PDA

View Full Version : 2006 - Where did it go wrong?

whitesoxfan
09-20-2006, 11:55 PM
So as this heartbreaking season draws near the end, one question remains. Where did this season go wrong?

In the middle of June, we looked like not only shoe-in's for the playoffs, but we had a great chance of repeating as World Champs. Obviously, the week with the Cards and Astros at the Cell was probably one of, if not, our best week of the year. The game we lost, we were down by 7 at one point and thanks to Tadahito, we STILL managed to force it to extras. I felt extremely confident at this time that we could make it back to the World Series.

The final game at Wrigley seemed to have made the biggest turnaround in our team. I don't know what happened, but after that game, we lacked the killer instinct we had earlier in the year; Buehrle became not only human, but pretty bad; and it was a game that symbolized the rest of the season (except for the last couple of weeks): our hitting could not bail out our pitching all the time.

Even though we lost that game, we still entered the All-Star break with a 7 game wild-card lead. Everyone (even some players on the Yankees) agreed that the Wild Card would come out of the Central, and that the Tigers and Sox would both be in the postseason. Then we get swept by the Yankees, drawing them right back into the Wild-Card hunt and ultimately failing to put them away.

Of course another moment when we failed to put a team away was when the Twinkies came into the Cell and swept a 3 game set against us in July, drawing the Twins even with us in the standings and ultimately bringing them right back into the race. We had a chance to drive them to perhaps 4 or even 6 games back if we swept them, but we failed to put them away; a theme that became reocurring throughout the season.

Finally, the West coast trip; specifically Oakland. It's clear that Oakland is just a mind game with us and that we need to stop using the ballpark, the city, and everything else as an excuse. Other teams win there (cmon the ****ing Indians won there yesterday), but for whatever reason, we always blow games there somehow, someway. We took leads in all 3 of the games at Oakland and yet we could not put them away. Sure our offense really didn't give our pitchers much breathing room on Friday and Sunday, but our stupidity to pitching to Frank as well as our bullpen continuing to suck cost us a very important game on the Saturday game of the series.

So where exactly did it go wrong? Maybe the option isn't listed here, i.e: Losing 2 of 3 to Boston after getting perhaps our most outstanding starting pitching all season; losing so many games to Cleveland and KC; etc. So let's hear WSI's take on all of this.

EDIT: I tried to post a poll, but for whatever reason it didn't work...sorry.

DumpJerry
09-21-2006, 12:03 AM
Some say it was that third game at The Urinal, some say it was the 19 inning game which killed both Sox, some say it was micromanaging by Ozzie, some say it was the absence of Rowand, some say it was the absence of Pods being an effective leadoff batter, some say it was Garcia not holding runners, some say it was no rest last October, some say it was the bullpen.

Hogwash, I say. It boils down to one incident which sealed our fate:

Mark Buerhle was not allowed to Slip 'n Slide.

Once that happened, being on the White Sox as a player was no longer fun.

Domeshot17
09-21-2006, 12:37 AM
this team had no leadership. The pitches couldnt get guys off the base, the hitters couldnt knock the ones on base in.

Motto of 2006: South Side Quit Men

TheKittle
09-21-2006, 01:11 AM
When that stupid WSI Drinking Team thread started. Yeah let's celebrate a bunch of drunks. Good job guys.

HotelWhiteSox
09-21-2006, 01:45 AM
I will go with the WBC, radio broadcast switching to the Score, the mojito, amphetamines, Ozzie not going to the White House, and karma from signing Ben Wallace.

Edward
09-21-2006, 01:46 AM
When that stupid WSI Drinking Team thread started. Yeah let's celebrate a bunch of drunks. Good job guys.

Yeah, that damn drinking team, they totally made the sox fall into a downward spiral.

:rolleyes:

chidonez
09-21-2006, 02:32 AM
Hey TheKittle: lighten up.

I thought you guys might find this collection (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060920soxside,1,393512.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed) of stats interesting. The author (from the Trib) does a pretty good job of presenting some data without over analyzing it.

Wsoxmike59
09-21-2006, 05:39 AM
The bullpen was pretty atrocious outside of Bobby Jenks and Matt Thornton.

The Sox coughed up leads in sooo many games that I lost count. Their 2nd half record should be the reverse of what it actually is.....and that would've been good enough to get them in to the playoffs.

