Ramon E. Martinez
Alex Gonzalez
Jose Hernandez
Julio Lugo
Tomas Perez
Desi Relaford
Jose Vizcaino

(T)=Team Option

Not exactly an illustrious list. Lugo is the only real name there, but he's not what I'd call a defensive gem.

I'd have to wager that any upgrade there would have to come in the form of a trade.

kittle42
09-19-2006, 06:42 PM
Wow that list sucks.

Lip Man 1
09-19-2006, 06:47 PM
In the 'Ask Mark Gonzales' column at the Tribune today he is asked twice about Michael Young and thinks it would be a terriffic pick up for the Sox, but it's going to be costly. He also thinks Jimmy Rollins may be available.

Lip

DaBears
09-19-2006, 06:48 PM
KW can always make a trade for a player in the last year of their contract...

samram
09-19-2006, 07:04 PM
In the 'Ask Mark Gonzales' column at the Tribune today he is asked twice about Michael Young and thinks it would be a terriffic pick up for the Sox, but it's going to be costly. He also thinks Jimmy Rollins may be available.

Lip

Rollins will be available, but he's not the answer in the leadoff spot because he's not on base very much. He does have a good deal of power and would be better at SS than Uribe, but if the goal would be to fill both the SS and leadoff spots with the same guy, he's not a fit.

The Immigrant
09-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Jimmy Rollins has 40 doubles, 21 HR, 35 stolen bases, 72 RBI and 114 runs scored this year. In my view, that kind of offensive production more than offsets his less-than-stellar OBP (.333).

Vizquel and Lugo have a slightly better OBP, but they are nowhere near him in the other categories. Plus, Vizquel is 41 and Lugo is a wife-beater.

Pierre has decent numbers, especially SB (52), but his OBP is even lower (.330).

samram
09-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Jimmy Rollins has 40 doubles, 21 HR, 35 stolen bases, 72 RBI and 114 runs scored this year. In my view, that kind of offensive production more than offsets his less-than-stellar OBP (.333).

Vizquel and Lugo have a slightly better OBP, but they are nowhere near him in the other categories. Plus, Vizquel is 41 and Lugo is a wife-beater.

Pierre has decent numbers, especially SB (52), but his OBP is even lower (.330).

Yeah, I like Rollins a lot, just not in the leadoff spot. He would be a teriffic 6th or 7th hitter as he would give you run production and some speed toward the bottom of the order.

Palehose13
09-19-2006, 08:31 PM
Yipeee! Royce Clayton is available!
With that list, I'd pass and stick with Uribe or give Cintron a shot at it everyday.

batmanZoSo
09-19-2006, 09:03 PM
Uribe doesn't look too bad after all, eh? He just needs a kick in the ass and he's far from the only one on this team who does.

I'll take Young, but that's probably it. And I doubt he's dealt unless we knock their socks off with pitching.

BNLSox
09-19-2006, 11:27 PM

Lip

I'm suprised Rollins would be made so readily available. I guess Philly is starting to understand their position players don't do much for them without better arms.

beckett21
09-19-2006, 11:35 PM
That list is horrendous.

I agree with PH13 that I'd rather take my chances with Uribe and/or Cintron instead.

Michael Young would be my choice, if he can be had at a reasonable cost. I doubt it.

BigPapaPump
09-20-2006, 08:34 AM
It would be great to get Rollins, and the oppurtunity to fleece the Phillies again.:D:

caulfield12
09-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Rollins won't come cheap.

It would be a stretch to think he going to put up a .350 OBP.

OTOH, with a ton of power surrounding him, he can "change" his game a little, like we were thinking Iguchi and Uribe could do.

Obviously, Howard and Burrell are power hitters, but every position player on the White Sox would be capable of 20+ homers (at least) with Rollins in the line-up and Anderson improving.

Of course, I hope BA evolves into the doubles-hitting, small ball player and not the "swing for the fences" type, because that's the middle of our line-up...we have to differentiate the line-up, like the Twins have done and the White Sox did last year (with at least three players).

soxfan13
09-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Uribe doesn't look too bad after all, eh? He just needs a kick in the ass and he's far from the only one on this team who does.

I'll take Young, but that's probably it. And I doubt he's dealt unless we knock their socks off with pitching.

Didnt Ozzie say yesterday that "his" starters where going to be playing from yesterday til the end of the season? If thats correct I think he gave a little hint of Uribe wont be with the team next year. I say this because Cintron was the starter.

MadetoOrta
09-20-2006, 10:38 AM
What's Orlando Cabrera's status? Why have others bandied his name about? I'm totally not sold on Cintron as our everyday SS.

batmanZoSo
09-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Didnt Ozzie say yesterday that "his" starters where going to be playing from yesterday til the end of the season? If thats correct I think he gave a little hint of Uribe wont be with the team next year. I say this because Cintron was the starter.

Cintron is a lesser hitter and fielder than Uribe over a full season, book it. That would be a definite downgrade.

Jjav829
09-20-2006, 11:47 AM
What's Orlando Cabrera's status? Why have others bandied his name about? I'm totally not sold on Cintron as our everyday SS.

I decided about a month ago that Orlando Cabrera should be our starting shortstop next year. :yup:

Of course, if Michael Young is available, I'd have to change my mind. But if Young isn't available, I think Cabrera should be our target. I would think the Angels would listen to offers for him. Brandon Wood is close to being ready, and they have Erick Aybar and Maicer Izturis, both of whom can play shortstop.

0o0o0
09-20-2006, 11:50 AM
I decided about a month ago that Orlando Cabrera should be our starting shortstop next year. :yup:

Of course, if Michael Young is available, I'd have to change my mind. But if Young isn't available, I think Cabrera should be our target. I would think the Angels would listen to offers for him. Brandon Wood is close to being ready, and they have Erick Aybar and Maicer Izturis, both of whom can play shortstop.

No complaints over here.

BigPapaPump
09-20-2006, 12:03 PM

Only problem is Cabrera is making twice as much as Uribe, to get him there would have to be a salary drop somewheres else.

Jjav829
09-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Only problem is Cabrera is making twice as much as Uribe, to get him there would have to be a salary drop somewheres else.

Well, replacing one of the starters with McCarthy clears a lot of money from the starting rotation. But we don't know how much salary we would take back.

Really...does it matter? I mean this is like 3 or 4 years ago where we had some strict $75 million budget to stick to. It's not like adding money in one area necessarily means we have to drop money in another. JR has shown a willingness to spend to win. And with the way fans have come out to the Cell in near record numbers this year, I don't think we have to fret about where we're going to find an extra couple million to spend.

SABRSox
09-20-2006, 01:00 PM
We don't want any part of Orlando Cabrera. He is absolutely, without a doubt, the most inept bunter in baseball. Hands down. You think Pods is bad, wait until you get a load of Cabrera. He's also not a lead-off hitter. He hacks way too much.

Michael Young is the guy. Kenny is the GM to go get him. Get it done.

Palehose13
09-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Cintron is a lesser hitter and fielder than Uribe over a full season, book it. That would be a definite downgrade.

I agree that Cintron would be a downgrade from Uribe, but I would take him over the rest of the bozos on that list.

I would love to see Young or Rollins here next year, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

batmanZoSo
09-20-2006, 01:18 PM
I agree that Cintron would be a downgrade from Uribe, but I would take him over the rest of the bozos on that list.

I would love to see Young or Rollins here next year, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Ditto. Cabrera's also been mentioned, but his salary is way too high for what you get, which is nothing spectacular. He'll hit .280, 15 homers, 25 steals, good defense. Who wants to pay a ton for that?

The only position I feel needs a change is left. I'd probably just go ahead and get Pierre, who's basically 05 Pods. The rest of the offseason I'd spend fixing this horse **** pitching staff.

BigPapaPump
09-20-2006, 01:34 PM
Well, replacing one of the starters with McCarthy clears a lot of money from the starting rotation. But we don't know how much salary we would take back.

Really...does it matter? I mean this is like 3 or 4 years ago where we had some strict $75 million budget to stick to. It's not like adding money in one area necessarily means we have to drop money in another. JR has shown a willingness to spend to win. And with the way fans have come out to the Cell in near record numbers this year, I don't think we have to fret about where we're going to find an extra couple million to spend.

Good points. I just thought that they would want to stay around the $95 million mark. I hope your right and they do go out and spend the money it takes to compete w/ Boston and NY, just so long as they don't raise the price of beer anymore.:tongue:

Jjav829
09-20-2006, 02:30 PM
We don't want any part of Orlando Cabrera. He is absolutely, without a doubt, the most inept bunter in baseball. Hands down. You think Pods is bad, wait until you get a load of Cabrera. He's also not a lead-off hitter. He hacks way too much.

Michael Young is the guy. Kenny is the GM to go get him. Get it done.

I wasn't suggesting him as a leadoff hitter. He's not a bad #2 hitter and is a "grinder" type player. Cabrera a hacker? He's only K'ed 55 times this year. By comparison, that would be last on our team among everyday players.

Young isn't exactly an ideal leadoff hitter, either.

soxfan13
09-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Good points. I just thought that they would want to stay around the $95 million mark. I hope your right and they do go out and spend the money it takes to compete w/ Boston and NY, just so long as they don't raise the price of beer anymore.:tongue:

I would think that last year would have taught us it doesnt matter the size of the payroll.

2005- 75 million payroll = 1 one World Series
2006- 95 million payroll = playoff hopes on life support

I am a huge fan of having the RIGHT players not the highest paid.

SABRSox
09-20-2006, 04:36 PM
I wasn't suggesting him as a leadoff hitter. He's not a bad #2 hitter and is a "grinder" type player. Cabrera a hacker? He's only K'ed 55 times this year. By comparison, that would be last on our team among everyday players.

His BA w/RISP is .228. By comparison, Juan Uribe's is .276. Now, that doesn't mean that Cabrera wouldn't be an upgrade. The defense is similar, maybe a slight downgrade, but he more than makes up for that with his speed. But the way I see it, it's not the best use of money to go out and get Cabrera. Cabrera made $7.5 million this season.

This Uribe situation is so vexxing. All the guy needs to do is learn plate patience, and he'd be a decent to very good MLB shortstop. He's only drawn 13 walks this year. That's half of what he drew last year, which was also ridiculously low.

Oh, and the #1 reason to get Michael Young: .389 BA w/RISP. Go get him, Kenny.

infohawk
09-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Rollins will be available, but he's not the answer in the leadoff spot because he's not on base very much. He does have a good deal of power and would be better at SS than Uribe, but if the goal would be to fill both the SS and leadoff spots with the same guy, he's not a fit.
Is Rollins kind of in the Ray Durham mold?

infohawk
09-20-2006, 05:08 PM
I would love to have Michael Young, but I wouldn't use our best trading chip (starting pitcher) to land him. I think we are fine with Juan's schizophrenic bat and great defense if we can use a starting pitcher to seriously beef up the bullpen. I believe that any position player picked up or acquired via trade should be a leadoff hitter, preferably an outfielder but the best leadoff hitter we could aquire may not be.