PDA

View Full Version : Premature WS05 nostalgia

Vernam
09-20-2006, 11:13 AM
I've been sort of down for the past few days, unable to figure quite why. You might say the reason is obvious to any Sox fan, but I've never been one to sulk over losses, having watched my dad waste too many years doing that. Being a good fan doesn't require, IMO, that we be miserable over a loss or even over a lost season.

But something clicked inside last night during and after the game. Maybe it was seeing AJ's slam, or how Freddie pitched, or how the thinned-out crowd mustered a cheer of "Bobby, Bobby" as Jenks struck out the side in the ninth. And maybe it was the clear autumn weather this morning. Walking east down Jackson to Wacker in the Loop, I felt a rush of emotion, thinking of the parade and a thousand other memories. All at once, I was like a teenager whose first big crush had ended prematurely.

I've got nothing but positive feelings about the Sox, with all their flaws. But the fleeting nature of time has smacked me dead in the face. It shouldn't have been a surprise, because I thought about it a lot last October. "Enjoy this," I kept thinking. "It's been a long time, and it could be another long time in the future." Each season is distinct. This year's team would have been different even if Kenny had brought back the entire 2005 squad. The 162-game schedule takes a toll unlike any other sport, on pitchers and position players alike; that partly accounts for the unpredictability that makes baseball unique. So I didn't take anything for granted at any point this season. Anyone who assumed the playoffs were a cinch -- after 88 years of evidence to the contrary -- just wasn't paying enough attention to Sox history and the sport itself.

Today's column by Morrissey (link (http://tinyurl.com/fcoy3)) has a great quote from Konerko. "This game, you can't try to play harder or be more intense. You go backward when that happens," he said. (See: Podsednik, Scott) "You just have to do what you do, and then if it works out, it works out. I know most people would say, 'Make it happen.' It doesn't work like that. It didn't work like that last year . . . This clubhouse is exactly the same as it was then. Anybody who was around knows that . . . It's just that sometimes you get it done, and sometimes you don't. We need to get it done a lot over the next [11 games]."

We won 11 out of 12 last year in the playoffs. They could go on that kind of run again, not that I expect it. If they do, it won't be because someone fired them up, Lombardi-style. This ain't the NFL. Professionalism in baseball isn't always easy to spot, but these guys have it, and it counts for more than any amount of rah-rah bull****. One way to spot it: Not a single anonymous quote where one player blames another for the collapse.

I'm not ready to accept the wave of nostalgia that hit me all at once this morning. The feeling is bittersweet, especially knowing that the 2007 team may look or even needs to look radically different. But I won't let go until Sunday at the earliest, when the 2006 team leaves our field for probably the last time.

Vernam

itsnotrequired
09-20-2006, 11:36 AM
:worship: :worship: :worship:

tebman
09-20-2006, 11:54 AM
I've been sort of down for the past few days, unable to figure quite why. You might say the reason is obvious to any Sox fan, but I've never been one to sulk over losses, having watched my dad waste too many years doing that. Being a good fan doesn't require, IMO, that we be miserable over a loss or even over a lost season.

But something clicked inside last night during and after the game. Maybe it was seeing AJ's slam, or how Freddie pitched, or how the thinned-out crowd mustered a cheer of "Bobby, Bobby" as Jenks struck out the side in the ninth. And maybe it was the clear autumn weather this morning. Walking east down Jackson to Wacker in the Loop, I felt a rush of emotion, thinking of the parade and a thousand other memories. All at once, I was like a teenager whose first big crush had ended prematurely.

I've got nothing but positive feelings about the Sox, with all their flaws. But the fleeting nature of time has smacked me dead in the face. It shouldn't have been a surprise, because I thought about it a lot last October. "Enjoy this," I kept thinking. "It's been a long time, and it could be another long time in the future." Each season is distinct. This year's team would have been different even if Kenny had brought back the entire 2005 squad. The 162-game schedule takes a toll unlike any other sport, on pitchers and position players alike; that partly accounts for the unpredictability that makes baseball unique. So I didn't take anything for granted at any point this season. Anyone who assumed the playoffs were a cinch -- after 88 years of evidence to the contrary -- just wasn't paying enough attention to Sox history and the sport itself.

Today's column by Morrissey (link (http://tinyurl.com/fcoy3)) has a great quote from Konerko. "This game, you can't try to play harder or be more intense. You go backward when that happens," he said. (See: Podsednik, Scott) "You just have to do what you do, and then if it works out, it works out. I know most people would say, 'Make it happen.' It doesn't work like that. It didn't work like that last year . . . This clubhouse is exactly the same as it was then. Anybody who was around knows that . . . It's just that sometimes you get it done, and sometimes you don't. We need to get it done a lot over the next [11 games]."