To sum it up, the 2006 season was a tale of 2 seasons. 1st half they were awesome and they didn't even seem to hit their stride yet when they were +26 games over .500.

The 2nd half was a lot of wasted opportunites and blown leads. I kept waiting for the Sox to get hot at some point in the 2nd half and go on a run.......wishful thinking on my part. Damn! :angry:

P.S. I think the Sox will re-tool a bit for 2007, add a couple of new arms in the bullpen, and a couple of new players in the line up (SS-LF?) and I think we'll challenge the Twins and Tigers for the Central Div.

How many days until Pitchers and Catchers report to Spring Training?? :D:

StockdaleForVeep
09-21-2006, 06:00 AM
The love affair with mccarthy when he clearly had nothing and shoulda been moping up blowouts.

But primarily, the stretch where vasquez was worthless after 6, but i still keep faith

wassagstdu
09-21-2006, 06:47 AM
2005: Win. Or die trying.
2006: Pull. Or die trying.
2007: The kids can play.

Fuller_Schettman
09-21-2006, 07:00 AM
The primary differences from last year are:

A) we don't score early. Remember all of those 1st inning runs last year? Or even the first 60 games this year. That magnifies our lack of an effective leadoff hitter. Pods finally touched .300 for like 1 game in early June I thnk and he has not been the same since.

2) Politte, Cotts, Mackenzie & Brackman. The bullpen was such a strength last year and did not blow leads or let games get out of reach like this year's group.

3) Defense in LF & CF. How many runners have we let advance because of poor decisions, not hitting the cutoff man? How many plays has Mackowiak blown? What are we giving up with Pods in LF? I still love Anderson in CF, but when he is not there it is a GLARING weakness that teams exploit.

4) Baserunning defense. The rest of the league has finally figured out that you can run at will when Buehrle is not pitching. That has killed us this year. And while AJ is no Victor Martinez, he still is not enough of a threat to deter baserunners.

5) RISP. Since the 4th of July, we have left a ton of runners on base. Unfortunately, Jermaine cannot bat every inning. Not to pick on Joe, but last night's game was a good example of this as Crede grounded into THREE rally killing double plays.

6) My bad. Right around the Fourth, I accepted a job andthe Sox began their dive. I was out of work all of 2005. Coincidence? I think not...

Beer Can Chicken
09-21-2006, 07:08 AM
Plenty of blame to go around, everyone is right. I'll throw one out there that hasn't been mentioned yet:
KW standing pat at the trading deadline when it was obvious we needed more speed and a real CF (didn't have to be Andrew Jones). I love Anderson but in a pennant race sometimes the rookies have to step aside.

DumpJerry
09-21-2006, 07:16 AM
Plenty of blame to go around, everyone is right. I'll throw one out there that hasn't been mentioned yet:
KW standing pat at the trading deadline when it was obvious we needed more speed and a real CF (didn't have to be Andrew Jones). I love Anderson but in a pennant race sometimes the rookies have to step aside.
When the other teams in MLB don't want to help you improve, it's kinda hard to make a trade. I'm sure all the Andrew Joneses of the world would have been dealt to the Sox, but Andruw Jones was not available.

I'm sticking with Slip 'N Slide. Buerhle was not the same after that.

TomBradley72
09-21-2006, 07:23 AM
Hey TheKittle: lighten up.

I thought you guys might find this collection (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060920soxside,1,393512.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed) of stats interesting. The author (from the Trib) does a pretty good job of presenting some data without over analyzing it.

This is spot on....pitching and a running game helped us in 2005...those strengths disappeared in 2006. Interesting that we played 33% fewer games vs. sub .500 teams this year. The overall league was much stonger as well.

You could see all our problems during the opening series against Cleveland...we looked like we had become a "station to station" team. When you're line up is Thome/Konerko/Dye/Crede/AJ...that's alot of basepath cloggers.

Side note: Iguchi looked like he lost a step this year as well.

TomBradley72
09-21-2006, 07:32 AM
....and their offense just dried up in the last 30 days:

Uribe: .193 BA
Machowiak: .235
AJ: .239
Thome: .239
Pods:.263
Crede:.263

jenn2080
09-21-2006, 07:35 AM

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: You know you are right. This is a good one!

jabrch
09-21-2006, 07:36 AM
We are about a 90 win team in a a division with two teams that will get pretty close to 100 win teams. What went wrong? Not much - We'd be winning 1/3 of the divisions in baseball, and be the wildcard in the NL. Just some bad breaks along the way.

