PDA

View Full Version : Josh Fields Legend has begun!!

kidmccarthy
09-19-2006, 12:06 AM
First AB...Homerun. I think his future is so bright, he's gonna need shades.

Myrtle72
09-19-2006, 12:07 AM
I hope he's out in LF next year.

BA: The Hitman
09-19-2006, 12:12 AM

Yeah, it would be nice to have someone out there who looks like they give a ****

Sargeant79
09-19-2006, 12:17 AM

I hope he's out in LF tomorrow.

buehrle4cy05
09-19-2006, 12:17 AM
I for one am glad he didn't get traded. If he works on his skills in LF in the AFL and in Spring Training, then it will be another quality bat to add to the lineup. He's going to be a great hitter for years to come.

Foulke You
09-19-2006, 12:21 AM
No, no, no, Carl Crawford will be in LF :tongue:

DumpJerry
09-19-2006, 12:21 AM
He's just wanting to be like Dye.

I'm hip with that!

JUribe1989
09-19-2006, 12:22 AM
Josh Fields is the man. I can't wait to see him knock homers off Bonderman, Santana, Redman, and Sabathia for years to come. This was a huge bright spot of tonight's game.

ajismyhero
09-19-2006, 12:26 AM
Josh Fields is the man. I can't wait to see him knock homers off Bonderman, Santana, Redman, and Sabathia for years to come. This was a huge bright spot of tonight's game.

After being one of the 25% of the Sox fans who stayed until the end, i'm glad that Josh Fields gave me a reason to - that was a very exciting moment for him and the ballclub. I say give him and the other recent callups some more playing time - at least they might play with a little more heart.

LemmeHearYa
09-19-2006, 12:44 AM
HE's a good kid and should do well. NIce swing!

lumpyspun
09-19-2006, 01:11 AM
After being one of the 25% of the Sox fans who stayed until the end, i'm glad that Josh Fields gave me a reason to - that was a very exciting moment for him and the ballclub. I say give him and the other recent callups some more playing time - at least they might play with a little more heart.

I predict we will start playing that "hangover" lineup from last year right after we clinched in Detroit. Remember Boston fans were so pissed b/c they thought we were giving up in those games resting our starters? Those subs played their ass off and won....I hope we see Gload, pablo, Fields, and the whole crew go out there and play great.

DeadMoney
09-19-2006, 01:32 AM

I hope he's our LF the rest of the year.

JB98
09-19-2006, 02:53 AM
First AB...Homerun. I think his future is so bright, he's gonna need shades.

As long as he stops swinging for the fences all the time. :D:

MrX
09-19-2006, 02:58 AM
:ozzie
"**** that! I think I just found my new centerfielder"

IJay22
09-19-2006, 03:10 AM
:ozzie
"**** that! I think I just found my new centerfielder"

LMAO :gulp:

Infallible
09-19-2006, 03:22 AM
Josh looks good, he looks just like Joe Borchard on that pitch.

DeadMoney
09-19-2006, 03:32 AM
Josh looks good, he looks just like Joe Borchard on that pitch.

Burn.

Josh has high expectations and a similar background to Borchard, let's just hope he turns out more like that one football player we drafted out of Auburn in 1989.

Grzegorz
09-19-2006, 05:32 AM

Nope, he's going in a deal for Carl Crawford: him, McCarthy, Sweeney, Anderson, and about another thirty players... :D:

esbrechtel
09-19-2006, 08:56 AM
i dont know if im wild about us trying to convert another infielder to play outfield....it will be just like mackowiak of this year in center...

stl_sox_fan
09-19-2006, 09:11 AM
Nice first AB by the kid. "The kids can play II" the motto next year? BTW, I just watched the highlight on whitesox.com. Nice to see Hawk woke up right as the ball left the field of play.

"Zzzzzzzz...wha...looks up...put it on the board...zzzzzzzzz."

Fungo
09-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Kudos to Josh on his HR in his first MLB at-bat. Folks that were at the game know how wind-blown it really was. Congrats nonetheless.

Thome25
09-19-2006, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't mind him being out there in LF in 2007 but, I sure hope we don't have a repeat of BA this year.

southside rocks
09-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Bring on the kids! As Farmio said after Fields whacked it, 'there's one bright spot in this otherwise gloomy evening.' :wink:

I loved it that Razor Shines was out there to give Fields a hug as he crossed the plate. Wouldn't it be nice if Shines were to stay on next year as a coach?

DrummerGeorgefan
09-19-2006, 12:35 PM
I was out behind the BP when that shot was launched and I have never seen a ball that high go out

Chicken Dinner
09-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Didn't everyone say the same thing last year after BA hit a couple of homers off of King Felix in Seattle? :?:

nkmcc
09-19-2006, 01:09 PM
I was sitting in the second row of 160 when he came to bat and I told the people I was with that it was his first at bat. He then proceded to hit it about 10-15 feet from me. That was a huge bright spot in an otherwise big disappointment.

MrX
09-19-2006, 01:37 PM
Nice first AB by the kid. "The kids can play II" the motto next year? BTW, I just watched the highlight on whitesox.com. Nice to see Hawk woke up right as the ball left the field of play.

"Zzzzzzzz...wha...looks up...put it on the board...zzzzzzzzz."
I think he thought it was just a flyout, that ball hung up there for awhile.

