PDA

View Full Version : Last Chance Theory - For the eternal optimist in you

nysox35
09-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Go ahead and flame away, but while feeling sad as hell about our current state, I sent my Dad the following email:

"If we can somehow get hot and finish the year 9-1 (with the loss not coming in the MN series), we’d finish 94-68. If MN goes 4-4 and then we sweep them, they’d finish 94-68. Then we’d have a one game playoff in Chicago vs. MN.

This is not likely, but w/ 1 @ Bos, 3 @ Bal, and 4 vs a pesky KC team, I don’t think it’s impossible.
The greater unlikelihood is us going 9-1.

Sorry for the ramble, but I wanted to tell myself there is still a 1% chance for some twisted reason…"

I know it is probably even less than a 1% chance, but I thought I'd put it out there for those of you who, like me, are hoping and praying these last few games mean something...

CaptainBallz
09-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Go ahead and flame away, but while feeling sad as hell about our current state, I sent my Dad the following email:

"If we can somehow get hot and finish the year 9-1 (with the loss not coming in the MN series), we’d finish 94-68. If MN goes 4-4 and then we sweep them, they’d finish 94-68. Then we’d have a one game playoff in Chicago vs. MN.

This is not likely, but w/ 1 @ Bos, 3 @ Bal, and 4 vs a pesky KC team, I don’t think it’s impossible.

Sorry for the ramble, but I wanted to tell myself there is still a 1% chance for some twisted reason…"

I know it is probably even less than a 1% chance, but I thought I'd put it out there for those of you who, like me, are hoping and praying these last few games mean something...

It's worth a shot.

Go ahead Sox, prove us to be the worst fans ever.

spiffie
09-21-2006, 04:19 PM

I'm not going to flame. I wouldn't bet it at 1000/1 odds, but I'd be the happiest guy around if that happened.

batmanZoSo
09-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Well, the math doesn't say we're done and good for you for staying positive. The Sox are more than welcome to make probably the greatest last week comeback in baseball history.

nysox35
09-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Well, the math doesn't say we're done and good for you for staying positive. The Sox are more than welcome to make probably the greatest last week comeback in baseball history.

I don't know if it's me staying positive as much as it is not wanting to "face the music." Like so many others, I guess I'm not ready to accept this as the end of our run. Just call me a masochist...

sageofthesox
09-21-2006, 04:55 PM

I like your rationale.

Yogi Berra once said something to this effect: "You're not out if it until you're out of it."

Chicken Dinner
09-21-2006, 04:57 PM
You people must not have done very well in math class. :smile:

oeo
09-21-2006, 04:58 PM
The only thing that keeps just a glimmer of hope for me, is that final series is against the Twins. The Sox have 7 games to get 2.5 games back from the Twins, and can go into that series with a shot. But...the team seems dead now, so that's a lot to ask for.

Tekijawa
09-21-2006, 04:59 PM
You are all the type of people who get drunk, think about that old girlfriend from high school or college, and call her at 4am in the morning! Guess what she's married and you just woke up her 2 year old kid... Season's over folks! Put the phone down and just keep drinkin'! Some day another good season will come along! Just try not to be too drunk to remember its number!

esbrechtel
09-21-2006, 05:00 PM
i still have a feeling that they are going to underachive their way to the playoffs...

Baby Fisk
09-21-2006, 05:00 PM
You are all the type of people who get drunk, think about that old girlfriend from high school or college, and call her at 4am in the morning! Guess what she's married and you just woke up her 2 year old kid... Season's over folks! Put the phone down and just keep drinkin'! Some day another good season will come along! Just try not to be too drunk to remember it's number!

:roflmao:

Thursday's Winning Pick To Click: Tekijawa!

fquaye149
09-21-2006, 05:05 PM
You are all the type of people who get drunk, think about that old girlfriend from high school or college, and call her at 4am in the morning! Guess what she's married and you just woke up her 2 year old kid... Season's over folks! Put the phone down and just keep drinkin'! Some day another good season will come along! Just try not to be too drunk to remember its number!

You're damned right. Because then you say, "But admit it: That should have been my kid"

and she says, "well, maybe..." just to shut you up

GO SOX

nysox35
09-21-2006, 05:07 PM

Guilty as charged. I am, indeed, a drunk dialer.
To borrow from your analogy, though, I'm not ready to erase my cell phone just yet...
:smile:

Baby Fisk
09-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Guilty as charged. I am, indeed, a drunk dialer.

There's a new thread somewhere in all of this...

downstairs
09-21-2006, 05:11 PM
You could always look at it this way...

Pretend the Minnesota series is done, and we swept (completely possible).

We're now three games out (in the loss column) with 7 to go.

If...

Sox go 7-0, MIN needs to go 6-2 To clinch.
Sox go 6-1, MIN needs to go 5-3 To clinch.
Sox go 5-2, MIN needs to go 4-4 To clinch.
Sox go 4-3, MIN needs to go 3-5 To clinch.
Sox go 3-4, MIN needs to go 2-6 To clinch.
Sox go 2-5, MIN needs to go 1-7 To clinch.
Sox go 1-6, MIN needs to go 0-8 To clinch.