Sure - we could have hit more consistently, pitched more consistently, or done a better job managing the team/roster. That's always the case, except for the one team that wins it all. But this was still a decent season, all things considering.

Go back to the drawing board and see what we can do for next year - that's the best thing Ozzie and Kenny can do.

soxfanatlanta
09-21-2006, 07:47 AM
We are about a 90 win team in a a division with two teams that will get pretty close to 100 win teams.

You do realize that 14 of those 90 wins came against a horrible division: the NL central, right? If you extract those games, they were an above average team in the first half, and just plain ineffective in the second. Do the same with the other AL Central rivals, and their record against the AL is better.

wdelaney72
09-21-2006, 08:00 AM
As I posted in another thread, the problems all start with our lack of starting pitching.
1) Poor SP = overworked bullpen. They were way overused way too early in the season.
2) Poor SP = Corpseball / Home Run ball / Swinging for the fences. Hey, that's what happens when you seem to constantly be trailing in a game.
3) Playing a utility IF at CF = I can only guess that Ozzie's love affair with Mackowiak in CF stems from the fact that the poor SP led him to believe that he had to sacrifice defense for whatever offense he could get from Mackowiak. This was the wrong decision, but this is the Mackowiak explanation I can come up with.
4) Pitching wins championhips. It's the primary reason we won in 2005.

Quality Starts in 2006 = 77 (Freddy 16, Garland 16, Buehrle 16, Contreras 16, Vazquez 13). Now I realize, that there are 10 games left and that this number could conceivably become 87. It still provves the point that it's down from last year.
Quality Starts in 2005 = 95: Garland 22, Freddy 20, Buehrle 20, Contreras 18, Hernandez 10, BMAC 5

Starting Pitching ERA in 2006 = 4.55 (11th in AL).
Starting Pitching ERA in 2005 = 3.75 (6th in AL).

Starting Pitching Earned Runs in 2006: 9th in AL
Starting Pitching Earned Runs in 2005: 2nd in AL

As bad as the bullpen has been, if you factor the bullpen into total pitching stats the Sox improve for 2006.

It falls on the SP. Yes, sometimes the rest of the team has to pick up the pitching, but the starters set the tone of the game and they failed this year.

samram
09-21-2006, 08:02 AM
It's the pitching, both the bullpen and the starters. The offense was fantastic in the first half and if the pitching had held up its end, they would have been ahead and setting the rotation for the ALDS.

soxfanatlanta
09-21-2006, 08:03 AM
As I posted in another thread, the problems all start with our lack of starting pitching.
1) Poor SP = overworked bullpen. They were way overused way too early in the season.
2) Poor SP = Corpseball / Home Run ball / Swinging for the fences. Hey, that's what happens when you seem to constantly be trailing in a game.
3) Playing a utility IF at CF = I can only guess that Ozzie's love affair with Mackowiak in CF stems from the fact that the poor SP led him to believe that he had to sacrifice defense for whatever offense he could get from Mackowiak. This was the wrong decision, but this is the Mackowiak explanation I can come up with.
4) Pitching wins championhips. It's the primary reason we won in 2005.

Quality Starts in 2006 = 77 (Freddy 16, Garland 16, Buehrle 16, Contreras 16, Vazquez 13). Now I realize, that there are 10 games left and that this number could conceivably become 87. It still provves the point that it's down from last year.
Quality Starts in 2005 = 95: Garland 22, Freddy 20, Buehrle 20, Contreras 18, Hernandez 10, Fingernails on a blackboard 5

Starting Pitching ERA in 2006 = 4.55 (11th in AL).
Starting Pitching ERA in 2005 = 3.75 (6th in AL).

Starting Pitching Earned Runs in 2006: 9th in AL
Starting Pitching Earned Runs in 2005: 2nd in AL

As bad as the bullpen has been, if you factor the bullpen into total pitching stats the Sox improve for 2006.

It falls on the SP. Yes, sometimes the rest of the team has to pick up the pitching, but the starters set the tone of the game and they failed this year.

Right on, mate. Two more:

7th in Hits given up (not too bad)
3rd in HR given up

They have thrown way too many gofer balls this year.

