PDA

View Full Version : Small Market Myth

Notsososox
02-28-2002, 05:50 AM
Sox Management is a Mixed Bag
Player Development is among the best in the industry.
Their facilities including Comisky Park, Tuscon Electric, and even
the innovative West Suburban Training Center are outstanding even if you don't like the ball mall feel of Comisky.
HOWEVER
Marketing and Fan Development is Terrible
Three things might undo the small market myth that ownership has invented to explain why it is 26th in attendance:

1. Location of farm teams
They are all located in warm weather locations near to each other which is smart from a player development perspective but dumb from a fan development standpoint. The Iowa Cubs (AAA) have much to do with fan base development in Iowa as the Peoria Cardinals (A) do with Redbird loyalty in Central Illinois. Why the Illinois General Assembly didnt require Illinois minor league investment in exchange for taxpayer support for new Comisky is beyond me.

While the Sox tried several local A versions South Bend, IN and Burlington IA they didn't stay either place long enough to grow roots.

Why not the Kane County Sox(A) and the Indianapolis Sox (AAA)
to build regional fan base?

2. Ethnic Marketing
The ball mall feel is all suburban and white. Black, hispanic, and asian markets seem like they are ignored. With Chinatown nearby why not more Asian player development/scouting to help tap that market. Position the Sox differently than Wrigley Yuppiedom. Serious fans of all colors only.

3. Urban location
The neighborhood around the park is quickly improving. The City housing boom continues as Chinatown explodes while Robert Taylor Homes implodes. The vast surface parking lots need to give way to mixed use housing, food and beverage, and vertical parking. If Pittsburg can do Jerry and old real estate sydicators should be able to convert this land to higher and better use.

In ten years Comisky should be smack dab in the Middle of a Great Neighborhood just like United Center.

I think its more about long term fan development. The marketing and short term advertising campaigns are so painfully bad its hard to imagine a team that pays and keeps such a talented player development staff tolerates such incompetence in its marketing staff.

dougs78
02-28-2002, 07:25 AM
Great points. I'm not really intrigued by marketing for the most part, but these are good points that I really see as feasible options. How though do you market more to the audiences of all ethnicities? I would assume using some of our international players in ads and such.

By the way, I would love to see the Sox minor league teams back near chicago. AAA in indy would be absolutely great, but I think we'd have to switch leagues if I'm not mistaken.

chisoxt
02-28-2002, 08:19 AM
3. Urban location
The neighborhood around the park is quickly improving. The City housing boom continues as Chinatown explodes while Robert Taylor Homes implodes. The vast surface parking lots need to give way to mixed use housing, food and beverage, and vertical parking. If Pittsburg can do Jerry and old real estate sydicators should be able to convert this land to higher and better use.

Terrific point. It wont' be tomorrow, but as Bridgeport becomes more gentirifed, attendance will increase at Comiskey.

Pete Ward
02-28-2002, 09:08 AM
Great points... Sox rarely seemed to take advantage of Marketing positives.

I would love to see them have a Minor League team in Kane County.

pearso66
02-28-2002, 09:10 AM
i agree with the farm teams being closer to chicago.

the cubs have an (A) team here in Lansing, MI, and i see tons of cubs fans here, not nearly as many sox fans.

RichH55
02-28-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Pete Ward

To have a farm team in Kane County would be great....I think you could see some real nice long term gains from that

Iwritecode
02-28-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Pete Ward

Rockford is getting a minor league baseball team either this year or next year, I'm not sure which. The only problem is that it won't be affiliated with any major league team. Our basketball and hockey teams aren't affiliated with any pro teams either... I'm not really sure why. Originally our baseball team was the Rockford Expos. Then the Royals, then the Cubbies, then the Reds. We haven't had one for a few years now. I think it's because of the same excuse that people give for the Sox. Lack of attendance because of the neighborhood the stadium is in. If I remember right, they want to build a new stadium in a better part of town (right off of I-90 as a matter of fact). IMO, Rockford would be a perfect place for a Sox minor league team. I know I would go to quite a few games.

duke of dorwood
02-28-2002, 12:04 PM
WE had a minor league team in South Bend for a couple years. But the affiliation didnt last long. I believe Scott Radinsky came from there. We should have continued that, and also the Appleton team from the North. We are concentrated in the South and East for some reason

THE_HOOTER
02-28-2002, 12:58 PM
We have gotten into this before, but I never get tired of talking about the lack of fan support.

The park is a detriment. It wasn't before, but it is now. That damn park has gotten soo much negative pub, there is no way to correct except continue with the renovations.

In the old days, Bridgeport was a thriving Blue Collar area with several meat distributors, and I believe a huge Steel/ Metal distributor. PHG probably knows.

Anyway, a lot of the boys would venture to Comiskey after work. That is gone.

Families on the South Side rarely ever go down to games- trust me - all of my friends live in the Beverly area and Nobody goes to games anymore. They are the ones who jump on the bandwagon when the team is doing well. However, they do not support their team.

The area around Comiskey will never become an attraction for games. It's too established, blue collar, and not always easily accessable.

I really like Bridgeport, but putting a park there was stupid- bad place with little upside.

Why not put it down by the lake, or even near the United Center?

longshot7
02-28-2002, 01:30 PM
you're right on about the ethnic marketing as well. They do a good job of that here in LA, what with how diverse the team is - heck, two of our starters are Japanese. Multi-lingual billboards are everywhere.
And I believe it works - the attendance at the park is extremely diverse.

Dadawg_77
02-28-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
you're right on about the ethnic marketing as well. They do a good job of that here in LA, what with how diverse the team is - heck, two of our starters are Japanese. Multi-lingual billboards are everywhere.
And I believe it works - the attendance at the park is extremely diverse.

We see this theory in work when Mariners come to town.

Another is to cater to certain demographics. Put games back on On TV (Channel 44)*, billboards, ads radio and tv in different langues. Mags is great in Pepsi ads, but how much more of a effective result would he have if he did the ads in Spanish. (Maybe the Sox already do this, since I don't know Spanish, I haven't watched or listen to Spanish stations.) Give great group discounts to local groups, local temples, mosques, schools and so forth to bring in fans. The upper deck could use the company. Oh, and above all else, winning over the years takes care of a lot of problems.

*For out of towners and those who don't remeber, the Sox moved games to the first pay for tv serice back in the 80's, I think the name was On TV. That station drop pay service due to FCC concerns and lossing marketshare to other players. They went back to regualar broadcast tv in spanish and is now call Telemode(SP?).