PDA

View Full Version : Podsednik's problem: needs glasses?

Hangar18
09-20-2006, 02:11 PM
I know its 6 months too late, but I will bet his problem at the plate and in the field are because he NEEDS glasses. Lots of very bad swings, poor jumps on balls hit to him, away from him.

cbotnyse
09-20-2006, 02:14 PM
He's gotta know if he needs glasses or not. I think all players (or everyone in general) who do not have 20/20 should just get Lasik surgery and get it over with.

itsnotrequired
09-20-2006, 02:14 PM
C'mon now, Hangar...

batmanZoSo
09-20-2006, 02:16 PM
C'mon now, Hangar...

He probably misses his old glasses. Hello?

Scottiehaswheels
09-20-2006, 02:17 PM
its certainly within the realm of possibility but wouldn't explain his loss of a step or 2.... I read some article somewhere that 60% or more of MLB players are blessed with better than 20/20 vision which helps pick up pitches and that sort of thing...

itsnotrequired
09-20-2006, 02:18 PM
He probably misses his old glasses. Hello?

Eh, I've used that line too many times. Actually, he probably wishes he still had Jon Voight's old LeBaron.

Hangar18
09-20-2006, 02:19 PM
C'mon now, Hangar...

I know he wasnt the best outfielder before he came here, but what else explains him getting the worst jumps on balls in one season? I have a feeling when he signs with another team next season, theyre going to make a big deal about him wearing contacts ............

MadetoOrta
09-20-2006, 02:20 PM
"Women weaken the legs." Mick [Burgess Meredith] in Rocky I:tongue:

MsSoxVixen22
09-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Eh, I've used that line too many times. Actually, he probably wishes he still had Jon Voight's old LeBaron.

:kneeslap: Good one!

Chicken Dinner
09-20-2006, 02:22 PM
I think he's gained about 5+ lbs. also.

Hangar18
09-20-2006, 02:25 PM
My seats are directly behind Pods. I happened to be telling my theory to some of the guys in my section during a game in June, when just then, a lazy fly ball was hit to LF. I thought GREAT, easy out. Pods stepped back, froze, then quickly recovered to race in for the catch. He ended up playing the ball on a hop for a single. I was Furious. Everyone in my section went Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

CHIsoxNation
09-20-2006, 02:26 PM
I know he wasnt the best outfielder before he came here, but what else explains him getting the worst jumps on balls in one season? I have a feeling when he signs with another team next season, theyre going to make a big deal about him wearing contacts ............

He's probably just a bad outfielder. The guy spent a lot of time down in the minors before he was finally called up, I'm sure it wasn't all because of his lack of hitting. IMO, he has looked pretty bad out there in LF since the day we brought him over in 2005.

Kub_Killer_15
09-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Hes just trying to look good for his wife.:redneck

CHISOXFAN13
09-20-2006, 02:28 PM
My seats are directly behind Pods. I happened to be telling my theory to some of the guys in my section during a game in June, when just then, a lazy fly ball was hit to LF. I thought GREAT, easy out. Pods stepped back, froze, then quickly recovered to race in for the catch. He ended up playing the ball on a hop for a single. I was Furious. Everyone in my section went Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Did King Mr. Bad Jump Aaron Rowand need glasses last year, too?

soxfan13
09-20-2006, 02:29 PM

No he just wasnt good at reading the ball off the bat:tongue:

Hangar18
09-20-2006, 02:29 PM

I think that was Aaron Rowand circa 2004

Tekijawa
09-20-2006, 02:30 PM
I honestly would like to see him go on the Adam LaRoche program... I think it more FOCUS (mental) than FOCUSING (eyes).

35th&Shields
09-20-2006, 02:32 PM
I know its 6 months too late, but I will bet his problem at the plate and in the field are because he NEEDS glasses. Lots of very bad swings, poor jumps on balls hit to him, away from him.

Perhaps he could just try the "See Clearly Method" that's advertised incessantly on the Score and ESPN1000.

jenn2080
09-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Is this thread a joke?!?!?! :rolleyes: We are blaming Pods lack of outfields skills and at bats as he needs glasses? Come on you have to be kidding me. This isn't 2nd grade he should know by now if he needs glasses.

Hangar18
09-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Is this thread a joke?!?!?! :rolleyes: We are blaming Pods lack of outfields skills and at bats as he needs glasses? Come on you have to be kidding me. This isn't 2nd grade he should know by now if he needs glasses.