Myrtle72
09-21-2006, 08:27 AM
We are about a 90 win team in a a division with two teams that will get pretty close to 100 win teams. What went wrong? Not much - We'd be winning 1/3 of the divisions in baseball, and be the wildcard in the NL. Just some bad breaks along the way.

I disagree. And maybe that's because I'm okay with higher standards, I dunno.

But it seems to me that the White Sox have really kinda given up in this second half. We have definitely not been doing well considering we have a losing reccord over our last few weeks. In fact, we've only won one out of our last six games. Now, tell me that's a team that's been doing well.

Sure, we have a really tough division. So what? Based on how we did last year and the first half of this year, we should be in this race and instead we're hanging on by a mathematical possibility.

Something went wrong here, that's for sure.

Dan H
09-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Mark Buehrle was the biggest disappointment. The mainstay of the staff since '01 never really had it in my opinion. By far his worst year when he just disappeared totally in the second half. Don't know what is wrong but he looks like a different player out there. It was a joke that he was picked for the All-Star game. His game against the Cubs was as bad it could get.

Ozzie Guillen didn't have a good year. He seemed more pre-occupied with trading insults with people than managing. In my book, if the team slides next year, Guillen should slide out right along with Dusty Baker.

The inability to score runs without the long ball. People made fun of "Ozzie ball," but is there something wrong with getting a single with a man on second?

There is something fundamentally wrong with this team. Williams has to do something in the off season or the Sox will again be looking up at Minnesota and Detroit in '07.

Baby Fisk
09-21-2006, 08:52 AM
The 2006 pitching wasn't nearly as good as the 2005 pitching.

The five starters each had flashes of brilliance, but not throughout the season as a group. There never seemed to be a long stretch of games where all the pitchers were doing well. Contreras started the season where he left off 2005, but faded in the second half. Vazquez and Garcia have muddled through the season. Each time they throw a gem, they followed it with a dud. Buerhle has been the real enigma, having a lousy mediocre year, but he doesn't seem hampered by any injuries. Wha' happened?! I'm leaning towards DumpJerry's slip 'n' slide argument.

As for the bullpen... :angry:

hold2dibber
09-21-2006, 08:56 AM
1) Poor SP = overworked bullpen. They were way overused way too early in the season..

I don't think this is true. According to the Trib today, the Sox bullpen has pitched the least innings of any team in the AL this season.

4) Pitching wins championhips. It's the primary reason we won in 2005. .

Now you're talking. The team ERA is up about one run from last year. That's the reason the Sox fell short this season. Plain and simple. Not enough pitching.

As bad as the bullpen has been, if you factor the bullpen into total pitching stats the Sox improve for 2006..

I'm not sure what you mean by this - the bullpen has not improved for '06. The bullpen ERA balooned by about 1.2 (!) runs from '05 to '06. It wasn't just the starting pitching that fell short. The bullpen did too.

oscars gamble
09-21-2006, 09:01 AM
Pitching and lack of clutch hitting in the late innings of ball games in the second half. THome has good numbers, however, I looked up his numbers on MLB.com in late innings of close games and the numbers are terrible.

Home: 22 games 28 AB 8 runs 5 hits 2 hr 4 rbi .179 avg.

Away: 17 games 22 AB 3 runs 4 hits 2 hr 5 rbi .182 avg

For a guy with 41 home runs and a .286 average. His hitting with the game on the line is pathetic.

As Hawk Says " Don't tell me what you hit, tell me when you hit it."

ChicagoHoosier
09-21-2006, 09:18 AM
It is just so, so, so many things...

I like the discussion, and the stats in the Trib are very eye opening, but when you're close like this but don't make it, there are SO many things.

Just imagine if one of these points everyone was making was better. Better SP, better bullpen, better getting guys home... We'd have made it.

Gavin
09-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Pitching and lack of clutch hitting in the late innings of ball games in the second half. THome has good numbers, however, I looked up his numbers on MLB.com in late innings of close games and the numbers are terrible.

For a guy with 41 home runs and a .286 average. His hitting with the game on the line is pathetic.

