PDA

View Full Version : Why did we pitch to Thomas yesterday ?

OzzyTrain
09-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Someone please tell me why we have 1 out , A's have runners on 2nd and 3rd and first base open, yet we pitch to Thomas. Why ?

I'm scratching my head still

Jerko
09-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Because Chavez, a lefty, was up next.

BainesHOF
09-18-2006, 03:55 PM
The correct answer is because we're stupid.

salty99
09-18-2006, 04:01 PM
The correct answer is because we're stupid.

DING DING DING! Especially after Ozzie said he wouldn't let Frank beat us this series!

CaptainBallz
09-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Someone please tell me why we have 1 out , A's have runners on 2nd and 3rd and first base open, yet we pitch to Thomas. Why ?

I believe the real question is "why throw the one pitch to Thomas that you can't afford to throw in that situation?"

The answer is "That's how the 2006 Sox roll."

SOXandILLINI
09-18-2006, 04:02 PM
DING DING DING! Especially after Ozzie said he wouldn't let Frank beat us this series!
i love how bill melton tried to put the blame on don cooper or contreras... while we said all week frank is the one guy that we can't let beat us... who, i ask, is running this team?

Medford Bobby
09-18-2006, 04:17 PM
I was listning to the XM feed of the A's broadcast and they said "Boy if your the White Sox do you walk Thomas at this "at bat"?? They thought the Sox should as Thomas has been hot...and just as they were giving reasons to walk him...."DING":o:

kittle42
09-18-2006, 04:28 PM
I was listning to the XM feed of the A's broadcast and they said "Boy if your the White Sox do you walk Thomas at this "at bat"??

Did they misuse the apostrophe while they were talking, and, if so, how could you tell? :cool:

Jaffar
09-18-2006, 05:09 PM
Did they misuse the apostrophe while they were talking, and, if so, how could you tell? :cool:

ZING! :kneeslap:

Ol' No. 2
09-18-2006, 05:12 PM
I believe the real question is "why throw the one pitch to Thomas that you can't afford to throw in that situation?"

The answer is "That's how the 2006 Sox roll."If only we had good scouting on Thomas to know what kind of pitch to throw him in that situation.

maurice
09-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Because Ozzie's banter to the media and his actual conduct bear absolutely no relationship to one another.

JB98
09-18-2006, 05:19 PM
I didn't have problems with throwing Frank a fastball in that situation, but it has to be in the right spot. Namely, belt high or above. If Frank lays off, he takes his base. If he swings, he's out. Instead, it was thigh-high, middle-in. That's wheelhouse.

Terrible location by Contreras.

TomBradley72
09-18-2006, 05:33 PM
Because we don't think.

If for no other reason than to set up a potential double play with a struggling Chavez coming to the plate..you walk Frank once the count gets to 3-2.

DickAllen72
09-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Because Ozzie's banter to the media and his actual conduct bear absolutely no relationship to one another.

We have a winner!

dwalteroo
09-18-2006, 05:42 PM
I'm sorry but I don't entirely buy into the lefty-vs-righty decisions. If a guy can hit (Thomas), he can hit. Situational stats are one thing, but when a guy is on, he's on. Doesn't matter which arm delivers the meatball.

TomBradley72
09-18-2006, 05:52 PM
Because over the last 30 days...Thomas is hitting .340 but Chavez in hitting .247.

kitekrazy
09-18-2006, 05:53 PM

They've done that a lot the 2nd half. WHen the team is not hitting they should everything they can to conserve runs.

JB98
09-18-2006, 06:10 PM
Because we don't think.

If for no other reason than to set up a potential double play with a struggling Chavez coming to the plate..you walk Frank once the count gets to 3-2.

I think you try to make a great pitch. Either bounce a fork ball and hope Frank chases or climb the ladder with a heater. If you walk him in the process, so what?

I wouldn't have walked him intentionally myself, so I don't place the blame on Ozzie or the coaches. I do, however, place blame on AJ and Contreras for poor pitch selection and poor execution.

Ol' No. 2
09-18-2006, 06:14 PM
I think you try to make a great pitch. Either bounce a fork ball and hope Frank chases or climb the ladder with a heater. If you walk him in the process, so what?

I wouldn't have walked him intentionally myself, so I don't place the blame on Ozzie or the coaches. I do, however, place blame on AJ and Contreras for poor pitch selection and poor execution.Exactly, although I'd have jammed him. That's always been a pitch he's had a hard time handling. Look for the trademark Frank Thomas popup.

JB98
09-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Exactly, although I'd have jammed him. That's always been a pitch he's had a hard time handling. Look for the trademark Frank Thomas popup.

