice fishing :tongue: people of Minnesota. But the only professional sports team with ties to Minnesota that I like plays home hockey games in Dallas. I'd like to see the Twins and Vikings contracted out of pure spite.

In fact, I hate the Twins more than I hate the Cubs. (I hate Cubs fans more, though.)

Give me the Tigers.

MarySwiss
09-23-2006, 09:23 AM
I loathe the Twins. Pure and simple. Nothing against the state of Minnesota or the cities of Minneapolis or St. Paul, or the fine ice fishing :tongue: people of Minnesota. But the only professional sports team with ties to Minnesota that I like plays home hockey games in Dallas. I'd like to see the Twins and Vikings contracted out of pure spite.

In fact, I hate the Twins more than I hate the Cubs. (I hate Cubs fans more, though.)

Give me the Tigers.

Recently, I've had an epiphany. I realized that my hatred for the Cubs is on a different level from my hatred of the Twins (and Yankees). I hate the Cubs because of their "fans" and because they've gotten a disproportionate amount of attention for years. Other than that, I just pity them. But my hatred of the Twins (and Yankees) is a deep-down, all-consuming loathing for everything about them, which is actually quite pleasant--as long as they don't win anything meaningful. Like a World Series.

Oblong
09-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Sox fans, consider yourself lucky to have the Cubs around in a way. They can draw the riff raff and corporate types and leave the White Sox to real baseball fans. That's how I always viewed Chicago baseball from afar, even before coming to this site.

Oblong
09-23-2006, 12:20 PM
As for the bandwagon... come on board. I'll think of an appropriate way to handle it. I'll ask the mods first so that I don't violate any rules.

MarySwiss
09-23-2006, 12:36 PM
As for the bandwagon... come on board. I'll think of an appropriate way to handle it. I'll ask the mods first so that I don't violate any rules.
Sorry, but I'm not jumping on any other team's bandwagon unless and until the Sox are officially eliminated.

Edit: Down 4-2, so it could be sooner rather than later.