PDA

View Full Version : Attendance vs tickets sold

Paulwny
02-28-2002, 10:53 AM
For a long time mlb has reported attendance at games , turnstile count not tickets sold for that game. A team may have a season ticket base of 15,00 but if 8,000 people show for the game the announced attendance is 8,000. At the end of the year teams announce attendance they never announce tickets sold for the year.
Here's what I'm getting at. JR's deal with the state has an attendance claus. Again, attendance not tickets sold, it's another way to "cook the books". Poor attendance always takes place in April because of the weather and Sept when a team is out of contention.
Anyone have any idea what the difference may be between Comiskey attendance and actual ticket sales.

pearso66
02-28-2002, 11:06 AM
im sure it was a little higher in previous years when ticket prices were down. now if they pay for tickets, most of them will want to go, since they are getting pricey. but im willign to bet that per game there is at least 1,000 people who buy tickets and are no-shows for games. this is especially true for season ticket holders, companies who rent out box seats, and so forth. the only games where this doesnt happen is sold out games, and the only sold out games ive been to are opening night the past 2 years

cheeses_h_rice
02-28-2002, 11:22 AM
I think you're mistaken. The announced attendance, I thought, was always paid attendance. That is, season tickets plus other advance sales plus walkups for that day.

Many a time I've been at Comiskey with 8000 other souls, and seen a figure like 15,000 flash across the scoreboard.

czalgosz
02-28-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I think you're mistaken. The announced attendance, I thought, was always paid attendance. That is, season tickets plus other advance sales plus walkups for that day.

Many a time I've been at Comiskey with 8000 other souls, and seen a figure like 15,000 flash across the scoreboard.

The American League has always used tickets sold as their measurement of attendance. The National League used to use turnstile count until about 10 years ago, when they switched to counting tickets sold.

Paulwny
02-28-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Unless it's changed, at one time it was turnstile count.

Paulwny
02-28-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz

The American League has always used tickets sold as their measurement of attendance. The National League used to use turnstile count until about 10 years ago, when they switched to counting tickets sold.

Thanks, now West should delete the whole thread. Time to stop over thinking conspiricies.