NOW... the one nice thing is the same thing applies to DET. We can't sweep them, but if we can go 3-0 here, and DET can go 0-3.... the same applies to them.

So here's the deal. And you hope these guys know this. These are MUST WIN games. That means you cannot lose. Not one game. One loss is unacceptable.

Heck, if I were Kenny, I'd hinge every one of the coaches' jobs on this. One loss, everyone's fired. Period. Ozzie, Coop, Joey, Harold.

nysox35
09-21-2006, 05:15 PM
[quote=downstairs;1358598]You could always look at it this way...

If...

quote]

Good analysis...well, here's hoping we go 7-0, though I feel there will be at least one loss in there...

Chicken Dinner
09-21-2006, 05:15 PM
You could always look at it this way...

If...

NOW... the one nice thing is the same thing applies to DET. We can't sweep them, but if we can go 3-0 here, and DET can go 0-3.... the same applies to them.

So here's the deal. And you hope these guys know this. These are MUST WIN games. That means you cannot lose. Not one game. One loss is unacceptable.

Heck, if I were Kenny, I'd hinge every one of the coaches' jobs on this. One loss, everyone's fired. Period. Ozzie, Coop, Joey, Harold.

Supertramp - Dreamer Lyrics

Dreamer, you know you are a dreamer
Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no!
I said dreamer, you're nothing but a dreamer
I said "Far out, - What a day, a year, a laugh it is!"
You know, - Well you know you had it comin' to you,
Now there's not a lot I can do

Dreamer, you stupid little dreamer;
So now you put your head in your hands, oh no!
I said "Far out, - What a day, a year, a laugh it is!"
You know, - Well you know you had it comin' to you,
Now there's not a lot I can do.

Well work it out someday

If I could see something
You can see anything you want boy
If I could be someone-
You can be anyone, celebrate boy.
If I could do something-
Well you can do something,
If I could do anything-
Well can you do something out of this world?

Take a dream on a Sunday
Take a life, take a holiday
Take a lie, take a dreamer
dream, dream, dream, dream, dream along...

Dreamer, you know you are a dreamer
I said dreamer, you're nothing but a dreamer
OH NO!

hold2dibber
09-21-2006, 05:17 PM

Ha! I'm assuming that should have been in teal. Threatening to fire the coaches if they lose a game? Suffice it to say that I'm less than convinced that that would have any positive effect (affect?) whatsoever.

CaptainBallz
09-21-2006, 05:19 PM
So here's the deal. And you hope these guys know this. These are MUST WIN games.

This part made laugh. Out loud.

It makes me want to pat you on the head and say "that's nice...now go play". Then I'd reflect on the tragedy of lost innocence and go to the liquor cabinet and get the whiskey.... and my pistol.

esbrechtel
09-21-2006, 05:21 PM
http://www.cyber-cinema.com/british/dumbdumberBPS.jpg
"So youre saying theres a chance?"

Chicago
09-21-2006, 06:03 PM
http://www.cyber-cinema.com/british/dumbdumberBPS.jpg
"So youre saying theres a chance?"

Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!

The ink below is the Sox ringer I made for my phone...
http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/9/20/229120/Sox%20Ringer.wav
NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE HEART OF A CHAMPION

downstairs
09-21-2006, 06:11 PM
This part made laugh. Out loud.

It makes me want to pat you on the head and say "that's nice...now go play". Then I'd reflect on the tragedy of lost innocence and go to the liquor cabinet and get the whiskey.... and my pistol.

It was supposed to be a joke... teal may have helped. The whole damn thing was supposed to be in teal.

I guess what no one understands is my numbers analysis shows its just about impossible to win. Its a pipe dream. EVEN IF WE GO 11-0... something we haven't done in decades (ever in 100+ years?)... Minnesota needs to go 6-5 to clinch.

Considering we cannot win more than 11 games in 11 games, its over. Done.

No one is getting fired, the players stunk this year. Nothing you can do about it.

StockdaleForVeep
09-21-2006, 06:26 PM
My philosophy, we are not dead untill its mathmatically impossible, not improbable, hell, we still even have a shot at the central

IronFisk
09-21-2006, 07:10 PM
no prayer in hell.

Britt Burns
09-21-2006, 07:14 PM
I still have hope...kind of like the irrational hope that I will win the lottery. It ain't much, but it beats the hell out of hopelessly pouting the next week.

whitesoxfan
09-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Well the Orioles came back and beat the Tiggers today. Let's hope the Orioles play as well against the Twinkies this weekend.

Who knows what can happen? In theory, all we need to cut is 2 1/2 games before next Friday. Certainly not impossible, but then of course we'd have to sweep the Twins at the Dumpdome. I would like anything to just go into Minnesota with a chance of winning or forcing a one-game playoff for the Wild Card/Division.

Oldfellah
09-21-2006, 07:56 PM
to hell with the naysayers.... a shot, even a long one at that,, is still a shot. Season is not over yet.. and if we don't make it,,, at least we might shed some of the bandwagonners.

Skates
09-21-2006, 09:37 PM
The Twinkies are currently losing 6-0 as I write this, if we pull out a winner tonight we move up one on everyone!

Rooney4Prez56
09-22-2006, 09:38 AM
I still have some hope. Besides, there isn't much else to do between Sundays.