Um actually NO, this thread isnt a Joke. its a legitimate theory in trying to figure out how a guy can become so bad in the outfield in one season. No,
Im not kidding. And I know this isnt 2nd grade. :angry:

Fungo
09-20-2006, 02:40 PM
http://images.askmen.com/imagesmodel/2001_apr/lisa_dergan/lisa_dergan_150.jpg

Yeah, he needs glasses.:rolleyes:

Tekijawa
09-20-2006, 02:42 PM

Wow, you actually found a "family friendly" picture of her... how long did that take?

PS... Imagine what she looks like when you're wearing beer goggles!

jenn2080
09-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Maybe Mr. Walker and Mr. Guillen can talk to Mr. and Mrs. Pods and tell them that Scottie needs to go to Lenscrafters otherwise he will be at the front of the class for the rest of the year squinting.

itsnotrequired
09-20-2006, 02:44 PM
PS... Imagine what she looks like when you're wearing beer goggles!

She probably looks like a panda bear.

This thread is in the crapper. Horsemaster Jenn has spoken...

CHISOXFAN13
09-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Maybe Mr. Walker and Mr. Guillen can talk to Mr. and Mrs. Pods and tell them that Scottie needs to go to Lenscrafters otherwise he will be at the front of the class for the rest of the year squinting.

We should all chip in a dime so he can get laser surgery instead!!

Hangar18
09-20-2006, 02:56 PM

I keep forgetting thats what she looks like :cool:

kittle42
09-20-2006, 02:59 PM

You should have held up a few fingers, asked him how many you were holding up, and waited for his answer. Then you could have determined this scientifically.

Jerko
09-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Mrs. Pods aside, Pods got horrible jumps last year too. I remember a ball Rowand caught in left because Pods had no idea where it was.

itsnotrequired
09-20-2006, 03:04 PM
The problem more likely is with his shoddy teeth.

:KW

"Pods needs braces!"

:ozzie

"Dental Plan!"

:KW

"Pods needs braces!"

:ozzie

"Dental Plan!"

:reinsy

"Wait a minute...if we give up the dental plan, I'll have to pay for Pods braces! People, listen!"

DumpJerry
09-20-2006, 03:07 PM
Um actually NO, this thread isnt a Joke. its a legitimate theory in trying to figure out how a guy can become so bad in the outfield in one season. No,
Im not kidding. And I know this isnt 2nd grade. :angry:
Wait a minute. This is Scott Podsednik we're talking about, right? The same guy who was perfectly poised under a fly ball for the third out against the Indians in late 2005 and watched the ball land 10 feet to his right?

Pods was never a great outfielder. He was/is mediocre.

DumpJerry
09-20-2006, 03:09 PM
Mrs. Pods aside, Pods got horrible jumps last year too. I remember a ball Rowand caught in left because Pods had no idea where he was.
fixed it for ya.

salty99
09-20-2006, 03:49 PM
This is the funniest thread I've read in some time. I think someone needs to talk to Pods immediately and ask him about this.

Hangar18
09-20-2006, 03:49 PM
This is the funniest thread I've read in some time. I think someone needs to talk to Pods immediately and ask him about this.

Unfortuneately, its 6 months too late

infohawk
09-20-2006, 03:57 PM
Wait a minute. This is Scott Podsednik we're talking about, right? The same guy who was perfectly poised under a fly ball for the third out against the Indians in late 2005 and watched the ball land 10 feet to his right?
I was at that game! It looked really, really weird. Anyway, Pods limited MLB career has a definitive pattern. His first year he was good, his second year bad, third year good, fourth year bad. Fortunately for the Sox, 2005 was his good year in the two-year cycle.

ajismyhero
09-20-2006, 03:59 PM
I think Hangar has been watching a little bit too much Major League lately.....Pods is not Charlie Sheen, Wild Thing. I can't say for sure, but don't you think that all MLB players probably go through some kind of once a year check-up that includes an vision test?

Hangar18
09-20-2006, 04:06 PM
I think Hangar has been watching a little bit too much Major League lately.....Pods is not Charlie Sheen, Wild Thing. I can't say for sure, but don't you think that all MLB players probably go through some kind of once a year check-up that includes an vision test?

Well, thats what Id like to get to the bottom of. I dont think they test for that however. Anyone remember a Scott Eyre? He had trouble pitching past an inning and looked clueless out there. Sox released him, and in the offseason, doctors discovered he had an adult form of add (gets anxiety attacks that dont let him "focus") got a few prescriptions, and suddenly turned into a better pitcher. I'm just hoping the SOX were thinking out of the box this season regarding Pods' play in LF this season

Baby Fisk
09-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Haha! Maybe we were all blinded by Rowand's fielding ineptitude to notice Podsednik's fielding ineptitude.