I would have liked to have seen Jose climb the ladder with a heater because I don't think Frank can get to a 93-95 mph fastball belt-high or above at this stage of his career. I think you do him a favor by throwing him a breaking ball. He's the best breaking-ball hitter I've ever seen.

But you and I are on the same train of thought. You try to make a great pitch, and if you walk him in the process, so be it. No reason whatsoever to mess around with the middle of the plate.

Ol' No. 2
09-18-2006, 06:22 PM
I would have liked to have seen Jose climb the ladder with a heater because I don't think Frank can get to a 93-95 mph fastball belt-high or above at this stage of his career. I think you do him a favor by throwing him a breaking ball. He's the best breaking-ball hitter I've ever seen.

But you and I are on the same train of thought. You try to make a great pitch, and if you walk him in the process, so be it. No reason whatsoever to mess around with the middle of the plate.Most of that AB they seemed to be going away.:?::?::?: One thing that hasn't diminished is Frank's eye. No way he's going to bite on those pitches. They managed to get ahead 0-2 and worked it to 3-2 with pitches off the plate. Makes no sense.

JB98
09-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Most of that AB they seemed to be going away.:?::?::?: One thing that hasn't diminished is Frank's eye. No way he's going to bite on those pitches. They managed to get ahead 0-2 and worked it to 3-2 with pitches off the plate. Makes no sense.

MacDougal went away, away, away, away on Saturday when he walked Frank with the bases loaded as well. It was mystified by that. Mac definitely has enough velocity to come in hard underneath Frank's hands and jam him.

TomBradley72
09-18-2006, 06:31 PM

I wouldn't have walked him intentionally myself, so I don't place the blame on Ozzie or the coaches. I do, however, place blame on AJ and Contreras for poor pitch selection and poor execution.

You have more faith in the Jose (2006 version) than I do...I'd worry about the fork ball in the dirt leading to a wild pitch/passed ball and a run...or not placing the pitch where it would be effective.

A .240 hitter was on deck...that's where I would have focused.

JB98
09-18-2006, 06:34 PM
You have more faith in the Jose (2006 version) than I do...I'd worry about the fork ball in the dirt leading to a wild pitch/passed ball and a run...or not placing the pitch where it would be effective.

A .240 hitter was on deck...that's where I would have focused.

The fork ball in the dirt is definitely a concern with a man on third. That's why I don't necessarily find fault with the choice to throw a fastball, but I do find fault with the location. AJ set up away, and Jose threw it down the pipe. That pitch needs to be thrown in or up.

You raise a valid point about the 2006 Jose. The 2005 Jose probably aces Frank on the outside corner with a fastball and gets the strike out. If that happens, we win yesterday, and this thread doesn't exist.

Jerko
09-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Because over the last 30 days...Thomas is hitting .340 but Chavez in hitting .247.

That doesn't matter in OZ, the world of lefty-righty matchups. :cool:

ode to veeck
09-18-2006, 06:45 PM
It was really stupid to even pitch to Frank on both Saturday and Sunday. He's a much better hitter with men on and with two strikes than Chavez is. Chavez's numbers with men in scoring position are actually pretty weak by comparison. In Sunday's game you would have enabled the DP with one out by putting Frank on an open 1st base.

Dumb dumb dumb.

esbrechtel
09-18-2006, 06:58 PM
when i saw that pitch i was so :angry:
and when the ball went over the fence....:whiner:

JorgeFabregas
09-18-2006, 07:34 PM
As you might guess, the situational stats were against pitching to Frank in that circumstance.

Frank's OPS vs. righties? An eye-popping .951. Chavez' is 130 points lower.

I agree, also, that Jose and AJ did a poor job at pitch selection. I was waiting for more inside fastballs, but they never came.

Hitmen77
09-18-2006, 09:12 PM

Because Ozzie belonged to that exclusive 1% of the people watching the game who didn't see a Thomas HR coming a mile away.

TDog
09-18-2006, 11:36 PM
Because intentionally walking the bases loaded will result in at least four runs on the walks that follow.

Or maybe because you don't put the go-ahead run on base. I wouldn't have walked him either.

The fault wasn't with not walking Thomas when a more dangerous hitter was following him. It was not getting him out.

Lip Man 1
09-18-2006, 11:46 PM
Kenny Williams tonight at whitesox.com has some 'pointed' comments about the way the Sox dealt with Frank over the weekend. It sounded like he wasn't very happy.

Lip

ode to veeck
09-19-2006, 08:59 AM
Because intentionally walking the bases loaded will result in at least four runs on the walks that follow.

:tealpolice:

The fault wasn't with not walking Thomas when a more dangerous hitter was following him. It was not getting him out.

Problem was Chavez is not a more dangerous hitter than Frank; his numbers suck with ducks on the pond.