Gabe Kapler
Matt Lawton
John Mabry
Trot Nixon
Matt Stairs
Michael Tucker
Bernie Williams

(T)= Team Option

Much better names in this group than the SS group. Obviously the big prize is Alfonso Soriano. Personally, I feel White Sox targets ought to be Juan Pierre, Dave Roberts, Soriano, and maybe even Gary Matthews Jr.. Minnesota has a $12 million team option on Torii Hunter. As much as I hate the guy, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want him on my team, either in left or in center.

Flight #24
09-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Here's the list:

LF
Frank Cattalanotto
David Delucci
Jay Payton
Dave Roberts
Shannon Stewart

CF
Mike Cameron (T)
Jim Edmonds (T)
Gary Matthews Jr.
Juan Pierre

RF
Jose Guillen

Some interesting names on that list. most likely/feasible would be Cat or Delucci. Guillen's kind of a wildcard since he's repotedly an *******, but when healthy, he can rake. If Ozzie can keep him in line (a big question), he could be an impact guy to plug into LF, and he'll come at a decent price coming off of injury and with attitude questions driving down his price.

Or go get Cameron as a 4th OF / insurance and plug Fields/Sweeney into LF.

whitesoxfan
09-19-2006, 05:58 PM
I heard that Edmonds doesn't believe he'll be back with the Cards next season. I'd like to at least take a look at him; then we could move BA to left. That would be a pretty damn good defensive OF.

Matthews would be an interesting option as well. A very good defensive outfielder; maybe this was his breakout season?

Worst-case scenario, I'd go with Pierre in LF. After a slow start, he seems to have come around. He actually can steal a base successfully, unlike Podsednik. His arm is just as bad as Pods, but I believe Pierre is a much better overall fielder.

SABRSox
09-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Worst-case scenario, I'd go with Pierre in LF. After a slow start, he seems to have come around. He actually can steal a base successfully, unlike Podsednik. His arm is just as bad as Pods, but I believe Pierre is a much better overall fielder.

He can't be much worse.

mjmcend
09-19-2006, 06:34 PM

Depends entirely on how much you have to pay for him. I, for one, think that he will get a huge chunk of change this offseason that will make him one of the most overpaid players in baseball. I sincerely hope the White Sox will not be the team making that mistake.

NardiWasHere
09-19-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm not saying that this is the solution, but I'm curious on people's thoughts on Shannon Stewart....

Palehose13
09-19-2006, 08:33 PM
I'm not saying that this is the solution, but I'm curious on people's thoughts on Shannon Stewart....
:puking:

we be jake
09-19-2006, 08:39 PM
I loved Cam when he was here. I hated seeing him leave.Had he been here all along it would have solved several problems and certain contrversies could have been avoided.

:cool: we be jake

Palehose13
09-19-2006, 08:51 PM
I loved Cam when he was here. I hated seeing him leave.Had he been here all along it would have solved several problems and certain contrversies could have been avoided.

Ehhhhh...do you remember who we got for him in that trade?

Britt Burns
09-19-2006, 09:24 PM
I hope KW is over his Erstad fetish. The guy just isn't that good.

batmanZoSo
09-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Would Pierre want to come here and play left?

Now, I'm in no way debating whether he should supplant BA, but is Pierre a team guy that would go where he's told and shut up and do his job? I pay so little attention to the cubs that I don't know what he's done or how he's affected that clubhouse if at all. However, I always liked him on Colorado and Florida and he was a major catalyst in that World Series title.

I'd like to retain the speed element if possible in replacing Pods, so I would definitely give Pierre consideration. For non-speed guys, I really like Catalanotto because he's a grinder and he's got a good stick.

Dave Roberts is an option, but at his age and considering he hit .310(?) this year--obviously a career year--he's at high risk for a big dropoff. Not only that, he's historically injury-prone if I'm not mistaken.

QCIASOXFAN
09-19-2006, 10:40 PM
I heard Sosa is coming out of retirement.

caulfield12
09-19-2006, 11:51 PM
I heard that Edmonds doesn't believe he'll be back with the Cards next season. I'd like to at least take a look at him; then we could move BA to left. That would be a pretty damn good defensive OF.

Matthews would be an interesting option as well. A very good defensive outfielder; maybe this was his breakout season?