Wow, that is a glaring stat for one of the most important hitters on the team. He truly is anti-clutch.

hold2dibber
09-21-2006, 09:32 AM

I suspect that this is primarily the result of opposing managers not allowing Thome to face right hand pitchers in these types of situations. In a late inning of a close game, the opposing manager is going to bring in a lefty to face Thome in most instances. And Thome can't really hit lefties.

ws05champs
09-21-2006, 09:47 AM
Here are my top reasons:

1. Bullpen gets mad cow disease.
2. I believe you will find after the season that a lot of the players in the latter part of the season were playing hurt. I suspect Pods, Dye, Thome, Crede, Konerko, Buehrle. Not enough to be put on the DL or taken out for a while, but enough to hurt their performance.
3. Lack of inspiration (no clubhouse leadership, Ozzie on sensitivity training, no 3 stooges, no song or club "theme," a lack of hunger for a World Series win - after just having one one, being picked as favorites - the club had no chip on their shoulders).
4. Mackowiak in centerfield.
5. Tigers and Twins played better baseball than we did.

soxinem1
09-21-2006, 10:08 AM
Here's my take:

Leaving ST with that bullpen and thinking the starters would carry the load was ridiculous. Sure, we lead MLB in IP per start, but a defending World Champion had no business thinking that bullpen would work, or depending upon three of them who had career years to do it again.

Depending on the returning starters to duplicate their 2005 success without taking into effect that the increased workload may have reprocussions this year. Plus, even great staffs NEVER repeat their efforts in full the following year. Not in this era of MLB. It just does not happen.

Recreating the 2000-2004 White Sox. No speed, poor defense, and a four singles to score a run offense unless a HR was hit.

Overexpectation. The roster looked good on paper, but am I the only one who thinks these guys felt like they were going to just show up and win another title?

But we cannot discount KW's efforts. He made some creative trades and moves that went against the 'stand pat' theory, and they should have worked.

I trust we will have a different 1,2, and 9 hitters next season. I think Iguchi will definitely be dropped in the order for 2007.

BigKlu59
09-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Pretty simple lads..... Glaring stat last night... Hose 5-50 somethin trailing after 8. No come from behinds... conversley the kitties had the karma in the late innings and those games are whats separating the two clubs. As for the Twinks... Tortise and Hare. Sox playing catch up with the Kitties all season while the Twinks just went out, had fun and picked up games here and there. Voila.. in the hunt.
When it came to crunch time the Hose left the cajones at home..

Burleyman wins 4/5 extra games instead of a mediocre .500 season and we're buying playoff tix...

Big Klu 59

Chicken Dinner
09-21-2006, 10:39 AM
Ozzie Guillen didn't have a good year. He seemed more pre-occupied with trading insults with people than managing. In my book, if the team slides next year, Guillen should slide out right along with Dusty Baker.

And don't forget TV commercials and life story TV specials.

AuroraSoxFan
09-21-2006, 10:54 AM

Amen to that. Biggest waste of server space I have ever seen.

But to answer the thread ?, biggest problem I have seen throughout the year is close games. We have lost a LOT of games by 1-2 runs when last year we found a way to hold onto most of them no matter what. Never big on blaming people, but a lot of that does come from the pen.

The Trib jag calling 06 Sox bigger chokers than 69 Cubs listed 10 games we basically handed away. Could also think of 4-5 more on top of it. Had we held onto half of them we'd be in 1st.

palehozenychicty
09-21-2006, 11:14 AM
The pitching, stupids. Both the starters and bullpen were not good enough to get it done this year. Period.

Risk
09-21-2006, 11:28 AM
The Sox can attribute numerous things that went wrong this season:

1) SP has been sub par, especially in the second half (with the exception of Vasquez, who was subpar all year with the exception of the last 1-1 1/2 months;
2) The bullpen, with the exceptions of Thornton and Jenks, has been borderline atrocious (McCarthy has slumped, Cotts has "Marte syndrome," Riske is nothing more than average, don't even get me started with the whole Pollite affair);
3) Way too much reliance on the long ball to score runs;
4) Podsednik has had a horrible year in LF, and has had a poor year in general (especially baserunning);
5) Uribe has been terrible;
6) Rob Mackowiak in CF;
7) Lack of execution and piss poor situational hitting; and finally
8) A much improved AL Central in an already tough American League.

Just my $0.02.

