PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Top 3 prospects

adamf
09-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Hey White Sox fans,

I'm working on ranking the top three prospects in the White Sox organization for my website (http://www.projectprospect.com (http://www.projectprospect.com/)), and I was wondering if you could help me make sure that I'm on the right track.

Right now, I have Ryan Sweeney at No. 1, Josh Fields at No. 2, and Charlie Haeger at No. 3.

Do you agree with this list? Are those three guys at least players who you'd consider in your top 10?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'll be posting my staff and my AL Central Top 3s early next week.

California Sox
09-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Well, obviously Sweeney and Fields are 1 and 2 in some order, but I imagine that Broadway is probably ahead of Haeger in the Sox's thinking. I actually don't see a lot of competition as the organization is very thin right now. I'd guess Cunningham is probably a top ten prospect and Carter has some upside, but mostly the Sox have a collection of six-year FAs and low-ceiling organizational players.

adamf
09-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Is having Haeger at No. 3 something that you feel like I could at least reason with a good arguement?

maurice
09-19-2006, 08:09 PM
I have: (1) Fields, (2) Sweeney, (3) Broadway.

Haeger is in the Top 10.

Britt Burns
09-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Fields/Sweeney, Sweeney/Fields, Broadway. The drop off in talent is considerable after that. I imagine Haeger, McCullough, Cunningham, Carter, and possibly Phillips will all be in the top 10.

Daver
09-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Is having Haeger at No. 3 something that you feel like I could at least reason with a good arguement?

Not really, a knuckleball pitcher still trying to grasp throwing the pitch over a starter with a track record at three levels is a tough argument to make.

adamf
09-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Not really, a knuckleball pitcher still trying to grasp throwing the pitch over a starter with a track record at three levels is a tough argument to make.

I better do more homework on Lance Broadway before I publish anything. Thanks for the help guys!

ChiSoxRowand
09-19-2006, 10:12 PM
No way I put Haeger in the top 3, he probably wouldn't be in my top ten. Here is where I would go-

1. Fields
2. Sweeney
3. Broadway

adamf
09-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Do you want me to let you know when I post my article (it will be sometime next week)?

I'm here to discuss and learn, not spam.

BigPapaPump
09-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Fields/Sweeney, Sweeney/Fields, Broadway. The drop off in talent is considerable after that. I imagine Haeger, McCullough, Cunningham, Carter, and possibly Phillips will all be in the top 10.

How about Owens and Rogo? Would Rogo be major league ready if he weren't blocked by Konerko and Gload?

caulfield12
09-20-2006, 08:31 AM
Sometimes #1 draft picks are inflated over where they really SHOULD be based on their draft position and bonuses (see Borchard), but I would have to assume that Broadway should be 3 and 4-6 would be McCullough, our college pitcher from this past draft.

I can't imagine Haeger has any credibility at #3. It would be almost like putting Heath Phillips at #3, or keeping Ray Liotta high in the top ten simply because he's a well-recognized prospect and because of the coincidence of his name and the actor.

Owens is probably going to be 6-8 now I would guess...with the lack of depth, I don't see him falling completely out of the Top 10.

A. Cavatica
09-20-2006, 06:27 PM
How about Owens and Rogo? Would Rogo be major league ready if he weren't blocked by Konerko and Gload?

Rogo's probably major league ready, but his upside isn't that high. He doesn't have the power expected of a first baseman. Gload might be what Rogo can aspire to.

Britt Burns
09-23-2006, 01:05 PM

As much as I like him, rogo looks like a AAAA type of player, maybe a Gload with a little more power if everything breaks right for him.

Owens is more intriguing. He is fast, has shown good plate discipline, and is a lfety handed bat who can play center. He also has limited experience as he was a football player primarily up until a few years ago. While he is not going to be ML ready at the beginning of '07, a strong first half next year would go a long way in erasing the mediocre season he had this season.

caulfield12
09-23-2006, 01:40 PM
As much as I like him, rogo looks like a AAAA type of player, maybe a Gload with a little more power if everything breaks right for him.

Owens is more intriguing. He is fast, has shown good plate discipline, and is a lfety handed bat who can play center. He also has limited experience as he was a football player primarily up until a few years ago. While he is not going to be ML ready at the beginning of '07, a strong first half next year would go a long way in erasing the mediocre season he had this season.

But he's never going to be an MLB CFer. Sweeney and especially Anderson (today's brain cramp notwithstanding) are superior defenders. And Owens doesn't have much of an arm at all, a lot like Pods in that respect. Definitely not enough arm strength for center.

whitesoxwilkes
09-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Do you want me to let you know when I post my article (it will be sometime next week)?

I'm here to discuss and learn, not spam.

Yeah...please do.

Bucky F. Dent
09-24-2006, 09:00 AM

Haeger is a knuckleballer!?!

God Lord, we haven't had a knuckler in the lineup since Wilbur Wood.

Daver
09-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Haeger is a knuckleballer!?!

God Lord, we haven't had a knuckler in the lineup since Wilbur Wood.

