PDA

View Full Version : Honest View from a Twins fan's perspective.

twinkiesfan08
09-18-2006, 09:26 PM
I hail from Rube Chat (A MN Sports forum), but i've been lurking here for awhile just to see what your perspective is. There's a lot of negativity around here (for good reason I suppose) but you shouldn't lose all hope. I'm still real worried about making the playoffs especially if it comes down to the final series. Every time we play you, I expect a loss (unless Johan is pitching of course).

Anyway, you guys have some great talent, and I think your pitching will bounce back next year. THe only thing I'd be worried about is if Joe Crede can play as well next year as he has this year. But honestly, you have some good pitchers who are veterans and should bounce back next year. And to call for Ozzie's head is a bad idea. He's a good manager and you've had a great season. To be fair, we've just gotten really lucky and that's why we're ahead.

So again with the lurking thing, I've noticed that you kinda hate everything Twins in here, so this might not hold much water with you, but if I were you I'd be a little more optimistic. The season isn't over, and it's not like all your best players are 45 and in their last year. You've got a pretty bright future and a GM who will spend the money to make you a serious contender soon enough.

-Twinky

Palehose13
09-18-2006, 09:29 PM
First, welcome aboard.

Second, It's kinda odd to see a Twin fan with more perspective than a lot of the fans here. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Third, Dammit Buehrle! :angry:

cheezheadsoxfan
09-18-2006, 09:36 PM
I hail from Rube Chat (A MN Sports forum), but i've been lurking here for awhile just to see what your perspective is. There's a lot of negativity around here (for good reason I suppose) but you shouldn't lose all hope. I'm still real worried about making the playoffs especially if it comes down to the final series. Every time we play you, I expect a loss (unless Johan is pitching of course).

Anyway, you guys have some great talent, and I think your pitching will bounce back next year. THe only thing I'd be worried about is if Joe Crede can play as well next year as he has this year. But honestly, you have some good pitchers who are veterans and should bounce back next year. And to call for Ozzie's head is a bad idea. He's a good manager and you've had a great season. To be fair, we've just gotten really lucky and that's why we're ahead.

So again with the lurking thing, I've noticed that you kinda hate everything Twins in here, so this might not hold much water with you, but if I were you I'd be a little more optimistic. The season isn't over, and it's not like all your best players are 45 and in their last year. You've got a pretty bright future and a GM who will spend the money to make you a serious contender soon enough.

-Twinky

Thank you. Very nice post, made me feel better (well just a little).

oeo
09-18-2006, 09:40 PM

-Twinky

The room for optimism is growing by the out. They're currently 11 outs away from being 6 games back in the division, and probably 5 in the Wild Card.

As for Crede...he was supposed to come up as a big offensive guy, he's finally come into his own. He was very good to end the year last year, as well (could have been the WS MVP). I'm not worried about him one bit...if he can stay healthy.

And any idiot that wants Ozzie gone, is just that, an idiot. This team has all the makings of another championship team, they just could not put it all together with consistency all year. Not Ozzie's fault, they underperformed.

The Sox will probably go through some big changes over the offseason, and hopefully be back in the postseason next year...it's going to be real tough to do it now.

southside rocks
09-18-2006, 10:00 PM
...I've noticed that you kinda hate everything Twins in here...
-Twinky

Speaking only for myself, I hate the Twins because they're playing the kind of baseball that I think the White Sox should be playing. It's a hatred born of envy.

Well, that and they play in the most dogawful ugly stadium I have EVER seen.

Thanks for the perspective. Again speaking only for myself, it helps. :tongue:

esbrechtel
09-18-2006, 10:01 PM
interesting to see form another perspective...as for Joe Crede he will continue to be good and get better...i just hope he will be in a sox uni for quite awhile...

SoxandtheCityTee
09-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Welcome and thanks for the kind and quite reasonable remarks. Just as you feel that the Sox have the talent to win each game they play, we do too, so when they don't, the negativity flows. I don't lurk at any Twins sites but I've glanced a couple times at the Tigers board and it's safe to say there's plenty of anxiety and anguish to go around near the end of a three-way Divisional race.

ChicagoHoosier
09-18-2006, 10:47 PM
I for one appreciate the post. I always respect fans from opposing teams who are intelligent, respectful, and courteous to their opponent. It's fun to jab back and forth as well as give kudos to the other team.

Thanks for posting and if you make it to the post season, good luck. Until it's been decided, I sincerely hope you get swept by the other Sox over the next few days. I'm not yet giving up!

twinkiesfan08
09-18-2006, 10:47 PM
thanks for the welcome. but don't get me wrong, I will talk some smack, I just don't want to kick you guys while you're down, cause God knows the Twins have been there.

The thing I've noticed this year is the importance of a bullpenn. We've really only had mediocre starting pitching this year, especially if you take Santana and Liriano out of the equation. However our pen saves us time and time again and we rarely lose a close game when we've got the game. If the sox can pick up some nice relievers I think that is the key to becoming a serious contender again.

batmanZoSo
09-18-2006, 10:49 PM
thanks for the welcome. but don't get me wrong, I will talk some smack, I just don't want to kick you guys while you're down, cause God knows the Twins have been there.

The thing I've noticed this year is the importance of a bullpenn. We've really only had mediocre starting pitching this year, especially if you take Santana and Liriano out of the equation. However our pen saves us time and time again and we rarely lose a close game when we've got the game. If the sox can pick up some nice relievers I think that is the key to becoming a serious contender again.

Well, if you talk any smack, you'll be gone. Just so you know.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-18-2006, 10:50 PM
Twinkiesfan -

The general concensus of being pissed at the world is that the Sox have been looking up at the Twins for the last few years(barring 2005). It seems we got the whole formula right, then, with adding to it, we ourselves cracked - internally. We hit, we don't pitch. We pitch, we don't hit(and I mean, move runners, not hit for the fences), Or, on ALOT of nights, we did neither.

That's what kills me. Because the Twins, DO do those things. Hit, pitch, move people along, and win.

batmanZoSo
09-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Twinkiesfan -

The general concensus of being pissed at the world is that the Sox have been looking up at the Twins for the last few years(barring 2005). It seems we got the whole formula right, then, with adding to it, we ourselves cracked - internally. We hit, we don't pitch. We pitch, we don't hit(and I mean, move runners, not hit for the fences), Or, on ALOT of nights, we did neither.

That's what kills me. Because the Twins, DO do those things. Hit, pitch, move people along, and win.

The Twins will meet the Sox on the golf course a week late, Detroit to follow no later.

twinkiesfan08
09-18-2006, 10:56 PM
Twinkiesfan -

Agreed. However, if I do ever try to use all our wins against you, at least for this year you can always use the World Series win because I'd rather have one world series in five years than 4 playoff trips with no wins.

But yeah I think I've kinda been there. Remember this is the first year the Twins have REALLY put it together (albeit only for about 2/3 of the year) and hit for average and power, along with our old favorite of pitching defense and baserunning. We used to be ONLY pitching and baserunning and I tell ya, it's tough losing games 1-0.

kevingrt
09-18-2006, 11:20 PM
First, welcome aboard.

Second, It's kinda odd to see a Twin fan with more perspective than a lot of the fans here. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Third, Dammit Buehrle! :angry:

So true in so many ways.

chisoxmike
09-19-2006, 12:34 AM

-Twinky

:rolleyes:

Wow, that really made me feel better. Have fun in the playoffs.:whiner:

Foulke You
09-19-2006, 12:55 AM
Excellent point. If you look at the three AL Central contenders, one of the biggest differences between us and them is the bullpens. The Twins have an incredible pen this year and Joe Nathan is the best closer this side of Mariano Rivera. The Tigers also have a good bullpen with Zumaya, Rodney, and Todd Jones shortening games for Detroit.

The '06 White Sox were completely missing that "lights out" element from the '05 team. When our starters gave us a quality start in '05 and we had the lead, the game was over. When a starter had a bad game, you could count on the bullpen to keep the game close until the offense could come back. You knew Cliff Politte, Neal Cotts, Dustin Hermanson/Bobby Jenks were going to come in and shut the door. That has definitely not been the case as our bullpen has been like a powder keg lately. I'm not saying the 2006 team with an improved bullpen would have won it all, but I think we certainly would be in the playoffs and not fading on September 18th.

markopat
09-19-2006, 08:58 AM
Did anyone else see the real point of Twinky's message?

"There's a lot of negativity around here..."

I know the results of 06 have been severely different than 07, but I got to the point in the 2nd half where I didn't even come to this site to read because of the negativity. The chat room was the same way. Until we are mathematically eliminated, I will cheer this team on...Maybe it will be today or tomorrow, but right now, this morning, there is still hope. And if it does happen that our season is over soon, then I will get fired up for next year and believe that KW will add to the bright spots that we had this year. We may be losing the battle, but we have not lost the war.

Go Go SOX!

Thanks Twinky...Sorry I cannot root for your team in the playoffs...I am a White Sox fan.

soxfan13
09-19-2006, 09:00 AM

"There's a lot of negativity around here..."

I know the results of 06 have been severely different than 07, but I got to the point in the 2nd half where I didn't even come to this site to read because of the negativity. The chat room was the same way. Until we are mathematically eliminated, I will cheer this team on...Maybe it will be today or tomorrow, but right now, this morning, there is still hope. And if it does happen that our season is over soon, then I will get fired up for next year and believe that KW will add to the bright spots that we had this year. We may be losing the battle, but we have not lost the war.

Go Go SOX!

Thanks Twinky...Sorry I cannot root for your team in the playoffs...I am a White Sox fan.

Im with you Markopat GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!

Thome25
09-19-2006, 10:04 AM

-Twinky

Welcome aboard. It's good to see there's Twinkie fans who aren't trolls on here. I hope you're right about us getting it back together here soon.

twinkiesfan08
09-19-2006, 09:52 PM

Haha it's understandable.

This brings up an interesting topic though. According to the general population of White Sox fans (and assuming the four playoff teams are the Twins, Tigers, Yanks, and Athletics) who do you root for? If you put the Sox in place of the Twins on that list I really don't know who I'd be goin' for. Certainly not the Yankees though. Probably just the national league :smile:

cleanwsox
09-19-2006, 09:56 PM

This brings up an interesting topic though. According to the general population of White Sox fans (and assuming the four playoff teams are the Twins, Tigers, Yanks, and Athletics) who do you root for? If you put the Sox in place of the Twins on that list I really don't know who I'd be goin' for. Certainly not the Yankees though. Probably just the national league :smile:

Well, seeing that I am from MN my order is this...

1. A's
2. Tigers
3. Yankees
4. Twins

And whoever is playing in the NL is my rooting interest in the World Series. I'd rather not have to face Twins fans for the next year with a title in their back pocket.

PKalltheway
09-19-2006, 10:03 PM

-Twinky
I wouldn't be too concerned. If the Sox are 2.5 back going into the final series, then yeah, I would be. Sadly, I don't see that happening (I hope the Sox suprise me though). The only thing I would be concerned about if I were a Twins fan is who they would face in the first round. The Twins are AWFUL in Yankee Stadium. They're almost as bad there as the White Sox are in Oakland.:o:

twinkiesfan08
09-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Yeah i can tell you from experience, that's not a fun thing to have to do.

Daver
09-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Welcome aboard. It's good to see there's Twinkie fans who aren't trolls on here. I hope you're right about us getting it back together here soon.

Ma has been here for years and never trolled.

BA: The Hitman
09-19-2006, 10:18 PM

Definitely gotta go with the A's first because of Big Frank. Then probably the Tigers. And you could flip a coin for the yankees and twins because I'm pretty sure I despise both of those teams equally. For sure the National League in the WS as well.

ma-gaga
09-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Ma has been here for years and never trolled.

I keep a pretty low profile. :cool:

Actually, there's just such a big community here now, I blend in... People think I'm a dark cloud or something.

thomas35forever
09-19-2006, 11:03 PM

-Twinky
You've helped us look forward to next season a lot. Remember, nobody likes to be a Timberwolf (not the bball team).

Harry Potter
09-19-2006, 11:12 PM
If the Sox are 2.5 back going into the final series

Explain how that's possible?

twinkiesfan08
09-19-2006, 11:14 PM
Explain how that's possible?

Haven't you ever seen "Angels in the Outfield"?

You just gotta believe, and flap those arms, baby.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-19-2006, 11:22 PM
I blend in... People think I'm a dark cloud or something.

:rolling:

Camouflage!

davenicholson
09-20-2006, 09:11 AM
... assuming the four playoff teams are the Twins, Tigers, Yanks, and Athletics) who do you root for?
The Bears.

esbrechtel
09-20-2006, 09:22 AM
The Bears.

:kneeslap:

guillen4life13
09-20-2006, 11:46 AM
I'll be rooting for the A's to win the whole thing. I'm pulling for Frank to contribute to a championship of his own.