Ah god bless you Hangar for restoring the carnival atmosphere! :dancers:

Hangar18
09-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Ah god bless you Hangar for restoring the carnival atmosphere! :dancers:

Heh heh. not to hijack here, but remember when people laughed and mocked my suggestion that the SOX angle the seats down the lines?

Baby Fisk
09-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Heh heh. not to hijack here, but remember when people laughed and mocked my suggestion that the SOX angle the seats down the lines?
A group of us noticed the beautifully angled seats at PNC Park and immediately thought of you. :cool:

thomas35forever
09-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Damn, you beat me to it. Aren't you forgetting a quote from Major League II?

"Remember, it's not your fielding they'll be worried about. It's your image."

cheeses_h_rice
09-20-2006, 04:42 PM

Welcome back to WSI, Hangar.

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/party/party0007.gif

ChiSoxNationPres
09-20-2006, 05:46 PM

Who is he, Ricky "the Wild Thing" Vaughn?

TaylorStSox
09-20-2006, 06:47 PM
This is definitely among the top 5 most ridiculous threads I've ever seen on any message board ever. Glasses? The guy has poor instincts and aboslutely no confidence. That combination will make an OF, playing in the toughest OF in the majors, look real bad alot.

SoxSpeed22
09-20-2006, 09:23 PM
The sun was in his eyes all the time at the beginning and middle of the year, eye damage maybe? :dunno:
I'm not a doctor.

StockdaleForVeep
09-20-2006, 09:45 PM

http://www.scorpiooblog.com/uploads/a/amandine/370.gif
"Probably misses his old glasses"

LongLiveFisk
09-20-2006, 10:21 PM

That is the coolest "smilie" ever. :worship:

Mercy!
09-20-2006, 11:34 PM
The sun was in his eyes all the time at the beginning and middle of the year....
Including night games!
http://www.mikesfreegifs.com/main4/funny/eye_chart_out_of_focus_md_wht.gif
(http://www.mikesfreegifs.com/main4/funny/eye_chart_out_of_focus_md_wht.gif)

jenn2080
09-20-2006, 11:39 PM

stop thinking logically.

jenn2080
09-20-2006, 11:45 PM
Well, thats what Id like to get to the bottom of. I dont think they test for that however. Anyone remember a Scott Eyre? He had trouble pitching past an inning and looked clueless out there. Sox released him, and in the offseason, doctors discovered he had an adult form of add (gets anxiety attacks that dont let him "focus") got a few prescriptions, and suddenly turned into a better pitcher. I'm just hoping the SOX were thinking out of the box this season regarding Pods' play in LF this season

Pods problem is not glasses. Pods problem is that he is sucking. End of story. I can not wait for you to come up with some off the wall story tomorrow. Great thread to start your come back.:rolleyes:

Mercy!
09-21-2006, 01:05 AM
....I can not wait for you to come up with some off the wall story tomorrow. Great thread to start your come back.:rolleyes:
Steff, is that you? :rolleyes:

tstrike2000
09-21-2006, 01:57 AM
Well, after the season's over this week, someone else can worry if Pods has eye problems after he either gets traded or released.

StockdaleForVeep
09-21-2006, 05:59 AM

Welcome back to WSI, Hangar.

That is the greatest dimebag smiley ever, where is it from

:Rocker:

Hangar18
09-21-2006, 08:15 AM
Pods problem is not glasses. Pods problem is that he is sucking. End of story. I can not wait for you to come up with some off the wall story tomorrow. Great thread to start your come back.:rolleyes:

Steff?

cheeses_h_rice
09-21-2006, 08:43 AM
That is the greatest dimebag smiley ever, where is it from

:Rocker:

I take no credit for it. Johnbasedowyoda used it first, and we were both tipped to http://www.planetsmilies.com by SouthSideHitmen on the WSIDT board.

SoxSpeed22
09-21-2006, 11:48 AM
Including night games!
http://www.mikesfreegifs.com/main4/funny/eye_chart_out_of_focus_md_wht.gif
(http://www.mikesfreegifs.com/main4/funny/eye_chart_out_of_focus_md_wht.gif)When games started at 7:30 in summer, the sun was right in his face, as it was setting.

palehozenychicty
09-21-2006, 11:50 AM

:rolling:

Hangar18
09-22-2006, 09:41 AM
This is definitely among the top 5 most ridiculous threads I've ever seen on any message board ever. Glasses? The guy has poor instincts and aboslutely no confidence. That combination will make an OF, playing in the toughest OF in the majors, look real bad alot.

you think so? Time will bear this one out. But I do remember, everyone Loathing the defense of Carlos Lee, saying he had "Poor Instincts", was a "butcher", and that having Pods was going to "significantly improve" our Outfield Defense. He has way more speed, he can bunt, and he'll get to balls Lee couldnt get to.