Risk

Hitmen77
09-21-2006, 08:27 PM
Just watch tonight's game to give you a clue.....When we finally get good starting pitching, the offense falls silent. The starting pitching really hurt us in July and August, but the offense has joined in the last month to really kills us. Konerko, Thome, Crede - even Dye - when was the last time they had a big night? It's hard to believe that all four are .300/30/100 guys (give or take 10 pts on avg.). Simply amazing.

Oh yeah, and the bullpen has blown enough games this year to make a difference between brink of elimination or down to the wire.

Plenty of blame to go around. :(:

thomas35forever
09-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Poor starting pitching, lack of clutch hitting, mental mistakes, you name it. It's all there. The bullpen has even crapped away games lately. Maybe we got spoiled by our 3-5 guys and decided we could play like it was 2001-04 again. Sad. Just sad. KW needs to make some major moves this winter.:(:

Bucky F. Dent
09-21-2006, 08:41 PM
I agree with Risk, you combine poor execution in all aspects of the game with an improved AL Central, and you end up on the outside looking in.

That said, we won the World Championship last year, we were in the hunt until the middle of september this year, and IMHO we have a manager, and a GM and maybe even an owner, who are not going to settle for simply being in the Hunt.

So, I'm not complaining too loudly.

fquaye149
09-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Starting pitching, Podsednik, and Ozzie playing Mackowiack.

Do we really need to hem and haw over this? Or am I oversimplifying here?

100 Year Itch
09-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Where did it go wrong?

Most of the starting line-up reached production levels by the ASB that virtually guaranteed certain incentive conditions would be reached.

Jerko
09-21-2006, 09:24 PM
It's hard to control what the starters do, but Ozzie made the same mistakes, over and over, ALL season IMO. The whole Mack in center project was a miserable failure, Cotts hasn't gotten a lefty out in 5 years, gave up a homer to one (Hafner) in like game 2, and still, 150 some games later, it's still happening; the continuous use of the entire bullpen every night, be it 1-0 or 10-1, and the failure to use the same lineup more than twice in a row. 4 days ago Ozzie said he was gonna play his "starters" the rest of the way, and since then, he has used 4 different lineups. I didn't know we had 30 starters. I can't take him seriously anymore with all his double-talk, and I bet some of the players feel the same way.

whitesoxfan
09-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Cotts hasn't gotten a lefty out in 5 years, gave up a homer to one (Hafner) in like game 2, and still, 150 some games later, it's still happening

I could've sworn that was Logan who gave up the homer to Hafner, but the point still remains. Cotts was flat out awful this season.

That game was a huge signal of what the season turned out to be. Bullpen blowing a late lead, Ozzie putting an inexperienced pitcher in a bad situation, and our offense ultimiately saying "**** it" after getting 3 runs.

White_Sock
09-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Dumpjerry
Hogwash, I say. It boils down to one incident which sealed our fate:

Mark Buerhle was not allowed to Slip 'n Slide.

Once that happened, being on the White Sox as a player was no longer fun.

That's it! no slip n slide on the rain deay and bam! Buehrle started to suck and Ozzie gets brainwashed in sensitivity reprograming camp. The next thing you know we are struggling to beat the Royals. Instead of calling out the Sox players he praises the Twinks as pirhanas. Insert teal where it works best for you.

Just a big bummer, but there is always last season and next season. With Kenny Williams you just do not know what the team will look like next year. It's going to be interesting.

Jerko
09-21-2006, 09:58 PM
I could've sworn that was Logan who gave up the homer to Hafner, but the point still remains. Cotts was flat out awful this season.

That game was a huge signal of what the season turned out to be. Bullpen blowing a late lead, Ozzie putting an inexperienced pitcher in a bad situation, and our offense ultimiately saying "**** it" after getting 3 runs.

You're right, it's Morneau that is like 30 for 30 with 30 homers vs. Cotts. My mistake. :redface:

billyvsox
09-21-2006, 10:08 PM
I believe it came with the releasing of Widger first and then Politte. Although they both struggled, they were by all all accounts VERY popular in the clubhouse. A clubhouse that was already shortened by Rowand, El Duque, and Carl Everett. The moves struck me as panic moves, especially since Alomar was brought in to replace Widger. They should have DL'd the guys and called up Stewart to back up AJ. He couldnt have performed worse and at least the players would still be in the clubhouse. This is what most teams do with struggling yet popular players.

fquaye149
09-21-2006, 10:10 PM
I believe it came with the releasing of Widger first and then Politte. Although they both struggled, they were by all all accounts VERY popular in the clubhouse. A clubhouse that was already shortened by Rowand, El Duque, and Carl Everett. The moves struck me as panic moves, especially since Alomar was brought in to replace Widger. They should have DL'd the guys and called up Stewart to back up AJ. He couldnt have performed worse and at least the players would still be in the clubhouse. This is what most teams do with struggling yet popular players.