We won 11 out of 12 last year in the playoffs. They could go on that kind of run again, not that I expect it. If they do, it won't be because someone fired them up, Lombardi-style. This ain't the NFL. Professionalism in baseball isn't always easy to spot, but these guys have it, and it counts for more than any amount of rah-rah bull****. One way to spot it: Not a single anonymous quote where one player blames another for the collapse.

I'm not ready to accept the wave of nostalgia that hit me all at once this morning. The feeling is bittersweet, especially knowing that the 2007 team may look or even needs to look radically different. But I won't let go until Sunday at the earliest, when the 2006 team leaves our field for probably the last time.

Vernam
:thumbsup:

Thanks, Vernam. You've given voice to what I've been thinking the last couple of days. I thought exactly the same thing last October, and told my friends and family too: enjoy the feeling, because we don't know when it'll come again.

No matter what happens this season, next season it all starts again.

veeter
09-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Very nicely stated. I felt good this morning when I read that Reinsdorf still gets many "thank you's" each day. I've gotten caught up with all the emotion this season. I have my guys I'm dissappointed in, but you're right, the men on this team are class all the way.

cheezheadsoxfan
09-20-2006, 12:05 PM

Vernam

Thank you for a very intellegent post. I particularly like your point about baseball vs football. (Cue George Carlin) All the fans ranting about "heart" or not "hungry enought", how do your judge that? Not trying to shift blame says a lot about this team.

Vernam
09-20-2006, 12:55 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship:I'm not worthy! :redneck

It really was weird how the sensation hit me this a.m. while walking the path of the victory parade. I'm interested to hear about others feeling the same way, especially with all the bitterness expressed in recent weeks. I agree the Reinsdorf column was nice, though some Trib editor used a pull quote that made it sound like he's given up on the season. :angry:

Vernam

itsnotrequired
09-20-2006, 01:21 PM
I'm not worthy! :redneck

It really was weird how the sensation hit me this a.m. while walking the path of the victory parade. I'm interested to hear about others feeling the same way, especially with all the bitterness expressed in recent weeks. I agree the Reinsdorf column was nice, though some Trib editor used a pull quote that made it sound like he's given up on the season. :angry:

Vernam

The cool weather definitely has me feeling more optimistic. The same thing happened last year the day after the Sox won the WS. I knew they had won but it really didn't "hit me" until I stepped out the door the brisk October morning. The recent cool weather brought back a lot of those feelings.

ws05champs
09-20-2006, 03:59 PM
I thought about it a lot last October. "Enjoy this," I kept thinking. "It's been a long time, and it could be another long time in the future." Each season is distinct.

Reminds me a lot about one columnist wrote (I don't remember her name) after the World Series win. She said in effect that we need to hold on to this moment and remember it. Even if we win the Series in '06 or ever again, it will never be like the feeling we had after the '05 Series. Virtually no one alive will ever know what it is like to win the first World Series in 88 years twice.

hawkjt
09-20-2006, 04:25 PM
yea , the sense of melancholy has been hanging over me the last few days also as it became apparent that Sunday may be the last time we see some of the Heros of 05 in a sox uni.

It is almost like 05 and 06 ran together with the short offseason, basically the same core group, and the defending world champs mantra all season.

It feels like the end of an tremendous feel good era of sox baseball. maybe not but I could see it that way.

But it is not over til its over and I just want them going up to minny within three games. Lets go down guns blazing in a valiant defense of our title.

Huisj
09-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Interesting you posted this today. Last night, for whatever reason, I decided to pop in the Sox Pride DVD and watch a little of it before I went to bed. I wanted to see highlights of the Joe Crede homer a year ago today, and then I think I turned it off when it got to the playoffs section.

I watched the rest of it this morning, and was amazed to actually find myself fighting back a tear or two when I saw highlights of Podsednik's homer in game 2, Blum's homer in game 3, and the last out on the grounder to Uribe. What a strange feeling, even almost a year later.

Vernam
09-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Interesting you posted this today. Last night, for whatever reason, I decided to pop in the Sox Pride DVD and watch a little of it before I went to bed. I wanted to see highlights of the Joe Crede homer a year ago today, and then I think I turned it off when it got to the playoffs section.

I watched the rest of it this morning, and was amazed to actually find myself fighting back a tear or two when I saw highlights of Podsednik's homer in game 2, Blum's homer in game 3, and the last out on the grounder to Uribe. What a strange feeling, even almost a year later.That's exactly what I was getting at, Huisj. Last spring I was afraid the feelings wouldn't last, but today I had the sense that they might even get stronger as years pass, especially if the Sox don't win again. Let's hope they do, though!

Vernam

Patrick134
09-20-2006, 06:14 PM
it's a natural feeling. Heck the Yankees have won 27 world series and the fans get insane when they go a few years straight without winning one. After waiting so long, we all wanted another one right away. Now i know as a chicago fan you have to get greedy when your team is very good and win as many as you can. But i find it odd that people are so saddened by the fact that the sox may not win 2 in a row. The team is very good, and is set to be good for the future seasons. Enjoy this great team, and all its ups and downs.