You seem to have forgotten Charlie Hough.

adamf
09-25-2006, 06:01 AM
Our Top 3s are up: http://projectprospect.com/2006/09/25/top-3-prospects-al-central.aspx

maurice
09-25-2006, 01:48 PM
But like Anderson and Reed, [Sweeney] may take a little bit longer than most prospects to adjust to the major leagues.

What does this sentence mean? Sweeney is very young for a AAA player who already has made his MLB debut. Even assuming that he takes another 9 months to develop, he'd be an extremely young big leaguer. Anderson's developmental time was about average for a college player in his draft position, and Reed may be a total bust, so I don't see the comparison.

[Fields will] likely spend at least the first half of 2007 adjusting to the outfield, and then be ready to join the major league ranks.

I don't think the Sox have made a decision on Fields yet. He'll play a lot of OF this winter. Depending on offseason moves, there is a pretty good chance that he'll start 2007 in some MLB team's lineup, though maybe not the Sox.

adamf
09-25-2006, 01:57 PM
What does this sentence mean? Sweeney is very young for a AAA player who already has made his MLB debut. Even assuming that he takes another 9 months to develop, he'd be an extremely young big leaguer. Anderson's developmental time was about average for a college player in his draft position, and Reed may be a total bust, so I don't see the comparison.

If Sweeney get called up in 2007, I don't think he'll hit the ground running.

caulfield12
09-25-2006, 02:35 PM

I don't think the Sox have made a decision on Fields yet. He'll play a lot of OF this winter. Depending on offseason moves, there is a pretty good chance that he'll start 2007 in some MLB team's lineup, though maybe not the Sox.

Also, you have to consider the fact that he grew up in Iowa (where they don't play year-round) and that was playing AA ball at age 19 or 20, there's no comparison.

Reed was a very polished college player who peaked when he was in the minors, hence, the inclusion in the Garcia trade...he had a limited ceiling and would never be worth more than he was as a Minor League POY.

Anderson played at Arizona, but he was more of a "project" in the sense that he had all the physical tools but was certainly far from polished as a hitter...especially making contact (yet Anderson was drafted in the first round, Reed in the second despite First Team All-American status). From the beginning, Reed had a very impressive K/BB ratio that Anderson still has yet to come close to emulating.

Reed was never going to be anything more than a great fourth outfielder (not unlike my original opinion on Rowand, although Aaron surprised me a LITTLE)...Anderson still has a large opportunity to be a bust, whereas Sweeney seems like he has the mechanics to be a very solid major leaguer but might not be a star unless he can hit at least 18-24 homers and average .290-.310 consistently.

maurice
09-25-2006, 02:55 PM
If Sweeney get called up in 2007, I don't think he'll hit the ground running.

You may be right. OTOH, Sweeney will be 22 during the 2007 season. I just wanted to point out that most 22-year-old prospects do not even get the chance to start in MLB, much less hit the ground running. It would be remarkable if he were able to produce right off the bat at that age.

maurice
09-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Anderson played at Arizona, but he was more of a "project" in the sense that he had all the physical tools but was certainly far from polished as a hitter...especially making contact

He also had a pretty serious wrist injury that limited his pro ABs until this year.

adamf
09-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Good info guys. Thanks!

Daver
09-25-2006, 04:42 PM
Anderson was a bit delayed in developing at the plate because he spent some time as a relief pitcher early on in college.

Luke
09-27-2006, 10:35 AM
Anderson was a bit delayed in developing at the plate because he spent some time as a relief pitcher early on in college.

Could've used his help in the pen this last month.

jabrch
09-30-2006, 12:06 PM

If he were, someone would have been pursuing him at the trade deadline. I'm thinking he tops out as a bench player. For that role, he might be ready, but rookie bench players are a dime a dozen.

jabrch
09-30-2006, 12:08 PM
Reed was a very polished college player who peaked when he was in the minors, hence, the inclusion in the Garcia trade...he had a limited ceiling and would never be worth more than he was as a Minor League POY.

Just for the record, this was NOT the opinion of your ilk when the deal was made. Search for the littany of threads on the Reed/Garcia trade. There was a decent size population (mostly those with a strong statistical slant) who were projecting Reed for Garcia as the biggest disaster since Brock for Broglio.

caulfield12
09-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Just for the record, this was NOT the opinion of your ilk when the deal was made. Search for the littany of threads on the Reed/Garcia trade. There was a decent size population (mostly those with a strong statistical slant) who were projecting Reed for Garcia as the biggest disaster since Brock for Broglio.

What the h--- are you talking about?

My ilk?

Interesting, if you want to go back to the chisox.com message boards, you will see that I said that Reed had limited defensive abilities, was never going to hit well enough or run well enough to be a starter...that he was an overachiever's version of Aaron Rowand.

Yes, Reed had a high OPB...because he was a very patient hitter and also made great contact.

But I've always preferred the upside of Anderson and Young...just like I liked Mike Cameron.

I was more concerned about giving up Olivo and that Morse could become a talented 3B (just didn't know if he would hit for enough power or field well enough to stay in one position). But Reed never worried me.