No way Edmonds can still play CF over Anderson.

I like the Guillen idea someone pointed out, to a Frank Thomas-esque incentive laden contract. I was around him for a full season when we won the SAL Championship with the Augusta GreenJackets in 1995.

He doesn't have the same arm as he did them, but he's a very dangerous, albeit streaky hitter and he's never been a deer in the OF, but he would be a very good LF and save a lot of runs with his arm not being continually challenged.

Sign Guillen and Mulder and if neither work out, not a whole lot is lost and we have the depth to cover...but if either or both played to their potential, WATCH out AL Central. I think Jose would excel in Ozzie's clubhouse, although he's also been okay around more structured, my way or the highway clubhouses. The run-ins with Angel management and his last two seasons in Washington have made him a cheap fit with huge upside. If it doesn't work out, he's just another version of Julio Ramirez and we put Sweeney and Fields out there.

GoSox2K3
09-19-2006, 11:53 PM
I wonder what sort of price these guys will command? That'll be vital in determining the Sox chances of landing one of these FAs. Looks like a long list - maybe a glut of FA outfielders will keep their price down? :dunno:

cburns
09-20-2006, 12:09 AM
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Pierre roam LF for the Sox next year. At the very worst he provides the same defense as Pods, except he has the career numbers to back him up.

MrX
09-20-2006, 02:12 AM

:cool: we be jake
What problems and controversies?

You're not saying something insanely stupid like not getting Konerko would have left Frank to play first fulltime are you?

Brian26
09-20-2006, 08:12 AM
Catalanotto will be in a Sox uniform next year.

BigPapaPump
09-20-2006, 08:28 AM
I would like to see Catalanotto in LF next year, he's a grinder and it would be nice to have one of those Piranya type players on our team.

jenn2080
09-20-2006, 08:30 AM
Will Rowand be a free agent?

caulfield12
09-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Pierre roam LF for the Sox next year. At the very worst he provides the same defense as Pods, except he has the career numbers to back him up.

Pierre's not a bad choice, but we can't give him more than a 1 year contract. That could work against us if other teams offer 2-3 year deals.

We have to secure the flexibility to go to a "youth movement" for the 2008 season instead of being locked into veteran contracts.

We can't keep Sweeney and Fields in AAA for more than another year, or even a half-year. Maybe they end up with Anderson and Pierre starting, one falters and then Ryan and Josh would have their opportunity to play...

batmanZoSo
09-20-2006, 10:42 AM

Based on what?

INSox56
09-20-2006, 11:38 AM
I'd like to see Catalanotto, honestly. Then trade for a SS. Either that, or sign a SS and trade for Freel in left...

Jjav829
09-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Based on what?

Otis said so. He was just a few years early with his prediction. :yup:

veeter
09-20-2006, 12:26 PM
So that's it? Anderson gets one year of getting jacked around by Ozzie and he's done? Getting rid of, or replacing BA would be a regrettable move.

kraut83
09-20-2006, 12:40 PM
What would it take to get Vernon Wells from the Jays? I know he's pretty much said he's not resigning there, and if KW can solve the leadoff issue elsewhere (SS), I would love to see this guy in our outfield.

batmanZoSo
09-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Otis said so. He was just a few years early with his prediction. :yup:

I don't get it.

Jjav829
09-20-2006, 02:33 PM
I don't get it.

You don't remember otis (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=1559)?

Update that I have just heard from my guy are two names the Sox are seriously looking into: Frank Catalanotto and Jerry Hairston Jr.. Don't know if this excites you or not but it is information none the less.

CHISOXFAN13
09-20-2006, 03:58 PM

:gulp: I'd drink to that. I love the way he plays the game.

Foulke You
09-20-2006, 06:05 PM
Jim Edmunds is intriguing but I question whether he can play a full season healthy at this stage in his career. He has always been kind've an injury prone player too. I'd prefer someone with a little more durability but there is no questioning the guy's superior defense and solid hitting. If Edmunds was brought on board, he certainly wouldn't bat leadoff.

Catalanotto would definitely fit the grinder mentality and is proven in the AL. Plus, he is not likely to command huge money. I like this idea, it would definitely give us a quality contact hitter who can put pressure on the defense. There has been rumblings that Ozzie wants more speed. How is Catalanotto on the basepaths? Is he a stealing threat?