Funny how everyone forgot all of that ..............

Baby Fisk
09-22-2006, 10:19 AM
you think so? Time will bear this one out. But I do remember, everyone Loathing the defense of Carlos Lee, saying he had "Poor Instincts", was a "butcher", and that having Pods was going to "significantly improve" our Outfield Defense. He has way more speed, he can bunt, and he'll get to balls Lee couldnt get to.

Funny how everyone forgot all of that ..............

Ah ha! At last we reach the centre of the metaphoric tootsie pop!

This whole thread is just a variation on Hangar's well-documented hatred of the Pods-for-Lee trade. Bravo, Hangar! The season may be over, but you are still in mid-season form!

Hangar18
09-22-2006, 02:30 PM
Ah ha! At last we reach the centre of the metaphoric tootsie pop!

This whole thread is just a variation on Hangar's well-documented hatred of the Pods-for-Lee trade. Bravo, Hangar! The season may be over, but you are still in mid-season form!

hey now, dont bait this thread man, heh heh. The Pods of 06 is the Pods I thought we'd be getting in 05. Without Pods, we dont make the WS I believe last season, so it was a gamble Kenny took and it paid off. Waiting for the "Hangar still says Lee is better" posts, heh heh

fquaye149
09-22-2006, 02:50 PM
hey now, dont bait this thread man, heh heh. The Pods of 06 is the Pods I thought we'd be getting in 05. Without Pods, we dont make the WS I believe last season, so it was a gamble Kenny took and it paid off. Waiting for the "Hangar still says Lee is better" posts, heh heh

Heh heh, it wasn't a gamble, heh heh.

It was Kenny recognizing that we needed pitching in 2005 and that with Lee he couldn't afford to do it.

Lee v. Pods in the lineup is a moot point. Lee gives us much more production and with Lee instead of Pods, and the pitchign we had last year we win more games. Period.

The post BabyFisk quoted has no relevance to the thread. What we said about Lee was true then and true now. He still plays lousy defense. He doesn't bunt. He doesn't hustle. What he does is put up power numbers. Outstanding power numbers.

Pods didn't do much of anything for us this year. He didn't do much for us last year besides HIT WELL. He didn't hit well this year, and that's the difference. Does everyone who has a bad season offensively need glasses?

This is getting more asinine by the minute.... Just put a Carlos Lee ribbon in your signature and get it over with.

Hangar18
09-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Heh heh, it wasn't a gamble, heh heh.

It was Kenny recognizing that we needed pitching in 2005 and that with Lee he couldn't afford to do it.

Lee v. Pods in the lineup is a moot point. Lee gives us much more production and with Lee instead of Pods, and the pitchign we had last year we win more games. Period.

The post BabyFisk quoted has no relevance to the thread. What we said about Lee was true then and true now. He still plays lousy defense. He doesn't bunt. He doesn't hustle. What he does is put up power numbers. Outstanding power numbers.

Pods didn't do much of anything for us this year. He didn't do much for us last year besides HIT WELL. He didn't hit well this year, and that's the difference. Does everyone who has a bad season offensively need glasses?

This is getting more asinine by the minute.... Just put a Carlos Lee ribbon in your signature and get it over with.

So It wasnt a gamble to trade one of your top hitting outfielders for a guy hitting .244 to play a position usually reserved for power guys? Even when Kenny Williams himself said he needed "to gamble" and change the teams orientation towards a "Defense" and "Speed" oriented one and made the trade?? You must have missed the press conference.
Your also forgetting your history. The SOX were looking to add a SPEED and DEFENSE guy and wanted Omar Vizquel. They had a deal for him, and he abruptly changed his mind, and signed with the Giants instead. Kenny had to go with PLAN "B", which was to trade Carlos Lee for said .240 hitting outfielder. When the trade was made? All we were told was suddenly Lee was a cancer in the clubhouse, was selfish, slow, and a butcher on defense. With Pods, were getting a guy who will Significantly upgrade the defense and has great speed. I thought yeah right.
Why dont we acknowledge that the fact that 2 parts of Scotts game (the only parts he had) went very bad, very fast. He wasnt this bad a player last year. There absolutely must be more to why he suddenly cant hit or play defense, or run for that matter (Sorry, "he just sucks" doesnt count as an answer)

After hes gone, we'll hear all kinds of stories on how Scotty was a cancer in the clubhouse, was selfish, slow, and a butcher on defense, and you'll agree and say good riddance right?