Since the offense went in the toilet he's given up on "stretch"

JB98
09-19-2006, 01:53 PM
i dont know if im wild about us trying to convert another infielder to play outfield....it will be just like mackowiak of this year in center...

El Caballo was converted from a 3B to a LF. In fact, Carlos never played a game in the outfield until he was called up to the Sox. There is precedent for it, although that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to work. Let Fields play OF in winter ball and let him compete for a spot next spring. We'll see. The kid is an excellent athlete.

The Sox do have to make a decision about Fields. He's obviously ready to compete for a spot on the big-league roster, but he doesn't have a chance in hell of winning the 3B job with the Sox. Crede is one of the best in the business. The only thing Fields can do that Crede can't do is run and steal bases.

I want Mags back
09-19-2006, 01:56 PM
No, no, no, Carl Crawford will be in LF :tongue:

now that would be nice

Madvora
09-19-2006, 02:11 PM
The Sox do have to make a decision about Fields. He's obviously ready to compete for a spot on the big-league roster,
I wouldn't say "obviously." Remember that's one at bat.
Hopefully this guy does well. It's nice knowing that we have some talent in the minors. I'm not too sure about having both Anderson and Fields in the starting lineup next year though. That might be a little risky. Hopfully we are stocked with top notch major leaguers next year.

JB98
09-19-2006, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't say "obviously." Remember that's one at bat.
Hopefully this guy does well. It's nice knowing that we have some talent in the minors. I'm not too sure about having both Anderson and Fields in the starting lineup next year though. That might be a little risky. Hopfully we are stocked with top notch major leaguers next year.

I said he's "obviously ready to compete for a spot," not that he's ready for a spot. Shines was recently quoted as saying Fields was the best player in Charlotte this year, and I'll trust Razor's expertise. I don't know whether Josh's time has come or not, but even if he had struck out on three pitches last night, I would argue that he's ready to compete for a spot and that a decision on him needs to be made. I don't think he has a future in this organization at 3B unless something happens to Crede.

batmanZoSo
09-19-2006, 02:20 PM
You know who else homered in his first AB? CLee. Off Tom Candiotti.

I rest my case.

Lorenzo Barcelo
09-19-2006, 02:38 PM
El Caballo was converted from a 3B to a LF. In fact, Carlos never played a game in the outfield until he was called up to the Sox. There is precedent for it, although that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to work. Let Fields play OF in winter ball and let him compete for a spot next spring. We'll see. The kid is an excellent athlete.

The Sox do have to make a decision about Fields. He's obviously ready to compete for a spot on the big-league roster, but he doesn't have a chance in hell of winning the 3B job with the Sox. Crede is one of the best in the business. The only thing Fields can do that Crede can't do is run and steal bases.

Thats why I think he can play the outfield. He can't be any worse than Mack and Pods. If Carlos Lee can go a whole season without making an error then why not give Fields a chance out there?

Madvora
09-19-2006, 02:44 PM
What's his fielding at 3B like? Is he supposed to be average there or is he a pretty good defender?

The Dude
09-19-2006, 02:46 PM

Yes, yes and more yes!
Hopefully he can get the defensive area of LF down and we will be back in business. I can't imagine he'd be worse than Pods at his best.

maurice
09-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Congrats, Josh!
:gulp:

Pretty good couple of months for him: named I.L. rookie of the year, got engaged, received MLB callup, and hit HR in 1st MLB AB. All he needs now is an amazing Sox winning streak, leading to the MLB playoffs and another WS victory.

infohawk
09-19-2006, 03:11 PM
Since the offense went in the toilet he's given up on "stretch"
Yeah, now it's more like "stench, stench!"

tick53
09-19-2006, 06:20 PM
It's going to be interesting to see how he fields the ball.

:D: "I kill me."

Hitmen77
09-19-2006, 09:32 PM
You know who else homered in his first AB? CLee. Off Tom Candiotti.

I rest my case.

http://www.rob-clarkson.com/duff-brewery/lionelhutz/01.jpg
Hutz: Thank you, Dr. Hibbert. I rest my case.
Judge: You rest your case?
Hutz: What? Oh no, I thought that was just a figure of speech. CASE CLOSED.

esbrechtel
09-19-2006, 09:48 PM
What's his fielding at 3B like? Is he supposed to be average there or is he a pretty good defender?

i remember hearing (by hearing i mean reading) on this board that he made aramis ramirez look like brooks robinson....ive never actually seen him play

JB98
09-19-2006, 11:00 PM

Average at best. Joe Crede he is not.

thomas35forever
09-19-2006, 11:05 PM
It won't surprise me if Podsednik stays around next season and Ozzie switches them off as often next year as he has with Anderson and Mackowiak this year.

batmanZoSo
09-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Average at best. Joe Crede he is not.

Yeah, I'd like to see what he can do in left when the time comes, where defense isn't as crucial. And really if he maxes out, will he put up much better numbers than 06 Crede? Doubtful.

JB98
09-19-2006, 11:08 PM
Yeah, I'd like to see what he can do in left when the time comes, where defense isn't as crucial. And really if he maxes out, will he put up much better numbers than 06 Crede? Doubtful.

The good thing about Fields is he is NOT a base plugger. He can run, so that means him getting a chance next season isn't out of the question. There's no way in hell Ozzie is going to let another slow guy find his way into this lineup.

Lack of speed is really the only weakness in Crede's game. There's no chance that Fields supplants him unless Joe gets hurt.