Pierre is another possibility considering the Sox courted him as recently as last offseason. Plus, Ozzie is a fan of his from his days as Marlins 3B coach. There are three things that worry me about signing Pierre. He has a very poor throwing arm, he is a perennial slow starter (Juan just doesn't seem to get going offensively until mid May/early June), and he isn't proven in the American League where the pitching is considerably tougher, especially in the AL Central. If he signed with us, he'd be going from baseball's worst division to baseball's best division. It's not unreasonable to think his numbers would take a small nose dive from where he is now.

TaylorStSox
09-20-2006, 07:51 PM
I really wouldn't mind Pierre in left either. He doesn't walk enough, but he's still among the league leaders in hits. He has a horrible arm, but good range. In fact, I think his patience would really be aided by being in a good line up. He won't have to feel like he has to steal every base to score.

Anyway, I really want somebody who can swipe a bag, get a bunt down, and make some things happen in unconventional ways.

BiggestFan14
09-20-2006, 09:13 PM
I like Jim Edmunds, but he is getting older plus his durability could be questionable. The only one that really interests me is Catalanotto, I have wanted him in a Sox uniform for a while now.

whitesoxfan
09-20-2006, 11:40 PM
I really wouldn't mind Pierre in left either. He doesn't walk enough, but he's still among the league leaders in hits. He has a horrible arm, but good range. In fact, I think his patience would really be aided by being in a good line up. He won't have to feel like he has to steal every base to score.

Anyway, I really want somebody who can swipe a bag, get a bunt down, and make some things happen in unconventional ways.

Like you said, Pierre doesn't walk much. But besides that, he does everything else a leadoff man does right: gets hits, steals bases, can bunt for a hit, and can move a guy over as well.

Norberto7
09-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Catalanotto would definitely fit the grinder mentality and is proven in the AL. Plus, he is not likely to command huge money. I like this idea, it would definitely give us a quality contact hitter who can put pressure on the defense. There has been rumblings that Ozzie wants more speed. How is Catalanotto on the basepaths? Is he a stealing threat?

He has two steals in his last 3 years, or the same amount as Paul Konerko. I don't know how his overall speed is, but that doesn't really translate to a stealing "threat".

Catalanotto is 32, and this year's numbers have been pretty close to his career averages. The only reason I could think the Sox wouldn't want him is, as mentioned, he does little to nothing to increase team speed, one of the offense's biggest worries.

Hitmen77
09-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Like you said, Pierre doesn't walk much. But besides that, he does everything else a leadoff man does right: gets hits, steals bases, can bunt for a hit, and can move a guy over as well.

Yeah, but isn't he tainted by being on the Cubs?

I know he's a FA, but is there any indication that the Cubs will let him walk? They may suck, but they still have pretty deep pockets.

The Immigrant
09-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Yeah, but isn't he tainted by being on the Cubs?

I know he's a FA, but is there any indication that the Cubs will let him walk? They may suck, but they still have pretty deep pockets.

They also have Felix "the Savior" Pieh, who they need to promote so they can ruin him like they did Corey Patterson.

esbrechtel
09-21-2006, 06:02 PM

I would like to see Catalanotto in LF next year, he's a grinder and it would be nice to have one of those Piranya type players on our team.

I'd like to see Catalanotto, honestly. Then trade for a SS. Either that, or sign a SS and trade for Freel in left...

i would love to see frank in LF for the sox...however then wed need to find some speed at SS or BA better learn to bunt and steal quickly...

GoSox2K3
09-22-2006, 12:22 AM

Can Catalanotto leadoff? I'm not that familiar with him. If not, at least if we can get Pierre, then at least our SS options aren't limited only to guys who can lead off.

GoSox2K3
09-22-2006, 12:25 AM
Pierre's not a bad choice, but we can't give him more than a 1 year contract. That could work against us if other teams offer 2-3 year deals.

We have to secure the flexibility to go to a "youth movement" for the 2008 season instead of being locked into veteran contracts.

We can't keep Sweeney and Fields in AAA for more than another year, or even a half-year. Maybe they end up with Anderson and Pierre starting, one falters and then Ryan and Josh would have their opportunity to play...

Why can't we give him more than a 1 yr contract? We can always trade him later for more talent if Fields/Sweeney really are ready for '08.