:rolleyes:

If they aren't tough enough to play good ball when the dugout isn't summer camp that speaks poorly to them as players.

We're not talking about players hating each other--it's not like Dye, Thome, and Konerko are bad clubhouse guys...

We're talking about you making the claim that Widger (CHRIS ****ING WIDGER) and Politte (a guy who is NEVER IN THE DUGOUT) going bye bye were the reason this season ended poorly.

October26
09-21-2006, 10:21 PM
The wheels just fell off after the All-Star break. They never recovered after the Boston extra inning game that Sunday. They won that game, but just fell apart (slowly) after that.
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Bottom line: Incosistent play after the all-star break did them in.

whitesoxfan
09-21-2006, 10:25 PM

Thanks for the laughs.

Widger ****ing blew after that Memorial Day game against the Tribe and Politte was the beneficiary of one good year last year. It was clear that ol' Cliffy was done.

One last thing to make it perfectly clear:
Thome > Rowand
Javy > El Duque
BA = Everett (especially on defense)

On paper we improved over last year. Thome will definitely get some votes for Comeback Player of the Year; he had a hell of a year for a guy that struggled with injuries all of last year. Javy did what he did best; being inconsistant. He has had better games of late, but the offense hasn't really helped him out (see the Boston game and tonight's game, hell he didn't deserve to lose against Oakland either).

The chemistry thing is garbage. We didn't have the Three Stooges this year, but face it...our inconsistant pitching killed us this year. I do want Garcia back next year (he's shown he can still do it, plus no WBC next year), but Javy can take his overpaid $10 million salary out the door. While he was a better option than a 40 year old El Duque who looked like he was on his last fumes last year, he symbolized exactly what was wrong with our pitching...inconsistancy.

Hitmen77
09-21-2006, 10:51 PM
Just watch tonight's game to give you a clue.....When we finally get good starting pitching, the offense falls silent. The starting pitching really hurt us in July and August, but the offense has joined in the last month to really kills us. Konerko, Thome, Crede - even Dye - when was the last time they had a big night? It's hard to believe that all four are .300/30/100 guys (give or take 10 pts on avg.). Simply amazing.

Oh yeah, and the bullpen has blown enough games this year to make a difference between brink of elimination or down to the wire.

Plenty of blame to go around. :(:

Wow, I should have waited an hour to make this statement.:(:

Tonight pretty much represents '06. We get a very good performance out of a starter and the bats and the bullpen are simply awful. It's the anti-2005 White Sox.

gaelhound
09-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Hey, 2005, every damn thing went our way, balls were inches in or out depending on what we needed:every hit was timely:surprise homers or doubles happened every series:balls found our gloves and veered away from our opponents. Not luck, but but the Sox put the ball in play with a certain verve and confidence that like a contagion, killed off our rivals and left us at the top. 2006, things evened out a bit, and the twinks and Tigers played amazing ball. I think the 2007 team will push past the 90 win mark again, and with that, anything can happen.
This is today, and always will be my team, I have been disappointed, but also thrilled. Play hard the rest of the season. I will be proud of the White Sox!

Rooney4Prez56
09-22-2006, 08:11 AM
The rest of the league caught up to us. They saw how we played our game and they played it. However, we did not practice what we preached. We relied on the home run and had O.K. pitching and terrible clutch hitting.

The Twins and Tigers played better down the stretch, and managed to lose on the same nights we lost so we couldn't gain any ground.

It wasn't our year.

MVP
09-22-2006, 05:11 PM
There's no one moment that we can point at.
Plain and simple the reason we'll have no post-season baseball this year are the following in order of importance:
1) Our pitchers didn't pitch like they were capable.
2) This team lacked the hunger that it had last year.
2) Thome stopped hitting after the All-Star break.
3) Uribe and Anderson didn't hit the entire year.
4) There were way too many distractions involving Ozzie Guillen.

miker
09-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Sandy Alomar? :?: