PDA

View Full Version : Is Todd Jones the poor man's 2005 Dustin Hermanson?

Gavin
09-21-2006, 12:38 PM
I just don't get this guy. He doesn't strike people out, blows a fair share of saves, but still remains the #1 closer, even with lights out Zumaya. What's his deal?

BigPapaPump
09-21-2006, 12:43 PM
He's only 1/4 in save situations, I wouldn't call him lights out.

Gavin
09-21-2006, 12:47 PM
I just get the feeling that Zumaya is a hell of a lot more intimidating than Todd Jones, who almost guarantees to give up a hit each outing.

Chicken Dinner
09-21-2006, 12:50 PM
I never could figure out why the Tigers use that guy either.

BigPapaPump
09-21-2006, 12:55 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. He's only blown four saves all year, he'll bend but he won't break. He gives up his share of hits but has only allowed 4 HRs, that shows he has confidence in his defense. Given time Zumaya will probably take over, but he's still a rookie and not every rookie can handle the closer's role like Papplebon and Jenks.

IlliniSox
09-21-2006, 02:53 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. He's only blown four saves all year, he'll bend but he won't break. He gives up his share of hits but has only allowed 4 HRs, that shows he has confidence in his defense. Given time Zumaya will probably take over, but he's still a rookie and not every rookie can handle the closer's role like Papplebon and Jenks.

Todd Jones lulls you into thinking you can spank him around. 9 pitches, one BB or hit, and 3 groundouts later the games over. That was a good signing for DET.

The Hermanson question: No. Jones owns 262 career saves.

cleanwsox
09-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Todd Jones lulls you into thinking you can spank him around. 9 pitches, one BB or hit, and 3 groundouts later the games over. That was a good signing for DET.

Yup, he may not have the electric stuff but he has the mental makeup to get the job done.