PDA

View Full Version : Getting a little nuts.

dwalteroo
09-18-2006, 05:32 PM
My subject line is a new theory I have on why this year has been so difficult for the Sox. I was thinking about the players we traded away last year, and one thing all of a suddent came to mind - a number of them, taking away everything they did on the field, were a lot of fun A LOT of the time. By that, what I mean to say is that they joked around a lot. Willie Harris, Rowand, Geoff Blum, for example. They liked things loose, they had fun on the bench, they were outgoing.

And this year, it seems as though nothing has been loose. Nothing has come easy. It's been all work and no play for a very long time, for at least the entire second half. Now I know a lot of that has to do with the expectations for this team - they went out and got better on paper in the offseason for crying out loud. They were supposed to win again. But maybe the key ingredient they don't have, both in losing some players who knew how to joke around and in those "need to repeat" expectations, is that sense of "this is supposed to be a good time." Maybe that's the key to winning - that's my new theory at least.

Right now, this team has nothing to lose. They might as well erase everything, and go out there and give it their absolute best shot with all the swagger of a team that has, absolutely, nothing to lose. Maybe they will have some fun doing it.

Scottzilla
09-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Your theory is wrong because all the clubhouse cancers are gone this year.

samram
09-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Maybe they should have Jeff Foxworthy come in and do some "You might be a redneck if.." jokes before the game- World Series, here we come!!!!

Jurr
09-18-2006, 05:54 PM
My subject line is a new theory I have on why this year has been so difficult for the Sox. I was thinking about the players we traded away last year, and one thing all of a suddent came to mind - a number of them, taking away everything they did on the field, were a lot of fun A LOT of the time. By that, what I mean to say is that they joked around a lot. Willie Harris, Rowand, Geoff Blum, for example. They liked things loose, they had fun on the bench, they were outgoing.

And this year, it seems as though nothing has been loose. Nothing has come easy. It's been all work and no play for a very long time, for at least the entire second half. Now I know a lot of that has to do with the expectations for this team - they went out and got better on paper in the offseason for crying out loud. They were supposed to win again. But maybe the key ingredient they don't have, both in losing some players who knew how to joke around and in those "need to repeat" expectations, is that sense of "this is supposed to be a good time." Maybe that's the key to winning - that's my new theory at least.

Right now, this team has nothing to lose. They might as well erase everything, and go out there and give it their absolute best shot with all the swagger of a team that has, absolutely, nothing to lose. Maybe they will have some fun doing it.

This was a team that got caught up in its celebrity instead of coming together early to build enough cohesion to survive the tough times.

This was a team without an identity other than "2005 Champs".

dwalteroo
09-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Yeah, Jurr, I agree with that. It's like they could never figure out who they were, and maybe THEREFORE, they never had any fun doing it.

Not to get all psychological. I'll still take a sweep of Detroit, even if Crazy Carl isn't yelling for his wife afterwards.

oeo
09-18-2006, 06:36 PM

It's always easy to smile and have fun when you're winning.

Besides, I've seen plenty of times where guys were in the dugout smiling and joking around. I see Dye doing it a lot before games, and he even does a little "dance" with Uribe after one of two hit a homerun or something.

The difference between this year and last year is inconsistency. They've never brought it all together, something is always down, whether it be the offense, starters, or bullpen.

JB98
09-18-2006, 06:41 PM

Meh. I agree there are plenty of long faces in the dugout right now, but the same thing was true last September when Cleveland was making its charge. Given the choice between jokester Willie Harris or a guy who can actually play baseball at a high level, I'll take the guy who can play baseball.

esbrechtel
09-18-2006, 07:07 PM
i think this team has the heart, the leadership, and the attitude to win games...i just think the inconsistancy has killed them, they have yet to fire on all cylinders...one week our starting pitching is good but our offense is bad, or our offense is good and our bullpen is bad or our bullpen is good (there was a stretch where they were) and everything else is bad..if the team could all be good at once they could go on a run...for say 12 games? :praying:

Madvora
09-18-2006, 07:15 PM
This was a team that got caught up in its celebrity instead of coming together early to build enough cohesion to survive the tough times.

This was a team without an identity other than "2005 Champs".
I don't think so.

The first half of the season the Sox were destroying everybody and we still heard that, "every night, a new hero" talk.

They were having a hell of a time and so were all of us.

Bottom line, they just fell apart. There's no psychological reason for it. They just fell apart.

SoxSpeed22
09-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Guess what?
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7577/1975/200/cafebutton.1.jpg

cheezheadsoxfan
09-18-2006, 07:30 PM
I don't think so.

The first half of the season the Sox were destroying everybody and we still heard that, "every night, a new hero" talk.

They were having a hell of a time and so were all of us.

Bottom line, they just fell apart. There's no psychological reason for it. They just fell apart.

I think Ozzie's tinkering had a lot to do with also.

23Ventura
09-18-2006, 11:50 PM
This team was 26 games over .500 at the all-star break. How does a team that just won the World Series, and then have that kind of first half just lose it seemingly overnight? I feel like I stopped watching the Sox halfway through the season and started following the Royals instead. How can they go from so good to so bad that quickly?

eurotrash35
09-18-2006, 11:55 PM
I think Ozzie's tinkering had a lot to do with also.

ozzie definitely lost the golden touch this year, but it's not all on him. there had to a point this season where he just threw his hands up because nobody he called on could get the ****ing job done.

eurotrash35
09-18-2006, 11:56 PM
This team was 26 games over .500 at the all-star break. How does a team that just won the World Series, and then have that kind of first half just lose it seemingly overnight? I feel like I stopped watching the Sox halfway through the season and started following the Royals instead. How can they go from so good to so bad that quickly?

man, that's the first time I've read such an accurate, succinct description of the season. so sad yet so true.