PDA

View Full Version : One and done club

Fenway
09-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Of the last five one-and-done champs we've enjoyed in baseball, exactly zero will be headed to this year's postseason.

Last night, in a city all but fully focused now on its suddenly explosive football team, the Chicago White Sox virtually guaranteed (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060919/SPORTS0104/609190367/1129) that we'll have a new World Series champion to crown come the end of October
The Red Sox (2004)? Nope.
The Marlins (2003)? Good story, but not likely.
The Angels (2002)? Not without a miracle.
The Diamondbacks (2001)? Forget it.
In fact, the last World Series champ that will still be playing next month is the same one that has last enjoyed titles in consecutive seasons. And once everything is all sorted out in about a fortnight, it will be the overwhelming favorite to win it again in 2006.
Sorry.

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2006/09/19/playing_favorites/index.html

Oblong
09-19-2006, 01:18 PM
We've only had 2 repeats in 30 years. It's a hard thing to do in baseball and that's why it's my favorite sport.

Fenway
09-19-2006, 01:19 PM
We've only had 2 repeats in 30 years. It's a hard thing to do in baseball and that's why it's my favorite sport.

please do not let it be Mets/Yankees

Johnny Mostil
09-19-2006, 01:29 PM

Of the last 11 World Series champs, counting the Sox, only three improved their record the following season (and none of those three--the '97 Yanks, '01 Yanks, and '02 D-backs--were among the repeats).

Last World Series champ to repeat and improve its record? '53 Yanks.

oeo
09-19-2006, 01:35 PM

I don't think the Mets will make it. That's a team that is built well for the regular season, but not the playoffs. The Dodgers will be in the World Series.

Paulwny
09-19-2006, 02:17 PM

C'mon Fenway, once again it'll be the series that the entire world eagerly awaits. :angry:

Fenway
09-19-2006, 02:36 PM
C'mon Fenway, once again it'll be the series that the entire world eagerly awaits. :angry:

I wouldn't mind the Dodgers as they really have become Red Sox West.....

Grady Little done a good job there ( did I type that? )

Oblong
09-19-2006, 02:41 PM
When's the last time a Red Sox fan has typed or uttered those words.

Paulwny
09-19-2006, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't mind the Dodgers as they really have become Red Sox West.....

Grady Little done a good job there ( did I type that? )

Since 59', I've only rooted for the Dodgers when they played the yanks.

champagne030
09-19-2006, 03:30 PM

I'll pull for the Tigers to win it all, but I'd cheer for the Mets or Yankees against the Twinks.

Fenway
09-19-2006, 03:45 PM
When's the last time a Red Sox fan has typed or uttered those words.

before Game 7 of the 03 ALCS LOL

ode to veeck
09-19-2006, 03:48 PM
Sorry Fenway, but it ain't over til it's over, and I just got back from three really long ugly games in Oakland.

PaulDrake
09-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Since it looks like we're out of it, it wouldn't bother me to see the Mets go to the WS, or even win it. The Yanks, now that's another story.

TDog
09-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Since it looks like we're out of it, it wouldn't bother me to see the Mets go to the WS, or even win it. The Yanks, now that's another story.

The Yankees are the team among the apparent AL postseason bunch I hate the least. I won't watch any postseason baseball, though. I never do when the Sox aren't in it.

jortafan
09-19-2006, 05:29 PM
This might upset some people in light of the weekend carnage in Oakland still being so fresh. But I think I'm going to wind up pulling for the Athletics to make it through the playoffs, win the American League pennant, then knock the dog poop out of the Mets, Dodgers or whichever National League batch of meatheads manages to make it to the World Series.

I'd like to see Frank Thomas actually get to play in a World Series. It would be great if he could even be an influential part of an Athletics World Series victory ('06 World Series MVP anyone?) The Thomas connection is about the only reason I'd like to see an Athletics victory. I could care less about Oakland otherwise.

Having said that, let me add that I honestly believe this is the year of the Yankees. I can see them winning their first AL pennant in three years, and their first World Series in six years -- all the while having to put up with their fan base acting as though a pennant drought of historic proportions has FINALLY come to an end.

I believed this to be true months ago, even when it still appeared as though the White Sox had an excellent chance to be a part of the playoff picture.

Rooney4Prez56
09-20-2006, 12:11 PM
I believe the Tigers are this year's White Sox. They will probably win it all if the Sox aren't there to stop them.

WizardsofOzzie
09-20-2006, 12:23 PM
I believe the Tigers are this year's White Sox. They will probably win it all if the Sox aren't there to stop them.
Im saying this now....quote me if you like later on. There is no way in hell that the Tigers will win the world series this year. You hear me? No way in hell!!!

hawkjt
09-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Clear cut fav to win it all- yanks
I will root for Frank if the sox are out of it.

I will root against- twins first, tigers second, yanks third ,A's fourth.

If the twins or tigers get to the series- I go with the NL.

Unregistered
09-20-2006, 03:41 PM
I believe the Tigers are this year's White Sox. They will probably win it all if the Sox aren't there to stop them.Not with the way they're playing. I call a three and out.