PDA

View Full Version : Jeter and clear media protection

app2686
09-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Last night, it's the 7th inning and the Yankees are holding a narrow 4 - 2 lead on the Red Sox. The Yankees have a man on second with 1 out when Derek Jeter comes to the plate. Keep in mind: Jeter is hitless for the night, and his 25 game hit streak is in jeopardy.

The opposing pitcher throws Jeter three straight balls, and now Jeter has the great fortune to find himself in a 3 - 0 count. Because a walk is so likely, the chances that Jeter will continue his hit streak are almost dead, but Jeter will have none of that. The next pitch is clearly low and away and yet Jeter swings away. He ends up grounding out to the 1st basemen for the 2nd out of the inning. Jeter significantly kills the Yankee's chances of padding their lead in a very close ballgame. The Yankees would go onto lose that game 5 to 4.

The consensus is that Jeter clearly swung to extend his hit streak. And yet there is NO discussion about it. The ESPN announcers didn't even bother to mention it and the event hardly got any publicity whatsoever.

Now what Jeter did was clearly selfish. We're taught from a very young age that the team always come before the player. Always.

However, Jeter's selfishness last night is not the issue (However I don't condone his selfish play either). It's fairly common for players to play for their stats rather than their team.

The issue is that amidst a highly contested AL MVP race, every player should reciever EQUAL media attention. Good or bad. And yet this is a clear example of media favoritism.

Especially given some of the MVP criteria, if more were aware of what Jeter did, who knows how this might affect the AL MVP race. But the fact of the matter is, it seems most will never know.

BiggestFan14
09-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Maybe he swung at the bad ball because he did want to help his team, but just made a bad mistake. You can't say the only reason he swung was for the hitting streak. One at bat like that won't hurt anyones MVP chances anyways... But I don't care who gets media attention or who doesn't. Whoever plays better and gets more votes will win.

app2686
09-18-2006, 11:02 PM
Dude, it was clearly low and away. No one in their right mind swings on a 3 - 0 pitch that's low and away. He was really reaching for that pitch. The fact that he grounded out to the 1st basemen really indicates something about the quality of the pitch.

BiggestFan14
09-18-2006, 11:06 PM
AJ Pierzynski would have swung at it. I have seen others do it too.

munchman33
09-18-2006, 11:40 PM
AJ Pierzynski would have swung at it. I have seen others do it too.

Not on 3-0. You take 3-0. Especially if you're down. And in the rare case you do swing, it better be a cookie.

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-18-2006, 11:43 PM
I was told to ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS take a 3-0 pitch.

BiggestFan14
09-18-2006, 11:50 PM
Yet I have still seen it done, even at the high levels of professional baseball. Good pitches and bad ones.

Nellie_Fox
09-19-2006, 12:45 AM
...he grounded out to the 1st basemen...How many were there? :tongue:

Oblong
09-19-2006, 08:50 AM
What if it were ARod with the 25 game hitting streak and he did this? What would the media and fans be saying about him? Would they be cutting him the same slack?

I think that's kind of the point of the original poster.

Paulwny
09-19-2006, 12:19 PM
My god, the yankmees have the div all wrapped up, Jeter was probably given the " hit away" sign. Torre figured this was the best pitch for Jeter to keep the streak alive. The game meant nothing.
If the game actually meant anything, I'm positive that Jeter would be taking.

DumpJerry
09-19-2006, 05:18 PM
Well, Aaron Rowand would have gotten the hit.

spiffie
09-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Well, Aaron Rowand would have gotten the hit.
And Rob Mackowiak would have promptly turned it into an inside-the-park homer.

MarySwiss
09-19-2006, 05:59 PM
My god, the yankmees have the div all wrapped up, Jeter was probably given the " hit away" sign. Torre figured this was the best pitch for Jeter to keep the streak alive. The game meant nothing.
Whether or not that's true, the point the original poster was making is that nobody in the media seemed to think twice about it or question it which, considering that Jeter is in the midst of a heated MVP race, certainly seems to be preferential treatment. Of course, we all know that could never happen.

app2686
09-20-2006, 03:22 PM

Even if the Yankees have the division wrapped up, they're still playing for home field advantage. They need to win as many games as they can to ensure they finish with the best record in the AL.