Mercy!
09-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Gee, Hanger, I thought the thing about Pods needing glasses was rather clever, and everyone predictably rushed in to take the bait and argue with you. That's always funny.

But why have you branched out (actually I guess, YOU took the bait on this) and started rehashing almost-ancient history about C. Lee? Come on, 2007 is just around the corner. Let it go!

I kind of miss Steff and her rolling eyes, don't you? :rolleyes:

Hangar18
09-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Gee, Hanger, I thought the thing about Pods needing glasses was rather clever, and everyone predictably rushed in to take the bait and argue with you. That's always funny.

But why have you branched out (actually I guess, YOU took the bait on this) and started rehashing almost-ancient history about C. Lee? Come on, 2007 is just around the corner. Let it go!

Because everyone predictably, now is saying that Pods was NEVER good in the outfield (despite that being one of the reasons we traded for him) and his defense has always been terrible. Im pointing out, all the hype during that trade, that followed Pods. Everyone seems to have forgotten that.
People are also saying this really wasnt a "gamble" at the time (LOL) but it was. It worked out for us. Kenny even said so. We have a Trophy (I have one at home too, heh heh)

Im saying .................... What else can explain a guy becoming completely clueless in LF in one season? (Again, the 5th grade "its because he sucks" doesnt answer the question) Im offering that this guy simply cant see.

Jerko
09-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Is there a headache smilie????

http://woofboard.com/forum/images/smilies/headache.gifhttp://malachimad.xmbforums.com/images/smilies/headache.gif

DumpJerry
09-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Because everyone predictably, now is saying that Pods was NEVER good in the outfield (despite that being one of the reasons we traded for him) and his defense has always been terrible. Im pointing out, all the hype during that trade, that followed Pods. Everyone seems to have forgotten that.
People are also saying this really wasnt a "gamble" at the time (LOL) but it was. It worked out for us. Kenny even said so. We have a Trophy (I have one at home too, heh heh)

Im saying .................... What else can explain a guy becoming completely clueless in LF in one season? (Again, the 5th grade "its because he sucks" doesnt answer the question) Im offering that this guy simply cant see.
Who said his play in the outfield was one of the reasons we traded for him? Kenny? Nope. Ozzie? Naw. Uncle Jerry? Nada. They said it was his speed on the basepaths and his ability to be a lead-off hitter.

Remember, Pods spent 7 years in the minors! There is a reason for that.

You are thisclose to my ignore list.

JohnBasedowYoda
09-23-2006, 02:18 PM
wow, can't believe I just saw this golden thread

Frater Perdurabo
09-23-2006, 04:41 PM
I'm not automatically inclined to buy into the so-called tinfoil conspiracy theories for which Hangar is famous. But I do enjoy reading them!

Pods is five months older than me. I just got glasses for the first time. It's amazing just how much better I can now read distant road signs as well as the chalk/marker board on the other side of a classroom.

I have no idea if Pods wears corrective lenses now, or if he needs them.

But I'd like to know if the Sox have a team optometrist and/or opthamologist.

I'd also like to know if Ozzie has had his vision checked recently, especially regarding his ability to see how his center fielders play the field.
:tongue:

JohnBasedowYoda
09-23-2006, 04:50 PM
I'm not automatically inclined to buy into the so-called tinfoil conspiracy theories for which Hangar is famous. But I do enjoy reading them!

Pods is five months older than me. I just got glasses for the first time. It's amazing just how much better I can now read distant road signs as well as the chalk/marker board on the other side of a classroom.

I have no idea if Pods wears corrective lenses now, or if he needs them.

But I'd like to know if the Sox have a team optometrist and/or opthamologist.

I'd also like to know if Ozzie has had his vision checked recently, especially regarding his ability to see how his center fielders play the field.
:tongue:

You ask a lot!

DumpJerry
09-24-2006, 11:14 PM
Did Ozzie keep Pods out of the lineup for the last two home games because Lenscrafters did not get the glasses ready in time?

Chips
09-24-2006, 11:19 PM
Did Ozzie keep Pods out of the lineup for the last two home games because Lenscrafters did not get the glasses ready in time?

:rolling:

Mercy!
09-24-2006, 11:24 PM
Hanger, how have you determined that Pods doesn't already wear corrective lenses in the form of contacts? Have you done your research? Given all the thought you've put into this subject and time you've put into this thread, one would think so.

DumpJerry
09-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Hanger, how have you determined that Pods doesn't already wear corrective lenses in the form of contacts? Have you done your research? Given all the thought you've put into this subject and time you've put into this thread, one would think so.
Mercy!, don't make assumptions.